Last Film you Watched?

Forum dedicated to discussion of movies and television.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

I think I’d pick looking attractive to men over fighting in a war that was sabotaged by our own media. I see your point, though.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

jkiss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm Well, if that’s true they need to hurry up and make a middle-age mom Barbie. That’s what I’m talking about!
Whoever ‘they’ are now? I think the only doll coming close for boys was G.I. JOE; as Uncle Sam, required their future services. However, during Vietnam it became demilitarized, even pulled from department stores shelves, in some places; all the body bags of draftees coming back home. I guess that's what you guys got for not adhering to the doll, dead. We weren't put into a ‘meat grinder’; so, maybe I shouldn't complain, after all.
You added that last part while I was responding to you. Yeah, I agree. Lol.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Banned
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Grand Classic »

Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm
jkiss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm Well, if that’s true they need to hurry up and make a middle-age mom Barbie. That’s what I’m talking about!
Whoever ‘they’ are now? I think the only doll coming close for boys was G.I. JOE; as Uncle Sam, required their future services. However, during Vietnam it became demilitarized, even pulled from department stores shelves, in some places; all the body bags of draftees coming back home. I guess that's what you guys got for not adhering to the doll, dead. We weren't put into a ‘meat grinder’; so, maybe I shouldn't complain, after all.
You added that last part while I was responding to you. Yeah, I agree. Lol.
Go watch Rounders. I want your review.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Go watch Rounders. I want your review.
Not sure I’ll have the energy or creativity to write an interesting review, but I will watch it and let you know what I think. :thumbup:
User avatar
Grand Classic
Banned
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Grand Classic »

Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:07 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Go watch Rounders. I want your review.
Not sure I’ll have the energy or creativity to write an interesting review, but I will watch it and let you know what I think. :thumbup:
I will be holding my breath. I want you to be won over.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:10 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:07 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Go watch Rounders. I want your review.
Not sure I’ll have the energy or creativity to write an interesting review, but I will watch it and let you know what I think. :thumbup:
I will be holding my breath. I want you to be won over.
Well don’t hold your breath for too long. Don’t want you to pass out or get brain damage or something. :D
User avatar
Grand Classic
Banned
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Grand Classic »

Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:19 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:10 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:07 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Go watch Rounders. I want your review.
Not sure I’ll have the energy or creativity to write an interesting review, but I will watch it and let you know what I think. :thumbup:
I will be holding my breath. I want you to be won over.
Well don’t hold your breath for too long. Don’t want you to pass out or get brain damage or something. :D
How did your husband die? Mrs.Grand Classic: Someone on a KISS forum took too long to watch a Matt Damon movie.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

:P
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 23256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Cynical critic, Extraordinaire

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by LordThurisaz »

jkiss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:17 pm
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:37 am
jkiss wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:12 am
Thunderous_Lay wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:17 am Barbie, which, ironically enough, turned out to be the strangest movie I've seen in a while...

For all the hype about Margot Robbie, it was Ryan Gosling who stole the show, pure and simple. Won't probably watch it again, but it's mind-boggling how absurd and kinda endearing his character turned out to be; he was the glue who kept it all together.

The above aside, it feels like the movie was written by someone who is bipolar and / or was working on two movies at the same time.

In a word, bit of a disjointed mess.
Ryan Gosling is doll, period. 🤩 I was wondering about this one, myself, and I read an occasion-inspired woman's commentary recently, entitled: “Why Barbie Must Be Punished”. 🤣 No kidding. When I was unexpectedly gifted my first Barbie (🎁 Malibu 🏄🏼‍♀️ Barbie, too, but later); one of the first things I was thinking to myself was 🤨, “I better look exactly like this when I get older or they'll be hell 🔥 to pay!” My Barbie(s) gave me so much anxiety, yet I was worrying over nothing. 😅 You guys have no idea, how pressurized it was for us girls to ‘somehow’ achieve ‘Barbie status’.

