Everybody Knows....

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Post Reply
User avatar
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 16133
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 am
Location: The Kiss Garage

Everybody Knows....

Post by gothunder » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am

FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am

To me, the best version is the more uptempo one on Gene’s box set with the drums coming in and out of the first verse.
It’s so different and unique for a KISS/Gene tune but sounds fantastic.

User avatar
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 16133
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 am
Location: The Kiss Garage

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by gothunder » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am
The best version is on Gene’s box set with the drums coming in and out of the first verse.
It’s so different and unique for a KISS/Gene tune but sounds fantastic.
Yes! was listening tonight.

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:06 am

gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am
The best version is on Gene’s box set with the drums coming in and out of the first verse.
It’s so different and unique for a KISS/Gene tune but sounds fantastic.
Yes! was listening tonight.
I edited my response a bit because after listening to the original on YouTube just now I realized it was a bit more of a power ballad. The vault version is more intense and sounds more like a CARNIVAL OF SOULS era song.

User avatar
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 16133
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 am
Location: The Kiss Garage

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by gothunder » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:56 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:06 am
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 am
The best version is on Gene’s box set with the drums coming in and out of the first verse.
It’s so different and unique for a KISS/Gene tune but sounds fantastic.
Yes! was listening tonight.
I edited my response a bit because after listening to the original on YouTube just now I realized it was a bit more of a power ballad. The vault version is more intense and sounds more like a CARNIVAL OF SOULS era song.
Was truing to think of what album it would have fit best on.

User avatar
K.N.F.
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Finland

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by K.N.F. » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:05 am

Fantastic verses, chorus is a bit lame. Overall, a fine song.

User avatar
Fauxlex
Banned
Banned
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:58 am

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Fauxlex » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 am

Everybody Knows was promising until Gene repeats singing song title ad nauseum throughout. Soon after song starts only lyrics sung are Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knowwwooowooows Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knoooowooowwooos Everybody Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 am

Fauxlex wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 am
Everybody Knows was promising until Gene repeats singing song title ad nauseum throughout. Soon after song starts only lyrics sung are Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knowwwooowooows Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knoooowooowwooos Everybody Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos
I get what you’re saying but that’s KISS’ approach a lot of the time. Rock N Roll All Nite, C’mon And Love Me, Shout It Out Loud, Love Gun, I Want You, Do You Love Me, Lick It Up, Crazy Nights, Unholy, Say Yeah and dozens of others are all similar. Those types of choruses are often the catchiest ones.

User avatar
missingdiver
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4519
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:40 pm
Location: 10 East 23rd Street

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by missingdiver » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 am

Love it! I always wished it had been on Psycho Corcus....it could have brought a little darkness/demon vibe to the record and the 12 string guitars have a classic/rock bottom vibe which could have been a nod to the past.

Killer song!

User avatar
69th_B1izard
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Location: Gotham City

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by 69th_B1izard » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:03 am

Should have been on a KISS album...

User avatar
Mackemkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mackemkiss » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:07 am


User avatar
Andy Capp
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2634
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 pm
Location: Taste The Oven Baked Crunch!

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Andy Capp » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:11 am

good song--

User avatar
KIDGEO3
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4001
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am
Location: NEW JERSEY

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by KIDGEO3 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am

Is there a different version than what is on Asshole?

User avatar
AnthonyTyler
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1251
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by AnthonyTyler » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:10 pm

... and here I was wondering to myself, "Why are they talking about a great Cheap Trick song?"

Duh me.

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:06 pm

KIDGEO3 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am
Is there a different version than what is on Asshole?
Yep from Gene’s Vault. I haven’t looked at the track listing in a while but I think there’s 2 alternate versions. The one I like best has far more intensity to it than the ASSHOLE version.

User avatar
Fauxlex
Banned
Banned
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:58 am

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Fauxlex » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 am
Fauxlex wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 am
Everybody Knows was promising until Gene repeats singing song title ad nauseum throughout. Soon after song starts only lyrics sung are Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knowwwooowooows Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knoooowooowwooos Everybody Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos
I get what you’re saying but that’s KISS’ approach a lot of the time. Rock N Roll All Nite, C’mon And Love Me, Shout It Out Loud, Love Gun, I Want You, Do You Love Me, Lick It Up, Crazy Nights, Unholy, Say Yeah and dozens of others are all similar. Those types of choruses are often the catchiest ones.
Come to think of it twas probably turned off by the Kiss approach on that one. That please don't sensing then getting giving up safe fade formula. At least it wasn't another Within or Burn Bitch Burn. Grade B-

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Fauxlex wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:59 pm
Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 am
Fauxlex wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 am
Everybody Knows was promising until Gene repeats singing song title ad nauseum throughout. Soon after song starts only lyrics sung are Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knowwwooowooows Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knoooowooowwooos Everybody Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos
I get what you’re saying but that’s KISS’ approach a lot of the time. Rock N Roll All Nite, C’mon And Love Me, Shout It Out Loud, Love Gun, I Want You, Do You Love Me, Lick It Up, Crazy Nights, Unholy, Say Yeah and dozens of others are all similar. Those types of choruses are often the catchiest ones.
Come to think of it twas probably turned off by the Kiss approach on that one. That please don't sensing then getting giving up safe fade formula. At least it wasn't another Within or Burn Bitch Burn. Grade B-
Either that or he just couldn’t think of anything that rhymes with Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos! :lol:

kenn.ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3448
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by kenn.ace » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm

gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am

kenn.ace wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.
Have you heard his vault? In my opinion many of the songs on there should have been on albums instead of what was actually chosen.

