Erasing Eric Carr from KISStory.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Erasing Eric Carr from KISStory.

Post by steve » Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 pm

For the record, I would not wear a makeup era KISS shirt unless it had Eric's face on it. If I ever find that Creatures one RF posted above in Australia, I'll snap it up.

Liveshowz
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Liveshowz » Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 pm

not the first time !

Elderguy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Elderguy » Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 pm

That Dynasty of the Night one is more ineptitude I would say.

BadRonald
Banned
Banned

Post by BadRonald » Sat May 23, 2020 1:33 am

41Mets wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm
BadRonald wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm
TheSpoiler wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:26 am
Bandit1974 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am
Pete2174 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 am
Eric will never be erased from Kisstory as long as we the fans keep his memory alive & celebrate all he brought to the band.
And "love" conquers all, right?

You are refusing to accept or acknowledge the situation for what it really is, and are taking the easy way out.
In fairness, we don't actually know what the situation really is. All is speculation.
The Spoiler is right. Ultimately none of us ever know what any KISS situation is or ever was. We only know what we have been or are being told. In my opinion Eric Carr's situation is best handled this way since if Eric were brought to life on T-shirts and any other Carr era merchandise to much attention would be paid by fans mourning his loss during these merch rollouts so KISS Company goes instead with what looks like Carr phase out which so many less fans are likely to notice or read into negatively at least not for very long. Whereas attention being paid by fans mourning Eric's loss could bring evening news vigil reports with each Carr related merch rollout which would take away from all else.
Having Eric on shirts now would simply be honoring his memory.
I agree. But it could also ressurrect Eric possibly monopolizing the narrative into all things Caravello dead and alive. Too risky restoking the fires of yesteryear surrounding his death insurance P&G relationship termination the whole Eric Carr stromboli. Best to steer clear of any further Fox controversy especially at this end stage of the game and just use photoshop with respectful vigor bite the eraser and again turn the page.

Elderguy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Elderguy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 am

“Fox controversy”

Nellcote71
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Nellcote71 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 am

Admin wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm
Don't always think the worst.

Business is business, and not all decisions are what they may initially seem.
Understood fearless leader - however you can’t argue this particular scenario was handled very heavy handedly

41Mets

Post by 41Mets » Sat May 23, 2020 4:31 am

BadRonald wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:33 am
41Mets wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm
BadRonald wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm
TheSpoiler wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:26 am
Bandit1974 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am
Pete2174 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:03 am
Eric will never be erased from Kisstory as long as we the fans keep his memory alive & celebrate all he brought to the band.
And "love" conquers all, right?

You are refusing to accept or acknowledge the situation for what it really is, and are taking the easy way out.
In fairness, we don't actually know what the situation really is. All is speculation.
The Spoiler is right. Ultimately none of us ever know what any KISS situation is or ever was. We only know what we have been or are being told. In my opinion Eric Carr's situation is best handled this way since if Eric were brought to life on T-shirts and any other Carr era merchandise to much attention would be paid by fans mourning his loss during these merch rollouts so KISS Company goes instead with what looks like Carr phase out which so many less fans are likely to notice or read into negatively at least not for very long. Whereas attention being paid by fans mourning Eric's loss could bring evening news vigil reports with each Carr related merch rollout which would take away from all else.
Having Eric on shirts now would simply be honoring his memory.
I agree. But it could also ressurrect Eric possibly monopolizing the narrative into all things Caravello dead and alive. Too risky restoking the fires of yesteryear surrounding his death insurance P&G relationship termination the whole Eric Carr stromboli. Best to steer clear of any further Fox controversy especially at this end stage of the game and just use photoshop with respectful vigor bite the eraser and again turn the page.
It would only become an issue if anyone breaks any established legal agreements. Which won't happen. Nothing else significant is going to arise at this point

BC Witch
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BC Witch » Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am

Liveshowz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 pm
not the first time !

There is a difference. The shirt you've posted is using the band pics from the Dynasty cover and putting them in a Creatures context. The shirt I'm talking about literally has Eric Carr's face blacked out.

I understand the band wanting to promote the 'original 4' make up designs or even the current four members and hence they switch up and edit old photos to reflect that but this is the first time (as far as I'm aware) that they've just erased someone's face from a picture.

caligari
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by caligari » Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 am

...AND IT IS SUCH A SLOPPY DESIGN!