🪄 💃🏼
Oh, please. Men are pressured to look muscular with impossibly low body fat and over 6 feet tall.
Was there ever a doll for boys, one American boys were commonly gifted; whether they wanted one or not, and it's highly publicly insinuated it's just for the best to grow-up to look like the doll? I don't recall one, myself. And I never wanted a Barbie doll, either. Men were expected to meet men's ideals. Women were expected to meet men's ideals. Who’s setting the ideals? All being closer to twenty years before you were ever born.
It was like the only reason we were being gifted Barbie was to know what men expected us to look like; the standard all girls should eventually adhere to. Not only that, its completely normal. Nothing fishy about it all at, just study Barbie, figure her out, do your best to fully replicate her.
Just about all action figures were jacked -- from GI Joe, to WWF, to Marvel and DC Comics superheroes, to every single action figure in between. Sorry, Jkiss, but wild swing and a miss. Nice try, though.
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 23256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Cynical critic, Extraordinaire

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by LordThurisaz »

jkiss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm Well, if that’s true they need to hurry up and make a middle-age mom Barbie. That’s what I’m talking about!
Whoever ‘they’ are now? I think the only doll coming close for boys was G.I. JOE; as Uncle Sam, required their future services. However, during Vietnam it became demilitarized, even pulled from department stores shelves, in some places; all the body bags of draftees coming back home. I guess that's what you guys got for not adhering to the doll, dead. We weren't put into a ‘meat grinder’; so, maybe I shouldn't complain, after all.
Ah, you mean registering for the selective service system at 18, without fail, or else you are deemed a criminal and threatened with various punishments. Then, if you did get drafted, in order to avoid going off to war, you had to enter another country illegally, because it's expensive and difficult, leaving your family and friends behind.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Banned
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Grand Classic »

While I haven't seen the Barbie movie yet and I do want to, I just don't get the backlash it has received from mostly conservative men who are just outraged. That the film is negative towards men, etc.

First of all, it's a Barbie movie. Second of all, we have a 100 years of filmmaking that treat women like shit and like second class citizens, so is it really the end of the world if men are made to be the punchline here? I certainly won't care.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

Yeah, I’m going to have to pass on the Barbie flick. Not because of negativity towards men, just not interested.
User avatar
Thunderous_Lay
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8768
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am
Location: Barbieland

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

I'm just going to leave this here, as a person who was born in the early 80's...

Image
User avatar
jkiss
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5878
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by jkiss »

Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm
jkiss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm Well, if that’s true they need to hurry up and make a middle-age mom Barbie. That’s what I’m talking about!
Whoever ‘they’ are now? I think the only doll coming close for boys was G.I. JOE; as Uncle Sam, required their future services. However, during Vietnam it became demilitarized, even pulled from department stores shelves, in some places; all the body bags of draftees coming back home. Maybe that's what you guys got for not adhering to the doll, dead. We weren't put into a ‘meat grinder’; so, maybe I shouldn't complain, after all.
You added that last part while I was responding to you. Yeah, I agree. Lol.
I always do that. I post something, then realize it's a mess or poorly written or doesn't make sense, and then I have to start changing it. The draft itself was ‘unexpected’, but it's something that should've been expected. Men should ‘seriously prepare’ themselves, even ‘before’ basic training.
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:01 pm Ah, you mean registering for the selective service system at 18, without fail, or else you are deemed a criminal and threatened with various punishments. Then, if you did get drafted, in order to avoid going off to war, you had to enter another country illegally, because it's expensive and difficult, leaving your family and friends behind.
The draft hasn't been active since 1973. Upon an reinstatement of it would use a ‘draft lottery’ & wouldn't have anyone potentially handpicking draftees & showing favoritism (Clinton, Bush Jr. & Trump being the presidential dodgers), again. And that's all done through the SSS, since 1917.
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:37 am Just about all action figures were jacked -- from GI Joe, to WWF, to Marvel and DC Comics superheroes, to every single action figure in between. Sorry, Jkiss, but wild swing and a miss. Nice try, though.
I'm not updated enough on toys. I ignored those action-figures that were too physically exaggerated. I was so dismissive of them, and to the point I completely forgot about them. And I even forgot about He-Man. My boys liked Japanese Anime toys & “STAR WARS”. The Barbie phenomenon of the ancient times/another world, you just had to experience for yourself, as a girl, but that's impossible of course; in the context of the 1960s.
Last edited by jkiss on Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

jkiss wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:42 am I always do that. I post something, then realize it's a mess or poorly written or doesn't make sense, and then I have to start changing it. The draft itself was ‘unexpected’, but it's something that should've been expected. Men should ‘seriously prepare’ themselves, even ‘before’ basic training.
I do the same thing. I’m horrible about proofreading. The moment hit submit I notice a million mistakes.

