Paul Stanley: The Lover

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Under The Rose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Paul Stanley: The Lover

Post by Under The Rose »

When I was first introduced to KISS in 1978 I was told that the four characters were the demon, the cat, the spaceman and the lover. I don’t think it was until I saw Attack of the Phantoms in 1980 that I heard Starchild Being used.

Does anybody know the history on this? When did Paul’s character become the Starchild? Was the lover character ever officially documented?

Certainly if you look at the notes on Alive! Paul’s character was the lover at that point....his note starts off “My dear lovers”. All the pics with roses seem to fit that theme too. On the Say It Goes interview, the interviewer Tony Wilson, when asking about the characters says to Paul “You’re love”, and Paul certainly goes along with that.

When did Starchild emerge? I’m guessing Paul was influenced by Casablanca stablemates Parliament’s character Starchild, which was referenced as early as 1975. Perhaps he liked the sound of it, and given his star makeup decided his character should be called the Starchild.

I also remember seeing Paul’s character listed as the Lover in at least one magazine at the time. But I’m convinced he was widely regarded as the Lover for most of the early years.

For me his character will always be the Lover. It just fit better and made more sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Under The Rose on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

southernkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Paul Stanley: The Lover

Post by southernkiss »

Was Gene originally referred to as the Bat?

I do not know when the Starchild moniker started.

caligari

Post by caligari »

I think Starchild first showed up in the first KISS/MARVEL Comic. I think it’s because Boys reading super hero comic books could associate better with STARCHILD, than LOVER.

Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

southernkiss wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:01 am

I was first introduced to Gene as the Demon in 78. But also saw him called the bat lizard in various places.

Tanith
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Tanith »

I'm not sure if "Starchild" was in use prior to KMTPOTP. That may very well be the first time that aspect of the character appeared. Kinda difficult to picture a "lover" character in any of those cheesy fight scenes. What would he have done, kissed the albino werewolves to death? :P

Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

caligari wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:04 am
I think Starchild first showed up in the first KISS/MARVEL Comic. I think it’s because Boys reading super hero comic books could associate better with STARCHILD, than LOVER.
Right...and what super powers could you give a lover! Haha. Not worth thinking about.

southernkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by southernkiss »

Under The Rose wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:07 am
caligari wrote:
Right...and what super powers could you give a lover! Haha. Not worth thinking about.
The power to shoot a Love Gun with precise accuracy! Could Paul be known as the Sharpshooter?

Kloetenburger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kloetenburger »

What is a Starchild anyway?

Dengar
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Dengar »

Don't know if it's accurate. But I've read that the first time the character names (Starchild, Demon, Cat Man and Space Ace) were used was in the Howard the Duck comic in 1977.

ImAPlumber
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ImAPlumber »

I read an interview with Ace from back in the '70s (I think) where he referred to Paul's character as the "Poseur".

Lofton23rdSt
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Didn't Paul say that he always wanted to be a rockstar before KMTPOTP?

Nellcote71

Post by Nellcote71 »

Under The Rose wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:55 am
When I was first introduced to KISS in 1978 I was told that the four characters were the demon, the cat, the spaceman and the lover. I don’t think it was until I saw Attack of the Phantoms in 1980 that I heard Starchild Being used.

Does anybody know the history on this? When did Paul’s character become the Starchild? Was the lover character ever officially documented?

Certainly if you look at the notes on Alive! Paul’s character was the lover at that point....his note starts off “My dear lovers”. All the pics with roses seem to fit that theme too. On the Say It Goes interview, the interviewer Tony Wilson, when asking about the characters says to Paul “You’re love”, and Paul certainly goes along with that.

When did Starchild emerge? I’m guessing Paul was influenced by Casablanca stablemates Parliament’s character Starchild, which was referenced as early as 1975. Perhaps he liked the sound of it, and given his star makeup decided his character should be called the Starchild.

I also remember seeing Paul’s character listed as the Lover in at least one magazine at the time. But I’m convinced he was widely regarded as the Lover for most of the early years.

