Thrills In The Night appreciation post

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Thrills In The Night appreciation post

Post by gothunder » Fri May 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Watching Animalize Uncensored tonite, this song just came on and....... Always LOVED this tune. Smokin version from this show.

Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Thrills In The Night appreciation post

Post by Bruce » Fri May 15, 2020 10:36 pm

Epic performance!

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FjXmsDKfl4

steve

Post by steve » Fri May 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Great song. I would much rather this were the lead single from Animalize. Very 80s, and could have done great things for KISS back in the day.

I'd like to have heard many more collaborations between Paul and Jean Beauvoir. They were a good creative match that might even have eclipsed (gasp!) Vinnie given the chance.

belgiankissarmy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by belgiankissarmy » Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 pm

It's a great song, but the live version is too fast, like most of their 80s live versions.

Den Dennis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Den Dennis » Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 pm

Dig it :thumright:

gothunder

Post by gothunder » Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 am

belgiankissarmy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 pm
It's a great song, but the live version is too fast, like most of their 80s live versions.
Which is really fun(for a different vibe).

Tito
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Tito » Sat May 16, 2020 12:26 am

As a kid just getting into KISS this was my other favourite song ("Tears Are Falling" having been the one that got me started). I would rewind the tape and play it again and again.

Asylumize
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Asylumize » Sat May 16, 2020 4:57 am

It’s ok not my favorite- listen to the very Beginning of Nowhere to run and it’s basically the same riff as the Thrills in the Night chorus.

For my money ( you can’t be too soon- couldn’t resist ) I like Under the Gun better.

southernkiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by southernkiss » Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 am

It is indeed a good song. It is one of my favorites from Animalize. However, Heaven's on Fire was the better choice for a lead single IMO.

Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia » Sat May 16, 2020 5:02 am

Should have been a Top 10 hit!

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Sat May 16, 2020 5:30 am

Kisscandinavia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:02 am
Should have been a Top 10 hit!
Totally agree. Had this been recorded by one of the supposedly cooler bands of the day (Crue or Ratt) I think it could have been a big hit. It’s got a very memorable chorus and it’s that melodic rock style that was so popular then.

KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede » Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 am

steve wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:37 pm
Great song. I would much rather this were the lead single from Animalize. Very 80s, and could have done great things for KISS back in the day.

I'd like to have heard many more collaborations between Paul and Jean Beauvoir. They were a good creative match that might even have eclipsed (gasp!) Vinnie given the chance.
Yup.

Consider it among their 80's - top 5.

ypke
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by ypke » Sat May 16, 2020 5:52 am

The guitars on this one never appealed to me and it's my least likes Paul song on Animalize.

Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay » Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 am

Kinda burned out on it.

Still a terrific song, but I much prefer Burn Bitch Burn or While The City Sleeps, nowadays.

Jampottt
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Jampottt » Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 am

Great song. Always felt it should've been in a Higher Key. Chorus seems so low it's almost anticlimactic. Always forget it's on Animalize. Feels too good for the album.

67Kiss
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by 67Kiss » Sat May 16, 2020 8:51 am

To me it's OK for 80s Kiss but I'm an old guy 70s fan and most of the 80s stuff sounds dated when I listen to it now. I liked it more back then than I do now.

AceBishop
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by AceBishop » Sat May 16, 2020 9:35 am

Always loved Thrills in the Night. Some of Gene's 80ies stuff is beyond horrible, but Paul succeeded recording some timeless gems! Thrills is one of them.

LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:33 am

gothunder wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Watching Animalize Uncensored tonite, this song just came on and....... Always LOVED this tune. Smokin version from this show.
I have always loved it too....I wished it had been played more in tours after.

Hard to believe that the band wrote any good songs after Vinnie left isn't it? :roll: :lol:

BadRonald
Banned
Banned

Post by BadRonald » Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 am

steve wrote:

For starters Thrills in the Night is a strange song for few different reasons. But first it's common knowledge I've Had Enough Into the Fire is best song on Animalize and should've been a single way ahead of Thrills in the Night which again I say is strange song. Stanley/Beauvoir are friendly no doubt and tough to beat. How friendly doesn't matter to me. Whichever ways they go together or apart makes no difference to me. But I've always wondered what this song might actually be truly revealing due to this lyric.
All the people, tell me what would they say 
If they knew her, how she hides it away
Although Kiss has never been known for read between the lines speak if one were to do it with that lyric things could get interesting in a hurry. In other words I've always wondered if that lyric was Paul referring to himself as the woman secretly locked inside man's body when he sings All the people tell ME what would they say
In other words this song as Paul outting himself.