As far as the Barbie debate goes—if that’s the way it made you feel there’s nothing anyone here can say that changes that. So I’ll take your word for it. I’m glad you eventually overcame your anxiety.
User avatar
jkiss
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5878
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by jkiss »

Black Ace wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:07 am
jkiss wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:42 am I always do that. I post something, then realize it's a mess or poorly written or doesn't make sense, and then I have to start changing it. The draft itself was ‘unexpected’, but it's something that should've been expected. Men should ‘seriously prepare’ themselves, even ‘before’ basic training.
I do the same thing. I’m horrible about proofreading. The moment hit submit I notice a million mistakes.

As far as the Barbie debate goes—if that’s the way it made you feel there’s nothing anyone here can say that changes that. So I’ll take your word for it. I’m glad you eventually overcame your anxiety.
I actually believe I one of the worst offenders for doing so. Plus, I can't resist 'overediting', either, and thanks BlackAce. 🤟🏼
User avatar
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 23256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Cynical critic, Extraordinaire

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by LordThurisaz »

jkiss wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:42 am
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:25 pm
jkiss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Black Ace wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:44 pm Well, if that’s true they need to hurry up and make a middle-age mom Barbie. That’s what I’m talking about!
Whoever ‘they’ are now? I think the only doll coming close for boys was G.I. JOE; as Uncle Sam, required their future services. However, during Vietnam it became demilitarized, even pulled from department stores shelves, in some places; all the body bags of draftees coming back home. Maybe that's what you guys got for not adhering to the doll, dead. We weren't put into a ‘meat grinder’; so, maybe I shouldn't complain, after all.
You added that last part while I was responding to you. Yeah, I agree. Lol.
I always do that. I post something, then realize it's a mess or poorly written or doesn't make sense, and then I have to start changing it. The draft itself was ‘unexpected’, but it's something that should've been expected. Men should ‘seriously prepare’ themselves, even ‘before’ basic training.
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:01 pm Ah, you mean registering for the selective service system at 18, without fail, or else you are deemed a criminal and threatened with various punishments. Then, if you did get drafted, in order to avoid going off to war, you had to enter another country illegally, because it's expensive and difficult, leaving your family and friends behind.
The draft hasn't been active since 1973. Upon an reinstatement of it would use a ‘draft lottery’ & wouldn't have anyone potentially handpicking draftees & showing favoritism (Clinton, Bush Jr. & Trump being the presidential dodgers), again. And that's all done through the SSS, since 1917.
LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:37 am Just about all action figures were jacked -- from GI Joe, to WWF, to Marvel and DC Comics superheroes, to every single action figure in between. Sorry, Jkiss, but wild swing and a miss. Nice try, though.
I'm not updated enough on toys. I ignored those action-figures that were too physically exaggerated. I was so dismissive of them, and to the point I completely forgot about them. And I even forgot about He-Man. My boys liked Japanese Anime toys & “STAR WARS”. The Barbie phenomenon of the ancient times/another world, you just had to experience for yourself, as a girl, but that's impossible of course; in the context of the 1960s.
I had to enlist for selective service during two wars and the discussion of reinstating the draft was brought up quite a bit around the time I was 18.

The unrealistic body standards also were available in lots of cartoons, shows, and movies, but please, continue to go on about how unrealistic Barbie is.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

Do any of you remember the John Holmes action figure? Talk about unrealistic expectations!
User avatar
jkiss
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5878
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by jkiss »

LordThurisaz wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:29 am The unrealistic body standards also were available in lots of cartoons, shows, and movies, but please, continue to go on about how unrealistic Barbie is.
I don't even know what your point is, so, let's forget it.
User avatar
Ludwig Paiste 77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6950
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

The Hustler, 1961 Paul Newman, George C. Scott, Piper Laurie, Jackie Gleason. Drama/Sports. A pool shark's travels from seedy playing room to another lead him to a potentially life-changing showdown with the legendary Minnesota Fats (Gleason). Set in the shady world of smoke- filled pool halls, this is a portrait of a damaged character who fears winning as much as losing.

