KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
steveh67
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by steveh67 »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 pm The problem with comparing this to the Whitesnake boxset...is that's it's Whitesnake. Four, maybe five decent songs at the very most? A 12" EP has got you covered for that band. Nowhere near the same league as Kiss.
KISS forum, so I wouldn't expect anything less, but come on Whitesnake has a lot of great songs.

Musician wise, some of those Whitesnake lineups wipe the floor with KISS.

As a singer, I would put Coverdale's best work at least on par with Paul Stanley for starters.
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

I'm looking forward to this, and can't wait to hear it! My only gripe is I wish the live disc would have been from the US "Spirit of 76" Tour :(
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

AstroWarped wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 pm
Statuegirl21 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:26 pm One of the most visual bands in the world releases a box set that includes zero video footage.
Probably because they have the video planned for a separate release?!

So yea, they could simply release other "Destroyer" stuff as separate packages, this helps spread out the costs so it doesn't hit you all at once.

So the idea would be to keep it looking like it is still part of the boxed set, as well.
You don’t know any of that, you made it all up.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

steveh67 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 pm The problem with comparing this to the Whitesnake boxset...is that's it's Whitesnake. Four, maybe five decent songs at the very most? A 12" EP has got you covered for that band. Nowhere near the same league as Kiss.
KISS forum, so I wouldn't expect anything less, but come on Whitesnake has a lot of great songs.

As a singer, I would put Coverdale's best work at least on par with Paul Stanley for starters.
Apparently with Soul Station, Paul would have killed to have Coverdale's soulful vocals in his prime. :D

Coverdale is a far better singer than Paul in the traditional singer sense - just like Paul Rodgers is as well.

But yes, this is a KISS forum where people think Paul Stanley is better than Freddie Mercury and KISS is better than The Rolling Stones.

KISS released a lot of shit, while Whitesnake was making very good to great albums.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Totally. KISS fans typically don’t know much about music. Especially the ones on this board.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Apparently with Soul Station, Paul would have killed to have Coverdale's soulful vocals in his prime. :D

Coverdale is a far better singer than Paul in the traditional singer sense - just like Paul Rodgers is as well.

But yes, this is a KISS forum where people think Paul Stanley is better than Freddie Mercury and KISS is better than The Rolling Stones.

KISS released a lot of shit, while Whitesnake was making very good to great albums.
Whitesnake haven’t made a good album since 1984.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Since this is KISS we are discussing...

Will there be German variants for the box set and/or vinyl?

Will "Beck" see a release on the Japanese box set, if there is to be one?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Under The Rose wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Perhaps you are unaware of their massive 1987 album that most hard rock fans say is indeed great and is a landmark album from the era, but if you prefer Crazy Crazy Nights/Turn On The Night over Still Of The Night in 1987 and Crazy Nights the album overall - you do you.

The Doug Aldrich albums blow away Sonic Boom and Monster too, but this isn't the thread for that.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 pm
Under The Rose wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm

Perhaps you are unaware of their massive 1987 album that most hard rock fans say is indeed great and is a landmark album from the era, but if you prefer Crazy Crazy Nights/Turn On The Night over Still Of The Night in 1987 and Crazy Nights the album overall - you do you.

The Doug Aldrich albums blow away Sonic Boom and Monster too, but this isn't the thread for that.
Not comparing them to KISS who were awful at that time too. Just saying Slide it In was their last great album. There are a couple on 87 that are okay, but they butchered Here I Go Again and turned an all time classic into a a hair metal anthem devoid of any charm. All their recent albums were dreadful,…80’s hair metal with horrendous vocals.
caligari

Post by caligari »

PURCHASED

5 Disc Box Set
2 LP Colored Vinyl
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:51 pm
AstroWarped wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 pm
Statuegirl21 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:26 pm One of the most visual bands in the world releases a box set that includes zero video footage.
Probably because they have the video planned for a separate release?!

So yea, they could simply release other "Destroyer" stuff as separate packages, this helps spread out the costs so it doesn't hit you all at once.

So the idea would be to keep it looking like it is still part of the boxed set, as well.
You don’t know any of that, you made it all up.
the video i believe if they used anaheim would have to pay eddie royalties as explained in the podcast
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

use punctuation you shall
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Under The Rose wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 pm

Not comparing them to KISS who were awful at that time too. Just saying Slide it In was their last great album. There are a couple on 87 that are okay, but they butchered Here I Go Again and turned an all time classic into a a hair metal anthem devoid of any charm. All their recent albums were dreadful,…80’s hair metal with horrendous vocals.
Eight million people bought that album you say is butchered, so I guess you’re outvoted.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

seattlekissfan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm
johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm All of the demos from the period are featured so there isn’t anything new that could’ve been added - the major difference is the quality is the absolute best it can be since it came from the bands vault. Even in the clip the snippets of DRC demo and Ain’t None Of Your Business sound much better than whats been floating around for years on the circuits. You can’t ask for anything better! Keep in mind that while there are Gene demos that are also featured on his vault, that project came out way before a Destroyer boxset was even thought about, and since the vault was much more costly, there are fans that still haven’t heard (let alone own) the tracks, so for COMPLETENESS, they are featured here and at a more affordable price (esp compared to the vault).

