Early Frehley's Comet review

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Admin
Gettin' Uppity

Early Frehley's Comet review

Post by Admin » Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace of Bass
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Early Frehley's Comet review

Post by Ace of Bass » Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Nifty write up. Looks like Gene isn’t alone thinking the debut album opened with Deuce.

TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by TheSphinx » Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm

It's a damn shame the original group didn't stay together! And its a shame so many of the great songs they were doing then didn't make the debut.

Richie is what the band needed. It was ruined with Tod Boy!

If only Ace's deal with BRONZE could have lasted till he put out his debut!

"Back On The Streets" should have been his first single/video! It would have been huge for him.

But so many great memories of seeing Ace all over America in the 80's and early 90's!

Seeing Frehley's Comet was far better than seeing KISS in the mid-80's on (except the HITS tour)

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Billboard liked Tod Boys songs ... SMH
image.png

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat May 23, 2020 2:13 pm

i'm quite the Frehley's Comet fan, so its great to see them having gotten such positive attention!

Mad Dog
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mad Dog » Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm

TheSphinx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm
It's a damn shame the original group didn't stay together! And its a shame so many of the great songs they were doing then didn't make the debut.

Richie is what the band needed. It was ruined with Tod Boy!

If only Ace's deal with BRONZE could have lasted till he put out his debut!

"Back On The Streets" should have been his first single/video! It would have been huge for him.

But so many great memories of seeing Ace all over America in the 80's and early 90's!

Seeing Frehley's Comet was far better than seeing KISS in the mid-80's on (except the HITS tour)

image.png
Love the version on the album "Return Of The Comet - A Tribute To Ace Frehley". What if the original album was released in 1985/1986 on Bronze and that song indeed became a hit wonder if it was still on VVI's debut.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 pm

For the whole interview with Tod
https://www.uberrock.co.uk/interviews/6 ... comet.html

All Kiss fans were eager to hear material from Ace's new band Frehley's Comet, featuring Richie Scarlet on vocals and guitar. Suddenly, or so it seemed, you replaced Scarlet - can you describe this chain of events and tell us how you joined the band?

The whole Comet line-up happened for a reason, at least from what I remember. I met John Regan when he was with John Waite - from The Babys - and I was with Cheap Trick. We had toured together and I always enjoyed listening to their sound checks - the band was solid. John and I met, and during our conversation I had told him that I played more guitar than keys really nowadays and I also sang and wrote songs. It turns out that this was the right thing to do because he 'banked' it, and called me about six months or so after the tour to suggest that I come out to audtition for this project that he was working on - that project would turn out to be the Comet. Yes, Richie was in the band along with a keyboard player Arthur Stead, very good musicians, but with Ace on the 'wagon' (needing to stay away from temptations) and it being a better financial split it was deemed that they should scale back to a four piece with someone who could write, sing lead, play keys and guitar......and that would turn out to be me.

What a ridiculous decision that was! They cut out Richie who was 100X better than Tod. Tod ruined it with all the keyboards etc. He neutered Frehley's Comet.

What were the reasons behind stopping working with Ace, with Richie Scarlet finally getting to record with Frehley on the latter's Trouble Walkin' record?

After our 1988 tour rudely stopped while out with Iron Maiden, things went from bad to worse. We were out of money, bankrupt really, and when we all ended up at our respective homes, the 'label' had decided that for the next studio album, Ace should sing and 'write' all the tunes for it. I understood the business side of this decision but the reality was that it was the only real way I was making a living - writing songs, hence the publishing money that would come of it. So I had to call Ace and bow out. It was a very hard decsion because I had poured my musical heart out into the band with the tunes that I had written for them. The probable end of my lead singing didn't help either, I can't lie and say that it wasn't a shot through the heart personally, because it was. I thought maybe I should try to go it alone. Every person at one point or another has to make these tough life changing decisions. The proverbial rock and a hard place there.

It's ridiculous that it took the label that long to see it that way. Second SightingI was awful. It was a Tod solo album pretty much. They should have never approved that album. Ace had so many great songs in the can. But we got crap like a Dana Strum song etc. Ridiculous

What happened with the Iron Maiden tour? Did they still have alot of dates to go and had to just bail off the tour?