ANYONE WHO 👀 LOOKS 👀 AT SOMEONE WEARING THIS SHIRT
WHETHER THEY ARE A
“KISS FAN” - OR NOT

WILL SAY TO THE PERSON WEARING IT -
“WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS GUY HERE?
WHY DOES HE HAVE NO FACE?”

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

THUS AT LEAST DRAWING ATTENTION TO THE ODDITY
OR AT WORST
A WHOLE REHASH OF THE SAD ERIC CARR SAGA

aceeg
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by aceeg » Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am

That’s terrible he was a great asset .

KISSCOMPLETE
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by KISSCOMPLETE » Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 am

BC Witch wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 am
KISSCOMPLETE wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:15 am
BC Witch wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:59 am
*EDIT - I know this has come up in the other thread about the Unmasked 40th anniversary merch but I feel it deserves to be discussed in wider context in a separate thread (this one)...

Looking at the recently released Unmasked 40th anniversary merch I was shocked to see the t-shirt where Eric Carr has been erased from the image. I'm talking about this one:

https://shopkissonline.com/collections/ ... 80-t-shirt

It's based on this picture of the band with Eric on drums and features his original Fox makeup.

KISS Unmasked Palladium.jpeg

When they revived the Creatures Of The Night costumes a few years back they dressed Eric Singer up in the Fox costume but replaced the make up with that of the Cat. They're literally erasing Eric Carr from the band's history. He played a major part in KISS, from the huge Australian tour they undertook in 1980 to playing on most of their biggest hit singles. His contribution to the band was massive and now they're literally blacking him out of images he originally appeared in.

I find this deeply disturbing, not just as a fan of the band since 1980, but just on a human level. He died having left a wonderful mark on the world of rock and roll and now his band is making out like he wasn't there.
I think this is utterly baseless , made up bullshit , by those with very little to do with their time.
I didn't make it up. The shirt is for sale on the band's website. Have a look and then look at the reference picture I posted. Eric Carr's face has been erased from the image.
Pardon ? When did I say you made it up ? You DID make up your knee jerk reaction with out having one single shred of knowledge as to why though didnt you ? Nooo it HAS to be a conspiracy theory! Do you think they sat around at a conference table and were discussing " hmm well Paul , How do we get rid of Eric's being in the band ? I don't know Gene , we could release a t shirt , with his face blocked out ! Do you know how ludicrous that really is !?! Thanks .

BC Witch
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BC Witch » Sat May 23, 2020 11:54 am

KISSCOMPLETE wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 am
BC Witch wrote:
KISSCOMPLETE wrote:
BC Witch wrote:
*EDIT - I know this has come up in the other thread about the Unmasked 40th anniversary merch but I feel it deserves to be discussed in wider context in a separate thread (this one)...

Looking at the recently released Unmasked 40th anniversary merch I was shocked to see the t-shirt where Eric Carr has been erased from the image. I'm talking about this one:

It's based on this picture of the band with Eric on drums and features his original Fox makeup.

When they revived the Creatures Of The Night costumes a few years back they dressed Eric Singer up in the Fox costume but replaced the make up with that of the Cat. They're literally erasing Eric Carr from the band's history. He played a major part in KISS, from the huge Australian tour they undertook in 1980 to playing on most of their biggest hit singles. His contribution to the band was massive and now they're literally blacking him out of images he originally appeared in.

I find this deeply disturbing, not just as a fan of the band since 1980, but just on a human level. He died having left a wonderful mark on the world of rock and roll and now his band is making out like he wasn't there.
I think this is utterly baseless , made up bullshit , by those with very little to do with their time.
I didn't make it up. The shirt is for sale on the band's website. Have a look and then look at the reference picture I posted. Eric Carr's face has been erased from the image.
Pardon ? When did I say you made it up ? You DID make up your knee jerk reaction with out having one single shred of knowledge as to why though didnt you ? Nooo it HAS to be a conspiracy theory! Do you think they sat around at a conference table and were discussing " hmm well Paul , How do we get rid of Eric's being in the band ? I don't know Gene , we could release a t shirt , with his face blocked out ! Do you know how ludicrous that really is !?! Thanks .
I think you need to re-read my original post. Nothing I said in it is untrue. I'm not suggesting any kind of 'conspiracy theory' either, I'm pointing out the fact that Eric Carr appeared in a photograph (which is part of the band's history) and now, on this new t-shirt, they've blacked out his face from that image, i.e. made out like he wasn't there. I mean, that's obvious right? Look at the two images and you can plainly see that's what they've done. You accuse me of a 'knee jerk reaction without having one single shred of knowledge as to why...' but, again, if you read my original post, I never speculated as to why they've done what they've done and certainly didn't suggest it was part of some overall plot to 'get rid of Eric's being in the band'.