For me his character will always be the Lover. It just fit better and made more sense.
Paul’s just a little confused

Glasgow Kiss
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

The first I remember the names of the characters being used was the Kiss Marvel special - I think the Howard the Duck appearance predated that though. Prior to that I think the only defined character was the Cat...Ace was known as "Space" Ace Frehley fairly early, but not the Spaceman...the other two? Who knows...Gene was a bat/lizard/vampire type amalgam rather than the Demon and Paul was...umm...Paul.

The Starchild made perfect sense when I saw it - although it's still a bit nebulous - but his character has always been the least defined of the four, one they ckearly weren't 100% sure about by the time they started touring.

mot$$33
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by mot$$33 »

Me and all my little friends Called them Demon, the Cat, Spaceman and Lover starting in 75.

B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

I read Starchild from stuff written as early as 1976. That was also the term used in their Marvel Comics appearances.

Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Mr Slow »

There was a bit of a grey area surrounding the characters in the early years. Because they were't always clearly defined by the band themselves, I think the media often came up with their own interpretation of what they were. When we read magazines back in the day, often it was probably some journalist with no real clue of what KISS was all about taking a guess at what the makeup, the costumes, the photos and the stage antics all represented.

I've heard Paul being called the Starchild, the Lover, the Star Lover, Gene has been the Bat, the Bat Lizard, the Demon, the Monster, Ace was the Spaceman or Space Ace and even Peter's character went from Cat to Catman. And don't even get me started on Vinnie! The Ankh, Ankh Warrior, The Wiz, Egyptian Warrior, Egyptian Pharaoh, his character seemed to be the most mysterious of all. Kinda like Vinnie in real life when you think about it! :lol:

Tanith
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Tanith »

And then, of course, we have the "Psycho Circus" comic series which turned Paul into "Star-bearer", Peter into "Beast King", and Ace into "Celestial". I give the creators credit for coming up with a whole mythos around those characters, but I still haven't quite worked out what a "Star-bearer" is.

Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

I remember The Lover being referred to Paul's persona in the earlier days, much like Gene was also known as the Bat-Lizard.

missingdiver

Post by missingdiver »

southernkiss wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:10 am
Under The Rose wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:07 am
caligari wrote:
The power to shoot a Love Gun with precise accuracy! Could Paul be known as the Sharpshooter?
Somehow we gotta work Mr Speed into it as well..?

Elderguy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Elderguy »

He was called a lover in the liner notes of the 1997 Alive! remaster by Robert V Conte.

Elderguy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Elderguy »

Tanith wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 pm
but I still haven't quite worked out what a "Star-bearer" is.
It’s sorta like a fluffer but different.

Tito

Post by Tito »

ImAPlumber wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:18 am
I read an interview with Ace from back in the '70s (I think) where he referred to Paul's character as the "Poseur".
I think that was in the early '90s guitar magazines. He listed them as Spaceman, Catman, Monster and Poser.

battra

Post by battra »

Under The Rose wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 am
southernkiss wrote:

I was first introduced to Gene as the Demon in 78. But also saw him called the bat lizard in various places.
On the Mike Douglas show he referred to himself as a bat, no a vampire....wait evil incarnate.

You probably shouldn't spit ball on your persona on live tv. :)

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

The Inner Sanctum refers to Paul as the "Ruby-lipped, pouting, dancing, lover".

I'm a fan from the 1980s but always understood Paul's character to be 'The Lover'

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Might've actually started when Stan began stuffing his drawers with rolled up gym socks?

Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

caligari wrote:
I believe this is the reason

caligari

Post by caligari »

Planet Caravan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:18 pm
I remember The Lover being referred to Paul's persona in the earlier days, much like Gene was also known as the Bat-Lizard.
It actually was CREEM magazine who coined them:

The Cat
The Space-Ace
The Bat-Lizard
&
(For all you “Little Rascals” fans... )
The Pirate-Dog

King Of Hearts
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by King Of Hearts »

If I remember correctly, in either '76 or '77 I joined the KISS Army. In the KISS Army kit I received, there was a little yellow booklet called Meet the Members of Kiss (or something like that). In that booklet Paul was The Lover.

And people, love is the greatest super power of all!