There so much to this film that is realistic in its style and approach. I'll quote Roger Ebert "it's one of the few American movies in which the hero wins by surrendering, by accepting reality instead of his dreams." This film has many unexpected scenes and surprises, you don't know how each turn of events is going to turn out. It's one of my favorite movies that has such a strong uncompromising theme.
Paul Newman reprised his role as "Fast Eddie" Felson in the 1986 film The Color Of Money for which he won his one and only Academy Award for Best Actor in a leading role. It's suggested that this Oscar was in belated recognition for his performance in The Hustler as well as some of other Oscar nominated performances.
User avatar
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8557
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by steve »

Oppenheimer. Second viewing. I'm a Nolan fan, so I was always going to watch this. It's very impressive and Messrs Murphy and Downey Jr are magnificent and magnetic in their roles, but I felt the structure and pacing weren't all they could have been. The last act feels ponderous and anti climactic compared with what comes before. I would have interspersed more of that material with the earlier scenes at Los Alamos and had the storylines run in parallel. Nolan is no stranger to this sort of narrative and, to be frank, I'm a little disappointed he chose a straightforward, linear approach. Memento did the opposite and was all the better for it.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

Yesterday I watched the 2013 remake of Carrie, which I've been putting off for literally years.I really wanted to hate everything about it, but to my horror, I kind of enjoyed it. :shock:

Image

Nothing will ever surpass the Brian De Palma original,so let's just get that out of the way.
But I was curious & found that I was entertained by this version even if it fell short of perfection.

One big problem I had with it was the casting.
First of all, Chloe Grace Moretz is just way too cute, with those perfect babydoll facial features. No washed out , pale Sissy Spacek eyelashes here. This Carrie could've accidentally made the other school girls jealous, and maybe that was very delicately implied?
Otherwise, we just have to accept that she's a very pretty, socially awkward girl with a crazy-ass mom....and some crazy-ass powers.

Speaking of "Mama", that's another issue: Julianne Moore is a fine actress, but way too attractive to play Margaret White.
I don't care how unkempt her hair is. You can dress her in a potato sack and that lady still looks classy somehow.
She managed to pull off the violent scenes, but just didn't feel ....unstable enough somehow.

Oh....I was also mildly offended at first because they reversed the hair color of two important characters, making Sue Snell a blonde and Chris Hargenson a brunette. Oh well. I accepted it by the time it was "prom night".

And that brings me to another gripe: A PINKdress?!? Whaaaa??? Are you kidding me?
But again,I told myself to calm down and accept it.
And in the end it turned out to be....still weird. I never was able to embrace it. Carrie White should wear....white!!!

This remake is set in present day and initially, I thought that could ruin it, but they handled the use of modern technology well and actually enhanced the storyline with it.
With my list of complaints there, you might wonder how I can still say I enjoyed it. I guess I appreciated the fresh take on things.
It may be a supernatural story, but a lot of aspects of "Carrie" are timeless.
There will always be misfits in high school.
There will always be mean girls.
It was interesting to see a modern interpretation.
I thought they did a decent job of updating the story --and who knows, maybe some kids read the book as a result.
User avatar
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 22130
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 am
Location: In the Corner. Again.

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by His Majesty »

FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am Yesterday I watched the 2013 remake of Carrie, which I've been putting off for literally years.I really wanted to hate everything about it, but to my horror, I kind of enjoyed it. :shock:

Image

Nothing will ever surpass the Brian De Palma original,so let's just get that out of the way.
But I was curious & found that I was entertained by this version even if it fell short of perfection.

One big problem I had with it was the casting.
First of all, Chloe Grace Moretz is just way too cute, with those perfect babydoll facial features. No washed out , pale Sissy Spacek eyelashes here. This Carrie could've accidentally made the other school girls jealous, and maybe that was very delicately implied?
Otherwise, we just have to accept that she's a very pretty, socially awkward girl with a crazy-ass mom....and some crazy-ass powers.

Speaking of "Mama", that's another issue: Julianne Moore is a fine actress, but way too attractive to play Margaret White.
I don't care how unkempt her hair is. You can dress her in a potato sack and that lady still looks classy somehow.
She managed to pull off the violent scenes, but just didn't feel ....unstable enough somehow.