Trouble Walking was a good album. It was nice to see Ace got his balls back. I thought it was ridiculous that Ace had 2 covers on there. He didn't need Do Ya or Hide Your Heart.

And Remember Me is still one of my favorite Ace songs! I wish that would be played at the FINAL KISS show with Ace, Vinnie, Paul and Bruce all trading licks on the song during the encore! It would be a perfect way to end it!

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sat May 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Mad Dog wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 pm

Love the version on the album "Return Of The Comet - A Tribute To Ace Frehley". What if the original album was released in 1985/1986 on Bronze and that song indeed became a hit wonder if it was still on VVI's debut.
That version is very strong. And of course the live versions they were doing of it in 1984 and 1985 kicked serious ass.

I know Ace had put a hold on the song for his debut, but then they didn't allow him to put it on there because VVI was using it. It really sucked that Chrysalis just didn't take out Robert's vocals on "Back On The Streets" and just re-record Roberts vocals with Vinnie or Mark and put out a single/video. Who cares if it wasn't exactly the same version on the album? A huge mistake by Chrysalis.

But I would have loved to have seen a video with Ace or Vinnie taking off their makeup and walking away from a KISS show and starting over again. It was such a perfect song for either one of them.

I still wish KISS had put it on COTN. I don't buy it that Paul didn't like the way his vocals sounded on it.

Wichita77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Wichita77 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:29 pm

TheSphinx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 pm
For the whole interview with Tod
https://www.uberrock.co.uk/interviews/6 ... comet.html
Thanks for posting that. I like Tod a lot and it was great seeing him taking the high road in that interview.

Elderguy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Elderguy » Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 pm

Tod might not have really fit but Scarlet was a mediocre talent at best.

caligari

Post by caligari » Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Elderguy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 pm
I disagree. All those early shows and demos with Richie are great and he was a big part of it.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 pm

caligari wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:09 pm
Elderguy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 pm
I disagree. All those early shows and demos with Richie are great and he was a big part of it.

Amen! If this lineup could have had an album out by 1985, they could have really sold a ton of records!

Ace 1984 SIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiOOjy9_UIY

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Back On The Streets 1985 Frehley's Comet Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPNhLULNoI

I do think they slowed it down too much on the demo.

Back In My Arms demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FPBAnxY-Y

Remember Me Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3xViFCAUY

Wired Up Demo

Frehley's Comet should have been an INCREDIBLE DEBUT. Ace had so many good songs.

Lofton23rdSt
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Lofton23rdSt » Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 pm

I don't think Ace wrote those demos.

Rhiannon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Rhiannon » Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 pm

TheSphinx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm
Back On The Streets 1985 Frehley's Comet Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPNhLULNoI

I do think they slowed it down too much on the demo.

Back In My Arms demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FPBAnxY-Y

Remember Me Demo

Wired Up Demo

Frehley's Comet should have been an INCREDIBLE DEBUT. Ace had so many good songs.
Ace had way better songs to go with than what ended up on his first Comet album.Keeping his first line up, which also included Arthur Stead in it, the following songs should have been on the debut...

Audio Video....catchy as hell
Heard an Angel
Back into My Arms
Baby Its You
I Will Survive
Wired Up
Give it to me Anyway
The Hurt is On

These are just a few of some fantastic demos from that era. Someone should ask Eddie Trunk why these tracks weren't used for the debut album, at worst, easily could have been used for the Second Sighting album (what a disaster).

Ace would have a super box set of demos to release if he could take the time to do something about it.Maybe E-One could invest some time and money in this, surely it would be more profitable than any other solo release he has done with them?

Tallbear13
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Tallbear13 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Admin wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:35 pm
image.png
That is really cool, cool see reviews and other stuff like this

Den Dennis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Den Dennis » Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Really enjoyed those early Comet live shows and demos.

Elderguy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Elderguy » Sat May 23, 2020 9:24 pm

What songs did he contribute?