I respect that you may not think it's a big deal but I do.

Heartofchrome
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Heartofchrome » Sat May 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Could have been a cool shirt

shupey

Post by shupey » Sat May 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Sometimes they make poor choice with merchandise. Mixing make-up visuals with non-makeup songs/tours. Mixing line ups and albums. Hate that crap. They just should have picked a different image for the shirt.

BadRonald
Banned
Banned

Post by BadRonald » Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Elderguy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 am
“Fox controversy”
Yea I must admit that does kinda sound like something Nancy of 16 Magazine might say she had an official KISS inside scoop on.

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

The biggest problem with the shirt is the fact they've written Unmasked 80'

Why not Unmasked '80?

Shit!

Elderguy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Elderguy » Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 pm

Yeah I noticed that too.

firekiss
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by firekiss » Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 pm

They've erased Eric's face from this shirt. Why? I have no clue.

Is this a concerted effort to erase him from the bands history? No.

Heartofchrome

Post by Heartofchrome » Sun May 24, 2020 12:09 am

Bandit1974 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 am
Unfortunately, this type of nonsense isn't anything new.

Take, for example, the official music video for "Rock and Roll All Nite" that was released in 1987. I get that Paul and Gene were trying to sell the current version of KISS at the time, but you see Ace Frehley in the video about as much as you see Bruce Kulick. But how many times do you see Peter Criss - the actual drummer on this song - in the video?

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFMD7Usflbg
One

JamesKurker
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by JamesKurker » Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 am

ZachAttack wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 am
It's pretty simple - they don't own the rights to his makeup. It's the same reason the McFarlane figures used his Palladium makeup. I've actually talked to a guy at Figures Toy Company about this and he even confirmed it (I was asking if we'll ever get a Carr figure)
Soooo he literally said that KISS don’t have the rights to Eric’s make-up and we will never see his figure? :(

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 am

JamesKurker wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:44 am
ZachAttack wrote:
It's pretty simple - they don't own the rights to his makeup. It's the same reason the McFarlane figures used his Palladium makeup. I've actually talked to a guy at Figures Toy Company about this and he even confirmed it (I was asking if we'll ever get a Carr figure)
Soooo he literally said that KISS don’t have the rights to Eric’s make-up and we will never see his figure? :(
Guys, the makeup on Eric’s face was the Palladium design.
So why couldn’t they have used that one for the t-shirt?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:55 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:24 am
JamesKurker wrote:
ZachAttack wrote:
Guys, the makeup on Eric’s face was the Palladium design.
So why couldn’t they have used that one for the t-shirt?
Exactly. It's not a rights issue. It is simply about only promoting the 4 original characters.

BC Witch
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BC Witch » Sun May 24, 2020 5:21 am

firekiss wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Respectfully, I disagree. Eric Carr was a big part of the band's 'Unmasked' era, being featured in magazines and TV appearences as the newest member of KISS. He was the drummer on the Unmasked tour and the band are currently selling Unmasked 40th Anniversary branded merch. Most of the merch features the line up of Ace, Gene, Paul and Peter as per the album cover. No attempts to alter anyone's appearence or sneak Tommy and Eric Singer in there. Then we have that one t-shirt that is based on a photograph of the band featuring Eric Carr in the Fox make up and what do they do? Black out his face. As far as I'm aware there has never been another piece of offcial KISS merchandise where they've just blacked out a band member's face. They could easily have used another image if they wanted to keep it to the original 4 make up designs but they didn't. They used a photograph of Eric Carr and just removed him. Why they did this I have no idea but the end result is that the Unmasked 40th anniversary merch makes no reference to the fact that Eric Carr was the drummer for that tour and during that era. They've literally erased him from KISStory.

