Who was more influential Kiss or The Ramones

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Who was more influential Kiss or The Ramones

Kiss
65%
Ramones
35%

Total votes: 184

DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Re: Who was more influential Kiss or The Ramones

Post by DaveinSpain »

In the Suds wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:06 pm
DaveinSpain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:59 am
In the Suds wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are so many bands that made sounding like the Ramones their whole thing. Bands like....

The Queers
Screeching Weasel
The Riverdales
The Mr. T Experience
Sloppy Seconds

....and lots more. Whether people have heard of these bands or find them irrelevant is not the point. The point is when there's a whole subgenre of bands that sound exactly like you, you are a very influential band.
Don't forget the Donna's. There 1st 2 albums sound exactly like 70's era Ramones. Is almost as if Joey quit And the Ramones got a female singer hahaha. But anyway I agree with ya 100%. I absolutely love Kiss, but I do stand by my opinion that the Ramones were more influential.
Yes, even the idea that they're all called Donna comes directly from the Ramones.
Yup forgot that part....also didn't several bands on the same label as Screeching Weasel cover entire Ramones albums? Fat wreck records I think. I believe a different band covered entire albums up to and including End of the century....gotta be honest some of them I love others not so much.
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CStomp1 »

redinthesky wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 pm Kiss was not too influential musically at all. Hardly anyone adopted Kiss' musical sound and style. Kiss' influence was virtually all in the clothes and the show. As far as actual music, the Ramones created a timeless sound that has even seeped into other genres of music. They are considered the second-greatest band of all time and second-most influential, maybe even the most.

I've said prior, many people think "influenced" and "inspired" are the same, but they aren't. Both bands inspired many musicians. (Take away Ace and Kiss hardly even inspired anyone musically.) But as far as musical influence, The Ramones are fifty universes ahead of Kiss, it's not even debatable.
We all know that KISS' music can be tough to pigeonhole in part because of their trend hopping through the years. Maybe that's an excuse for other artists not adopting their sound and style, but you can make a case that there's an attitude in KISS music that many adopted.

Not sure what you mean, Red, about KISS having influence on clothes. Can you clarify, as I never think of KISS being influential in this area?

We all know of KISS' huge influence on the show, which goes beyond rock concerts. Other genres of music have adopted the KISS style show as have many sporting events.

Even beyond the flames and explosions, I think KISS were pioneers in going wireless circa 1977. I also believe they were the first act to throw picks into the audience. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe these are small details but we love the small details here.

KISS has also been hugely influential in merchandising.

I really don't know much about the Ramones beyond a small handful of songs and one iconic t-shirt. Second greatest band and second most influential?! With one gold record to their name that took nearly 40 years to achieve? Why would anyone want to adopt a sound and style that clearly doesn't sell? :P
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Get over the sales thing, it means jack.

Nick Cave doesn't sell bucketloads of albums and look how influential he is.

Kiss fans are such a deluded bunch at times

I felt like this way once upon time
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

DaveinSpain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:05 pm I'll say this I'm just happy to have had both bands in my life. Oh and I still stand by Rock n Roll high school as the way better movie. But truthfully I don't think either band had much to do with how the films worked out. They were just musicians asked to act. Can't blame Kiss for the horrible editing of KMTPOFTP. And the Ramones lucked into staring in RNRHS. I've read they were not the 1st choice for that. Anyway I think this was a good thread. Lots of intelligent comments and thoughts. Also I'm happy to see so much Ramones love. They lost the vote but hey as I said I'm just happy to of had both bands in my life. Both bands are the soundtrack to my life. I couldn't picture life without either band.
Yeah it was originally offered to Cheap Trick. Would have been cool too.
But that clip when the Ramones appear singing in/on the car and carry on performing as they get out and enter the venue is just one the funniest things I've ever seen. I absolutely love it
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Now post this on a Ramones forum
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

steveh67 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:56 pm Get over the sales thing, it means jack.

Maybe you missed my razz :P that was aimed at Red. Just giving him the business because I know how much he loves the Ramones.

Don't take all of this too seriously.

Explain how not selling is better than selling?

Who is Nick Cave? :P
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

CStomp1 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:14 pm
steveh67 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:56 pm Get over the sales thing, it means jack.

Maybe you missed my razz :P that was aimed at Red. Just giving him the business because I know how much he loves the Ramones.

the argument that sales or lack thereof, somehow distinguishes any claim of being heavily influential in muisc is ridiculous, that's what I am talking about.

There are many artists that have been major influences, who didn't sell a bucketload of albums.

KISS sales figures claims are BS as we all know anyway. Hype

If you don''t know who Nick Cave is, your music knowledge is rather limited.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

steveh67 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 pm

the argument that sales or lack thereof, somehow distinguishes any claim of being heavily influential in muisc is ridiculous, that's what I am talking about.

There are many artists that have been major influences, who didn't sell a bucketload of albums.

Yeah, there are loads of bands who didn't sell shit over the course of their careers but who are constantly namechecked as being influential - the Velvet Underground, Kraftwerk and Joy Division are three off the top of my head. Kiss were influential over the course of two decades as their 70s fans came of age and started playing in bands - the intial LA hair metal bands of the early/mid 80s and the grunge acts of the early 90s in many cases cited them as an influence in their formative years.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

steveh67 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Relax. This is nothing serious. I'm sure the lockdowns Down Under have twisted in knots, but don't take it out on me. Just having some fun on the FAQ.
Goodwilltowardsall
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

I would love for KISS to cover Sheena is a Punk Rocker (no offense but since this a hypothetical I would like to have healthy Ace play on it)-whoever has the KISS contacts pass it along for a brother.

(no joking for this one) :lol:
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Both have been influential beyond measure, not just their musical impact but they've both left such large marks on popular culture that they will both be remembered for various reasons decades beyond now