Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Post Reply
User avatar
Doose
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2188
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Doose » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 am

Pollstar cover story on KISS.

Best Takeaways:

1. KISS averages $60-80 a head in merchandise at each show. Meaning if they have 10,000 people, they gross $600-800,000 in merchandise.

2. The stage looked SO much better with 17 pods above the stage.

Good article.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/47-yea ... end-143609

Image
Image

User avatar
AJrox
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by AJrox » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:31 am

Thanks for posting, I'm going to read this when I'm free a little later tonight. Also, those pics really make me sad the number of pods have been reduced :(

User avatar
FlamingRuth
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:50 am

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by FlamingRuth » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 am

$60-80 a head in merch .....wow.
I guess that’s accurate considering they had $75 shirts at the show I saw last winter.

User avatar
necronomicon
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7328
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:24 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by necronomicon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am

10,000 shows? Um, no.

User avatar
SaintN'Sinner83
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19599
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Outta This World...while Inside the Vortex.

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:06 am

Doose wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 am

2. The stage looked SO much better with 17 pods above the stage.
I very much agree.

Whenever KISS hits on something awesome, they always have to dial it back a bit.

User avatar
bassmansteiny
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 am

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by bassmansteiny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:22 am

The number of pods are not a make or break deal for me. However, I agree looks better with 17 instead of the current number.

User avatar
Wichita77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Wichita77 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:45 am

Good article. It was nice to get some extra background info on merch and the technical aspects of putting on this show.

I had to laugh at Gene's comment about Mount Rushmore. I got it right, but I had to think about it for a second... :)

I'll miss this when it is over. Regardless of what happens next... a residency, a traveling Broadway show, Kiss 2.0... all things end eventually, except for the memories.

User avatar
metaldad
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14207
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Rockin in the USA

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by metaldad » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am

Why are people upset over the amount of pods ?
I think the show looks cleaner now
17 head shots of Gene looked silly during the Blood spitting

User avatar
kissvids
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:06 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by kissvids » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:42 am

Have the number of pods been permanently scaled down? I honestly haven't paid attention...I saw the fourth show of this tour over a year ago....it's weird even saying that.
Some venues may not have enough fly points in the ceiling for as much stuff as KISS has...the venue I saw them at had just been upgraded about a year before. I am curious if perhaps the venues on more recent shows just don't have the infrastructure to handle the full show. You occasionally will see venues that cannot handle Pauls flying rig for instance.

There is also the possibility that they break easily and are difficult to repair. I have worked as a stage hand, and that gear gets quite a bit of abuse. Usually you will have a local crew do the heavy lifting supervised by the actual road crew. For instance, those LED panels used for the screens hook together like Legos, but they attach to each other via electrical contact points. So you have one guy who knows how to do it properly....directing a handful of novices....things get buggered up. With unusual stage pieces like those pods, its very possible they just ended up damaging some of them....it wouldn't surprise me if they have them stashed somewhere in case of a need for parts.

User avatar
Doose
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2188
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Doose » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:53 am

I think logistically it was quicker and easier to transport, load, set up and unload 11 pods instead of 17. But the 17
Pods definitely made the stage look bigger and grander. I don’t think anyone is upset about it - they’re just observations about how it made the stage look much better.

User avatar
TheSpoiler
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by TheSpoiler » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am

metaldad wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am
Why are people upset over the amount of pods ?
I think the show looks cleaner now
17 head shots of Gene looked silly during the Blood spitting
Yep, when they had the 17, there were comments that it was overkill, and that the stage looked cluttered. Now, of course....

User avatar
metaldad
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14207
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Rockin in the USA

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by metaldad » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:03 am

TheSpoiler wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am
metaldad wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am
Why are people upset over the amount of pods ?
I think the show looks cleaner now
17 head shots of Gene looked silly during the Blood spitting
Yep, when they had the 17, there were comments that it was overkill, and that the stage looked cluttered. Now, of course....
😀
Got ya

User avatar
Crown Royal
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 13158
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Crown Royal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:20 am

TheSpoiler wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am
metaldad wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am
Why are people upset over the amount of pods ?
I think the show looks cleaner now
17 head shots of Gene looked silly during the Blood spitting
Yep, when they had the 17, there were comments that it was overkill, and that the stage looked cluttered. Now, of course....
Image

User avatar
TheSpoiler
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by TheSpoiler » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 am

Crown Royal wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:20 am
TheSpoiler wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:00 am
metaldad wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am
Why are people upset over the amount of pods ?
I think the show looks cleaner now
17 head shots of Gene looked silly during the Blood spitting
Yep, when they had the 17, there were comments that it was overkill, and that the stage looked cluttered. Now, of course....
Image
...and suddenly it's Groundhog Day again. :lol:

User avatar
TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6538
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by TheSphinx » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Doose wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 am
Pollstar cover story on KISS.

Best Takeaways:

1. KISS averages $60-80 a head in merchandise at each show. Meaning if they have 10,000 people, they gross $600-800,000 in merchandise.

This is why everyone calls you the King Of Fake News! What a blatant lie!!


In Actuality....

Merchandise sales helps offset some of that cost. Furano says some shows average per-head sales up to $60 to $80, compared with a typical per head of $7 to $10 for a concert by mere mortals. Another popular merch item is the collectible lithograph poster, and KISS-branded tote bags to carry all that bounty home from the show.



Talk about BOGUS PR speak. A few shows out of the 100+ shows have had merchandise sales $60-$80. For the vast majority of them.... they've been nowhere near that! But we'll put out HIGHLY INFLATED numbers from a couple of show..... so we can DECEIVE people.