User avatar
69th_B1izard
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Location: Gotham City

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by 69th_B1izard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am
kenn.ace wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.
Have you heard his vault? In my opinion many of the songs on there should have been on albums instead of what was actually chosen.
Gene’s good songs denied by Paul in the 80’s.

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am

69th_B1izard wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am
kenn.ace wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.
Have you heard his vault? In my opinion many of the songs on there should have been on albums instead of what was actually chosen.
Gene’s good songs denied by Paul in the 80’s.
I’ve heard you say that on the FAQ podcast before but it’s hard to imagine Paul literally sabotaging KISS albums. I’m not convinced that was the case. There were other producers on some of those albums that would have had a say in things.

User avatar
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8793
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by banks » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:13 am

Is Gene credited as the only writer in the Vault? I think he is on the Asshole CD, but I've heard that he co-wrote it with someone. A great song and Gene probably had nothing to do with it.

User avatar
KIDGEO3
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4001
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am
Location: NEW JERSEY

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by KIDGEO3 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 am

I would love to hear the Vault version

User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Spiritual_Chaos » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:32 am

... the dice are loaded. Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed

User avatar
HOFCity
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4777
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Westerville, OH
Contact:

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by HOFCity » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 am

Never heard it

User avatar
69th_B1izard
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2076
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Location: Gotham City

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by 69th_B1izard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:38 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
69th_B1izard wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am
kenn.ace wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.
Have you heard his vault? In my opinion many of the songs on there should have been on albums instead of what was actually chosen.
Gene’s good songs denied by Paul in the 80’s.
I’ve heard you say that on the FAQ podcast before but it’s hard to imagine Paul literally sabotaging KISS albums. I’m not convinced that was the case. There were other producers on some of those albums that would have had a say in things.
Paul was pretty pissed that gene’s focus wasn’t only on KISS back in the 80’s. So you never know...

User avatar
HOFCity
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4777
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Westerville, OH
Contact:

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by HOFCity » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 am

69th_B1izard wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:38 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
69th_B1izard wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:16 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am
kenn.ace wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.
Have you heard his vault? In my opinion many of the songs on there should have been on albums instead of what was actually chosen.
Gene’s good songs denied by Paul in the 80’s.
I’ve heard you say that on the FAQ podcast before but it’s hard to imagine Paul literally sabotaging KISS albums. I’m not convinced that was the case. There were other producers on some of those albums that would have had a say in things.
Paul was pretty pissed that gene’s focus wasn’t only on KISS back in the 80’s. So you never know...
........everybody knows.

User avatar
HOFCity
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4777
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Westerville, OH
Contact:

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by HOFCity » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:52 am

Probably a shit song anyway. Sure I'm not missing anything.

User avatar
Andy Capp
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2634
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 pm
Location: Taste The Oven Baked Crunch!

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Andy Capp » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:01 pm

KIDGEO3 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 am
I would love to hear the Vault version
as well good buddy--

kenn.ace
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3448
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by kenn.ace » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:03 pm

Mr Slow wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:06 am
kenn.ace wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 pm
gothunder wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am
FANTASTIC tune, yes? Makes ya want to see along.
I would say just another terrible Gene song like 95% of his songs since 1977 not written with Bryan Adams and Vinnie Vincent.
Have you heard his vault? In my opinion many of the songs on there should have been on albums instead of what was actually chosen.
I have not heard anything from the vault. I could afford it, but really could not justify spending 2000.00 for a vault. With Gene's track record of what I had heard from 1977 on and totally hating both of his solo albums, I did not really have any interest in hearing Gene songs that did not even make the KISS records. Maybe they are good, but I did not want to end up with another 150 Gene songs I did not like and have to pay 2000.00 to find that out.

With KISS records, there was usually at least 4 to 5 Paul songs I would like. So I kept buying them for the Paul songs, except Creatures and Asylum that only had 1 Paul song I liked..
Last edited by kenn.ace on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm
Fauxlex wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:59 pm
Mr Slow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:26 am
Fauxlex wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 am
Everybody Knows was promising until Gene repeats singing song title ad nauseum throughout. Soon after song starts only lyrics sung are Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knowwwooowooows Everybody Knowwwwss Everybody Knoooowooowwooos Everybody Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos
I get what you’re saying but that’s KISS’ approach a lot of the time. Rock N Roll All Nite, C’mon And Love Me, Shout It Out Loud, Love Gun, I Want You, Do You Love Me, Lick It Up, Crazy Nights, Unholy, Say Yeah and dozens of others are all similar. Those types of choruses are often the catchiest ones.
Come to think of it twas probably turned off by the Kiss approach on that one. That please don't sensing then getting giving up safe fade formula. At least it wasn't another Within or Burn Bitch Burn. Grade B-
Either that or he just couldn’t think of anything that rhymes with Knooooooooowwwwwwwooooos! :lol:
I decided to revisit this song and realised that the Vault version features Gene singing over the top of the “Everybody knows “ section. So it removes that repetition factor. It really is a great song. 8)

User avatar
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5830
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Everybody Knows....

Post by Mr Slow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:07 pm

HOFCity wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:52 am
Probably a shit song anyway. Sure I'm not missing anything.
Did you kick the ground when you wrote that? :lol:

Post Reply