Do you think Gene & Paul were surprised at the success of EOTR?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Were Gene and Paul surprised at the scale of success EOTR turned out to be

Yes, they didn't think it was going to be this huge.
37%
No, they knew it would be a huge success.
63%

Total votes: 78

DOUBLE DYNASTY
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Do you think Gene & Paul were surprised at the success of EOTR?

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 am

In my opinion, Gene and Paul had no idea how popular the "End or the road" tour was going to be, and it has them re-thinking retirement.

What are your thoughts?

Crown Royal

Re: Do you think Gene & Paul were surprised at the success of EOTR?

Post by Crown Royal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

By some standards it has been a success, but I believe G and P believed it would be bigger than it has been.

Only one-night stands in places like NYC and Detroit, and neither show sold-out...when it's your last tour and that happens, it makes an impression.

They've got some things to be proud of on this tour, but overall I think it has fallen a bit below their incoming expectations

Fartbone

Post by Fartbone » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am

Bittersweet for the boys. I think they thought they could do better but it's going good enough.

Doose
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Doose » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am

Crown Royal wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am
By some standards it has been a success, but I believe G and P believed it would be bigger than it has been.

Only one-night stands in places like NYC and Detroit, and neither show sold-out...when it's your last tour and that happens, it makes an impression.

They've got some things to be proud of on this tour, but overall I think it has fallen a bit below their incoming expectations
Agreed. I think G&P thought it would be a bit bigger too. The shows are selling out (or close to), but I think they may have been expecting multiple nights and/or being able to go back to the same markets multiple times. For example, I think the Hollywood Bowl show was on the calendar, but they realized the LA market couldn't handle a Staples show AND Bowl show, especially considering Anaheim was one of the lower selling shows of the tour.

That being said, the tour has been wildly successful for them and they should be proud that they can bow out with this tour.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 am

I think it's doing good, good enough for them to be proud of the turnout. However with those guys they probably figured it would be much more successful. I feel like it has been a successful tour, nothing like the Reunion/Alive 96/97 as far as turnout, but pretty darn good. As a diehard and a Michigander I would've loved to have seen Detroit as sold out and multiple nights, at least Grand Rapids sold out or was pretty darn close since we haven't seen any numbers for that show. But Detroit is a special city for KISS. That's life I suppose.

Grizzly Adams
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Grizzly Adams » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am

When this tour talk started, I recall Doc saying that there wouldn’t be multiple nites in same city.
So you can’t cite ‘no multiple nites in same city’ as falling short of their expectations.
It never was an expectation.

Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am
When this tour talk started, I recall Doc saying that there wouldn’t be multiple nites in same city.
So you can’t cite ‘no multiple nites in same city’ as falling short of their expectations.
It never was an expectation.
I don't remember Doc saying that.

Even if he did, my comment still stands. If you can't do multiple nights in major markets on your final tour then that's a disappointment to some degree; weather you realized that disappointment before the tour started or during it is kind of irrelevant.

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm

The only reason Doc would have ever said a thing like that is if the pre-tour research told them it was impossible.

Bruce
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Bruce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm

It's clear that if they try to tour again after EOTR, they will struggle. It won't work. And despite everything that everyone has been saying about lip syncing, no one onstage really acting lively and all that, there hasn't been any real need for damage control. Paul and Gene wouldn't mind a huge sendoff, but I believe that sales are about what they expected them to be, for the most part.

nibbler1982
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by nibbler1982 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 pm

bassmansteiny wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 am
I think it's doing good, good enough for them to be proud of the turnout. However with those guys they probably figured it would be much more successful. I feel like it has been a successful tour, nothing like the Reunion/Alive 96/97 as far as turnout, but pretty darn good. As a diehard and a Michigander I would've loved to have seen Detroit as sold out and multiple nights, at least Grand Rapids sold out or was pretty darn close since we haven't seen any numbers for that show. But Detroit is a special city for KISS. That's life I suppose.
Maybe you missed the boxscore.

