SPACE: 1999

Forum dedicated to discussion of movies and television.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: SPACE: 1999

Post by Bruce »

jkiss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:28 pm “Destination Moonbase Alpha” (1978) was basically released to capitalize on the “STAR WARS” craze, in overseas markets. And would later be part of a “SPACE: 1999” television movie package
You know, I kept meaning to look into that, seeing the SPACE:1999 "movie" coming up in my limited research. So thanks for getting into that. I was genuinely curious what all that was supposed to mean.

Above, one can see Juliet Landau's striking resemblance Barbara, even in just her eyes. And her older sister Susan, also bore a resemblance to her mother as well, but not quite as strongly.
Good breeding is so important -- and Juliet is of it.
Woman of Mystery ...
Did the Landau's children have a traumatizing childhood? I don't believe so, as they both seem to think the world of the parents. It does sound like Martin was indeed a good Father to them both.

This one's for Martin Landau, where ever he's got off to:

Fleetwood Mac -- Family Man

jkiss
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:55 pm You know, I kept meaning to look into that, seeing the SPACE:1999 "movie" coming up in my limited research. So thanks for getting into that. I was genuinely curious what all that was supposed to mean.
It's likely those telemovies were the only “SPACE: 1999” one might see (in the US), during '80s broadcasted. And they were all made available on VHS around the time I saw all them broadcasted, and so, also could've turned-up as video rentals, but if one's stores stocked them. I came across “Destination Moonbase Alpha” only at one video rental store, during the '80s. For some reason the tape didn't last long in their inventory (& likely wasn't ever returned). I wouldn't have even known it was available as retail VHS title, had I not seen it as a rental at that particular store, either.

The ‘philandering scenario’ I described, in my speculating might've been the situation with the Landaus, was more so what transpired with the Andersons. Sylvia eventually realized Gerry was cheating on her with a younger woman, either while she was pregnant or was taking time-off to be with their newborn son. Sylvia could've either put up with it or simply follow suit; aside from flat-out kicking him to the curb. And she chose to beat Gerry at his own game; thought to herself: if Gerry can do it, so can I. I'll outdo him and vindictively rub it right in his face. And so, Sylvia basically started messing around with men that were working for them; in making no secret of it, either. That all started on “UFO”. And she went into overdrive fucking their help, during “SPACE: 1999”; perhaps abusing her power as a Producer (as like Gerry). Embarrassing him to the point he absolutely n' passionately hated Sylvia. Gerry was the laughing stock of their industry; his wife and its showrunner, had gone completely out-of-control, pigging-out screwing men on-set, making a mockery of him. On the most expensively ambitious television series produced then to date.

I had to remember what happened; as I read Sylvia's autobiography decades ago, and eventually misplaced it. I haven't replaced my lost copy, either. I spoke with Keith Wilson (Production Designer) once, privately; he dished the dirt in a way, most would've been shocked to hear of. I wouldn't choose to repeat most of it, either, as it was too unsubstantially scathing; as to what all he described was going on & he himself witnessed of the Andersons. He also hated Barbara Bain to the utmost degree. He blamed her for his ‘Year One’ Main Mission set having to be replaced with the less impressive ‘Year Two’ Command Center. Barbara's complaint was: Main Mission typically took too long for crews to light properly. And the main source of shooting delays; of which, it was often reported as such. Keith stated rather due to crews' own incompetence.

I checked-in with another fan, as to what they thought happened with the Landaus; simply because they'd know better than me. What she stated was that they separated on at least four different occasions, during the course of their marriage. The first time being: in 1969, the second: in 1975, third: in 1981, and the final time, sometime late '80s. The reason they'd separate was they were always glued together, they'd eventually feel they needed time apart. And would separate for time, and by doing so, it would bring them back together as a couple. However, the final time, they didn't get back together, obviously. Martin was said to be involved with Gretchen Becker around then, likely through his divorce with Barbara. She doesn't believe Martin & Gretchen stayed together, overly long, but they still retained a close friendship after their relationship, etc.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Alfred Hitchock's North by Northwest (1959)
Cary Grant, James Mason and Martin Landau
Wow ... what a triumvirate that is! Absolutely must see ...

Sharp-dressed legends working this scene good! I've been holding off on seeing this famous film. Always meant to, but I will soon be making the effort -- looking forward to it.

Martin's filmography includes other films I've never seen, so ... that's where my mind is at, right now, where Landau is concerned. If he and Barbara were having marital troubles, it wouldn't be surprising if he strayed. They were a Hollywood couple, after all. But as stated previously, it appears that he held up his end as a father, a business partner and a costar ... even under all that pressure. Despite his perceived flaws, I continue to admire the man's talent and tenacity. I've said it many times: Martin Landau was a fine performer ...
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:33 pm Alfred Hitchock's North by Northwest (1959)
Cary Grant, James Mason and Martin Landau
Wow ... what a triumvirate that is! Absolutely must see ...

Sharp-dressed legends working this scene good! I've been holding off on seeing this famous film. Always meant to, but I will soon be making the effort -- looking forward to it.

Martin's filmography includes other films I've never seen, so ... that's where my mind is at, right now, where Landau is concerned. If he and Barbara were having marital troubles, it wouldn't be surprising if he strayed. They were a Hollywood couple, after all. But as stated previously, it appears that he held up his end as a father, a business partner and a costar ... even under all that pressure. Despite his perceived flaws, I continue to admire the man's talent and tenacity. I've said it many times: Martin Landau was a fine performer ...
That's something which rings true in my own experience and case; as the character of John Koenig was what I was more so captivated with. And with Martin, in him being an actor's actor; he put his all into the character of John Koenig, separating the actor himself from the character itself. With that stated, that's what I have done. And for the longest time or pre-Internet; it just wasn't possible, outside publications to know of the fine & finest of details, behind-the-scenes. I was largely oblivious to any of their personal drama up until pretty much into the 1990s; along with ignoring all the slanderous tabloid-like reports about them, previously. Barbara too, allegedly had her own flings, plus a reoccurring one with a man she once starred alongside, in film. Some have strongly speculated that it was Barbara herself; of which, strayed from their marriage, first.

