Better than Peter, huh?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
guitardiet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: Better than Peter, huh?

Post by guitardiet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 am

caligari wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:42 am
The Fox wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 pm
caligari wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:15 pm
The Fox wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 pm
Tito wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm
I don't get it; is something about this clip supposed to show he wasn't?
Excellent question... I'm wondering the same thing.

It's always laughable when the drones come out and try to claim that either Peter's a great drummer or that at least he was a great drummer for Kiss.

Both claims are laughable... and I'll definitely get a laugh when I read the follow-ups to this that'll inevitably say "You're cwazy... Pewer Cwiss is the gwetest dwummer ewer! woot!"
I’m not slagging either of “The Erics”, but I guess I’ll bite and say:
PETER WAS A GREAT DRUMMER FOR KISS.
His unorthodox style had a “Keith Moon with a splash of Krupa” quality to it.
Drum patterns to songs like
I WANT YOU 👉
100000 YEARS 🗓
KING OF THE NIGHT TIME WORLD 🌙
PARASITE 🦠
I STOLE YOUR LOVE ❤️
ROCKIN’ IN THE USA 🇺🇸
to name a few
are not your standard “straight beat”fare.
Nah. Pete did okay with help in the studio, but otherwise was an obvious poor fit on the drums with Kiss.
Right...

Pick one:

A) I feel so so stupid now... Thanks for clearing that up. Can’t believe I could not see something so obvious. 😔

B) A obvious bad fit in the band for 7 years. I’m surprised along the way that the band, the management, the record company, producers or engineers did not say something.
Too bad they didn’t have you to consult with. Who knows what kind of popularity KISS could have had if you were there to point this out? 🧐

C) You OBVIOUSLY have a agenda and lack musical knowledge, so it might be best if you just shut the f*** up! 🤬
Geez...this is crazy. Guess most people on this site discovered KISS IN 1980. Cause any time before that year, KISS WAS STUCK with that lowlife piece of shit drummer that did nothing but bring the band down. Then when Eric joined, off they went to super stardom :roll: Jesus, it’s just rock and roll, right?
Last edited by guitardiet on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ferdinand Cesarano
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by Ferdinand Cesarano » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:42 pm
Here’s Eric Singer playing Dr Love in February. Sounds pretty close to the original actually. 8)

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lckFWnJkVUU
While I love Eric Singer and consider him the best drummer of the three, he is still not getting "Calling Dr. Love" right. Peter did those extra snare notes during the verses, at the "3-and-4" spot in each measure. I know I am not explaining it right; but it resulted in a kind of shuffle feel. Eric Singer, like Eric Carr before him, just plays the verses straight.

elleneff
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by elleneff » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:08 am

Cue Thread descending into YOUR OPINION IS WRONG and You are having fun wrong etc.

Fartbone
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Fartbone » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 am

All Kiss fans are crazy motherfuckers. Fact.

me included

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 pm

caligari wrote:
The Fox wrote:
caligari wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Tito wrote:

It's always laughable when the drones come out and try to claim that either Peter's a great drummer or that at least he was a great drummer for Kiss.

Both claims are laughable... and I'll definitely get a laugh when I read the follow-ups to this that'll inevitably say "You're cwazy... Pewer Cwiss is the gwetest dwummer ewer! woot!"
I WANT YOU 👉
100000 YEARS 🗓
PARASITE 🦠
I STOLE YOUR LOVE ❤️
ROCKIN’ IN THE USA 🇺🇸
to name a few
Nah. Pete did okay with help in the studio, but otherwise was an obvious poor fit on the drums with Kiss.
Right...

Pick one:

A) I feel so so stupid now... Thanks for clearing that up. Can’t believe I could not see something so obvious. 😔

B) A obvious bad fit in the band for 7 years. I’m surprised along the way that the band, the management, the record company, producers or engineers did not say something.
Too bad they didn’t have you to consult with. Who knows what kind of popularity KISS could have had if you were there to point this out? 🧐

C) You OBVIOUSLY have a agenda and lack musical knowledge, so it might be best if you just shut the f*** up! 🤬
Lol, a little bitter are we?