The live show is also from the archives, not off a radio broadcast, not from an audience recording. The vocals aren’t messed with! Isn’t that what fans wanted after hearing YWTB? Now we have a full live show from the original lineup, without any touchups. Sure other shows could have been used, but we have all heard (and watched) the Anaheim performance, the performance featured is special bc it is just after the albums release and the first time the band visited Europe - don’t forget this is a time capsule, it not only covers the US but everything else during that tour! This live show is what started it all, technically speaking. It’s something different.

As for the packaging, again its a time capsule. The concept was that it would bring the listener back to 1976, back to the house they were living in, the friends they had, gf/bf/wife/husband etc. you open it up and it all hits you at once, your memories and your memories of Kiss and what they were at the time. Looking at the contents I think the creators did an amazing job for what they were allowed to work with/include and taking price into the equation. The key sentence is “what they were able to work with.”

Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment and remember what it was like, what we were like, during this era? We can never go back - but this box set will give us the nostalgia, smiles we had when we were in the Kiss Army (the kit is included), or when we hung Kiss posters on our walls (they are included), when we heard the album for the first time or hundred time by the summer of ‘76 (its included), or looking through magazines for anything Kiss related (a book and mock newspaper is included), or putting stickers on our car bumpers or sneaking a tape recorder into a concert to capture that moment forever (both are included), or man I wonder what else is out there that we havent heard?? (Guess what, its included). So with all that being said - its really a decent price to re-capture our youth, isnt it??

Just my two cents
Thanks. You nailed it, man. Perfect post.
Ditto
Tito

Post by Tito »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm Now we have a full live show from the original lineup, without any touchups.
Do we know that for sure at this point? That would indeed be a first.
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

Yep KISS would have killed for a 1987 in their catalog.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

misterhand80 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 pm Since this is KISS we are discussing...

Will there be German variants for the box set and/or vinyl?

Will "Beck" see a release on the Japanese box set, if there is to be one?
I saw on one of the Facebook pages someone showed the German Destroyer album cover with the censored KISS logo and they mentioned that there will be an announcement in a couple of days. I'm holding off ordering the box set until then so that I can order everything at once to combine the murderous postage costs to Australia.
PaulsPoonanny
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by PaulsPoonanny »

Wish I could just get all the music instead of pictures i will never look at. I would pay extra for the paris concert which i have on vinyl.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

KISS and Universal can never please all the fans. However, this gives me such a rush and hope for any other future boxes they come up with next. Truly a decent and overdue box. Well done to anybody on the forum who had any input into the making of this.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Brave move for KISSonline to advertise for product preorders when the last project is still undelivered though.
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

kiss-1976 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 pm KISS and Universal can never please all the fans. However, this gives me such a rush and hope for any other future boxes they come up with next. Truly a decent and overdue box. Well done to anybody on the forum who had any input into the making of this.
well said kiss 1976
Jordvan123
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Jordvan123 »

I don't think there's an album that I love more then Destroyer or RARO so for 200 with all the extras and posters and such I can justify it.

Plus having a night like I did like last night (brother is stuck in camp and diagnosed with COVID, to put it lightly, I'm worried as hell.) this was EXACTLY what I needed to wake up to and see...and inevitably buy as well. No regrets.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?
andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

Tito wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 pm Brave move for KISSonline to advertise for product preorders when the last project is still undelivered though.
You talking about Dubai?

Totally different product. Not even comparable.
andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

I think it's a great price for a great product. However, as an avid Aucoin collector, I would have preferred different trinkets in the box set. Hard cores already have the original versions and repro stuff can't match it with the original stuff. That said, I think it is a great package.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 am

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?

Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City
Walking in the Shadow of the Blues
Love Ain't No Stranger
Guilty of Love
Sailing Ships
All for Love
Love Hunter
etc....
mrmajester
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mrmajester »

This is a must have, I was first exposed to Destroyer in 1979 and it blew me away, I think it's the first album I just kept spinning without ever skipping any of the songs, bona fide classic album.
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Mad Dog wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:52 am

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?

Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City
Walking in the Shadow of the Blues
Love Ain't No Stranger
Guilty of Love
Sailing Ships
All for Love
Love Hunter
etc....

You kind of proved my point.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Ain’t Gonna Cry No More
Blindman
Love Will Set You Free
Til the End of Time
Judgment Day
Can You Hear The Wind Blow
Forevermore
Don’t Break My Heart Again
Rough n Ready
Bad Boys
Looking for Love
Don’t Turn Away

They bury KISS in terms of great songs. Calling Dr fucking Love? Gimme a break. KISS are a fun band, but it’s never been about great music.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

This is from 2004. Compare this epic DVD to Rock the Nation lol.

andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:18 am Ain’t Gonna Cry No More
Blindman
Love Will Set You Free
Til the End of Time
Judgment Day
Can You Hear The Wind Blow
Forevermore
Don’t Break My Heart Again
Rough n Ready
Bad Boys
Looking for Love
Don’t Turn Away

They bury KISS in terms of great songs. Calling Dr fucking Love? Gimme a break. KISS are a fun band, but it’s never been about great music.
Who the f*&k are you to say KISS has never been about great music?
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Way, WAY better-looking product than I'd expected, but at 54 years old, the iron has pretty much cooled down too much for me to pay $200 (or $180 with the 10% coupon). I would've jumped faster if something similar got released on the 25th anniversary instead, lol...
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

His Majesty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 pm Interesting that the Ezrin remixed version from a few years back is not included...
Wouldn't the Sweet Pain song with Ace's original solo be from that remix.
LiveToWin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by LiveToWin »

I am surprised that we didn't get any new unheard songs. Also, it would be awesome to hear the demos for every track on the album, instead of bunch of remixes. But, I ordered as well - but with black vinyl (my favourite color).