KISS
Van Andel Arena
Grand Rapids, MI
March 9, 2019
$1,257,123
10,553 **SOLD-OUT

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:29 pm

nibbler1982 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 pm
bassmansteiny wrote:

KISS
Van Andel Arena
Grand Rapids, MI
March 9, 2019
$1,257,123
10,553 **SOLD-OUT
Awesome!! Thanks brother 🙂

I gave up and thought it was never going to be released, lol. I wasn't sure if it was sold out or not but it was packed and I figured if it wasn't it was damn close. Thanks again.

nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:17 pm

bassmansteiny wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:29 pm
nibbler1982 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 pm
bassmansteiny wrote:

KISS
Van Andel Arena
Grand Rapids, MI
March 9, 2019
$1,257,123
10,553 **SOLD-OUT
Awesome!! Thanks brother 🙂

I gave up and thought it was never going to be released, lol. I wasn't sure if it was sold out or not but it was packed and I figured if it wasn't it was damn close. Thanks again.
Anytime brah.

70skid
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by 70skid » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:12 pm

I don't think they were surprised. Touring is G&P's most successful business enterprise from 1996-on and they know their stuff. They know their promoters and their promoters know them. They know the markets.

Nibbler could probably elaborate, but I think there is high demand for 'old fashioned rock n' roll' events amongst the populace since they aren't really making anything new (in any kind of mass) that is remotely like KISS, Queen + Adam Lambert, REO, and the like.

I think the fact that they knew their market and knew they would succeed WAS a surprise for Ace.....who incorrectly assumed that he was needed. Completely different market and era than 1996. When you go to a show like Queen + Adam Lambert, there are people there who are the furthest from diehards than you can ever imagine. But they do want a kick ass rock opera show and they get it.

JohnBergless
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by JohnBergless » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:36 pm

The folks at McGhee Entertainment probably blow alot of sunshine up thier ass about what a tour can bring in too; although I would think Doc and his network would have a realistic pulse on whats happening out in the marketplace; especially in this day and age. G&P trust what MeGhee Entertainment feeds them on alot of this, no doubt.

nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:37 pm

I believe you mean ELO not REO?

I’m actually in the midst of a post for this thread but what you’ve said is all true.

As for us 70s kids...how awesome was it every time a Timer PSA popped on the television? Lennie Weinrib’s voice is as distinctive as a fingerprint. I loved him as Darzee in Rikki Tikki Tavi.

Good times.
Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRuDL3-rRtc

Forevertj

Post by Forevertj » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm

I only have one question about touring; how much money is enough? Is there a goal of some kind? seriously, there has to be a total number they are aiming at for their own personal fortunes.

Bruce
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Bruce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 pm

For their kids, maybe?

That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm

No

DOUBLE DYNASTY

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 pm

bassmansteiny wrote:
Keep in mind that this band has been through some very bad years (Creatures tour) so they were prepared for anything I think.

Much Too Soon
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Much Too Soon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:24 pm

96.4% sold out.... $58,000,000 gross.
They are selling 96.4% of their “pre tour estimate of offered tickets”.
And getting a premium average of around $100 per.
They and their team knew/know exactly what they were/are doing.
EXACTLY.🎯

star_paul12

Post by star_paul12 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 pm

By their standards the first leg was a tremendous success. There also seemed to be decent (yet still minimal) amount of buzz about them and publicity which helped. But this second leg, which I think is a harbinger of what would come of any future endeavors on the us turf, is just hobbling along in my opinion. Shows aren’t selling nearly as well. Tickets are being slashed to death to get people to attend. And, aside from the small write ups in each individual city they’re coming to, little has been written or publicized about the band in a long while. Technically, as far as we know*, this is the band’s last trek around their home country—the place where they, as gene so routinely loves to remind everyone, the have more gold records than any other American band etc etc—and yet by and largely not that many people seem to care.

Lest we forget gene and Paul’s word is about as reliable as a flip flop in a snow storm

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 pm

From a look at the tour schedule I’d say they never planned for multiple nights. There wasn’t a lot of spare days in between dates that I noticed.

Philly Cheese

Post by Philly Cheese » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm

I don't think they were surprised, but I know many people on this board have been.

After saying they saturated the market and over-toured, and once Peter and Ace were out of the picture, they predicted doom and gloom.

Then the first leg went great and they said the lip synching would affect the second leg.