Anyway, I have no personal aspirations or intentions to dig overly deep into their marriage. I didn't even realize that their daughter Susan also bore a resemblance to Barbara as well, not until the other day; as that's as I don't typically ever pay much attention (if any at all) to celebrities' children. Just as I don't really with any of KISS' own offspring; as they have nothing to do with KISS, nor should be subject to overzealous fan's personal inquiries, ever. Also, the ‘philandering scenario’ I originally described, might've even closely mirrored that of Gene & Shannon; however, that's all strictly their own business. I will simply await Shannon's forthcoming tell-all; as I wouldn't think for second she wouldn't do one, ever. Incidentally, both Gene & Ace tuned-in themselves to “SPACE: 1999”; each of ‘em fans of the TV-series, at the time of it being originally aired.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Mrs. $immons was always the prettiest of the band's wives and/or girlfriends. Always the coolest. That Gene was able to snag and keep her continues to astound me. The only obvious flaw the old girl has being an apparent addiction to plastic surgery. As beautiful as her rose had been in its bloom, perhaps its understandable, after all ...

Ace & Gene being fans of SPACE: 1999, that makes perfect sense! The show was right up their alley ...

Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Documentary: Season Two

Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

The above fonts were created by fans, I believe.
However, there is a more professional alternative ...

Fonts In Use

A great resource for typefonts --
including those used for SPACE: 1999!
(shows examples, for comparison)

https://fontsinuse.com/uses/11094/space-1999-titles

Neil Bold
https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/469/neil-bold

Futura
https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/4/futura

Futura Black
https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/7655/futura-black

Granby
https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/1787/granby

imageedit_0_3029232171.jpg

Stickers!

https://www.amazon.com/Space-1999-Stick ... B01D9EFH6K

Redbubble
Connects over 700,000 artists and designers across the planet with millions of passionate fans looking for show-related merch ...

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/space+19 ... epartments
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Last edited by jkiss on Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Why Teresa Graves never got the role of Maya remains unclear to me. But it does seem that once Catherine Schell's name got thrown into the hat, the part was going to be hers. Schell was obviously very sexy and was a known quantity at ITC, which my minimal research reveals. Ms. Graves was certainly cute, but comparissons to Mrs. Bowie might prove uñfair to Teresa ...

Nevertheless, had Graves played Maya, I can picture her appearing as a poor man's version of Martia from STAR TREK: The Undiscovered Country. Her makeup would've been as second rate as Shell's was, in all likelihood. What other differences the two Mayas might've had, of course, are difficult to fathom. But we can be assured that the writing would've remained consistent and her effects would've remained as shitty. Whether Barbara would've had contractual clauses regarding Teresa, who can know? But a black Maya -- if given the Iman treatment -- could've been very cute, indeed. But Catherine made the role her own, such as it was, and so suffices ...

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:40 pm Why Teresa Graves never got the role of Maya remains unclear to me. But it does seem that once Catherine Schell's name got thrown into the hat, the part was going to be hers. Schell was obviously very sexy and was a known quantity at ITC, which my minimal research reveals. Ms. Graves was certainly cute, but comparissons to Mrs. Bowie might prove uñfair to Teresa ...

Nevertheless, had Graves played Maya, I can picture her appearing as a poor man's version of Martia from STAR TREK: The Undiscovered Country. Her makeup would've been as second rate as Shell's was, in all likelihood. What other differences the two Mayas might've had, of course, are difficult to fathom. But we can be assured that the writing would've remained consistent and her effects would've remained as shitty. Whether Barbara would've had contractual clauses regarding Teresa, who can know? But a black Maya -- if given the Iman treatment -- could've been very cute, indeed. But Catherine made the role her own, such as it was, and so suffices ...

If they were smart African-Maya would've mirror-imaged the character Marita, in STVI:TUC, but you know they probably weren't smart. And even Catherine wasn't overly pleased with her ‘Psycon’ makeup prosthetics, herself. And I just wouldn't ever be able to blame her, either. I would've been so personally offended had someone only wanted to doll me up as a tacky alien; in that, I can over-empathize with her completely. And with Barbara, she & Martin both had veto power over the entire cast, and so, whoever they didn't want there, was gone instantly. Supposedly, Barbara suspected someone's girlfriend was in consideration; in the new female lead supporting role of Maya. She inquired with Gerry whether or not this was true; wanted to know whose girlfriend she was. Gerry denied her suspicion, instead revealing ‘Sir Lew Grade’ had Catherine Schell in mind; he would have to support his choice. Barbara obviously agreed to Catherine; she also had the option to further dictate the terms of her contract.

And so, Barbara may've been proportionally less aware of all the actresses in mind; not only that, testing other actresses without her knowledge. Fred claimed they ‘never spoke’ with Teresa Graves, yet we see someone ‘bearing a strong resemblance’ on-set, practically naked. The earliest ‘rumor’ I'd heard in relation to the casting of Maya: was Sir Lew Grade had been suspicious of an ‘African actress’ Gerry was firmly behind for the role. His suspicion: the unnamed was on Gerry's ‘casting couch’. And Sir Lew Grade felt he wasn't going to have similar ‘problems’ with Catherine.

