The single. Most. Kiss-unlike. Song. Ever!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Soylent Gene
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: The single. Most. Kiss-unlike. Song. Ever!

Post by Soylent Gene » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:59 am

Beth.

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 am

8)
bassmansteiny wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 am
Destroyerhead wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:53 pm
bassmansteiny wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:52 am
yomontecarlo wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 am
Jungle
Maybe, but it is awesomely awesome 🙂😎
Ok. Jungle's verse-structure is unique for Kiss, i'll give you that. BUT i would call the guitar-chorus-section a further development of the ones heard in Take it off.
Either way it is an awesome song, one of my KISS favorites. 😎
😎

Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Where's Drago? » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:04 am

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:20 am
Where's Drago? wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:50 pm
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 pm
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:23 pm
Bruce wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:03 am
Cadillac Dreams is very KIϟϟ-like in that it talks about dreaming big, while at the same time realizing that it takes money to make your dreams come true. Doing more with less doesn't work. Most of the time you really do need the resources. So it's not a song about blowing smoke up anybody's ass. If you have dreams, if you've got plans for yourself, your going to have to find funding by using what talent God gives you and not throwing your life away. The brass and all that's celebrating this ... like triumphant horns as you lead the charge. Yes, I like the song allot.
Absolutely completely agree.
Then, my dear new friend, please give me an example for at least one sonically equal to Cadillac Dreams.
I don't understand what mean by sonically equal? If you mean it doesn't sound 'anything' like KISS well, my dear new friend, 'Dirty Livin'' couldn't exist anywhere else in the catalogue. And how about I Was Made For Lovin' You? Some folks have listed other songs.

Lyrically, as Bruce has so eloquently explained above, it's almost as KISS as KISS gets as far as the promotion of the philosophy goes. KISS was always about bettering yourself. Only later did it become part of their writing. As a fan of the 80s KISS the theme in Cadillac Dreams was already a well-trodden path, particularly in interviews and so on. Financial aspiration is as KISS as it gets.

And besides, I think Thou Shalt Not is a track that follows on from Cadillac Dreams. That 'fuck you' kind of thing. It's just... heavier.
I would never say Though shalt not follows Cadillac Dreams. Not even lyrically, but... ok.

What i mean, Is it so hard to see Cadillac Dreams sounds like nothing else in the catalogue?
It's as if Brian Setzer "Rock this town" was on Love Gun. I wouldn't belong there. It would not have any sonic equal. It's still Rock n' Roll with attitude, but Rockabilly is a very different animal by nature.

Dirty Livin' IWMFLY and Sure know Something are three very different songs. But they all share sonic identity. None of them seems out of place on Dynasty. They fit and complement each other. Unholy, Heart of Chrome and Though shalt not are three very different songs, but blah, blah & etc etc... on Revenge.

You get the idea? I dont't have to or want to be right about this, i only think it's the way it is.

And some folks have listed other songs, yes, and some folks are right about some songs.
Now it's 'sonic identity'. Yes, Cadillac Dreams has a different groove to it than the majority of Hot In The Shade but if you think Cadillac Dreams sounds so out of place that it doesn't sonically fit on HITS I can't work out how you're hearing it. How you can say IWMFLY has the same sonics as 2000 Man but Cadillac Dreams doesn't have the same sonics as Betrayed is beyond me. It's got the same drums and guitars. It's the song that's different, not the sonics.

And the lyrics.

If you believe...

"When I heard the preacher say, don't throw your life away
I got that message, and I wrote it on the wall
I don't want anybody tellin' me lies,
No, I don't want your diamond ring
'Cause you ain't got my size"

...has no resemblance to...

"One day this man in black said, "Listen Jack"
Told me I was chosen to kiss the ring on his hand
He said "Kindly reconsider the sins of your past"
And I said "Mister you can kindly kiss my ass"

...that's completely your call.

It's not simply about using the same words, it's sometimes about copping a mood or a feel or a theme.

Anyway, onwards.

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:04 am
Cadillac Dreams is very KIϟϟ-like in that it talks about dreaming big, while at the same time realizing that it takes money to make your dreams come true. Doing more with less doesn't work. Most of the time you really do need the resources. So it's not a song about blowing smoke up anybody's ass. If you have dreams, if you've got plans for yourself, your going to have to find funding by using what talent God gives you and not throwing your life away. The brass and all that's celebrating this ... like triumphant horns as you lead the charge. Yes, I like the song allot.
Then, my dear new friend, please give me an example for at least one sonically equal to Cadillac Dreams.
I don't understand what mean by sonically equal? If you mean it doesn't sound 'anything' like KISS well, my dear new friend, 'Dirty Livin'' couldn't exist anywhere else in the catalogue. And how about I Was Made For Lovin' You? Some folks have listed other songs.

