1982/83 era band shots

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

1982/83 era band shots

Post by Mr Slow »

I may just be reading into things, but when you look at photos of the band during the CREATURES/LICK IT UP era Vinnie often seems to be trying to take the limelight. Ace spent a total of 14 years in KISS, Bruce 12 and now Tommy 18, but I doubt you’d find this many pictures of them as the main focal point. It’s almost always Gene and/or Paul.

It may have been Gene & Paul themselves pushing Vinnie out front to try and embrace the whole guitar slinger era, but I doubt their egos would allow that to happen. By this point the 4 equal members angle they pushed in the beginning was long gone. This was Gene & Paul’s band now. It’s far more realistic to think Vinnie himself did this.

Again, maybe I’m reading too much I nto it. Perhaps because he was a shorter guy they let him be in front more often. But none of the 3 KISS drummers (all shorter guys) had the same freedom in band shots. It’s just interesting to look at the dynamics of the band. So many photos from this 2 year period feature Vinnie as the prominent member. If you never knew KISS in many cases you’d be excused for thinking he was the singer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wiped Out 78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: 1982/83 era band shots

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

Not seeing it. If Vinnie had been trying to hog the limelight in photo sessions, it would've taken G&P about 10 seconds to shut it down.

C

Post by C »

This is so true, it feels like he was "driving the KISS car" for a while, it does not only show in pictures.....
Songwriting credits as well .... No member did this ever in the past or future, it does not compare to any era....
I strongly think that Dance all Over your face and FLAG has some Vincent uncredited input.

jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Remember, children - Vinnie saved Kiss.

TheSpoiler
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by TheSpoiler »

I agree, for a while there it looked and sounded like VV was driving the band. I wish it had continued.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx »

TheSpoiler wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 pm
I agree, for a while there it looked and sounded like VV was driving the band. I wish it had continued.
And we know Vinnie had 9 co-writes on LICK IT UP. Gene admitted it.

GENE SIMMONS: "Fits Like A Glove" started off with a guitar patter that I had. THEN VINNIE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE.

It's also funny that Paul was so praising of Vinnie and the LICK IT UP album prior to the album coming out.

Once all the glowing reviews of the album were out and most giving Vinnie credit for the bands turnaround and great new album..... Paul's green eyed monster came into play.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

TheSphinx wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm
TheSpoiler wrote:

GENE SIMMONS: "Fits Like A Glove" started off with a guitar patter that I had. THEN VINNIE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE.

It's also funny that Paul was so praising of Vinnie and the LICK IT UP album prior to the album coming out.

Once all the glowing reviews of the album were out and most giving Vinnie credit for the bands turnaround and great new album..... Paul's green eyed monster came into play.

image.png
Nah...Vinnie may have helped with Fits, but he didn't get credit. Stop making shit up...try to use facts moving forward. Vinnie has 8 co-writes on Lick it Up....fact.

Tallbear13
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tallbear13 »

Looks like no big deal if the photographer wanted the shots done that way and Gene & Paul said no the pictures would look different

C

Post by C »

shandi777 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Nah...Vinnie may have helped with Fits, but he didn't get credit. Stop making shit up...try to use facts moving forward. Vinnie has 8 co-writes on Lick it Up....fact.

Gene himself said that it's in BEHIND THE MASK

ClevelandRocker
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ClevelandRocker »

Vinnie and Eric both would have had to stand on milk crates to look as tall as Paul and Gene. I think the photographer had to put them in front in some photos or you would not be able to see them period.

ManOf1000Faces
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Maybe it was reverse psychology. Don't hide the replacement, make him stand out.

richardsimmons
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by richardsimmons »

Very cool photos. My 2nd favorite era of the group.

The photoshoot featuring Photos 3 & 5 is always so fucking cool!!

Also, Tommy Thayer almost two decades in the band & still less significant than MSJ. Damn.

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Sometimes Gene and Paul do little things where you wonder, huh? With Vinnie, they were probably just trying to push the fact that hey, see every9ne we're still here with another guy. But if he was in the back a bit, he'd still be seen.

With Creatures itself, look at the cover of the actual Creatures album - who is the most prominent? Eric Carr. In all due respect to Eric, it's freaking stupid that G&P aren't dominating that cover. And I'm sure Eric didn't push his face in front and on top for that shot. Nothing gets by without G&P's ok.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

richardsimmons wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:20 pm
Tommy Thayer almost two decades in the band & still less significant than MSJ. Damn.
Says who? Only you!

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

redinthesky wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:25 pm
Sometimes Gene and Paul do little things where you wonder, huh? With Vinnie, they were probably just trying to push the fact that hey, see every9ne we're still here with another guy. But if he was in the back a bit, he'd still be seen.

