Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by steve » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

I believe Vinnie's finest moments were as a co-writer for KISS and that's the only capacity they should have engaged him in. The first and only choice for Frehley's replacement ought to have been Bruce.

Left to his own devices, VV has no discipline or restraint. I feel there are some good ideas on the first Invasion album (less so on ASG, which I don't like), but he ruins them by soloing over the top of them in a way that has nothing to do with the riff going on underneath.

LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:08 pm

LordThurisaz wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm
Borderline?
:lol: …That's a good point,because I turned it off pretty much immediately.

LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by LordThurisaz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 pm

steve wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm
I believe Vinnie's finest moments were as a co-writer for KISS and that's the only capacity they should have engaged him in. The first and only choice for Frehley's replacement ought to have been Bruce.

Left to his own devices, VV has no discipline or restraint. I feel there are some good ideas on the first Invasion album (less so on ASG, which I don't like), but he ruins them by soloing over the top of them in a way that has nothing to do with the riff going on underneath.
It is because he believes you can play anything over any chord. Marty Friedman might shy away from getting too in depth with theory when he dissects his playing, but his style is SO much more engaging, melodic, and impressive no matter what speed he plays at.

TheSphinx

Post by TheSphinx » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 am

tommy d wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:39 pm
TheSphinx wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm
Vinnie Saving KISS

That is Vinnie's finest moment.

Love this VH1 article from 2015. Although, he should have been named the #1 most under-rated hair metal guitarist, they did put him at #2.

#2 Vinnie Vincent – Kiss/Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. No two ways about it.

As Kiss’s record sales and concert attendance dwindled in the early ’80s, former Vincent John Cusano started as a session player on the 1982 Creatures of the Nightalbum before strapping on the requisite platform boots and painting his face to become the “Ankh Warrior” as departing guitar lord Ace Frehley’s official replacement.

The following year, Kiss famously ditched their makeup, emboldened not just by Vinnie’s daredevil guitar playing, but also by his absolutely top-tier skills as a songwriter. Just as Kiss has adapted to late-’70s disco with “I Was Made for Loving You,” Vinnie Vincent multiple talents would mega-successfully launch the band into the hair metal ’80s.

Vinnie co-wrote eight of the ten songs on 1983’s transitional smash Lick It Up, including the instant-classic title track, which remains one of Kiss’s true signature anthems, and the full-blown rump-stomper “All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose.”

Alas, Vinnie’s Kiss tenure proved short-lived. Business tensions and some onstage antics such as an unexpected, off-the-wall guitar solo at a March 1984 Quebec gig at the end of the Lick It Up tour prompted Kiss to fire Vinnie immediately. He went on to form the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, which put out two albums that have become fan favorites: a self-titled debut in 1986, and All Systems Go, two years later.

In the years since, Vinnie Vincent has become a mysterious figure and even the object of cult devotion. Rolling Stone even ran a 2014 article titled “The Long Kiss Goodbye: The Search for Vinnie Vincent.”

Vinnie has certainly earned every bit of this admiration and fascination.

The only thing I would take issue with is Vinnie wasn't fired. Vinnie went AWOL. KISS was begging him to return. Gene even got Diana Ross to call him. Vinnie refused to come back.
at least you admit he was a hair metal guy instead of a shredder because he is nowhere near shredder status.
METAL-N-ROLL was the best description of the new TURBO CHARGED KISS