Lyrically, as Bruce has so eloquently explained above, it's almost as KISS as KISS gets as far as the promotion of the philosophy goes. KISS was always about bettering yourself. Only later did it become part of their writing. As a fan of the 80s KISS the theme in Cadillac Dreams was already a well-trodden path, particularly in interviews and so on. Financial aspiration is as KISS as it gets.

And besides, I think Thou Shalt Not is a track that follows on from Cadillac Dreams. That 'fuck you' kind of thing. It's just... heavier.
I would never say Though shalt not follows Cadillac Dreams. Not even lyrically, but... ok.

What i mean, Is it so hard to see Cadillac Dreams sounds like nothing else in the catalogue?
It's as if Brian Setzer "Rock this town" was on Love Gun. I wouldn't belong there. It would not have any sonic equal. It's still Rock n' Roll with attitude, but Rockabilly is a very different animal by nature.

Dirty Livin' IWMFLY and Sure know Something are three very different songs. But they all share sonic identity. None of them seems out of place on Dynasty. They fit and complement each other. Unholy, Heart of Chrome and Though shalt not are three very different songs, but blah, blah & etc etc... on Revenge.

You get the idea? I dont't have to or want to be right about this, i only think it's the way it is.

And some folks have listed other songs, yes, and some folks are right about some songs.
Now it's 'sonic identity'. Yes, Cadillac Dreams has a different groove to it than the majority of Hot In The Shade but if you think Cadillac Dreams sounds so out of place that it doesn't sonically fit on HITS I can't work out how you're hearing it. How you can say IWMFLY has the same sonics as 2000 Man but Cadillac Dreams doesn't have the same sonics as Betrayed is beyond me. It's got the same drums and guitars. It's the song that's different, not the sonics.

And the lyrics.

If you believe...

It's not simply about using the same words, it's sometimes about copping a mood or a feel or a theme.

Anyway, onwards.
I give up. I don't care anymore. Whatever. My best, anyway, mate.

J-Lefty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by J-Lefty » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:55 am

Great Expectations is an awful awful song!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not "KISS LIKE" Whatever that means

J-Lefty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by J-Lefty » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 am

The choice of Cadillac dreams makes zero sense to me. Its a rockin song telling you to to shoot for the sky in life. That is as "KISS " as you get

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:02 pm

J-Lefty wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 am
The choice of Cadillac dreams makes zero sense to me. Its a rockin song telling you to to shoot for the sky in life. That is as "KISS " as you get
Oh, really? Wow! Cool. That's nice.

41Mets

Post by 41Mets » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Just a Boy

Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm not sure if Nothing Can Keep Me From You is the most un KISS like but it's certainly one of the worst things they ever recorded.

As for most un KISS like, I'm going to go with Samurai Son. But I actually like it.

within
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by within » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:59 pm

I agree about "Great Expectations". As for "Samurai Son", I think the Japanese version is better, the KISS version just sounds pathetic... especially the live on TV appearance

ManifestBlasphemy
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ManifestBlasphemy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Rain

lyrically it's very un-Kiss like

BlairC42
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BlairC42 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Boomerang

scotty_rhoads
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty_rhoads » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:45 am

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:30 am
scotty_rhoads wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 am
War Machine. such a departure from their normal stuff. sounded like a completely different set of people recorded it
The whole damn Creatures album sounds like a different band. Just put it right beside Love Gun...
Apart from that i always saw War Machine as a God of Thunder for the 80's. Both... and it became a permanent live replacement for GOT.

And, take a closer look at Only You on The Elder. It's got plenty of that War Machinestyle riffing.
agreed, people have kept up the practice of borrowing parts of "only you".

i just wish we got one more album that sounded exactly like creatures before they turned into bon jovi

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:08 am

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:45 am
War Machine. such a departure from their normal stuff. sounded like a completely different set of people recorded it
The whole damn Creatures album sounds like a different band. Just put it right beside Love Gun...
Apart from that i always saw War Machine as a God of Thunder for the 80's. Both... and it became a permanent live replacement for GOT.

And, take a closer look at Only You on The Elder. It's got plenty of that War Machinestyle riffing.

i just wish we got one more album that sounded exactly like creatures before they turned into bon jovi
I think Lick it up comes closest to "one more album like creatures". I read a review of these two albums sometime and somewhere,
that was something like the following: "If Creatures was a tank, then Lick it up was a tuned up muscle car." I Think thats a spot on analogy.

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:42 am

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

And the lyrics.

If you believe...

Anyway, onwards.
I give up. I don't care anymore. Whatever. My best, anyway, mate.
Agreed. Digital handshake.

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:07 am

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:42 am
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

Agreed. Digital handshake.
Digital handshake.

scotty_rhoads
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty_rhoads » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:07 am

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:08 am
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:45 am

I think Lick it up comes closest to "one more album like creatures". I read a review of these two albums sometime and somewhere,
that was something like the following: "If Creatures was a tank, then Lick it up was a tuned up muscle car." I Think thats a spot on analogy.

when i say exactly like creatures i mean like how judas priest did with turbo and ram it down. they were both recorded at the same time. no sound changes etc.
thats very true though, i never thought about that analogy. what i really wanted was ALIVE! after creatures was released so basically one of the rio shows. metal was big in the early 80s, i doubt they would have had trouble selling that live album.

jannep17

Post by jannep17 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:54 am

Some twists and turns with the arrangement, but other than that, a pretty standard rock song.
So I don't agree.