Now, is this part of a wider 'plot' to pretend he was never in the band? No because that would be impossible but I do believe the band are making a conscious decision to obscure his role in the make up era of the band so that they can sell more 'current brand' merchandise. I think that's in really bad taste.

KISSCOMPLETE
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by KISSCOMPLETE » Sun May 24, 2020 6:49 am

BC Witch wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:54 am
KISSCOMPLETE wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 am
BC Witch wrote:
KISSCOMPLETE wrote:
BC Witch wrote:

I think you need to re-read my original post. Nothing I said in it is untrue. I'm not suggesting any kind of 'conspiracy theory' either, I'm pointing out the fact that Eric Carr appeared in a photograph (which is part of the band's history) and now, on this new t-shirt, they've blacked out his face from that image, i.e. made out like he wasn't there. I mean, that's obvious right? Look at the two images and you can plainly see that's what they've done. You accuse me of a 'knee jerk reaction without having one single shred of knowledge as to why...' but, again, if you read my original post, I never speculated as to why they've done what they've done and certainly didn't suggest it was part of some overall plot to 'get rid of Eric's being in the band'.

I respect that you may not think it's a big deal but I do.
No offense , but I stand by what I said. I think your over-reacting in the extreme. Thanks .

ToddofThunder
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ToddofThunder » Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am

You were saying?

https://shopkissonline.com/products/cre ... 276e&_ss=r

That shirt is currently available from the official KISS Shop. I bought one last year and seeing this topic, I had to go back to see if it was still there. Apparently, there's no issue with KISS holding the rights to Eric's final makeup design. Let's calm down a little, people. Yes, it is obvious they are concentrating their merch on the more recognizable character designs, and who can blame them? It's smart business. And I love Eric Carr. But this is much ado about nothing.

BC Witch
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BC Witch » Sun May 24, 2020 10:44 am

ToddofThunder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am
You were saying?

https://shopkissonline.com/products/cre ... 276e&_ss=r

That shirt is currently available from the official KISS Shop. I bought one last year and seeing this topic, I had to go back to see if it was still there. Apparently, there's no issue with KISS holding the rights to Eric's final makeup design. Let's calm down a little, people. Yes, it is obvious they are concentrating their merch on the more recognizable character designs, and who can blame them? It's smart business. And I love Eric Carr. But this is much ado about nothing.
Hmmm, I have to disagree. The Unmasked shirt I mentioned is the first time as far as I'm aware that the band has actually blacked out a member's face from an image they were originally in. I think that's at very least noteworthy. I have no idea WHY they've done it but it smacks of bad judgement and bad taste to me.

firekiss
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by firekiss » Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm

BC Witch wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:21 am
firekiss wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 pm

Respectfully, I disagree. Eric Carr was a big part of the band's 'Unmasked' era, being featured in magazines and TV appearences as the newest member of KISS. He was the drummer on the Unmasked tour and the band are currently selling Unmasked 40th Anniversary branded merch. Most of the merch features the line up of Ace, Gene, Paul and Peter as per the album cover. No attempts to alter anyone's appearence or sneak Tommy and Eric Singer in there. Then we have that one t-shirt that is based on a photograph of the band featuring Eric Carr in the Fox make up and what do they do? Black out his face. As far as I'm aware there has never been another piece of offcial KISS merchandise where they've just blacked out a band member's face. They could easily have used another image if they wanted to keep it to the original 4 make up designs but they didn't. They used a photograph of Eric Carr and just removed him. Why they did this I have no idea but the end result is that the Unmasked 40th anniversary merch makes no reference to the fact that Eric Carr was the drummer for that tour and during that era. They've literally erased him from KISStory.

Now, is this part of a wider 'plot' to pretend he was never in the band? No because that would be impossible but I do believe the band are making a conscious decision to obscure his role in the make up era of the band so that they can sell more 'current brand' merchandise. I think that's in really bad taste.

I think, and of course, like the rest of us, I have no basis in fact, that it's simply that they wanted to use that image and knew they couldn't use the makeup of Eric on it. I really don't think it goes any deeper than that. I just don't think Gene and/or Paul put that much thought into their merchandise.

ObiWanFrehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ObiWanFrehley » Sun May 24, 2020 3:29 pm

IMO the Unmasked poster shirt is the best of the bunch anyway.

Four-Who-Are-One
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Four-Who-Are-One » Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm

firekiss wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm
I think, and of course, like the rest of us, I have no basis in fact, that it's simply that they wanted to use that image and knew they couldn't use the makeup of Eric on it. I really don't think it goes any deeper than that. I just don't think Gene and/or Paul put that much thought into their merchandise.

I tend to agree. It probably just seemed like a decent compromise at the time. It's probably only we hardcore fans who care.

(OTOH maybe it's meant to convey the "intrigue" around Peter's replacement!)

firekiss
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by firekiss » Sun May 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Four-Who-Are-One wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm
firekiss wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm

I tend to agree. It probably just seemed like a decent compromise at the time. It's probably only we hardcore fans who care.

(OTOH maybe it's meant to convey the "intrigue" around Peter's replacement!)
From what I recall, in Australia, at the time, there was never any playing around with images back then to create any mystique over Peters replacement.

BadRonald
Banned
Banned

Post by BadRonald » Sun May 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Here's the way I see it. Anton Fig was Unmasked drummer. Peter Criss appeared on cover poster insert and Shandi video. Eric Carr took Pete's place beginning with Palladium show then Australian European Tour. Ultimately I think what KISS is saying with 40 year anniversary with Unmasked is because three drummers comprised that era in reality KISS didn't really have representation of solidified drummer for that era therefore it could be said during Unmasked era we KISS had no drummer.

ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack » Sun May 24, 2020 6:12 pm

JamesKurker wrote:
ZachAttack wrote:
Here is the exact conversation I had:

"Are you guys ever going to do Creatures Of The Night figures?"

- "We wanted to but there's some kind of issue with the rights for Eric and Vinnie's makeup"

"Gene and Paul don't own those?"

- "No, apparently Vinnie does"

ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack » Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 pm

RisingForce wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:04 pm
ZachAttack wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:32 pm
RisingForce wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 am
It can't be a rights issue. They have released other shirts in recent years with Eric featured. Hell, you can get one at Hot Topic right now. The same image for this new shirt was used previously and Eric wasn't deleted. For some reason this was a deliberate erasing of him from the image.

The makeup design IS a rights issue but I believe now it's progressed into a situation where Eric's family doesn't want them to use his likeness period
This is currently available at Hot Topic.

This isn't the Creatures cover photo but an illustration, so it isn't like it's a photo they own. So they are allowed to use it here.
Yeah but it's clearly a rendering of the COTN cover which they own the rights to the photo. If I designed a shirt like this and didn't put the logo on there they could still sue me because it's too similar to the original photo. I've yet to see a single piece of recent Kiss merch with Eric's makeup (not the palladium design) that wasn't the COTN cover.

Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Velvis » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm

BC Witch wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm
Doose wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:05 pm
In all fairness, "Unmasked" was released with Peter still publicly in the band. I think that's all it is.

Eric has been featured front and center on the Creatures of the Night shirts.

Now Vinnie is another story. Vinnie has been totally erased from the "Creatures of the Night" tour shirt re-releases and replaced with Ace.
What bothers me is the fact that they used an image that Eric was clearly visible in and erased him from it. They could have easily done all this new Unmasked merch using only photos/designs of the band with Peter. To use an Eric Carr image and remove him from it leaving a visible blank is shocking.
Dude, take the drama down a few notches. Who gives a shit. If you want a shirt with Eric C. on it find one.
Do you really really think G&P had a big meeting about "erasing Eric Carr" from KISStory on this T-shirt? or much more likely someone created the shirt and before it was OK'd said "the shirts great but we don't own the fox makeup so its gotta go."

I feel like some fans are WAY more invested in silly things than the band members. G&P probably spent all of 2 minutes okaying the project and have completely forgot about it right after. It's even possible someone else okayed it.

The Good Dr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Good Dr » Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 pm

caligari

Post by caligari » Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm

The Good Dr wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 pm
KISSOLOGY - along with Eric’s face on Disc #5 of
“KISS: THE BOX SET” were released A LOOOOONG TIME AGO.
I’m sure any agreement with Eric’s family (& possibly Vinnie) has long expired.

