Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

A dedicated forum to discussion of other bands. Wanna talk LL Cool J? Go for it! Prince? Go for it! Spice Girls or Lady Gaga? Go for it! Don't get pigeon-holed into liking just one genre of music!
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

Post by Vandelay Industries »

In the early 90's, JY was supposed to play a gig at the local club in the town I was living, and it got cancelled because he literally did not sell ONE single ticket. I guess JY's presence in Styx must be useless then, amirite?

So, the "Dennis would have no effect on things, because he only plays shows 1/4 the size of Styx" argument is nonsense logic.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Re: Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

Post by B5Erik »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:59 am In the early 90's, JY was supposed to play a gig at the local club in the town I was living, and it got cancelled because he literally did not sell ONE single ticket. I guess JY's presence in Styx must be useless then, amirite?

So, the "Dennis would have no effect on things, because he only plays shows 1/4 the size of Styx" argument is nonsense logic.
I didn't say he'd have no impact, just not a significant impact.

It's not like casual fans are familiar with DDY, or care if he's there or not. Styx, for better or worse, is kind of a faceless band, like Foreigner. Foreigner sells 2,000 tickets per show with NO original members. Styx SOUNDS like the same band, with or without DDY. And since most people have no idea what the members of Styx look like it doesn't matter who's on the stage. Again, see Foreigner as an example.
Vandelay Industries

Most heritage acts will draw an automatic 1,500-2,000 people to the shows, lineups notwithstanding. If that's the ceiling these acts are aiming for, then more power to 'em.

We don't know how well Styx or Foreigner would do if Dennis or Lou's return was marketed properly, but things sure as hell wouldn't be unchanged at the box office...
battra

Post by battra »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:44 am Most heritage acts will draw an automatic 1,500-2,000 people to the shows, lineups notwithstanding. If that's the ceiling these acts are aiming for, then more power to 'em.

We don't know how well Styx or Foreigner would do if Dennis or Lou's return was marketed properly, but things sure as hell wouldn't be unchanged at the box office...
I saw Foreigner with the og guitarist at the shed in front of 15,000 and a year later I saw them at the baby arena setup for 3,000 without him

I forget the guitarists name.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:44 am Most heritage acts will draw an automatic 1,500-2,000 people to the shows, lineups notwithstanding. If that's the ceiling these acts are aiming for, then more power to 'em.

I saw Foreigner with the og guitarist at the shed in front of 15,000 and a year later I saw them at the baby arena setup for 3,000 without him

Well, considering the fact that over the last 3-4 years they don't usually announce ahead of time if Mick Jones will be playing at any particular gig the attendance has nothing to do with his participation.
battra

Post by battra »

B5Erik wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 am

Well, considering the fact that over the last 3-4 years they don't usually announce ahead of time if Mick Jones will be playing at any particular gig the attendance has nothing to do with his participation.
That’s totally odd.

Because we all knew he’s be there.

But hey. I’m sure you’re right.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:29 pm
B5Erik wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 am

That’s totally odd.

Because we all knew he’s be there.

But hey. I’m sure you’re right.
Yeah, sometimes they don't even know if he's going to be playing until the afternoon of the show. His health has been pretty bad, so sometimes he shows up, but isn't up to playing. Sometimes he plays a full show, sometimes not. Supposedly he's getting better, but, who knows?
GrapeApe64
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GrapeApe64 »

Dennis' statement is on point. If JY and Tommy would stop acting like assholes and bury the hatchet, they could have one last hurrah that WOULD sell tickets.
strangeways747
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by strangeways747 »

GrapeApe64 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:24 am Dennis' statement is on point. If JY and Tommy would stop acting like assholes and bury the hatchet, they could have one last hurrah that WOULD sell tickets.
And yet they don't do it.
Why is that? They have made it clear that they don't want to deal with Dennis.
It is really that simple. 20 years on now.
I am sure they would sell more tickets with Dennis.
I am sure Styx knows that.
They are very happy doing what they do.
Dennis is more than welcome to go out on his own.
I have seen both live and both are good.
I prefer Styx.
I am seeing them Saturday.
https://www.ticketmaster.com/styx-woods ... C3EB212BB3
* (This concert is not part of the 2021 McHenry County Fair)
GrapeApe64
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GrapeApe64 »

strangeways747 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:18 pm
GrapeApe64 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:24 am Dennis' statement is on point. If JY and Tommy would stop acting like assholes and bury the hatchet, they could have one last hurrah that WOULD sell tickets.
I prefer Styx.
I have seen both as well. Dennis has a better "Tommy-clone" than Styx has a "Dennis-impersonator".
battra

Post by battra »

GrapeApe64 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:31 pm
I prefer Styx.
I have seen both as well. Dennis has a better "Tommy-clone" than Styx has a "Dennis-impersonator".
1. This is true.