FlyingInA747
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by FlyingInA747 »

The fact that us long time KISS fans did not know what Paul's character was and did not know what Gene's character was is further proof that it was NEVER about the characters. It was always about the people. If it had indeed been about the characters, surely the Mego dolls would have been called, "Starchild", "Demon" etc. Can you imagine a line of dolls like, "Dr. Strange" "Superman" "Iron Man" ...and then "Gene". Makes no sense.

FlyingInA747
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by FlyingInA747 »

FlyingInA747 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:37 pm
The fact that us long time KISS fans did not know what Paul's character was and did not know what Gene's character was is further proof that it was NEVER about the characters. It was always about the people. If it had indeed been about the characters, surely the Mego dolls would have been called, "Starchild", "Demon" etc. Can you imagine being in a toy store and seeing a row of dolls named, "Dr. Strange" "Superman" "Iron Man" ...and then "Gene". Makes no sense.

southernkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by southernkiss »

battra wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 am
Under The Rose wrote:
southernkiss wrote:

On the Mike Douglas show he referred to himself as a bat, no a vampire....wait evil incarnate.

He was not very convincing. Everyone could tell he was just a nice, Jewish kid from Long Island! :lol:

battra

Post by battra »

southernkiss wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:04 pm
battra wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 am
Under The Rose wrote:
southernkiss wrote:

He was not very convincing. Everyone could tell he was just a nice, Jewish kid from Long Island! :lol:
He was uncomfortable in his own skin...and as someone who sells things for a living...

You ain't sellin' if you ain't comfortable.

ImAPlumber
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ImAPlumber »

Tito wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:22 am
ImAPlumber wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:18 am
I think that was in the early '90s guitar magazines. He listed them as Spaceman, Catman, Monster and Poser.
Yeah I think you're right. I don't know why my brain went right to the '70s. Good call.

ImAPlumber
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ImAPlumber »

FlyingInA747 wrote:
The fact that us long time KISS fans did not know what Paul's character was and did not know what Gene's character was is further proof that it was NEVER about the characters. It was always about the people. If it had indeed been about the characters, surely the Mego dolls would have been called, "Starchild", "Demon" etc. Can you imagine a line of dolls like, "Dr. Strange" "Superman" "Iron Man" ...and then "Gene". Makes no sense.
Agree! I guess when they crossed over into Marvel the marketing wing of KISS, Inc. had taken hold. And I noticed that in the '00s (can't really nail down the exact year), when P&G first started talking about KISS 2.0, is when the "character" names really amped up once again. Doesn't seem to be quite in in the forefront these days, which leads me to believe (JMHO, guys!) that the KISS 2.0 concept/idea may not be as high on the priority list right now.

sneed78
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by sneed78 »

You would think Paul’s character would’ve been the “Rock Star” before that was such a cliche term later on. Back then the term was still pop star.

As mentioned, “Starchild” was already used by Parliament and the “Lover” isn’t “super hero” sounding whatsoever.

But purple does fit the “Lover” concept the best... yellow would fit any name with “Star” better imo.

Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Even in KMTPOTP Paul is showing his sensitive “lover” characteristics by being the one hugging and sympathizing with Melissa and helping her find her lover, Sam. So it wasn’t as though he was no longer the Lover, just that the name of the lover character was Starchild!

kinetic74

Post by kinetic74 »

He was "The Lover" on some items. And "The Love Object" on other early items. Interestingly even AFTER the Marvel Comics, the characters will still not locked in. These from the booklet of the 1978 makeup kit...

andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

ImAPlumber wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:49 pm
FlyingInA747 wrote:
Agree! I guess when they crossed over into Marvel the marketing wing of KISS, Inc. had taken hold. And I noticed that in the '00s (can't really nail down the exact year), when P&G first started talking about KISS 2.0, is when the "character" names really amped up once again. Doesn't seem to be quite in in the forefront these days, which leads me to believe (JMHO, guys!) that the KISS 2.0 concept/idea may not be as high on the priority list right now.
Character names actually amped up during the Psycho Circus era. Look at the cover of the album

Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

kinetic74 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:15 am
He was "The Lover" on some items. And "The Love Object" on other early items. Interestingly even AFTER the Marvel Comics, the characters will still not locked in. These from the booklet of the 1978 makeup kit...

Nice! Thanks for sharing.