The truth is, the tour is doing exactly what Gene and Paul wanted: allowed them to do a massive show with a nearly full house every night and do great financially.

Seanjc
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Seanjc » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:06 pm

I think the tour is doing what they'd hoped it would. I'll say this though, I'm surprised it's done as well as it has without at least one other well-known act on the bill. Yeah, they're playing the "farewell" card but they've done that before (and that tour had all four originals as well as two name openers that resonated with KISS' demographic) and they've toured consistently over the years with a largely unchanged set list. I get why they chose a painter over an actual band, I'm just surprised they've been as successful as they've been.
Last edited by Seanjc on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

px74
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by px74 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 pm

As long as they supplement their gate takings with merch sales and meet and greets, Gene and Paul have nothing to worry about

Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm

I think it surprises everyone involved, given the success it is

ManifestBlasphemy
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ManifestBlasphemy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:27 am

No I actually think they thought the EOTR shows would sell out faster then they have been.

gene therapist

Post by gene therapist » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:41 am

I'm sure Paul was plenty surprised by the miraculous healing of his vocal cords! :drunken:

elleneff

Post by elleneff » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:43 am

Hey. So far so good.
The reception is great, the shows look great, the houses are full.
Knowing when to stop and leaving them wanting more and not milk it into the ground
Which of course , Kiss never do. cough.

EndOfTheChodes
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by EndOfTheChodes » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 am

I'll go on record and say I was wrong about the appeal of the tour. Somebody is obviously going. While I stand behind my reasons for sitting this tour out, I'm still glad to see others enjoying KISS. I had my time. I don't fault anyone for going for one more ride or seeing KISS for the first time while they still can.

Grizzly Adams
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Grizzly Adams » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:35 am

At the end of the day, Paul and Gene only care about one thing...

more lettuce in their bank accounts

curryleaf
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by curryleaf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:38 am

I would be very surprised if the UK leg of the tour didn't at least meet (and probably exceed) their expectations.

EndOfTheChodes
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by EndOfTheChodes » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 am

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:35 am
At the end of the day, Paul and Gene only care about one thing...

more lettuce in their bank accounts
I see what you did there. Lettuce Go Rock N Roll!

elleneff

Post by elleneff » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:46 am

Lettice up? Its only right now?

On the 8th day, God created a salad bar

Garnish More?

All Hellmans balsamic! Hey hey have you heard the news?

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 am

DOUBLE DYNASTY wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:09 pm
bassmansteiny wrote:
Keep in mind that this band has been through some very bad years (Creatures tour) so they were prepared for anything I think.
True, good point

Spiritual_Chaos
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Spiritual_Chaos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:24 am

In the Suds wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm
The only reason Doc would have ever said a thing like that is if the pre-tour research told them it was impossible.
Has there been double nights any place? Even in Europe?

If not. Then I would say your post is not proof of anything.

andreww1962
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by andreww1962 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:41 am

I don't think there were any surprises. They booked the arenas they did because they expected to fill them, not to play to half full houses. Here in Toronto they are doing two nights at the Scotiabank Arena, but if they didn't expect such a turnout I'm sure they would have played the Budwiser stage (smaller capacity) which they've played in previous years.

andreww1962
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by andreww1962 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:42 am

Spiritual_Chaos wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:24 am
In the Suds wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:29 pm
Has there been double nights any place? Even in Europe?

If not. Then I would say your post is not proof of anything.
Toronto, one night in March and this Saturday night.

Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by Sticky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:57 am

A friend of mine works for a promoter and he told me they just passed on a KISS show in 2020. They think the third go-around in some cities is too much and the guarantee is $750,000.

nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 am

Sticky wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:57 am
A friend of mine works for a promoter and he told me they just passed on a KISS show in 2020. They think the third go-around in some cities is too much and the guarantee is $750,000.
For the 2020 secondary/tertiary markets that figure sounds about right. Do you know for what venue? For some venues on the third go around a $750,000 guarantee should be easy. On some, not so much.

To play devil’s advocate, if this show was to go through the EXACT same route as Freedom To Rock that guarantee might be tight. If you’d cut out a third of the fat i think it should be smooth sailing.

Can’t wait to see what 2020 holds.