And you can bet the handful of shows that did $60-$80... they included everything and the kitchen sink. Paul's guitar sales etc. Gene's bass sales, sword sales you name it. Anything they could throw in. They threw it. I wouldn't put it past them throwing 1st and 2nd row ticket sales as well.

But the FACT IS... EOTR is not AVERAGING anywhere near $60-$80 a night!!
Last edited by TheSphinx on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Doose
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2188
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Doose » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm

TheSphinx wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:25 pm
Doose wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 am
Pollstar cover story on KISS.

Best Takeaways:

1. KISS averages $60-80 a head in merchandise at each show. Meaning if they have 10,000 people, they gross $600-800,000 in merchandise.

This is why everyone calls you the King Of Fake News! What a blatant lie!!


In Actuality....

Merchandise sales helps offset some of that cost. Furano says some shows average per-head sales up to $60 to $80, compared with a typical per head of $7 to $10 for a concert by mere mortals. Another popular merch item is the collectible lithograph poster, and KISS-branded tote bags to carry all that bounty home from the show.



Talk about BOGUS PR speak. A few shows out of the 100+ shows have had merchandise sales $60-$80. For the vast majority of them.... they've been nowhere near that! But we'll put out HIGHLY INFLATED numbers from a couple of show..... so we can DECEIVE people.

And you can bet the handful of shows that did $60-$80... they included everything and the kitchen sink. Paul's guitar sales etc. Gene's bass sales, sword sales you name it. Anything they could throw in. They threw it. I wouldn't put it past them throwing 1st and 2nd row ticket sales as well.

But the FACT IS... EOTR is not AVERAGING anywhere near $60-$80 a night!!
Dude, what are you so angry about? Be mad at Furano if you don't believe what he said. I was just saying it was an interesting takeaway from the article.

You really are angry, though. It's weird.

But OBVIOUSLY you are in the inner sanctum of KISS management if you can speak so vehemently and passionately that Furano's numbers are completely false. Please let us know what the accurate numbers are.

User avatar
TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6538
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by TheSphinx » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Doose wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm
TheSphinx wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:25 pm
Doose wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 am
Pollstar cover story on KISS.

Best Takeaways:

1. KISS averages $60-80 a head in merchandise at each show. Meaning if they have 10,000 people, they gross $600-800,000 in merchandise.

This is why everyone calls you the King Of Fake News! What a blatant lie!!


In Actuality....

Merchandise sales helps offset some of that cost. Furano says some shows average per-head sales up to $60 to $80, compared with a typical per head of $7 to $10 for a concert by mere mortals. Another popular merch item is the collectible lithograph poster, and KISS-branded tote bags to carry all that bounty home from the show.



Talk about BOGUS PR speak. A few shows out of the 100+ shows have had merchandise sales $60-$80. For the vast majority of them.... they've been nowhere near that! But we'll put out HIGHLY INFLATED numbers from a couple of show..... so we can DECEIVE people.

And you can bet the handful of shows that did $60-$80... they included everything and the kitchen sink. Paul's guitar sales etc. Gene's bass sales, sword sales you name it. Anything they could throw in. They threw it. I wouldn't put it past them throwing 1st and 2nd row ticket sales as well.

But the FACT IS... EOTR is not AVERAGING anywhere near $60-$80 a night!!
Dude, what are you so angry about? Be mad at Furano if you don't believe what he said. I was just saying it was an interesting takeaway from the article.

You really are angry, though. It's weird.

But OBVIOUSLY you are in the inner sanctum of KISS management if you can speak so vehemently and passionately that Furano's numbers are completely false. Please let us know what the accurate numbers are.


Why be upset with him for giving PR speak? That's his job!

Are you the one who took "SOME SHOWS".... and changed that to the FLAT OUT LIE of:

1. KISS averages $60-80 a head in merchandise at each show.- Dooch's claims



Of course that wasn't what he said at all. And if there is a REAL AVG for the tour... it ain't some damn HUGE ASS RANGE. The avg would be a SET AMOUNT!!!


But you wanted to go push the HUGE LIE that KISS is averaging $60-$80 AT EACH SHOW!!!!!!

Thats because you are the KING OF FAKE NEWS!

User avatar
TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6538
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by TheSphinx » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:40 pm

FlamingRuth wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 am
$60-80 a head in merch .....wow.
Only at "some shows". That ain't close to the average! That' is someone spewing #FakeNews

User avatar
Much Too Soon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Much Too Soon » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm

90CD7966-6F61-4B38-B1B3-1FBB826BD420.jpeg
Who is the guy on singers drum kit?
What is he holding?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
metaldad
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14207
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Rockin in the USA

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by metaldad » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:03 pm

We might truly never know how much money Kiss is making from merch on this tour but we do know 1 thing
Whatever they are making Vince would kill to be doing the same
Just once

User avatar
Much Too Soon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Much Too Soon » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 pm

TheSphinx wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:40 pm
FlamingRuth wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:22 am
$60-80 a head in merch .....wow.
Only at "some shows". That ain't close to the average! That' is someone spewing #FakeNews
Doose has been pretty consistent on being close to spot on many things.

User avatar
atowntommy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by atowntommy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:49 pm

My favorite takeaway? 13,000 lbs of pyro in 2019. Yeah. Fire! Fire! Explosions! Lasers! Fire! /Beavis Voice

User avatar
Tallbear13
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:38 pm
Location: Catawba NC

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Tallbear13 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:19 pm

The pods will be everlasting topic till the end of the tour

User avatar
Crown Royal
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 13158
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Pollstar Cover Story on KISS EOTR Tour

Post by Crown Royal » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Tallbear13 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:19 pm
The pods will be everlasting topic till the end of the tour
When you base your stage around them, yes, they will be. And, when you base your stage around them then suddenly decide to scale them back then, yes, they will be even more.

Post Reply