2. Dennis's songs are the BEST of Styx...so having the REAL Dennis who can still sing REALLY well, makes his show better.

3. Styx and DDY have the same number of original members in the group.
Vandelay Industries

battra wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:27 pm
GrapeApe64 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:31 pm
I prefer Styx.
1. This is true.

2. Dennis's songs are the BEST of Styx...so having the REAL Dennis who can still sing REALLY well, makes his show better.

3. Styx and DDY have the same number of original members in the group.
Just took a peek at DDY's most recent setlist (granted, it was March 2020), and apart from a few songs, it's pretty similar to Styx's. I enjoyed the Styx show I attended, but admittedly I probably would've been more excited if it was DDY playing in town instead.

For all this talk about who's talents have diminished, or who would make more or less money if DDY rejoined Styx, well it hasn't stopped Styx from hiring a 6th bandmember to tour with them. I can't imagine they're paying him the dead minimum, considering he produced one of the band's more recent albums. I can't imagine they hired him because he's a nice guy, but rather to cover for the other bandmembers. So, can we lay off of DDY's abilities for a little while anyway? 😁
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:52 am
Just took a peek at DDY's most recent setlist (granted, it was March 2020), and apart from a few songs, it's pretty similar to Styx's. I enjoyed the Styx show I attended, but admittedly I probably would've been more excited if it was DDY playing in town instead.

For all this talk about who's talents have diminished, or who would make more or less money if DDY rejoined Styx, well it hasn't stopped Styx from hiring a 6th bandmember to tour with them. I can't imagine they're paying him the dead minimum, considering he produced one of the band's more recent albums. I can't imagine they hired him because he's a nice guy, but rather to cover for the other bandmembers. So, can we lay off of DDY's abilities for a little while anyway? 😁
Saw Styx Saturday night.
It was a great show.
setlist:
The Fight of Our Lives
Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Lady
Reveries
Light Up
Sound the Alarm
Crystal Ball
Crash of the Crown
Rockin the Paradise
Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man)
Suite Madam Blue
Save Us From Ourselves
Too Much Time on My Hands
Khedive
Lost at Sea
Come Sail Away
Mr Roboto
Renegade
Vandelay Industries

strangeways747 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:34 pm
Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:52 am

Saw Styx Saturday night.
It was a great show.
setlist:
The Fight of Our Lives
Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Lady
Reveries
Light Up
Sound the Alarm
Crystal Ball
Crash of the Crown
Rockin the Paradise
Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man)
Suite Madam Blue
Save Us From Ourselves
Too Much Time on My Hands
Khedive
Lost at Sea
Come Sail Away
Mr Roboto
Renegade
Lucky you. Our city wasn't worthy enough for Chuck to make an appearance :lol:
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:27 pm 2. Dennis's songs are the BEST of Styx...
He didn't write Renegade or Blue Collar Man, the absolute BEST STYX SONGS. :wink:
battra

Post by battra »

B5Erik wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:52 am
battra wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:27 pm 2. Dennis's songs are the BEST of Styx...
He didn't write Renegade or Blue Collar Man, the absolute BEST STYX SONGS. :wink:
I think you misspelled The Grand Illusion. ;)

Seriously though, those are great songs is Too Much Time On My Hands, but I'd argue Dennis's keys really make those songs pop.

It's weird, but here I am praising a keyboard player not named James Leg or Ray Manzerak..haha.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Queen Of Spades has always been my favorite Styx song. Just a great rocker that Dennis co-wrote.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:05 pm Queen Of Spades has always been my favorite Styx song. Just a great rocker that Dennis co-wrote.
Love Queen of Spades
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

James "JY" Young, founding member of Styx is the guest for episode 1086. Styx is currently on tour in support of their latest album, Crash Of The Crown, which debuted at #1 on the Billboard Rock Album chart. They'll be playing in Austin on Saturday, 10/23 at the Nutty Brown Amphitheater and Sunday 10/24 at Floore's Country Store in San Antonio. Go to Styxworld.com for more tour dates and more. JY and I have a great phone conversation about touring in 2021, the making of Crash Of The Crown, "Miss America", what he does with his time off the road, the Styx creative record making process and much more. I had a great time getting to know JY. I'm sure you will too.

https://howdidigethere.podbean.com/e/ep ... BdRBSIfpOQ

acevog75

Post by acevog75 »

Oh whatever. They’re doing just fine.
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