You should take your own advice and "just shut the f*** up! 🤬" and accept that Pewer Cwiss isn't the gwetest dwummer ewer.

Lolz.... it's cute that you like Pewer so much!

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:16 pm

guitardiet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 am
caligari wrote:
The Fox wrote:
caligari wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Tito wrote:

I WANT YOU 👉
100000 YEARS 🗓
PARASITE 🦠
I STOLE YOUR LOVE ❤️
ROCKIN’ IN THE USA 🇺🇸
to name a few
Right...

Pick one:

Geez...this is crazy. Guess most people on this site discovered KISS IN 1980. Cause any time before that year, KISS WAS STUCK with that lowlife piece of shit drummer that did nothing but bring the band down. Then when Eric joined, off they went to super stardom :roll: Jesus, it’s just rock and roll, right?
A lot of Kiss fans are very soft-headed and still believe in the idea of Kiss members being super heroes/music geniuses instead of the truth of Kiss members being fallible human beings in that they still believe 40+ year old propaganda that the Kiss hype machine pumped out in the 70s instead of cold hard facts... which fits in well with the #posttruth era that we're in where people ignore facts because they're either inconvenient or simply because reasons.

The argument that Peter Criss is a good drummer (or good drummer for Kiss) is laughable on so many levels but when facts are pointed out people interpret that either as personal attacks and over-react (ex: caligari) or just deliberately lose IQ points and become impossible to reason with... effectively creating a vortex or pointless posting and arguments that inevitably turns into a flame war.

As threads like this pop up on a fairly predictable basis I try not to get invoked, but admittedly I get sucked into the vortex myself from time to time when I get irked by all the irrational fanboy masturbating that I see posted in threads like this.

metaldad

Post by metaldad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:04 pm

The thread that keeps on giving
Fucking hilarious

guitardiet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by guitardiet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:30 pm

The Fox wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:16 pm
guitardiet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 am
caligari wrote:
The Fox wrote:
caligari wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Tito wrote:

I WANT YOU 👉
100000 YEARS 🗓
PARASITE 🦠
I STOLE YOUR LOVE ❤️
ROCKIN’ IN THE USA 🇺🇸
to name a few
Right...

Pick one:

A lot of Kiss fans are very soft-headed and still believe in the idea of Kiss members being super heroes/music geniuses instead of the truth of Kiss members being fallible human beings in that they still believe 40+ year old propaganda that the Kiss hype machine pumped out in the 70s instead of cold hard facts... which fits in well with the #posttruth era that we're in where people ignore facts because they're either inconvenient or simply because reasons.

The argument that Peter Criss is a good drummer (or good drummer for Kiss) is laughable on so many levels but when facts are pointed out people interpret that either as personal attacks and over-react (ex: caligari) or just deliberately lose IQ points and become impossible to reason with... effectively creating a vortex or pointless posting and arguments that inevitably turns into a flame war.

As threads like this pop up on a fairly predictable basis I try not to get invoked, but admittedly I get sucked into the vortex myself from time to time when I get irked by all the irrational fanboy masturbating that I see posted in threads like this.
So, just for the record, you didn’t like the 70s era KISS. I mean how could you have enjoyed the early catalog with Peter at the kit? The idea that he brought anything to the band is laughable, right?

guitardiet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by guitardiet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:30 pm

metaldad wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:04 pm
Fucking hilarious
And yet here you are

Spoonful
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Spoonful » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 pm

The Fox wrote:

Try not to get invoked? Get sucked in from time to time? Mate, you are always well and truly ingrained in these threads whenever I first enter them.