However, Fred was likely betting on an actress that would've had the most ‘🇺🇸 television audience drawing power'. Simply because Teresa was better-known, acclaimed, and recently had starred in her own television series; whereas, Catherine Schell was basically unknown in comparison.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

All very intriguing! So, what got you to pondering over these whataboutisms, as they pertain to Maya? Season Two I watch more, to 'save' Season One, for myself, as not to overwatch it ... and potentially diminish my infatuation with it. So, I get my dose of Maya, for sure. In fact, the last episode I watched (if I'm not too mistaken) was The Metamorph. Mostly for Brian Blessed, to be honest ...

Who else but he would have produced the kind of refinement, class and sophistocation that we see in Maya? Yes, her father was eccentric as all hell and a naughty person, but he spoke quite eloquently. And had an appreciation for ... the finer things. Perhaps the loss of Maya's mother caused Brian to, eventually, lose his mind? If he could not give life to his dead wife ... then he would bring his dead planet back to life, in her stead.

Despite my various misdeeds, don't think ill of me ... my child.
I only wanted you to have the best of everything
... The Very Best.

An ageing Catherine Schell in a clip from a British show talking about -- who else, but -- our beloved Maya!!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:27 am All very intriguing! So, what got you to pondering over these whataboutisms, as they pertain to Maya? Season Two I watch more, to 'save' Season One, for myself, as not to overwatch it ... and potentially diminish my infatuation with it. So, I get my dose of Maya, for sure. In fact, the last episode I watched (if I'm not too mistaken) was The Metamorph. Mostly for Brian Blessed, to be honest ...
‘Year 2’ isn't as bad as some might make it out to be, and certainly better than a lot of what was to come on television. And it has been rejuvenated to a certain degree as well, with it being remastered for HD. I never liked the dull unrestored 16mm look of the DVDs, in comparison.

I'm likely incorrect with my suspicion that's Teresa on-set; mostly because I'm not entirely convinced each time I look at my comparison. If anything, the actress in question is a lookalike from a distance only. What Fred wanted with one is beyond me, other than to say, someone he ‘didn't end-up using’, at least, not onscreen; someone that only looks like Teresa, prancing around close to nude. Maybe the butt of a writer's in-joke about Teresa or some point Fred was trying to make. I just find it odd Fred would mention the fact he wanted Teresa for Maya, so frequently, yet he didn't even bother to speak to her. Gerry echoed Fred's desire for her in the role, but had to follow suit with Sir Lew Grade's choice or else.

Ultimately, it was up to Sir Lew Grade and Barbara Bain; as to who would be awarded the role of Maya. And as much as Teresa had an American television audience recognition factor going in her favor; I doubt it would've made much of an overall difference in viewership. Simply because it was a niche series, with limited appeal, and one that had a dwindling market share. And reason being, their 'network' they created was vanishing. I discovered that it was indeed the first time a foreign entity properly utilized the 'Primetime Access Rule'; in creating their own virtual network.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

jkiss wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:53 pm I just find it odd Fred would mention the fact he wanted Teresa for Maya, so frequently, yet he didn't even bother to speak to her.
Typical Hollywood hypocricy and virtue signalling.

Not that disimilar to Gene Roddenberry with his stated motives for hiring Nichelle Nichols and George Takei. Yet neither did very much with what they stated they'd do. It's like anyone else saying, "I was going to bring about world peace." Yeah, that's nice. Thing is, though ... you didn't. "Oh! But there were reasons -- I was held back!" Then ... shut up about it. Nobody cares what you might've done, or intended to do. To be willing is not enough. Certainly not enough, on its own, to be put on any kind of a pedestal.

As to Season Two being "not so bad," I would tend to agree. Although, I do hate looking at the new control center. It's boring and just aweful, compared to Season One's openness and spaciousness, which was so pleasing to the eye ...
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:43 pm
jkiss wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:53 pm I just find it odd Fred would mention the fact he wanted Teresa for Maya, so frequently, yet he didn't even bother to speak to her.
Typical Hollywood hypocricy and virtue signalling.

Not that disimilar to Gene Roddenberry with his stated motives for hiring Nichelle Nichols and George Takei. Yet neither did very much with what they stated they'd do. It's like anyone else saying, "I was going to bring about world peace." Yeah, that's nice. Thing is, though ... you didn't. "Oh! But there were reasons -- I was held back!" Then ... shut up about it. Nobody cares what you might've done, or intended to do. To be willing is not enough. Certainly not enough, on its own, to be put on any kind of a pedestal.

As to Season Two being "not so bad," I would tend to agree. Although, I do hate looking at the new control center. It's boring and just aweful, compared to Season One's openness and spaciousness, which was so pleasing to the eye ...
Fred being from Hollywood, too. It might've been a case of virtue signaling or he just 'didn't get' what was intrinsically wrong about the series had little to do with casting new supporting leads. And that's with Fred being partly brought on for his ‘so-called American expertise’. I've observed with nearly all of those directly associated speaking about “SPACE: 1999”, in retrospect, and particularly from a UK perspective, don't seem to have ever fully grasped what they were in-actuality up against or as to why it had itself ‘stonewalled’. Anyway, Producers associated with ‘70’s era television series typically can be a frustrating n' cagey bunch of ‘Silent Generation’ men to decipher; Fred really being ‘no exception’, either.

A unique phenomenon transpiring with the show was they had a number of European actors/actresses known in their own countries as legitimate stars, but outside their own industry, they weren't known, at all, really. And because the series was ‘invading’ American airwaves; they wanted on it, even as a low-lying episode extra to be seen on US Television. Perhaps in the hope or slim chance, a somebody in Hollywood would take notice of them; contractually snap ‘em up. And so, it was an aberrantly attractive ‘novelty’ to some minor league foreign stars; in making ‘an uncredited cameo appearance’. Additionally, obligated to make some use of Italian-sourced talent; in ‘Group Three’ partnership with Italian broadcaster RAI. Even diversely, a television series, comprised of a cast widely representative of what could've been considered the ‘Modern-day, Western world’.