B5Erik wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am
ziggity hoo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 pm The problem is those VH1 specials were watched by lots of people and what was said on them is treated as gospel truth. people still believe Steve Perry doesn't sing anymore because of his bad hip. JY and Shaw ran Dennis down for wimpy ballads and being a meanie that made them do Kilroy. Dennis admitted he took the lead as leader because no one else wanted to most likely. But the Erik's of the world call him dictator with out knowing anything. Look up dictator. A dictator wouldn't share song writing on an album. If Dennis was so bad why did Tommy ask to put Styx back together in 1989 or else he would do Damn Yankees like that was a threat or something. Why if Dennis was so bad would Tommy go to his house to do a rerecording of a wimpy ballad like Lady? Why, after he got divorced and taken to the cleaners, would Tommy ask Dennis again to put Styx back on the road to help his broke ass out? If Dennis was Satan in human form why would Tommy ask him to show up for an in store performance when he was pushing his 7 Deadly Zens album? If Dennis was so bad why would they want to make an album and want to do another tour with him? Their lies don't add up. Dennis was getting older, almost 10 years older than Shaw, wasn't feeling well and had his nest egg and didn't want to pound the pavement on the road all year anymore. So instead of being the guys that dumped a sick OG original member of the band they had to attack his character which is pretty fucking low. But money does that to people. Styx was a band. I don't want a full Dennis album. Nor do I want a full Tommy or JY album. That's why they worked you got a mixed bag on their records
Wow. I guess it's all black and white with you. Either someone is a horrible monster or they're perfectly fine.

Dennis is pushy. He's bossy. He's demanding. He thinks he knows better than the other guys. He's even admitted that he took over the band and called the shots.

So how did that Kilroy album and tour go, anyway? What? It killed Styx's career? You don't say. That was 100% DDY. His idea, his concept, his demand.

He's NOT a team player. He's basically admitted as much.

And he's NOT the draw that some people here think he is. When he plays solo gigs how many people show up? 1/4 as many as for Styx shows? He's not going to bring enough attendance to the table to make it worth the extra money he's going to demand.
Black and white? Maybe, but what he said is factual. You just sidestepped almost all of it. With due respect, if anything you are the black and white one. I respect your passion and musical knowledge at times, but you can also be one of the most inflexible people I know when it comes to music. But I digress...

As for what DDY draws, put DDY back in Styx and they're playing arenas. He's that important in the Styx world. It's the whole sum of the parts thing at play here.

Some bands can withstand a change in personnel and even flourish without key members, but some bands are just not the same when you take out a certain member(s). Styx without DDY is one of those bands for me. They're nowhere near as good without DDY. As cheesy as DDY is, Gowan is just as cheesy and 'showboaty' and his voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Shaw is incredibly talented as a musician and songwriter, but it's indisputable that he and JY are where they are because of Dennis. Of course, there's no way JY would have DDY back in the band. This guy has to be the most bitter fuck in rock and roll. His hatred for DDY is very obvious in interviews and the smug look he gives when discussing him does him no favours. It's clear to see that he derives pleasure slagging DeYoung. Oh, and JYs songs have, for the most part, almost always been the worst songs in the Styx catalog. There's no doubt he's ridden on the coattails of Shaw & DDY, because he can't write for shit (or sing for that matter).

I have no interest in Styx without DeYoung and wouldn't bother seeing the band live without him. Not because I think they suck (they're all great musicians), but it's just not the same listening to Gowan squeaking the DDY songs they do have in the set. I've watched quite a few videos from both camps on Youtube and I think DDY's current band plays classic Styx better than the current Styx does. Of course, his voice helps as it's immediately identifiable as the voice of Styx, but his band also plays the songs immaculately for the most part. While Styx admittedly plays them really well, the X-Factor is missing, and that's DeYoung's vocals, keyboards and presence. Styx without Dennis DeYoung is like Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott. He was their most identifiable member and the architect of their sound. I find it incredible that DeYoung at 70 years old still has the great vocal chops he does. At 74 he still sounds better than Gowan.

Another interesting thing is that for the last 20 years, he and Tommy have continually taken personal and professional shots at DDY, but DDY has for the most part taken the high road and continually gives credit where due when recounting his time with the band. Of course, now they're playing a song they once claimed toi hate and one that helped kill the band.
Last edited by Frehley's Vomit on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Frehley's Vomit

B5Erik wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 am
I agree with you that the Styx albums are good. They are both making good music. My overall point is that I think if De Young came back for a new album, I have no doubt that it would be a strong reunion record because he has been delivering on his own with these last two albums. We are not talking Psycho Circus here.
But, here's the thing - DeYoung is a bit of a dictator. He'd take over the project. That's what Tommy and JY don't want.
They seemed happy enough when his projects awarded them platinum albums and the riches that come with the success of his songs on said projects.
jestor92
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jestor92 »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:34 am
B5Erik wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 am
I agree with you that the Styx albums are good. They are both making good music. My overall point is that I think if De Young came back for a new album, I have no doubt that it would be a strong reunion record because he has been delivering on his own with these last two albums. We are not talking Psycho Circus here.
But, here's the thing - DeYoung is a bit of a dictator. He'd take over the project. That's what Tommy and JY don't want.
They seemed happy enough when his projects awarded them platinum albums and the riches that come with the success of his songs on said projects.
Money helps ease a lot of problems for these guys.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 am