Oh....I was also mildly offended at first because they reversed the hair color of two important characters, making Sue Snell a blonde and Chris Hargenson a brunette. Oh well. I accepted it by the time it was "prom night".

And that brings me to another gripe: A PINKdress?!? Whaaaa??? Are you kidding me?
But again,I told myself to calm down and accept it.
And in the end it turned out to be....still weird. I never was able to embrace it. Carrie White should wear....white!!!

This remake is set in present day and initially, I thought that could ruin it, but they handled the use of modern technology well and actually enhanced the storyline with it.
With my list of complaints there, you might wonder how I can still say I enjoyed it. I guess I appreciated the fresh take on things.
It may be a supernatural story, but a lot of aspects of "Carrie" are timeless.
There will always be misfits in high school.
There will always be mean girls.
It was interesting to see a modern interpretation.
I thought they did a decent job of updating the story --and who knows, maybe some kids read the book as a result.
How did you feel about the 2002 remake? Just curious.
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

Dominion (the Exorcist prequel) directed by Paul Schrader. There's cool stuff in there - the buried church in African desert was a cool setpiece, dream sequences were also fun. But that's where the fun ends. Although well shot and acted, it's boring, not scary and not engaging. I get why I'm supposed to care about these characters, but they just don't grab me. Come to think of it, I've yet to have seen anything really worthy of or related to the original Exorcist. Boorman's Exorcist 2 was maybe even more engaging than Dominion, but obviously had nothing on Exorcist 1. Even Blatty's Exorcist 3 was an alright watch compared to this with one effective jump scare that I liked, but still a far cry from 1. Guess Schrader needed the money. He didn't write it, and as far as his own movies go it's a letdown, nevermind the exorcism movies.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am How did you feel about the 2002 remake? Just curious.
I'll let you know---gonna watch it & post soon. :wink:
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am Nothing will ever surpass the Brian De Palma original,so let's just get that out of the way.
I never saw it, or any of the remakes, and I'm about to rectify it.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

stutterer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:34 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am Nothing will ever surpass the Brian De Palma original,so let's just get that out of the way.
I never saw it, or any of the remakes, and I'm about to rectify it.
Please post your thoughts when you see the original---or any version for that matter!
User avatar
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 22130
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 am
Location: In the Corner. Again.

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by His Majesty »

FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:33 am
His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am How did you feel about the 2002 remake? Just curious.
I'll let you know---gonna watch it & post soon. :wink:
I wont spoil anything but if you don't like fundamental changes from the first movie, then it'll be hard to swallow the one in the 2003 version. :shock:
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:48 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:33 am
His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am How did you feel about the 2002 remake? Just curious.
I'll let you know---gonna watch it & post soon. :wink:
I wont spoil anything but if you don't like fundamental changes from the first movie, then it'll be hard to swallow the one in the 2003 version. :shock:
We shall see….!

I wasn’t interested in these SK remakes for the longest time.
All of a sudden I’m curious.
User avatar
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 22130
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 am
Location: In the Corner. Again.

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by His Majesty »

FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:55 am
His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:48 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:33 am
His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:38 am How did you feel about the 2002 remake? Just curious.
I'll let you know---gonna watch it & post soon. :wink:
I wont spoil anything but if you don't like fundamental changes from the first movie, then it'll be hard to swallow the one in the 2003 version. :shock:
We shall see….!

I wasn’t interested in these SK remakes for the longest time.
All of a sudden I’m curious.

IT parts 1 & 2 were most excellent.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:10 pm
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:55 am
His Majesty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:48 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:33 am

I'll let you know---gonna watch it & post soon. :wink:
I wont spoil anything but if you don't like fundamental changes from the first movie, then it'll be hard to swallow the one in the 2003 version. :shock:
We shall see….!

I wasn’t interested in these SK remakes for the longest time.
All of a sudden I’m curious.