I make mention of that phenomenon, as I'd suspect it's not something commonly realized among fans. The actress I had in question, might've been a foreign star to some degree from wherever and/or a related industry attempting to get themselves an ‘inkling’ of American television exposure.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

I've sometimes wondered about various guest stars and assorted extras and if they were anyone of note. In Force of Life, for example, Ian McShane's wife is cute and all, but she also has a 'presence' about her. It's hard to explain. Like ... a relationship with the camera, if that makes sense. She projects herself very well, and seems likely to have had a most prolific career.

One of Ian's victims, here, had sex-appeal -- truckloads of it -- whilst still projecting sweetness, which is not always easy to do. The way she was presented and shot seems to imply that she was someone an audience was expected to recognize. I do not doubt that, until she was a cougar, at least, she had a lot of calls for walk-on parts, cameos and guest star in various projects. She was probably in a lot of beer commercials, back then, built as she was ...

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:55 am I've sometimes wondered about various guest stars and assorted extras and if they were anyone of note. In Force of Life, for example, Ian McShane's wife is cute and all, but she also has a 'presence' about her. It's hard to explain. Like ... a relationship with the camera, if that makes sense. She projects herself very well, and seems likely to have had a most prolific career.

One of Ian's victims, here, had sex-appeal -- truckloads of it -- whilst still projecting sweetness, which is not always easy to do. The way she was presented and shot seems to imply that she was someone an audience was expected to recognize. I do not doubt that, until she was a cougar, at least, she had a lot of calls for walk-on parts, cameos and guest star in various projects. She was probably in a lot of beer commercials, back then, built as she was ...

The rest of the cast was sourced from a pool of always seeking work, career actors/actresses based out of London, England. They might've done anything, even an extra for a James Bond film or a guest star on an English-produced soap opera, stage-plays, etc. One that turned-up recently when reviewing episodes was Sarah Douglas; of which, is famously known for playing a supervillainess in both, “Superman I & II”. Sarah turned-up as a ‘naked’ guest star in “The AB Chrysalis”; with her being an actress I met, personally. Along with those that were among magazine models; ‘Fashion’ and/or ‘Adult’. Plus, a few people, that knew someone, like Sir Lew Grade; had themselves appearing onscreen through association.

I'm going to have to get back on track, with re-watching the rest of the series; as I had a number of house guests from Australia, ‘distracting me’.
Last edited by jkiss on Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Sarah was as sexy as she wanted to be, for sure, back in the day. Her (then) husband, the late Richard LeParmentier of STAR WARS fame was also on SPACE: 1999. He appears in the Maya-focused Dorzak episode, as I recall. Plenty of work, for all ...

Before the insane Covid response here in California, I ran into Australians often, just on the street. The last I met was a stunning redhead who was the girlfriend of a soccer player who's team visited San Diego, at the time. No Australians ever come to see me, though ...
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:43 pm Sarah was as sexy as she wanted to be, for sure, back in the day. Her (then) husband, the late Richard LeParmentier of STAR WARS fame was also on SPACE: 1999. He appears in the Maya-focused Dorzak episode, as I recall. Plenty of work, for all ...

Before the insane Covid response here in California, I ran into Australians often, just on the street. The last I met was a stunning redhead who was the girlfriend of a soccer player who's team visited San Diego, at the time. No Australians ever come to see me, though ...
Sarah met her ex-husband as an extra (as was he) on, “Rollerball” (1975). However, I haven't been able to pick-out Sarah being in it, among the extras; maybe something to try again, someday. And I was sent my friends in Australia tweeny-something daughters; all ‘em swimthong-wearing supermodel-gorgeous, along with their overly flirtatious ‘drool-inducing’ Australian-surfer boyfriends. Plus of course, I just loved overhearing their super-adorable Australian accents. Anyway, quite distracting, hope I wasn't easily observed drooling too much over their boyfriends; probably was.

🤭
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

The Aus-TRAIL-yen accent can be a little rough.
🇦🇺 Especially, coming from a girl ...

Nick Carter did alright, though. I can just imagine his return to the show for the start of Series Two only to find the rest of the supporting cast got replaced, all around him. That he avoided the axe is really something, knowing that the show's replacements all skewed younger now, by design. In fact, uh ... here's a little story of how Nick came to be hired, to begin with ...

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:22 pm The Aus-TRAIL-yen accent can be a little rough.
🇦🇺 Especially, coming from a girl ...

Nick Carter did alright, though. I can just imagine his return to the show for the start of Series Two only to find the rest of the supporting cast got replaced, all around him. That he avoided the axe is really something, knowing that the show's replacements all skewed younger now, by design. In fact, uh ... here's a little story of how Nick came to be hired, to begin with ...

I had no idea how he came to be Eagle hero pilot Alan Carter, nor that his Father voiced a character previously for “Thunderbirds”. Alan was reportedly the most popular supporting character among Americans. And even when Gerry was proposing to Nick he'd be brought back; it was due to his popularity among fans. I wouldn't be surprised someone decided they keep two supporting cast members, and drown the rest of them; ‘a Noah’s Ark’ for ‘Year Two’. Ultimately, I'd say the Landaus got to decide which male & female was to stay on. And so, they kept Nick & Zienia (she got on well with Barbara) from the supporting cast. Sarah was kept on, too; supposedly, a specially requested requirement of Martin's (his alleged dick holder). Also, I noticed while reviewing ‘Year Two’, John's favoritism towards Kate can be easily observed. How much Martin had to do with it being written that way, unknown. I don't believe Fred intended to keep anyone, but I would've guessed the Landaus were very concerned: it would seem strange to fans they'd be the only ones reprising their roles; as everyone else from the first season ‘unexplainably vanished’ from Alpha, etc.