You're here blasting people on here that like Peter's drumming for "starting flame wars" and yet here you are fanning the flames, telling them that the idea of Peter being a good drummer is "laughable" and that they're "losing IQ points". You're asking to get flamed, you very much deserve to get flamed, and then you bitch and whine when people do start flaming you. Having a different opinion does not equal "irrational fanboy masturbating".

In my opinion, the biggest problem I find with this discussion is that most people in the Carr + Singer camp do not seem to understand that technical ability and virtuosity does not equal better musicianship. Peter's style is the perfect style for band's best material. In fact, the Paul Gene Ace Peter combo is the best combo for the band's best material. He's not the most technically sound, he's not the tightest, and he's not the most knowledgeable. But he is the best drummer for Kiss (and a damn good vocalist as well).

Peter was the best drummer for Kiss in the same way that Ringo was the best drummer for The Beatles. The same way that Ginger Baker was the best drummer for Cream. The same way that Stevie Wonder was the best drummer for Stevie Wonder.

Say want you want, but at the end of the day the records speak louder than you do.

metaldad

Post by metaldad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm

guitardiet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:30 pm
metaldad wrote:
Fucking hilarious
And yet here you are
Has nothing to do with what I’m saying
Now go troll another Kiss board

guitardiet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by guitardiet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:58 pm

metaldad wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm
guitardiet wrote:
metaldad wrote:
Fucking hilarious
And yet here you are
You have nothing of value too add to my thread but a smart ass remark, but I’m the troll :lol:

metaldad

Post by metaldad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 pm

guitardiet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:58 pm
metaldad wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm
guitardiet wrote:
metaldad wrote:
Fucking hilarious
And yet here you are
You have nothing of value too add to my thread but a smart ass remark, but I’m the troll :lol:
Troll on

guitardiet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by guitardiet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm

Spoonful wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 pm
The Fox wrote:

Try not to get invoked? Get sucked in from time to time? Mate, you are always well and truly ingrained in these threads whenever I first enter them.

You're here blasting people on here that like Peter's drumming for "starting flame wars" and yet here you are fanning the flames, telling them that the idea of Peter being a good drummer is "laughable" and that they're "losing IQ points". You're asking to get flamed, you very much deserve to get flamed, and then you bitch and whine when people do start flaming you. Having a different opinion does not equal "irrational fanboy masturbating".

In my opinion, the biggest problem I find with this discussion is that most people in the Carr + Singer camp do not seem to understand that technical ability and virtuosity does not equal better musicianship. Peter's style is the perfect style for band's best material. In fact, the Paul Gene Ace Peter combo is the best combo for the band's best material. He's not the most technically sound, he's not the tightest, and he's not the most knowledgeable. But he is the best drummer for Kiss (and a damn good vocalist as well).

Peter was the best drummer for Kiss in the same way that Ringo was the best drummer for The Beatles. The same way that Ginger Baker was the best drummer for Cream. The same way that Stevie Wonder was the best drummer for Stevie Wonder.

Say want you want, but at the end of the day the records speak louder than you do.
Amen. How in the hell did these guys get a following? Thought this was a fan board.

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:24 pm

"on so many levels " is a meaningless phrase people use when they can't make an argument.

This guy has been challenged countless times to explain exactly what is so bad about Peter's drumming. He never can.

Mr. Speedo
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Mr. Speedo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 pm

I love lamp.

Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Shane_Penney » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Let's remember that by 1979, even Peter didn't sound like the classic Peter from 1975.

The Fox

Post by The Fox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Spoonful wrote:
The Fox wrote:

Lol, ok man, everything in your post is completely laughable... especially the statement of Criss having musicianship. But hey, keep drinking the kool aid

caligari

Post by caligari » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm

“Lol”
Look at it this way:

It would take time to properly program a drum machine to play “Sweet Pain” exactly as Peter Criss.

Eric Carr’s beat to “Heaven’s On Fire” is basically a factory preset that can be played under numerous songs.