IT parts 1 & 2 were most excellent.
Yes- I especially liked part 1 but enjoyed them both.
User avatar
Ludwig Paiste 77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6950
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

The Shining, 1980 Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers. Horror/Mystery. Jack Torrence (Nicholson) becomes winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writers block. He settles in along with his wife Wendy (Duvall), and his son, Danny (Lloyd), who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack's writing goes nowhere and Danny's visions become more disturbing. Jack discovers the hotel's dark secret's and begin to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell bent on terrorizing his family.
The film adaptation is different from King's novel, but I enjoy the film anyway. There is much to digest and discuss about the film. What is it all about? Is Jack really losing his mind, is Danny really seeing things, even Wendy sees things that aren't supposed to be there. The Overlook hotel was definitely haunted and I'm going with that. The very end when you see the picture of Jack at a 1921 July 4th ball at the Overlook, it's meaning seems to be it's not a ball at all.
User avatar
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Bruce »

George! (1972)

The serene life of a pilot living in the Swiss Alps is turned upside down when his sister marries and bequeaths him with her big, slobbery St. Bernard.


Trailer

I am a fan of Ingeborg Schöner, one of the most beautiful actresses of vintage film & television -- and thankfully still with us, bless her! So, I only saw this 'cult film' because she costars in it. And even as a cougar, she remained quite lovely. Completely inoffensive, but I guess it's ... OK? Harmless. It's very scenic -- some nice location footage. To my shock, an actual TV series (!!!) spun off from this light-hearted, uh ... feature. Had two seasons, in fact! Wow ... I mean ... how'd that happen? Ingeborg made damn sure she was unavailable for it.

Image

But, uh ... yeah, it's always a pleasure to see Ms. Schöner onscreen, regardless. They made a fuss over her, at least, as they should. Glad they appreciated what they had, there ...
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

Bruce wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:11 pm
I am a fan of Ingeborg Schöner, one of the most beautiful actresses of vintage film & television --
She is very lovely, Bruce, but....I have to say it: How unfortunate to be stuck with a name like "Ingeborg". :(

It has such a harsh sound. And makes me think of both Engelbert Humperdink and Frau Blucher. Image


(Oh Lord--I hope a bunch of people don't post that their moms were named Ingeborg. :oops: )
User avatar
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Bruce »

Ingeborg Schöner Discusses Being in "Mark of the Devil"

User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:45 pm How unfortunate to be stuck with a name like "Ingeborg". :(

It has such a harsh sound. And makes me think of both Engelbert Humperdink and Frau Blucher.
There's this Lithuanian actress Ingeborga Dapkūnaitė, apparently she did some Hollywood stuff, was in quite a lot of Russian movies, but her full name is better known here than her work is. Ingeborg doesn't sound awful at all to these ears, sounds classy and sophisticated. I think it's pronounced with a soft "r", which changes the perception a lot. Gene and Paul were right to change their names to something more memorable. I knew their names before I knew who they were.
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:35 am
stutterer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:34 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am Nothing will ever surpass the Brian De Palma original,so let's just get that out of the way.
I never saw it, or any of the remakes, and I'm about to rectify it.
Please post your thoughts when you see the original---or any version for that matter!
I watched till Travolta drove Nancy Allen to a party and she went down on him. Will finish later. My first thoughts are: 1) This is a dirty old man's movie - so much adolescent tit and bush right out of the gate. And I thought Dressed To Kill was dirty, this starts off the same way! Guess I'm getting too old and too paternal. 2) So far this plays like a comedy, or rather too much like Rock'n'Roll High School with telekinesis instead of the Ramones and PJ Soles plays virtually the same character.
User avatar
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 22130
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 am
Location: In the Corner. Again.

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by His Majesty »

Black Ace wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:43 am Do any of you remember the John Holmes action figure? Talk about unrealistic expectations!
Oh yes. Saw that once in a KayBee Toys. The "package" had to have its own package.
User avatar
Black Ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4919
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am
Location: Six Flags Magic Mountain

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Black Ace »

His Majesty wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:46 am
Black Ace wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:43 am Do any of you remember the John Holmes action figure? Talk about unrealistic expectations!
Oh yes. Saw that once in a KayBee Toys. The "package" had to have its own package.
Accessories sold separately! :P
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

stutterer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:31 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:35 am
stutterer wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:34 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:41 am Nothing will ever surpass the Brian De Palma original,so let's just get that out of the way.
I never saw it, or any of the remakes, and I'm about to rectify it.
Please post your thoughts when you see the original---or any version for that matter!
I watched till Travolta drove Nancy Allen to a party and she went down on him. Will finish later. My first thoughts are: 1) This is a dirty old man's movie - so much adolescent tit and bush right out of the gate. And I thought Dressed To Kill was dirty, this starts off the same way! Guess I'm getting too old and too paternal. 2) So far this plays like a comedy, or rather too much like Rock'n'Roll High School with telekinesis instead of the Ramones and PJ Soles plays virtually the same character.
Haha 😆 nice— I love the commentary so far.