Furthermore, the actress previously in question was known in the UK as: Venetia Day/Venicia Day. She was primarily an adult magazine model, American-born as Mary Weston, but working in England. She was cast likely by Fred, and the idea was she'd be one of ‘Maya's transformations’. Nevertheless, since Barbara had Maya prohibited from ever transforming into Catherine herself; I'd imagine Maya wasn't allowed to transform into Teresa, either. And so, that idea was entirely scrapped, obviously or it would've been undoubtedly pushing it with Barbara. Barbara already made it crystal clear in her contract revision nobody was to be fucking with her in the scripts, yet Fred still thought that'd be a good idea. She definitely forecasted she'd be subject to ‘vindictive pushback’ from some the men on the production; in being overly assertive and protective, over her role.
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

All shirtless and shit for the honies watching

Nick Tate's SPACE: 1999 Page

https://www.nicktate.com/space-1999

FAB Facts:
The Space:1999 characters that were set to replace Alan Carter & others

https://www.gerryanderson.com/fab-facts ... er-others/

Alan Carter Collectible with Moonbuggy and accesories

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Space-1999-C ... /650145436
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:00 pm Image
All shirtless and shit for the honies watching

Nick Tate's SPACE: 1999 Page

https://www.nicktate.com/space-1999

FAB Facts:
The Space:1999 characters that were set to replace Alan Carter & others

https://www.gerryanderson.com/fab-facts ... er-others/

Alan Carter Collectible with Moonbuggy and accesories

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Space-1999-C ... /650145436
You know how I know Fred & Gerry weren't planning on keeping anyone; Nick stated, he wasn't asked to return, not until eight episodes or so were already written, minus his character of Alan. And so, Fred had their writers moving ahead without any of ‘Year One’ supporting cast considered. Nick also stated Fred had no appreciation for what they accomplished ‘Year One’, and he sincerely missed having Sylvia running things, over Fred.

We know it didn't matter what they did, with either, revamping everything or keeping everything the same; the outcome wouldn't have changed. We would've had they stayed the same, simply had a higher quality ‘Year Two’ as fans; with ‘Group Three's’ US virtual network still collapsing, regardless. Without enough American syndication subscribers, the show was financially unsustainable; Sir Lew Grade, ready to ‘move on’, anyway.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Nick Tate Remembers Zienia Merton
(December 11, 1945 – September 14, 2018)

Nick Tate Reflects on Some of His Other Work

Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Crayola-Cosmic-Crayons-Pearl-Glitter-Colors-24-Count-Gift-for-Kids-Ages-4-up_c147f4d1-25ff-4efd-9ccf-59053bd43f6d.d6e490e1a15dc9981f2d9678b9db1dfb.jpg

Time to put these Cosmic Crayons to Universal use with some out of this world SPACE: 1999 Coloring Pages! Whatever hobby, activity, collectible, distraction of any kind ... this series provides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Fans are in full agreement: they will do without
... no longer!

Time to take these dreams and make them real ...

3D Print Props: Stun Gun & Comlock

RC Eagle Transporter QuadCopter

DIY Moonbuggy

25 Foot Long Eagle (2022 Interview in Danish)

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

.....Image
🌘 Brian Johnson (VFX) & Sylvia Anderson (Co-Producer) showing-off extreme-detail Eagle model-miniatures for publicity. 😛

We're officially into the 50th Anniversary of “SPACE: 1999” going into ‘production’. Brian Johnson & his VFX crew would enter Bray Studios, on November 5th, 1973; however, wouldn't produce any usable footage, until December. Principal photography of “Breakaway” would commence on December 3rd, 1973 @ Pinewood (final EOTR shows: December 1st & 2nd; in leading us, to the 50th Anniversary of actually shooting an episode).

🔆 🎥 🎬 “Lights, camera, action!” 💥 🥳
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

London: 1999
A 50th Anniversary Celebration
September 11 – 17, 2024

http://space199950years.com/

FaceBook:

https://m.facebook.com/Space199950years/

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:20 pm Image

A 50th Anniversary Celebration
September 11 – 17, 2024

http://space199950years.com/

FaceBook:

https://m.facebook.com/Space199950years/

All of 2024 will be the 50th Anniversary of the production of ‘YEAR ONE’ of “SPACE: 1999”, even segments of 2025. However, I don't believe I'll be going as far as dressing myself up as an Alphan. Back in the ‘70s, and I was an actual extra or something similar; I'd've been fully game for it. What I'll do will simply be watch “Breakaway” on December 3rd, 2023, and even without fail. I'll reminisce & collate deeply from there onward. 😅 🤭

Coincidentally, I'd just realized ZUMA BEACH made-for-television movie I watched; actually, was directed by the one that did “Breakaway”. 😮
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Film and Furniture:
Space 1999 Home Furnishings for Purchase

https://filmandfurniture.com/product/bo ... -cart-new/

Going full Seventies retro isn't what I have in mind for my home. However, individual pieces and accents used in SPACE: 1999 that are still available might not be so bad to have around. A little taste of your Home Away from Home ...
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

What IF ...

The Moon disappeared?

Whilst Moonbase Alpha was off having adventures in parts unknown, how would that effect the Earth, at all? Haven't you wondered? "Bruce, why do you have to get all sciencey with every thread for?!" Give it up, already! You ain't gettin' out of it, that's all I can tell you, on that ...
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:50 pm What IF ...

The Moon disappeared?