With Creatures itself, look at the cover of the actual Creatures album - who is the most prominent? Eric Carr. In all due respect to Eric, it's freaking stupid that G&P aren't dominating that cover. And I'm sure Eric didn't push his face in front and on top for that shot. Nothing gets by without G&P's ok.

Yeah you’re probably right. ALIVE is another where Ace is the prominent person. It just seemed a bit more frequent during the Vinnie era. Like I said earlier, Ace, Bruce & Tommy probably feature less as the main guy in pictures in their decade or more in the band than Vinnie did for his less than 2 years.

Have you ever seen a shot like this where you can only see Paul’s head? He might as well be the drummer! :lol:

Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Wiped Out 78 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm
Not seeing it. If Vinnie had been trying to hog the limelight in photo sessions, it would've taken G&P about 10 seconds to shut it down.
Agree

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Tail of a hurricane wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 pm
Wiped Out 78 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm
Agree
But don’t you guys think it’s unusual that the new guy seemed to be more prominently placed in group photos? Like I said already, it is somewhat rare throughout KISStory to see anybody but Gene & Paul is the main focus of a group shot. It’s either carefully constructed to be all 4, or Gene and/or Paul as the main guy.

Not saying it necessarily Vinnie forcing his way to the front. It might have been a deliberate thing to spotlight the new guitar wiz (considering it was the early 80’s and VH was having a big impact). But I don’t think it was just a coincidence. Those photos took me 5 minutes to find. I’m sure there are many others that show Vinnie front and centre.

KISSCOMPLETE
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by KISSCOMPLETE »

Or maybe Vinnie was new at this amount of photoshoots and didn't know how to pose automatically ?

drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Well they finally had a guitarist that wanted to be up front, Vinnie was heavily promoted during this era and he was excellent in front of a camera. Don’t see the issue myself. I will say that the Vinnie era was the last time they had three front men up front, and it was great!!

Elderguy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Elderguy »

ManOf1000Faces wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 pm
Maybe it was reverse psychology. Don't hide the replacement, make him stand out.

Elderguy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Elderguy »

Mr Slow wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:58 pm
Yeah you’re probably right. ALIVE is another where Ace is the prominent person. It just seemed a bit more frequent during the Vinnie era. Like I said earlier, Ace, Bruce & Tommy probably feature less as the main guy in pictures in their decade or more in the band than Vinnie did for his less than 2 years.

Have you ever seen a shot like this where you can only see Paul’s head? He might as well be the drummer! :lol:

Last edited by Elderguy on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

C wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:56 pm
shandi777 wrote:

Read my post again as I don't dispute what Gene said. Still doesn't change the fact that Vinnie does not posses a co-write for FLAG.

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I don't know but you can be sure no shots G&P didn't approve of would have ever seen the light of day.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

drgbootz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm
Well they finally had a guitarist that wanted to be up front, Vinnie was heavily promoted during this era and he was excellent in front of a camera. Don’t see the issue myself. I will say that the Vinnie era was the last time they had three front men up front, and it was great!!
No issue, just an observation. It’s pretty unique throughout the bands history to have anybody but Gene or Paul as the main focal point of a photo. Vinnie had that position very frequently in his short stint with KISS.

drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Mr Slow wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 pm
drgbootz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm
No issue, just an observation. It’s pretty unique throughout the bands history to have anybody but Gene or Paul as the main focal point of a photo. Vinnie had that position very frequently in his short stint with KISS.
Vinnie was probably tenacious enough to take it, probably got on Paul’s nerves on stage I’ll imagine less so in photo shoots

curryleaf
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by curryleaf »

They really do look SO good in those first 6 make-up shots. I agree that Vinnie does seem to have been given/allowed maximum exposure, whether than was deliberate or not, I guess we'll never know.

doombies
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by doombies »

jannep17 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:10 pm
indeed! everyone in the history of the band saved KISS, except for gene

jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

doombies wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 am
jannep17 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:10 pm
indeed! everyone in the history of the band saved KISS, except for gene
And Ace? He did nothing.

scottbassist
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by scottbassist »

TheSphinx wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:58 pm
TheSpoiler wrote:

image.png

It’s interesting that, in that 1983 article, Simmons says Peter Criss “left” Kiss, instead of saying Criss was “fired” from Kiss, like Gene has said in recent years. Lol! 😎

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx »

C wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:56 pm
shandi777 wrote:

Facts don't matter to her. All she cares about is what it says on the album. Which is hilarious since Gene and Paul PUT THEIR NAMES on plenty of songs they didn't co-write at all. Or Gene changes one word... that counts as a co-write :D :lol:

ManOf1000Faces
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Elderguy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm
ManOf1000Faces wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 pm
This clearly is evidence that Singer thinks ESP is bigger than KISS :D