As for what DDY draws, put DDY back in Styx and they're playing arenas. He's that important in the Styx world.
Styx World isn't that big anymore. Even with DDY they'd only be playing large theaters and small (6k seat) arenas. Styx doesn't have that many die hard fans anymore.
Frehley's Vomit

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:23 am
B5Erik wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am
ziggity hoo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 pm The problem is those VH1 specials were watched by lots of people and what was said on them is treated as gospel truth. people still believe Steve Perry doesn't sing anymore because of his bad hip. JY and Shaw ran Dennis down for wimpy ballads and being a meanie that made them do Kilroy. Dennis admitted he took the lead as leader because no one else wanted to most likely. But the Erik's of the world call him dictator with out knowing anything. Look up dictator. A dictator wouldn't share song writing on an album. If Dennis was so bad why did Tommy ask to put Styx back together in 1989 or else he would do Damn Yankees like that was a threat or something. Why if Dennis was so bad would Tommy go to his house to do a rerecording of a wimpy ballad like Lady? Why, after he got divorced and taken to the cleaners, would Tommy ask Dennis again to put Styx back on the road to help his broke ass out? If Dennis was Satan in human form why would Tommy ask him to show up for an in store performance when he was pushing his 7 Deadly Zens album? If Dennis was so bad why would they want to make an album and want to do another tour with him? Their lies don't add up. Dennis was getting older, almost 10 years older than Shaw, wasn't feeling well and had his nest egg and didn't want to pound the pavement on the road all year anymore. So instead of being the guys that dumped a sick OG original member of the band they had to attack his character which is pretty fucking low. But money does that to people. Styx was a band. I don't want a full Dennis album. Nor do I want a full Tommy or JY album. That's why they worked you got a mixed bag on their records
Wow. I guess it's all black and white with you. Either someone is a horrible monster or they're perfectly fine.

Dennis is pushy. He's bossy. He's demanding. He thinks he knows better than the other guys. He's even admitted that he took over the band and called the shots.

So how did that Kilroy album and tour go, anyway? What? It killed Styx's career? You don't say. That was 100% DDY. His idea, his concept, his demand.

He's NOT a team player. He's basically admitted as much.

And he's NOT the draw that some people here think he is. When he plays solo gigs how many people show up? 1/4 as many as for Styx shows? He's not going to bring enough attendance to the table to make it worth the extra money he's going to demand.
Black and white? Maybe, but what he said is factual. You just sidestepped almost all of it. With due respect, if anything you are the black and white one. I respect your passion and musical knowledge at times, but you can also be one of the most inflexible people I know when it comes to music. But I digress...

As for what DDY draws, put DDY back in Styx and they're playing arenas. He's that important in the Styx world. It's the whole sum of the parts thing at play here.

Some bands can withstand a change in personnel and even flourish without key members, but some bands are just not the same when you take out a certain member(s). Styx without DDY is one of those bands for me. They're nowhere near as good without DDY. As cheesy as DDY is, Gowan is just as cheesy and 'showboaty' and his voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Shaw is incredibly talented as a musician and songwriter, but it's indisputable that he and JY are where they are because of Dennis. Of course, there's no way JY would have DDY back in the band. This guy has to be the most bitter fuck in rock and roll. His hatred for DDY is very obvious in interviews and the smug look he gives when discussing him does him no favours. It's clear to see that he derives pleasure slagging DeYoung. Oh, and JYs songs have, for the most part, almost always been the worst songs in the Styx catalog. There's no doubt he's ridden on the coattails of Shaw & DDY, because he can't write for shit (or sing for that matter).

I have no interest in Styx without DeYoung and wouldn't bother seeing the band live without him. Not because I think they suck (they're all great musicians), but it's just not the same listening to Gowan squeaking the DDY songs they do have in the set. I've watched quite a few videos from both camps on Youtube and I think DDY's current band plays classic Styx better than the current Styx does. Of course, his voice helps as it's immediately identifiable as the voice of Styx, but his band also plays the songs immaculately for the most part. While Styx admittedly plays them really well, the X-Factor is missing, and that's DeYoung's vocals, keyboards and presence. Styx without Dennis DeYoung is like Thin Lizzy without Phil Lynott. He was their most identifiable member and the architect of their sound. I find it incredible that DeYoung at 70 years old still has the great vocal chops he does. At 74 he still sounds better than Gowan.

Another interesting thing is that for the last 20 years, he and Tommy have continually taken personal and professional shots at DDY, but DDY has for the most part taken the high road and continually gives credit where due when recounting his time with the band. Of course, now they're playing a song they once claimed to hate and one that helped kill the band.