He’s no better a singer than Ace is.

He’s not as good a guitarist as Ace is.

He didn’t have a unique image, he’s just an Ace-lite.

Ergo he didn’t serve a purpose.

Bands need a bunch of different people each bringing something unique to the table.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sun May 24, 2020 11:15 am

Rhiannon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Ace had way better songs to go with than what ended up on his first Comet album.Keeping his first line up, which also included Arthur Stead in it, the following songs should have been on the debut...

Audio Video....catchy as hell
Heard an Angel
Back into My Arms
Baby Its You
I Will Survive
Wired Up
Give it to me Anyway
The Hurt is On

These are just a few of some fantastic demos from that era. Someone should ask Eddie Trunk why these tracks weren't used for the debut album, at worst, easily could have been used for the Second Sighting album (what a disaster).

Ace would have a super box set of demos to release if he could take the time to do something about it.Maybe E-One could invest some time and money in this, surely it would be more profitable than any other solo release he has done with them?

You can't leave off Animal and Remember Me off his debut.

But I would certainly love someone busting Trunks balls about how bad Megaforce did with Ace!

I also want to know why the FULL HAMMERSMITH ODEON show has never been released.... all we got like 6 songs on VHS.
I want a Blu-Ray with the full show and also all the music videos he did.

Also I wish someone would release the full Ace Vision Volume 1 (and the full show...if it was longer than the 9 songs).

ObiWanFrehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ObiWanFrehley » Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pm

When and how did Ace get with Tod? Only a couple years and Richie was back

Admin
Gettin' Uppity

Post by Admin » Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Frehley's Comet would make a good book IMO. Lots of good stories, lots of good music, missed opportunities, spinal tap moments, and drama.

PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder » Sun May 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Admin wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm
Frehley's Comet would make a good book IMO. Lots of good stories, lots of good music, missed opportunities, spinal tap moments, and drama.
Sounds like your next project!

jestor92
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jestor92 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:05 pm

I don’t understand why Tod gets the blame for Second Sighting. If the band leader brought some songs that were decent to the recording sessions maybe half the album wouldn’t be Tod’s material.

As for the original Comet demos I wonder how much of that were Ace ideas and how much was written by other members of the band thus causing the record company and Ace to not want to use it due to publishing rights.

Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel » Sun May 24, 2020 4:20 pm

I said it a few years ago when that book about Paul's 1989 solo tour came out.

Ace's 1985 to 1995 club gigs would make a great (and possibly eyebrow raising) read.

Interviews with past band members, roadies, club owners, members of national/local opening bands, fans who saw the shows, etc...I'd buy a copy.

ObiWanFrehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ObiWanFrehley » Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 pm

I like Second Sighting, but it's more about my teenage years more than anything. Their debut, and the Words are not Enough song showed some real potential, but Second Sighting was a huge drop in quality.

Trouble Walkin is a very solid album though, possibly his best post '78.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Admin wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Yep... somebody should get JOHN REGAN to write one for sure. He'd have all the stories and probably the clearest memory

Ad in Feb 6 1988 issue of Billboard
image.png
image.png
image.png

Second Sighting Review Billboard 5-28 issue
image.png

Billboard 7-16
image.png
image.png

image.png
image.png

August 6 1988 Ace/Iron Maiden review
image.png

steve

Post by steve » Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 pm

I like Something Moved better than any of the Richie Scarlet material I've heard. Second Sighting is indeed patchy, and certainly not worth the six years it took me to find a copy, but without Tod's material they wouldn't been able to make that album.

The true secret weapon of Frehley's Comet? Mr. John Regan. It's such a shame Ace couldn't keep it or himself together and lead the band to become what it could have been. His best work, arguably in or out of KISS, remains the 78 solo record.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Tue May 26, 2020 9:32 am

steve wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 pm
I like Something Moved better than any of the Richie Scarlet material I've heard. Second Sighting is indeed patchy, and certainly not worth the six years it took me to find a copy, but without Tod's material they wouldn't been able to make that album.

