Vegas Residency

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Doose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Vegas Residency

Post by Doose »

I just saw that the Scorpions are returning to Vegas this year for a 9-date residency with Queensryche opening. Aerosmith has been crazy successful with their residency too. I saw KISS when they did their residency at the Hard Rock back in 2014 (I believe). It seems like it would have been an easy buck for them to do more residencies (no travel, near LA, same show over and over, etc.). I've always thought that maybe the residency didn't perform well financially, and there isn't a market for them to do it again in Las Vegas. It's the only logical reason I can think that they wouldn't do it.

Related but not related, the EOTR Tour should have been a tight 18 months and wrapped in July 2020, not 2021. I think this year they're going to struggle on numbers, which I'd hate to see after such a wildly successful 2019.

DOUBLE DYNASTY
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Vegas Residency

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

Doose wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 am
I just saw that the Scorpions are returning to Vegas this year for a 9-date residency with Queensryche opening. Aerosmith has been crazy successful with their residency too. I saw KISS when they did their residency at the Hard Rock back in 2014 (I believe). It seems like it would have been an easy buck for them to do more residencies (no travel, near LA, same show over and over, etc.). I've always thought that maybe the residency didn't perform well financially, and there isn't a market for them to do it again in Las Vegas. It's the only logical reason I can think that they wouldn't do it.

Related but not related, the EOTR Tour should have been a tight 18 months and wrapped in July 2020, not 2021. I think this year they're going to struggle on numbers, which I'd hate to see after such a wildly successful 2019.
Who said they weren't going to do it? Who said it wasn't financially successful? WTH?

The Vegas residencies will probably happen yearly after the EOTR tour.

alivecatman
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by alivecatman »

DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 am
Doose wrote:

Who said they weren't going to do it? Who said it wasn't financially successful? WTH?

The Vegas residencies will probably happen yearly after the EOTR tour.
I think he's just saying in his opinion. I echo his thoughts here. No one was stating facts.

Ace Fury
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ace Fury »

I went to Vegas and had a blast. I would 100% go back if KISS did another one. I was hoping to meet some people from the FAQ but no luck. Met lots of cool KISS fans there though. :)

AJrox
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AJrox »

I had a blast at the Vegas Residency; one of my favorite times as a fan. I do hope for another one soon and with the way classic rock bands are going back to Vegas for residencies, I don't see why KISS wouldn't.

sagedrummer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by sagedrummer »

It’s much harder to pull off the lip syncing in a small venue like that

So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

The problem for Kiss though is now everyone and their brother are doing a Vegas residency. Lots more competition. There will still be a market for them to do it, but they’ll want to schedule when others are on hiatus.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

Doose wrote:

I thought the same exact thing! I think Vegas would probably be the best place to perform for them. I live in California and I noticed how far away some events were when it came to my area. I really wish they would to Vegas, I don't understand why they only toured it once for the EOTR Tour.

BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

The 2014 residency was a huge success. KISS essentially took over the Hard Rock for two weeks. I’m not sure why they didn’t return. I can only speculate that Paul wasn’t thrilled with The Joint.

I’m sure they will return in the near future. It would be awesome to have KISS do a residency at the new Virgin Hotel when it debuts later this year. It will have big shoes to fill, however. The Hard Rock Hotel Vegas was a special place. You can still enjoy a couple more weeks of it, but it’s a shell of its former self, currently.

Doose

Post by Doose »

BlackDiamond67 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 am
The 2014 residency was a huge success. KISS essentially took over the Hard Rock for two weeks. I’m not sure why they didn’t return. I can only speculate that Paul wasn’t thrilled with The Joint.

I’m sure they will return in the near future. It would be awesome to have KISS do a residency at the new Virgin Hotel when it debuts later this year. It will have big shoes to fill, however. The Hard Rock Hotel Vegas was a special place. You can still enjoy a couple more weeks of it, but it’s a shell of its former self, currently.
Production-wise, the show was awesome, and they obviously liked it enough to put it out on DVD. But The Joint holds 4,000 people. If they played 10 shows, that means they needed to sell 40,000 tickets. In Las Vegas. I don't think KISS has the drawing power to do it like Aerosmith or Gwen Stefani do.

The one thing KISS never had was that one massive album that sold 8, 10, 12 million copies in the 80s or 90s, and they never had #1 hits. That's the difference between how KISS and The Who do, versus how Aerosmith and Gwen Stefani do. They don't have that broad audience reach that the others do. That's why I think it was an economic decision not to return to Vegas.

gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Doose wrote:
I think this year they're going to struggle on numbers
Who cares about struggling on numbers when they're already struggling with stage banter? They're lucky if by year 2021 it isn't Whisperfest. :cry:

BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

Doose wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:02 pm
BlackDiamond67 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:46 am

Production-wise, the show was awesome, and they obviously liked it enough to put it out on DVD. But The Joint holds 4,000 people. If they played 10 shows, that means they needed to sell 40,000 tickets. In Las Vegas. I don't think KISS has the drawing power to do it like Aerosmith or Gwen Stefani do.

The one thing KISS never had was that one massive album that sold 8, 10, 12 million copies in the 80s or 90s, and they never had #1 hits. That's the difference between how KISS and The Who do, versus how Aerosmith and Gwen Stefani do. They don't have that broad audience reach that the others do. That's why I think it was an economic decision not to return to Vegas.

I attended six of the nine shows and each looked packed to me.
I think KISS has attributes that others do not. They are clearly an profoundly iconic band that has been touring virtually nonstop for over a decade. I think they did, and would do, quite well in Vegas again. I just think that KISS has enjoyed touring all over the world. KISS is all about the show which matches Vegas quite well.

Now, could they do a residency of several months like some pop artists...no. I will agree there. But, the formula for rock bands is typically 6-9 show stints. That has and would continue to fit KISS well.

KISS at the Hard Rock, was a major event. The store named B-Sides had photographs of each era of KISS by the various photographers. Iconic In their own right. The photos were displayed in lighted boxes as well as well-framed pieces of art.
If you were a KISS fan, it was a kid-in-a-candy-store experience.

Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

I loved the display at that store. They had some great shirts there too. And the road case with all the vinyl.

Plus everyone was so cool and taking about KISS there. (Meaning all over the strip) Everyone seemed to know they were in town and anywhere you'd go you'd see KISS fans or like me wearing a KISS shirt (hotter than hell cover, and a rock and roll over shirt) people would totally just come up to you and ask if you were going to the show and seemed genuinely interested about the band.

BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

Ace Fury wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:00 am
I loved the display at that store. They had some great shirts there too. And the road case with all the vinyl.

Plus everyone was so cool and taking about KISS there. (Meaning all over the strip) Everyone seemed to know they were in town and anywhere you'd go you'd see KISS fans or like me wearing a KISS shirt (hotter than hell cover, and a rock and roll over shirt) people would totally just come up to you and ask if you were going to the show and seemed genuinely interested about the band.
That was my experience as well. I met one of my current best buds and his awesome girlfriend (dear friends) in the incredibly long line for one of the two Paul Stanley book signings. They had actually come to Vegas directly after Kruise IV. I also met people from all over the world there. One group of Aussies who had come all that way to see three KISS shows. It was lightning in a bottle for sure.

I got these KISS cookies at the coffee shop in the HRH, at the time. Just one of many examples of how KISS commands a presence at a residency unlike any other.

(I actually preserved these cookies and have them in a huge shadow box of items from the 2014 Residency). :)

472CCDDA-FCC3-4D55-ACEB-A865AC6A4F1F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Wow those cookies are cool!!!

Tallbear13
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tallbear13 »

Cookies!