Favourite non makeup era costumes?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Favourite non makeup era costumes?

Lick It Up
5%
Animalize
18%
Asylum
7%
Crazy Nights
5%
Hot In The Shade
15%
Revenge
50%

Total votes: 171

Soylent Gene
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Favourite non makeup era costumes?

Post by Soylent Gene »

HITS. Understated. Natural. Cool.
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

I didn't even have to think twice on that.... Revenge all day long.

Believe it or not, lick It up was not a bad look for the album but the tour was a horrendous look.
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

Kissologist wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:11 am More wardrobe than costumes, but the Revenge look was the best :idea:
I agree that wardrobe is a better word to use than "costumes" to describe the Revenge (and Hot In The Shade) look. 8)
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Kissoff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:33 am
sneed78 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:43 am Image
Jesus how tall was MSJ
I’m a little over 6’ 1 and when I met Mark in 2002, he was exactly my height.

But yeah, in this pic he looks even taller than Gene.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

bassmansteiny wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 am Revenge followed by Hot In The Shade for me.
Agreed. I think they looked better wearing sort of normal clothing. Those mid 80's spandex & animal print things looked silly also the Asylum stuff. Not knocking Kiss tho all the bands were doing it back then.
KlassicKISS54
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

I think Animalize pretty much summed them up for the that era.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

I was totally turned off by the 180 degree change to their look after they took off the makeup. If they'd have gone from the classic look to the Revenge era, I'd have been a lot more on board with it. Instead, they went from being dark and mythic superheroes to a group of football players in drag.

I was cool with Elton John and his feathers, glasses and platforms. That's who he was. So it wasn't that I was a homophobe or anything. But from KISS to go from Batman to the equivalent of Jem and the Holograms was just too much of a stretch for me. Night and day. I'm a night person.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

The LIU album cover look was fine, but god only knows what they were thinking once they hit the road. Animalize was a bit better, but by Asylum they adopted that mother-of-the-bride look many bands were sporting at the time. They only started to look a bit more comfortable in what they were wearing around CN and HITS, and they probably looked at their best around Revenge, although that being said the "street" attitude they tried to adopt around then was never really convincing.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:34 am
bassmansteiny wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 am Revenge followed by Hot In The Shade for me.
Agreed. I think they looked better wearing sort of normal clothing. Those mid 80's spandex & animal print things looked silly also the Asylum stuff. Not knocking Kiss tho all the bands were doing it back then.
Yup, totally agree with everything you said. 🙂👍
The 80s was a silly time but a fun time.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

bassmansteiny wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:14 pm
DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:34 am
Yup, totally agree with everything you said. 🙂👍
The 80s was a silly time but a fun time.
Yeah I'm glad I lived thru the 80's but the fashion was out there... I suppose every generation says the same tho. I remember the 90's and Jnco jeans were the big rage. Today they look ridiculous.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

I grew up between those two eras, graduated HS in 1994. So I hear ya there. Hey did those Jnco Jeans have the hugely insane wide legs on them? I remember seeing a girl at a concert back in the early 2000s with a pair on. Thought they looked like clown pants, haha. Want to say it was a Slipknot show but could of been Dope or Static X.
strutter78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by strutter78 »

The first time the photo of them on the Revenge cd, I laughed a little. I distinctly remember thinking “now they’re tough guys now” All in new leather jackets. It was just contrived to me at the time. Yes, Gene looks cooler, no doubt, but I was older and knew that G&P were far from being “street” at that point, if ever. I love the look on the LIU album and didn’t mind their look on the LIU videos.
sagedrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagedrummer »

I think the reason the Revenge era looked so good was because they didn’t feel like “costumes”. It looked natural and like clothes they would wear on the street. Gene and Paul looked particularly good in that era.