I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK » Sat May 16, 2020 10:55 am

I love it

WinnieWincent
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by WinnieWincent » Sat May 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Should've kept this in the set! I could say that for most of the 80's songs though

L1
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by L1 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:56 pm

I've always been a huge fan of this song!

JohnBergless
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by JohnBergless » Sat May 16, 2020 5:10 pm

The drum track is pretty cool. Possibly one of my all time KISS favorites actually.

Jordvan123
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Jordvan123 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:34 pm

One of my all time favorite KISS songs and easily my favorite of the 80's without question. Love the video too!

Mr. Kiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Mr. Kiss » Sat May 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Good song. If nothing else, it was a sign of the times. It was a great time being a young music fan. :|

Forevertj

Post by Forevertj » Sat May 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Number three on my favorite Kiss song list.

1. Love Gun
2. Only You
3. Thrills in the Night.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Sat May 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Jampottt wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 am
Great song. Always felt it should've been in a Higher Key. Chorus seems so low it's almost anticlimactic. Always forget it's on Animalize. Feels too good for the album.
I actually love it in the key it’s in because it stands out from a lot of other songs from the era. It’s more moody and atmospheric than a lot of the other soft rock stuff from that time.

Hotter Than Heck
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Hotter Than Heck » Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am

For Animalize it seemed like they tried to follow Lick It Up's template & have a melodic rocker as the second song on side two. I was all for it. I like A Million to One but I like Thrills in the Night even more. As a horny kid just entering his teens at the time, I loved the lyrics, some office working woman with a libido the size of Texas. My only regret is we never got to see the video they shot with the guys in the band as office workers with the woman in the song. I imagine the cheesy results of the original would have been stellar & terrible & entertaining as hell but oh well, the video we ended up with is pretty killer

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o9A0kRIi7Q

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sun May 17, 2020 8:10 am

steve wrote:

Maybe if they had ditched Desmond in the writing process. Because they also came up with dreck like "Who Wants To Be Lonely" and "Uh All Night". One of the reasons Asylum sold so bad. Even though they wasted all that money on 3 expensive videos. It still didn't sell.

But I've always said how much I enjoyed "Thrills In The Night". One of the few good tracks on Animalize.

And it's still beyond me that we never got to see the CONCEPT VIDEO they shot for the song! That should have been included on eXposed or one of the releases.

kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace » Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am

Great song

StrangestWay
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by StrangestWay » Sun May 17, 2020 9:38 am

Great song, prefer the studio version, and I don't mind too much that they played everything fast on the Animalize tour. They had a newfound hunger and energy...and it mirrors the times. Passion taking over!

Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons » Sun May 17, 2020 2:11 pm

TheSphinx wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:10 am
steve wrote:

Maybe if they had ditched Desmond in the writing process. Because they also came up with dreck like "Who Wants To Be Lonely" and "Uh All Night". One of the reasons Asylum sold so bad. Even though they wasted all that money on 3 expensive videos. It still didn't sell.

But I've always said how much I enjoyed "Thrills In The Night". One of the few good tracks on Animalize.

And it's still beyond me that we never got to see the CONCEPT VIDEO they shot for the song! That should have been included on eXposed or one of the releases.
Someone said in the thread Thrills in the Night has a LIU feel to it... I agree... Its a really good tune and sounds like something Paul and Vinnie could have written together..
So keep Sir Vinnie in the band post '84 and if an outside writer like Jean Beauvoir can bring in a good idea; use it. win/win! There can never be enough good songs to go around. KISS could have been in a great position from '84, '85 onwards.

Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus » Sun May 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Hotter Than Heck wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am
For Animalize it seemed like they tried to follow Lick It Up's template & have a melodic rocker as the second song on side two. I was all for it. I like A Million to One but I like Thrills in the Night even more. As a horny kid just entering his teens at the time, I loved the lyrics, some office working woman with a libido the size of Texas. My only regret is we never got to see the video they shot with the guys in the band as office workers with the woman in the song. I imagine the cheesy results of the original would have been stellar & terrible & entertaining as hell but oh well, the video we ended up with is pretty killer

This could be edited with Striptease scenes....the Demi Moore film of a secretary by day , stripper by night.

Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus » Sun May 17, 2020 2:49 pm

BadRonald wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 am
steve wrote:

For starters Thrills in the Night is a strange song for few different reasons. But first it's common knowledge I've Had Enough Into the Fire is best song on Animalize and should've been a single way ahead of Thrills in the Night which again I say is strange song. Stanley/Beauvoir are friendly no doubt and tough to beat. How friendly doesn't matter to me. Whichever ways they go together or apart makes no difference to me. But I've always wondered what this song might actually be truly revealing due to this lyric.
Although Kiss has never been known for read between the lines speak if one were to do it with that lyric things could get interesting in a hurry. In other words I've always wondered if that lyric was Paul referring to himself as the woman secretly locked inside man's body when he sings All the people tell ME what would they say
I reject your hypothesis

BadRonald
Banned
Banned

Post by BadRonald » Sun May 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Red_Walrus wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:41 pm
Hotter Than Heck wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am

This could be edited with Striptease scenes....the Demi Moore film of a secretary by day , stripper by night.
I reject your GI Jane idea. What makes you think any part of Thrills in the Night describes stripper. You do know if you know how to ask for it strippers perform more than just lap dances at these strip clubs right. You do know their prostitution extends outside the club too right. Well now that you do know what would ever make you think Paul is singing about a stripper. You think Paul knows strippers or prostitutes that love their jobs or something. No he probably doesn't. If Paul did then there wouldn't be a woman that nobody sees living inside passion taking over no one really knowing her.

gappvembe

Post by gappvembe » Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 am

I got into a car accident with this song. A 93-old guy pulled right out and T-boned me. I think he lost his license after that.

BadRonald
Banned
Banned

Post by BadRonald » Wed May 20, 2020 4:55 pm

gappvembe wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 am
I got into a car accident with this song. A 93-old guy pulled right out and T-boned me. I think he lost his license after that.
Hey Meathead sounds like it was you who T-boned the ol' man probably while Tweeting again about your #1 Def Lep's another hit & run. The ol' fart didn't stand a chance did he. Thank god you have fast reflexes like Spiccoli killing Forrest's Trans Am. You must feel real proud Grandpa lost his license having caused your heavily skidmarked #2 winding up in nearest garbage can. Approaching George Burns dust in the wind age though it really makes no difference who T-boned who does it Axl.

gappvembe

Post by gappvembe » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am

BadRonald wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:55 pm
gappvembe wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 am
Hey Meathead sounds like it was you who T-boned the ol' man probably while Tweeting again about your #1 Def Lep's another hit & run. The ol' fart didn't stand a chance did he. Thank god you have fast reflexes like Spiccoli killing Forrest's Trans Am. You must feel real proud Grandpa lost his license having caused your heavily skidmarked #2 winding up in nearest garbage can. Approaching George Burns dust in the wind age though it really makes no difference who T-boned who does it Axl.

:scratch: I'm not quite sure what you mean.

This was probably in 2002ish.. so no twitter.

jkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by jkiss » Thu May 21, 2020 8:32 am

Red_Walrus wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:49 pm
BadRonald wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 am
steve wrote:

I reject your hypothesis
Yes, that's what I thought, too. It was really Paul sneaking around town dressed-up as a woman, etc (the woman trapped inside a man). I don't like the music video for it, either ...Paul is going totally overboard; especially, during his close-up segments.

Nonetheless, a good sounding song overall, but it needed a strong concept video to get it to hit on MTV.

:scratch:

betoch
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by betoch » Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 am

Being a Spanish speaker, this was one of the first songs I tried to translate to my mother tongue, with uneven results :) . I don't need to say that I love the song and, like many Kiss songs, had it been performed by someone else, this would have been a hit (I'm looking at you Bon Jovi!)

ManOf1000Faces
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ManOf1000Faces » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

Favorite song off Animalize and the only track that sounds like a natural evolution from the Lick It Up album, besides "Get All You Can Take" which sounds a little shrill.

Tallbear13
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Tallbear13 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Good song off Animalize cool video

B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik » Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 am

I never liked the fact that Paul had Eric use a tom instead of the snare for the 2 & 4 beats on the studio version. Live, Eric used the snare and that sounded much better.

So I used Sound Forge and copy/pasted snare beats in where they should have been...

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SI8BJ-BnUI

stutterer

Post by stutterer » Sat May 23, 2020 11:55 am

I always skipped this song but hey, it's pretty good. I like these weird verses 80s Kiss did.

PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder » Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Great song.