Yeah, I can understand your feelings about it considering that you’re seeing it for the first time in what I assume to be… middle age?
(I’m 56 & guessing you’re close to that.)

Carrie was marketed toward a teenage/ young adult audience back in the day — so your Rock and Roll High School comparison is actually not too far off the mark!
So if you can put the paternal glasses aside and view it from a “ teen movie “ perspective, it might have a different impact.

In any case, I look forward to your thoughts on the rest!
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

stutterer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:23 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:45 pm How unfortunate to be stuck with a name like "Ingeborg". :(

It has such a harsh sound. And makes me think of both Engelbert Humperdink and Frau Blucher.
Ingeborg doesn't sound awful at all to these ears, sounds classy and sophisticated.
I guess it could sound sophisticated---but still has an ice queen vibe to me.
Maybe thats just because it reminds me of the word "Iceberg" though. 🤔
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:37 am I guess it could sound sophisticated---but still has an ice queen vibe to me.
Maybe thats just because it reminds me of the word "Iceberg" though. 🤔
Well, you know what men think about ice queens. "I'll melt her!" Or about psychotics. "I'll cure her!" Or about tomboys. "I'll feminize her!" Ever the problem solvers those guys.
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 am Haha 😆 nice— I love the commentary so far.

Yeah, I can understand your feelings about it considering that you’re seeing it for the first time in what I assume to be… middle age?
(I’m 56 & guessing you’re close to that.)
My teenage years are distant and my forties are nearer.
I get that it was marketed to teens, but, having read a lot of Laymon, I see who made it and who else might enjoy it. Sure, De Palma wasn't old, but reading and visualising it yourself is one private thing, while watching somebody else's vizualisation is another. Not trying to be a moralist here. Just some thoughts I had. Anyway, the story is king. If the story is good and strong, other elements are in service of it.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

stutterer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:46 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:37 am I guess it could sound sophisticated---but still has an ice queen vibe to me.
Maybe thats just because it reminds me of the word "Iceberg" though. 🤔
Well, you know what men think about ice queens. "I'll melt her!" Or about psychotics. "I'll cure her!" Or about tomboys. "I'll feminize her!" Ever the problem solvers those guys.
:) Yep, don't we all do do that.
If I had a friend named Ingeborg, I'd give her some cute Star Trek/Borg Queen related nick name.

And if I grew up with Carrie White, I'd buy her lipstick, do alterations on all of her clothes, and make her use telekinesis to deliver concert tickets directly into my little paws.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

stutterer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:55 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 am Haha 😆 nice— I love the commentary so far.

Yeah, I can understand your feelings about it considering that you’re seeing it for the first time in what I assume to be… middle age?
(I’m 56 & guessing you’re close to that.)
My teenage years are distant and my forties are nearer.
I get that it was marketed to teens, but, having read a lot of Laymon, I see who made it and who else might enjoy it. Sure, De Palma wasn't old, but reading and visualising it yourself is one private thing, while watching somebody else's vizualisation is another. Not trying to be a moralist here. Just some thoughts I had. Anyway, the story is king. If the story is good and strong, other elements are in service of it.
Well, my forties are distant, so don't feel bad!
Yes, reading & visualizing a story yourself is almost always different from someone else's ideas or whatever ends up in the movie version. Some screen adaptations come close to the way I imagine the characters/settings and others are just so far from what I'd pictured that it's distracting.
DePalma's Carrie might be that way for you.