The Good Dr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Good Dr » Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm

"I’m sure any agreement with Eric’s family (& possibly Vinnie) has long expired."

That's assuming there's ever been an agreement, or if there was, one that expired.
As has been pointed out, the use of Eric as The Fox on a COTN Tee is available from KISSOnline: https://shopkissonline.com/products/cre ... 9bcb&_ss=r
Seems odd any Agreement (expired or current) that permits this TEE to be sold today forbids the use of The Fox on Unmasked merch. And any notion that KISS has or had an Agreement with Vinnie for any merchandising rights seems way too far-fetched for me.

DeKiLaLoMa
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by DeKiLaLoMa » Sun May 24, 2020 11:23 pm

Velvis wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm
...Do you really really think G&P had a big meeting about "erasing Eric Carr" from KISStory on this T-shirt? or much more likely someone created the shirt and before it was OK'd said "the shirts great but we don't own the fox makeup so its gotta go."

I feel like some fans are WAY more invested in silly things than the band members. G&P probably spent all of 2 minutes okaying the project and have completely forgot about it right after. It's even possible someone else okayed it.
Word for word, the exact post I wanted to write a couple of days back. I completely agree.
The Good Dr wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm
"I’m sure any agreement with Eric’s family (& possibly Vinnie) has long expired."

That's assuming there's ever been an agreement, or if there was, one that expired.
As has been pointed out, the use of Eric as The Fox on a COTN Tee is available from KISSOnline: https://shopkissonline.com/products/cre ... 9bcb&_ss=r
Seems odd any Agreement (expired or current) that permits this TEE to be sold today forbids the use of The Fox on Unmasked merch. And any notion that KISS has or had an Agreement with Vinnie for any merchandising rights seems way too far-fetched for me.
There may be, though, an issue tied to the COTN cover being a piece of artwork created in 1982 versus a new piece of artwork created today. Just supposing.

px74

Post by px74 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:44 pm

Personally I don't like the shirt with a blacked out face. Not sure why either. If Gene and Paul were so obsessed with promoting the current lineup, the visage would be that of a cat

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 am

caligari wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm
The Good Dr wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 pm
KISSOLOGY - along with Eric’s face on Disc #5 of
“KISS: THE BOX SET” were released A LOOOOONG TIME AGO.
I’m sure any agreement with Eric’s family (& possibly Vinnie) has long expired.
But as I’ve said a few times in this topic, the Eric makeup in question was his one-off design that he wore at The Palladium show.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Good Dr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Good Dr » Mon May 25, 2020 2:22 am

Whichever way you look at it, be it an Agreement, lack there of, not wanting to pay royalties, the fact the drummer is blacked out and neither the Cat or Fox (either make-up version) is used is certainly perplexing.

BC Witch
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BC Witch » Mon May 25, 2020 3:03 am

Velvis wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm
BC Witch wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm
Doose wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:05 pm
In all fairness, "Unmasked" was released with Peter still publicly in the band. I think that's all it is.

Eric has been featured front and center on the Creatures of the Night shirts.

Now Vinnie is another story. Vinnie has been totally erased from the "Creatures of the Night" tour shirt re-releases and replaced with Ace.
What bothers me is the fact that they used an image that Eric was clearly visible in and erased him from it. They could have easily done all this new Unmasked merch using only photos/designs of the band with Peter. To use an Eric Carr image and remove him from it leaving a visible blank is shocking.
Dude, take the drama down a few notches. Who gives a shit. If you want a shirt with Eric C. on it find one.
Do you really really think G&P had a big meeting about "erasing Eric Carr" from KISStory on this T-shirt? or much more likely someone created the shirt and before it was OK'd said "the shirts great but we don't own the fox makeup so its gotta go."

I never said they had a 'big meeting'. I stated the fact that Eric Carr's face has been erased from a picture of the band that he was originally in. That's true. I also said that when they revived the costumes from Creatures of the Night they used his Fox costume but replaced his make up with that of 'The Cat', again erasing his visual presence from an era of the band's history he was part of. Also true. Personally I've never seen this happen before with KISS and whilst you don't think it's a big deal I do and, at very least, worth mentioning on KISSfaq which is, after all, a KISS discussion board.