It would be awesome to know what material was the source and what was rejected. The book itself is almost worth the half price
Spiritual_Chaos

Christmas wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:30 pm Typical FAQ cesspool.

“I want a box set”
When they get it…
“ it’s too expensive “

But at least you have some thing to bitch about for months. Or years.
Why would wanting a box set and it being seen as too expensive comparable to other box sets out there be mutually exclusive?
Spiritual_Chaos

Forevertj wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 pm
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am
nightwingken wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 am Fantastic, The Hot Mother of all Box sets

That's great, except that pearl jam SUCKS! :D
I feel so sad for you.
Spiritual_Chaos

If you want other albums post Destroyer you should support this.

Pearl Jam went from selling this everywhere:

To mashing the follow up album (VS) together with the third album (Vitalogy) and only selling it through their fanclub:

To then stop and discontinue the "series".

Not everyone is Metallica, who I imagine would follow through and release every album just because do it correct and completely even with the sales dropping. Or what do I know, maybe Load and Reload will be mashed together.
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Please shut up about Pearl fucking Jam! Literally no one cares!
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

andykiss78 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:33 am Who the f*&k are you to say KISS has never been about great music?
Their album sales and total disinterest in music proves it. They’re more interested in coffins and rubber duckies and Hello Kitty and Scooby Doo crossovers. That’s a fact.
andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:50 am
andykiss78 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:33 am Who the f*&k are you to say KISS has never been about great music?
Their album sales and total disinterest in music proves it. They’re more interested in coffins and rubber duckies and Hello Kitty and Scooby Doo crossovers. That’s a fact.
So they can't do both?
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

They could.

They choose not to.
Spiritual_Chaos

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:59 am They could.

They choose not to.
They are 70 years old. And no one buys music anymore.
GermanKissFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GermanKissFan »

Some have already asked this but didn't get any reply from the people in the know, so I'll ask again: Are ANY of these new products (CD box, black vinyl, coloured vinyl) a KISSonline exclusive or can we buy these things on our local amazon site later on? Shipping to Germany (+ custom fees) makes all this pretty unaffordable...
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?
The Snakebite EP
About half of the Trouble album
About half of the Lovehunter album
The whole Ready & Willin' album
About half of the Saints & Sinners album
Almost all of the Come & Get it album
The majority of the Slide It In album

Oh, and Coverdale's pre-Whitesnake pair of solo albums are worth investigating as well although only bits of them are hard rock. He was singing up a storm from '77-'84.
Last edited by Glasgow Kiss on Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

GermanKissFan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:18 am Some have already asked this but didn't get any reply from the people in the know, so I'll ask again: Are ANY of these new products (CD box, black vinyl, coloured vinyl) a KISSonline exclusive or can we buy these things on our local amazon site later on? Shipping to Germany (+ custom fees) makes all this pretty unaffordable...
Depends on how many they plan on producing, but I suspect I would have to order this online from OS to Australia.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 am

They choose not to.
You’d better tell that to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Whitesnake, McCartney, Journey, Ozzy, Cheap Trick and Alice Cooper because they’re around the same age and all still cranking out regular new music. I think everyone on that list has done a new album in the last two years. You’d better contact them ASAP and tell them Gene and Paul told you no one buys music anymore. Lol.
andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:45 am

They choose not to.
You’d better tell that to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Whitesnake, McCartney, Journey, Ozzy, Cheap Trick and Alice Cooper because they’re around the same age and all still cranking out regular new music. I think everyone on that list has done a new album in the last two years. You’d better contact them ASAP and tell them Gene and Paul told you no one buys music anymore. Lol.
You weren't talking about making new music, you said that KISS never made great music.
Spiritual_Chaos

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:45 am

They choose not to.
What has that to do with Gene and Paul not seeing a point in releasing more music under the KISS name?

Neil Young is releasing a new Crazy Horse-album this year. Eddie Vedder is releasing a new soloalbum also. So?
Goady
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Goady »

GermanKissFan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:18 am Some have already asked this but didn't get any reply from the people in the know, so I'll ask again: Are ANY of these new products (CD box, black vinyl, coloured vinyl) a KISSonline exclusive or can we buy these things on our local amazon site later on? Shipping to Germany (+ custom fees) makes all this pretty unaffordable...
Will be a German release. No word on any other distributors.
Tbond
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tbond »

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?
Slow and Easy
The Deeper The Love