Who knows, you might like the 2013 version better.
User avatar
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Posts: 14970
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Bruce »

Image

It is most gratifying to witness -- first hand -- the incomparable Ingeborg Schöner making a splash on KIϟϟFAQ.com.
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 am In any case, I look forward to your thoughts on the rest!
So I finished it. Making it a light and comedy-like was a good move, otherwise it would probably be unbearable to watch. But I think they overdid it with. As it is, Carrie is a very surface level movie. Aside from shot compositions, Sissy Spacek is the deepest thing about it and she carries it perfectly. Without her it just wouldn't work. The baddies are mostly weak, as I didn't get to hate them enough to care. The ending was kinda sad. Piper Laurie's exit was...well she played it like she had the ultimate climax. I won't be revisiting it or watching any other adaptations. While watching the prom comeuppance scene I realised I'd tried watching a newer cheapo version a long long time ago and turned it off. It had David Keith in it and I think it started with him questioning the girl about the school massacre or something to that effect. Also Carrie taking a bath in the end at first seemed weird as she had all that pigs blood that sat there in the bucket for some time and probably stunk like hell, but then I remembered her getting humiliated in the girls showers, so it made sense for her to take a bath instead.
User avatar
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8054
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by FlamingRuth »

stutterer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:12 pm
FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 am In any case, I look forward to your thoughts on the rest!
So I finished it. Making it a light and comedy-like was a good move, otherwise it would probably be unbearable to watch. But I think they overdid it with. As it is, Carrie is a very surface level movie. Aside from shot compositions, Sissy Spacek is the deepest thing about it and she carries it perfectly. Without her it just wouldn't work. The baddies are mostly weak, as I didn't get to hate them enough to care. The ending was kinda sad. Piper Laurie's exit was...well she played it like she had the ultimate climax. I won't be revisiting it or watching any other adaptations. While watching the prom comeuppance scene I realised I'd tried watching a newer cheapo version a long long time ago and turned it off. It had David Keith in it and I think it started with him questioning the girl about the school massacre or something to that effect. Also Carrie taking a bath in the end at first seemed weird as she had all that pigs blood that sat there in the bucket for some time and probably stunk like hell, but then I remembered her getting humiliated in the girls showers, so it made sense for her to take a bath instead.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Yeah, I guess Carrie is a pretty simple story, so I don’t disagree that it’s a surface level movie.
I believe the cheapo version you glimpsed is the 2002 remake which I plan to watch soon.
User avatar
Ludwig Paiste 77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6950
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 am

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

American Beauty, 1999 Kevin Spacey, Mena Suvari, Thor Birch, Wes Bentley, Annette Bening, Chris Cooper. Romance/Drama A telesales operative becomes disillusioned with his existence and begins to hunger for fresh excitement in his life. As he experiences a new awakening of the senses, his wife and daughter also undergo changes that seriously affect their family. Critically acclaimed this film won Oscars for Best Screenplay Beat Director, Best Actor and Best film.
I don't think this film has held up as good. When I watched it for the first time in twenty years it seemed very dated and bloated to me. The first time I watched it I thought it was great and I see the talent in the acting but, what the director and screenwriter did just didn't convince me twenty years later. Ball and Mendes are extremely talented in their work and for it's time it shows in this film, but I just can't bring myself to appreciate it like I once did. It feels like a privileged white guy who feels bad about himself and tries to rectify that by exploding his life only to lose it all in the end. It's all about a man who thought he had control but didn't - and who can't, at the very least relate to that.
User avatar
stutterer
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Last Film you Watched?

Post by stutterer »

Speaking of American Beauty, I finished watching a newer flick with Mena Suvari the other day called Hunt Club. It's a riff on the most dangerous game. There were countless movies like this before. The twist here is that it's a male club for hunting females. Those pesky men lure gals with a promise of a 100K prize for the hunt (they don't tell them what's the prey obviously). Suvari's character is a bisexual who travels to the island where the hunt takes place incognito, searching for her daughter who dissapeared there. Casper van Dien of Starship Troopers fame playes a second in command of the Hunt Club, who takes his son with him for a rite of passage. They meet up with Suvari in a bar and she seduces the teen. After they all arrive to the island (?) they meet the head honcho played by Mickey Rourke. Then there's a scene where men sit around a campfire and talk about their masulinity being endangered and how they need to empower themselves by sticking it to the women. They the hunt starts, the females obviously turn tables on the men and Mickey Rourke gets his obligatory death scene. This movie could've been good. As I'm re-reading what I wrote, it appears to be more interesting than it actually is. It's rather well shot. But it's spoiled at the core by the message. I didn't know who anybody was at any point except Suvari, Mickey, Casper and the son. It's streaming trash they all did for money, that's slightly above the usual hasbeen ensemble trash, but still trash nonetheless.