Whilst Moonbase Alpha was off having adventures in parts unknown, how would that effect the Earth, at all? Haven't you wondered? "Bruce, why do you have to get all sciencey with every thread for?!" Give it up, already! You ain't gettin' out of it, that's all I can tell you, on that ...
The science of “SPACE: 1999” was criticized by the scientific community; in a becoming a headline briefly, when the series debuted on television. The premise itself, was commonly perceived to be a point of conjecture; one meant to plainly blast an audience off on an intergalactic fairy tale.
Bruce wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:23 pm Image

Film and Furniture:
Space 1999 Home Furnishings for Purchase

https://filmandfurniture.com/product/bo ... -cart-new/

Going full Seventies retro isn't what I have in mind for my home. However, individual pieces and accents used in SPACE: 1999 that are still available might not be so bad to have around. A little taste of your Home Away from Home ...
Well, the latest in Italian designer furnishings, would've been more so a European aesthetic; one of wealth. With rarity among audiences, it all made for the perfect furnishings to dress up a futuristic soundstage set; something set in the distant enough future. Just as recently constructed post-modern architecture; in commonly being utilized as money-saving (budget reducing) on-location backdrops. In place of having to build entire sets; to create a futuristic seeming environment. And typically, would leave audiences scratching their heads; as to, did they actually build a set or would this be an actual location, someplace in the world? It’s no different than taking a ‘Lincoln Futura’ one-off concept car; in customizing it to be a one-of-a-kind ‘Batmoblie’. They didn't have the budget to develop their own car or have Ford do another one-off for ‘Batman’, obviously.

Within America: chrome (plated or decorative) finishing would've been a trending n’ popular contemporary aesthetic for example, during the ‘70s.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

.........................................Image
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Oh! Look at that countdown. Very fancy!
jkiss wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:15 am The science of “SPACE: 1999” was criticized by the scientific community
Sir Lew Grade, come on, now ... sharpen up!!
Well, the latest in Italian designer furnishings, would've been more so a European aesthetic; one of wealth.
I like the "(aesthetic) of wealth" talk! Yes, indeed. That -- that -- is the way to sell me. The way to earning my special attention ... and hold onto it.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Reedited and reposted below.
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Look at this concept car version of a Fiat ...
Reminds me of a worker bee from STAR TREK: TMP

Some other Odds & Ends:

SPACE: 1999 Book (Brief Discussion + Pictures)

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index ... c=54787.40

A Tshirt That Doesn't Look Like Complete Shit

https://www.asdesignprint.com.au/produc ... ed-t-shirt

Blue Flight Jacket

https://judysemporium.com/products/all- ... 6ca9&_ss=r

Orange Flight Jacket

https://judysemporium.com/products/all- ... 6ca9&_ss=r
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Recreated and reposted below.
Last edited by jkiss on Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

"Catherine Schell has lived a life more dramatic and colourful than any of her many acting roles. Her story sweeps from her birth during an allied bombing raid in Budapest, to life under post-war Russian occupation, escape and life as a refugee in Austria, a strict convent school life in America, and on to Germany where she becomes an actress.

Whilst international fame would follow through roles in the James Bond and Pink Panther franchises, as well as the iconic role of Maya in popular sci-fi series Space: 1999, the story off camera is all together more human and real. An abusive husband, her father's surrender to Alzheimer's, her brother's paranoid schizophrenia, and a dominant and passionate mother, all play their part in her tale."
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:24 am Oh! Look at that countdown. Very fancy!
🧐 Not perfectly centered, either, but I don't want add evidence of editing. 😂 Its been set to London, England (Pinewood 🌲 Studios), time. ⏰
Bruce wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:24 am
jkiss wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:15 am Well, the latest in Italian designer furnishings, would've been more so a European aesthetic; one of wealth.
I like the "(aesthetic) of wealth" talk! Yes, indeed. That -- that -- is the way to sell me. The way to earning my special attention ... and hold onto it.
Image Image

Contemporary Italian 🇮🇹 designer furnishings once had a reputation for delivering the highest level of craftsmanship. And a particular exquisite flavor of Italian flare for artistic ingenuity, etc, in overall design; just the same, of a handcrafted n’ hand-assembled Ferrari or Lamborghini. I'd say by the ‘70s, the Italian concept of ‘Futurism’ made a big comeback; in the immediate aftermath of the Space Race, and the era of the Moon Landings. “SPACE: 1999” was reflective of it, too. Not only the world was thought to be our oyster, but also supersized to include our galaxy itself.

All equaling expensive tastes, but certainly well-refined. Above: one of the most impressionable of automotive designs; the ‘71 LP500 & ‘73 LP400 prototypes of the Lamborghini Countach. It something that screamed at the top of its lungs, the future is here; the shape of things to come, soon.
Bruce wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:36 pm "Catherine Schell has lived a life more dramatic and colourful than any of her many acting roles. Her story sweeps from her birth during an allied bombing raid in Budapest, to life under post-war Russian occupation, escape and life as a refugee in Austria, a strict convent school life in America, and on to Germany where she becomes an actress.

Whilst international fame would follow through roles in the James Bond and Pink Panther franchises, as well as the iconic role of Maya in popular sci-fi series Space: 1999, the story off camera is all together more human and real. An abusive husband, her father's surrender to Alzheimer's, her brother's paranoid schizophrenia, and a dominant and passionate mother, all play their part in her tale."
I haven't gotten around to reading Catherine's autobiography, as of yet. When I became aware she was working on one, in an interview online; she was surprisingly running a ‘Bed & Breakfast’ of her own, in France 🇫🇷, I believe. And living a rather quite life, yet fans did often stay with her. 🤭 Outside of “SPACE: 1999”, I'd be interested to know more about her experience; as minor ‘Bond Girl’, in “On Her Majesty’s 🇬🇧 Secret Service”.

Picking up from yesterday (I'd to recreate this posting this morning, somehow lost it completely, etc.); in concerning ‘Futurism’, but 1970’s-style. There are few things that were more influential on me than that. Something on a creative-level, that'd be regarded by others alike; as my one of my greatest assets. It's something that inspires, even drives me, indefinitely. Someone I admire, for all my adult life; eventually, he'd told me: I embodied its overall perspective, also, never met or ever known of a woman that did, as do I, and so elegantly. It was such ‘a compliment’. 💐
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Space Station 76 Pokes Fun at 1970s Futurism (2014)

An R-rated comedy, the film stars Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler, and Jerry O'Connell.

Were you aware of this feature, jkiss?

I was not. Mocking a previous era is, generally, low-hanging fruit. For example, men in the powdered wigs, puffy shirts and britches of 1776. But the joke gets old fast, and can't be expected to prop up a movie, just on its own. It needs something substantial. RetroFuturism can be made to look cool. I'm on record saying that I like the sterile, neutral look of SPACE: 1999. But that aesthetic can't ever make a full-on, unfiltered comeback. Attempting to do so would lead to comedy such as what this satire seemingly offers up ...
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Recently, I've investigated some of Suzanne Roquette's filmography. Much of it is too old and too obscure to find easily, or in plenty. Der Bucklige von Soho is a good case in point. The following scenes show her with her hair up, wearing a black-lace bodystocking and high heels ... she looks divine. Except for them effen tassles, which I abhor!!

"The Hunchback of Soho" English-Language Trailer (1966)
(AKA: Der Bucklige von Soho)

Suzanne Roquette speaking in her native tongue:

Her Death Scene. What a terrible waste ...

The Feature (Which I've yet to view)
https://ww1.m4uhd.cc/watch-movie-the-hu ... 41732.html
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:44 am Space Station 76 Pokes Fun at 1970s Futurism (2014)

An R-rated comedy, the film stars Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler, and Jerry O'Connell.

Were you aware of this feature, jkiss?

I was not. Mocking a previous era is, generally, low-hanging fruit. For example, men in the powdered wigs, puffy shirts and britches of 1776. But the joke gets old fast, and can't be expected to prop up a movie, just on its own. It needs something substantial. RetroFuturism can be made to look cool. I'm on record saying that I like the sterile, neutral look of SPACE: 1999. But that aesthetic can't ever make a full-on, unfiltered comeback. Attempting to do so would lead to comedy such as what this satire seemingly offers up ...
Yes, I was aware of it, but it just didn't seem enticing enough, but maybe it is now. If it was legitimately a commentary on ‘Futurism’ (1970s); of which, it might very well be. In being, part of the intent was to convey how the ‘brave new world’ we'd imagined we'd have; subsequently, never fully transpired. However, he wasn't born, not until ‘68, and so, it's questionable how successful he actually was. He was only 12, come ‘80, so...

I'll probably give it a shot, eventually.
Bruce wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:07 am Recently, I've investigated some of Suzanne Roquette's filmography. Much of it is too old and too obscure to find easily, or in plenty. Der Bucklige von Soho is a good case in point. The following scenes show her with her hair up, wearing a black-lace bodystocking and high heels ... she looks divine. Except for them effen tassles, which I abhor!!
Sometimes, it can be tough to find obscure titles, but I usually don't have much of a problem, myself. At least, not anymore (Re: The Internet). I haven't seen much of the supporting cast, outside of “SPACE: 1999”. It'd be mostly limited to Martin, Barbara, plus Catherine; nevertheless, I’ve seen guest stars, even extras surprisingly turn up in other things (television, film & magazine publications), produced in England and/or Europe.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Yes, seeing what else these actors starred, or appeared, in has the potential to open some interesting doors, entertainment-wise. Certainly, films I've never been witness to. I want it all, though -- every last bit of it...
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

All of this futurism talk got me to wondering what a SPACE: 1999 reboot might appear like. So, I looked into some Interior Design possibilities for the base. I took a fancy to this one. It seems like a logical 'upgrade.'

Moonbuggy, of course.

The Eagle has landed!

Moonbase Alpha ... to make the ocassion complete.

To make the "1999" part work, I would suggest they code-name the establishment "Moonbase: 1999-Alpha." Just to get the setting to be whenever they want to make it. Or not even have to establish the year it's in, at all, which would probably be the best choice.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:44 pm Image

All of this futurism talk got me to wondering what a SPACE: 1999 reboot might appear like. So, I looked into some Interior Design possibilities for the base.
.................................Image

“ALIVE II” (1977) gatefold would be a perfect example of ‘70’s era ‘Futurism’; as one demonstrated/depicted superficially through an artistic aesthetic. And with it being purposely exaggerated (touched up) to ideally represent what they’re projecting. It really was the shape of things to come; as come the ‘80’s, we’d see all this begin to transpire, widespread. Actually, become standardized among the industry; it was inspirational.

Regarding a reimaging of “SPACE: 1999”, I'm open to one; however, it'd have to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor. And in its being the most lavish ‘n ambitious series money can buy. Unfortunately, that sort of ‘idealism’ isn't at all common, within our modern world of financing minds.
Bruce wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:48 pm Yes, seeing what else these actors starred, or appeared, in has the potential to open some interesting doors, entertainment-wise. Certainly, films I've never been witness to. I want it all, though -- every last bit of it...
I find it really always does, there's no bounds to what it'll lead to watching. There are all kinds of movies, etc. I'd never would've seen; had I not being doing some homework into actors’/actresses’ career catalogs. And of general interest or for whatever reason, related research even, etc.