The true secret weapon of Frehley's Comet? Mr. John Regan. It's such a shame Ace couldn't keep it or himself together and lead the band to become what it could have been. His best work, arguably in or out of KISS, remains the 78 solo record.
It would not have been a shame if SECOND SIGHTING was never released! The label should have rejected it.

And its not like Ace didn't have plenty of great songs that should have been on that album instead of any of Tod's puke material

battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by battra » Tue May 26, 2020 9:50 am

TheSphinx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:54 pm
It's ridiculous that it took the label that long to see it that way. Second SightingI was awful. It was a Tod solo album pretty much. They should have never approved that album. Ace had so many great songs in the can. But we got crap like a Dana Strum song etc. Ridiculous

What happened with the Iron Maiden tour? Did they still have alot of dates to go and had to just bail off the tour?

Trouble Walking was a good album. It was nice to see Ace got his balls back. I thought it was ridiculous that Ace had 2 covers on there. He didn't need Do Ya or Hide Your Heart.

And Remember Me is still one of my favorite Ace songs! I wish that would be played at the FINAL KISS show with Ace, Vinnie, Paul and Bruce all trading licks on the song during the encore! It would be a perfect way to end it!

If Ace had good songs in the can, why did we get crap like Insane, Dancing With Danger, etc.

As for Toddy boy...I really, REALLY, REALLY like It's Over Now.

turbodrive
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by turbodrive » Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 am

TheSphinx wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:32 am
steve wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 pm

It would not have been a shame if SECOND SIGHTING was never released! The label should have rejected it.

And its not like Ace didn't have plenty of great songs that should have been on that album instead of any of Tod's puke material
I really have to agree with this. Tod's a solid musician and I liked the material that he brought to the first Comet album. But...I still remember how disappointed I was, listening to Second Sighting. For me, out of all the albums KISS and related, that one's probably in the bottom five. As said above, a wasted opportunity and the record company shouldn't have released it. If it'd been Trouble Walkin' instead, things probably would've gone differently.

ankh
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ankh » Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am

the label pushed for a second record as well as the live ep,Ace didn't have Tunes for it,that's why Tod has so many songs.The record was weak and there was not enough money to promote it the right way."It's over now" could have had a better outcome with the right promotion.
Tod explained very well what was the reality behind the band .Regan did everything he could to proomote the Group and establish it as a great rock entity, but unfortunately things wetn from bad to worse.

I would have loved to hear the band with Billy Ward, but the chemistry wasn't right.Billy has become an excellent and well respected drummer.

Trunk was instrumental in gettin Ace signed to Megaforce.Ace idea for the cover of the first LP was to have the monkey that you see on the inner sleeve.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am

This version of "Breakout" kicks ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2qB6ymnD0

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 am

ankh wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am
the label pushed for a second record as well as the live ep,Ace didn't have Tunes for it,that's why Tod has so many songs.The record was weak and there was not enough money to promote it the right way."It's over now" could have had a better outcome with the right promotion.
Tod explained very well what was the reality behind the band .Regan did everything he could to proomote the Group and establish it as a great rock entity, but unfortunately things wetn from bad to worse.

I would have loved to hear the band with Billy Ward, but the chemistry wasn't right.Billy has become an excellent and well respected drummer.

Trunk was instrumental in gettin Ace signed to Megaforce.Ace idea for the cover of the first LP was to have the monkey that you see on the inner sleeve.

I didn't have a problem with the LIVE EP... although I wish it had included NY GROOVE, SHOCK ME or another Ace song instead of "Something Moved". And RIP IT OUT should have been released as a video/single.

But Second Sighting makes no sense when you go back and all the great demos Ace had already done. Whether it was ANIMAL, AUDIO VIDEO, REMEMBER ME etc... all that stuff BURIED what was on SECOND SIGHTING.

sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy » Tue May 26, 2020 10:30 pm

"Rock or be Rocked"

Richie>Tod

Elderguy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Elderguy » Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 am

I heard Ace was in severe alcoholism during the Second Sighting sessions. Yeah he had demos going back a few years but he had no interest in putting any effort in.