I don't think Kiss has stretched their musical imagination that much, actually.
Sure, a few ballads and the odd symphonic interlude on The Elder. The faux grunge on Carnival of Souls. The so-called disco of IWMFLY. (It's not really disco.)
But still, always within a rather distinct pop/rock/heavy metal area.

If they had gone to symphonic rock or Electronic Dance Music, that would be pushing it.

Potato Salad
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Potato Salad » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:40 am

BlairC42 wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 pm
Boomerang
What even is that song? Rockabilly speed metal? I haven't heard anything else like it.

EggFlip
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by EggFlip » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:49 am

Dirty Livin

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:58 am

Potato Salad wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:40 am
BlairC42 wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 pm
Boomerang
What even is that song? Rockabilly speed metal? I haven't heard anything else like it.
I think it's a riff on Stone Cold Crazy. But nice characterization anyway.

WI KISSfan
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by WI KISSfan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Anything on COS.

ludzil

Post by ludzil » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Anything from Unmasked and The Elder.

within
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by within » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:07 am
when i say exactly like creatures i mean like how judas priest did with turbo and ram it down. they were both recorded at the same time. no sound changes etc.
Are you sure about that? I think those albums sound pretty different, sound-wise.

scotty_rhoads
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty_rhoads » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 am

within wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:59 pm
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:07 am
Are you sure about that? I think those albums sound pretty different, sound-wise.
In 1986, Judas Priest intended to release a double album entitled Twin Turbos, of which half would consist of melodic, more commercial hard rock, and the other half would be heavier and less synth-driven. Columbia Records objected to the double album concept, and the project was ultimately split into two separate releases, 1986's Turbo, and 1988's Ram It Down. At least four songs, "Ram it Down", "Hard as Iron", "Love You to Death" and "Monsters of Rock", were written for the Twin Turbos project.

within
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by within » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:07 am

yeah but that would be about the song WRITING then, not necessarily about the recording. or do you know whether they have been recorded during the same sessions? i would doubt that heavily. yes of course, they went for different styles, but to my ears it sounds as if those were different recording sessions as well...

That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 am

"Odyssey,"

Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Put the sex in my ex » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 am

Boomerang.

Because it's not music. . .

strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Scroll to the bottom of my list for my answer ...

https://www.ranker.com/list/every-kiss- ... rofile_own

warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 pm

gtrslinger22 wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:52 pm
Lets put the X in sex or (you make me) Rock Hard.......I'm sure there's many more but these are the first two that came too mind that havnt already been mentioned.
Probably my two least favorite songs in the catalog.

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:12 pm

"I"

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 am

The Fox wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:12 pm
"I"
Most probably the most Kiss-like song on The Elder. Please explain.

caligari

Post by caligari » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:34 am

🤢 NOTHING CAN KEEP ME FROM YOU 🤮

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 am
"I"
Nothing Kiss like about it... hell Paul sounds like he's trying to do an Elvis impersonation on the crap-track.

Idk how you could even claim it's the "most Kiss-like song" on the The Elder.

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:23 am

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:14 pm
"I"
Nothing Kiss like about it... hell Paul sounds like he's trying to do an Elvis impersonation on the crap-track.

The riffing. The chorus. The sound. ...and yeah, i can see that Elvis thing :wink:

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:23 am
"I"

The riffing. The chorus. The sound. ...and yeah, i can see that Elvis thing :wink:
The riffing, chorus and sound of "I" is nothing like Kiss. "I" doesn't fit anywhere in the catalog, not even on The Elder which is probably why they buried it at the very end of the album.

At best "I" sounds like a hack band trying to sound like Kiss but failing at it miserably.

Destroyerhead
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Destroyerhead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:04 pm
"I"

The riffing, chorus and sound of "I" is nothing like Kiss. "I" doesn't fit anywhere in the catalog, not even on The Elder which is probably why they buried it at the very end of the album.

At best "I" sounds like a hack band trying to sound like Kiss but failing at it miserably.
There you have it. Two persons, two opinions. I can live with that.

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:00 pm
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:04 pm
"I"

There you have it. Two persons, two opinions. I can live with that.
I can't... "I" is a shit song. All other opinions are wrong. :P

Mr. Kiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Mr. Kiss » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Randell Stevens wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am
Nothing Can Keep Me From You.... No doubt. I felt wrong for just typing out the title.

:oops: .... :oops: ... :!:

Couldn't agree more Randell.

Starkiller1980
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Starkiller1980 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Beth.

No other bands members except PC, plus it mainly used instruments that no one in the band can even play.