.......................................Image
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Lana, Queen of the Amazons (1964)
AKA Lana Koenigin der Amazonen

A scientist and his nephew are hosts of Lana, queen of the Amazons, while other crew men try to find and take hold of the legendary Amazons' treasure.

Not crazy about Catherine Schell as a platinum blonde, and I'm equally uncertain about this film being a quality production. I post about it, here, but am hesitant to watch and witness -- first hand -- Ms. Schell paying her dues ...

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:36 am Not crazy about Catherine Schell as a platinum blonde, and I'm equally uncertain about this film being a quality production. I post about it, here, but am hesitant to watch and witness -- first hand -- Ms. Schell paying her dues ...

Catherine was surprisingly not as active as I would've thought myself. She'd always remain best known for Image “The Return of the Pink Panther” (1974), outside of “SPACE: 1999” & OO7; of which, the ‘Inspector Clouseau’ film series was then right up my alley for an absurd barrel of laughs (beginning with that one). Another one of hers that I was curious about was the insanely outdated, “Moon Zero Two” (1969); I’d watched it over a decade ago. And that’s as far I’ve got exploring her body of work as an actress. Plus impendingly, between us Americans, we're five to ten hours (you 🎱) behind London; in depending on where one resides. And so, in the wee hours of what would be Sunday morning for us; they’d’ve been prepping themselves to start shooting, at Pinewood Studios, fifty years ago. That's as productions traditionally tend to start at the crack of dawn.

I'll be watching “Breakaway” before bed, tonight; that's as I've made myself incredibly busy for tomorrow, unfortunately. I wasn't considering what December 3rd was. I'd know when I get back from it, just won't be in the right mood. Whatever commemorating tasks I've planned must be moved slightly up to this evening. And really the only one would be to review “Breakaway”, on Bluray. I'd encourage fans to do the same, ‘tomorrow’. 🎗️
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

As mentioned, Gay Hamilton guest starred in the episode Force of Life. She also had been cast as Nora Brady in Stanley Kubrick's oft-overlooked 1975 film, Barry Lyndon (a movie I like). I'd totally forgotten about that, until being reminded of it, just now. Whilst Gay was not in the SPACE: 1999 cast, her one-off performance was very well-done. So, forgive this mention of another fine performance from her, in another high-profile project ...

Barry Lyndon's First Love Scene

Bonus:
(A Fairly Brief, Fan-Made) Barry Lyndon McDonalds Parody

jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Bruce wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:57 am Image

As mentioned, Gay Hamilton guest starred in the episode Force of Life. She also had been cast as Nora Brady in Stanley Kubrick's oft-overlooked 1975 film, Barry Lyndon (a movie I like). I'd totally forgotten about that, until being reminded of it, just now. Whilst Gay was not in the SPACE: 1999 cast, her one-off performance was very well-done. So, forgive this mention of another fine performance from her, in another high-profile project ...

Barry Lyndon's First Love Scene

She never popped out of “Barry Lyndon” (1975) to me. The only ‘Gay’ I’d’ve been semiconscious of was ‘Lt. Gay Ellis’ (a ‘purple wigger’, as Sylvia would've put it); played by ‘Gabrielle Drake’, in the Andersons’ “UFO”. And as due-diligently announced in your ‘Last Series Episode You Watched’ thread; I’d revisited “Breakaway” as commemoratively planned. My first big takeaway was how well it was scored, overall. And it really builds the tension up, in all the right places. Secondly, how well directed it was; even despite the fact, they weren't pleased with Lee for going overschedule and overbudget. And quite obviously, the numerous reoccurring odes to “2001: A Space Odyssey” (1968), subconsciously withstanding; as I’d only seen it once, theatrically in 1970 (up to that point). I didn’t care for the film either (was frightened by it), but certainly recognized this was again revisiting the idea of a near future moonbase; one very similarly depicted in the movie itself, even uncoincidentally, yet far more excitingly, etc.

A flub that stuck out like a sore thumb was Alan informing Main Mission ‘Eagle One’, etc.; however, it reads ‘6’ on the cockpit module door. Almost making it seem like ‘Eagle One’ was Alan’s ‘callsign’. And as well as, we learn he holds the rank of Captain. I’d have to say the Landaus’ intensive performances had me sold. I'd always approved how the character of Helena came off in her and the Commander’s first meeting with each other.

One thing I wanted to discover was when did I first see the series broadcasted, locally? Monday @ 7 p.m. — September 22nd, 1975. My local NBC affiliate began preempting the Primetime slot for “The Invisible Man” with “SPACE: 1999”, instead. In hindsight, just fine with me, too; as I had no interest in “The Invisible Man” (1975-‘76, canceled after 13 episodes) whatsoever, either. One of 155 stations that bought ‘Year One’, but in the inaugural pitch. Also, I can see that ‘Year Two’ was shunned after broadcasting, “The Metamorph” on Thursday @ 7 p.m. — September 9th, 1976; as the station elected to not renew their syndication package with ITC. Nevertheless, ‘Year One’ was rebroadcasted @ 4 p.m. on Saturdays.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

jkiss wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:25 am (...) your ‘Last Series Episode You Watched’ thread
The only thread started by me that I take 'ownership' of is the one about Shakespeare. It is my sole delight. My pride ... and joy. Were it ever deleted, I'd soon find myself hyperventilating into a paper bag! And fighting for my sanity. Much like the crew of Moonbase Alpha, during the Moon's departure in Breakaway.

Barry Gray's soundtrack for this episode is full of personality and nuance. The Dark Side of the Moon, for example. I was struck by this, particularly when compared to STAR TREK: The Next Generation's soundtrack, especially from Season 3, onward. A show that mined from SPACE: 1999 quite heavily. Never too fancy. Don't draw attention to the soundtrack. Just hit the emotional cues and be very blunt about it.