I sure hope “The Fox” is not a drummer.
Because if he is, his assessment of drumming is “completely laughable”. :lol:
Last edited by caligari on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evo999

Post by Evo999 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Nellcote71 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 am
Carr was a better dummer in terms of technique...but everyone knows it’s about feel. I hated the sound of the band with Carr on drums. Peter smokes him
Who is everyone?

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm

guitardiet wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:00 pm
How in the hell did these guys get a following? Thought this was a fan board.
The problem is most of the fans KISS have are now in the 40-60 year old age range and that means many of us have turned into grumpy curmudgeons.
“You kids get off my lawn!”, “Damn all this traffic!”, “KISS aren’t playing the songs I wanna hear!” :lol:

Nellcote71
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Nellcote71 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Evo999 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm
Nellcote71 wrote:
Carr was a better dummer in terms of technique...but everyone knows it’s about feel. I hated the sound of the band with Carr on drums. Peter smokes him
Who is everyone?
Sorry - everyone “with taste”

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Nellcote71 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Evo999 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm
Nellcote71 wrote:
Who is everyone?
Sorry - everyone “with taste”
Translation: “Everybody who disagrees with me is wrong!”
:lol:

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Spoonful wrote:
Peter's style is the perfect style for band's best material. In fact, the Paul Gene Ace Peter combo is the best combo for the band's best material.
There's that "fact" word again. :roll: It's cool with me that you think so, but that doesn't make it a fact.

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 pm

People sure do seem to get agitated over the word "fact". It's really pretty strange. All throughout this thread and countless others, people declare their opinions as if they're fact...and no one says a single thing about it. But if you use the actual word people lose their shit. Very strange indeed.

Wild Animals
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wild Animals » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Peters the best

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Wild Animals wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Peters the best
Fact.

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Pointing something out does not equal losing your shit. Fact.

Bruce
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Bruce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Fartbone wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 am
All Kiss fans are crazy motherfuckers. Fact.

me included
I'm the only sane one.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am

caligari wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm
It would take time to properly program a drum machine to play “Sweet Pain” exactly as Peter Criss.

Eric Carr’s beat to “Heaven’s On Fire” is basically a factory preset that can be played under numerous songs.
Cherry picked a couple of songs to strengthen your argument I see. How about programming the drums for King Of The Mountain and use the standard preset for Do You Love Me?

Once you’ve done that, punch in Singer’s playing on Hate. Let’s at least compare apples with apples! 8)

Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 am

Shane_Penney wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Let's remember that by 1979, even Peter didn't sound like the classic Peter from 1975.
You're being generous here.

By 1977, he was already declining and by 1979, he wasn't good enough to be playing at dives.

The least said of his second and third tenure, the better.
Last edited by Thunderous_Lay on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 am

Put it this way, watch Largo '79 and Sydney '80 back to back. Which one is better, and why?

lespaul

Post by lespaul » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 am

I`ve said it before, and I`ll say it again : in the konfidential home video paul said this about Peter " it was great when he was great, and it sucked when he wasnt " , and I agree With paul . and no matter how much better Carr and Singer are, they do not come Close to what Peter played , when he was into it. actually that applies to the other Three too (paul, gene and ace) , that`s Magic . like Bruce can play circles around Ace, but too me he butchered all the classic material,same With Carr. never liked or enjoyed Singer .

caligari

Post by caligari » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:09 am

Tito wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 am
Put it this way, watch Largo '79 and Sydney '80 back to back. Which one is better, and why?
Peter was a mess on Largo ‘79, we all know that.
Eric’s playing on Sydney ‘80 had a lot of... enthusiasm.
But Peter on any of the Cobo ‘76 concerts is where it’s at.

caligari

Post by caligari » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 am

Mr Slow wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am
caligari wrote:

Cherry picked a couple of songs to strengthen your argument I see. How about programming the drums for King Of The Mountain and use the standard preset for Do You Love Me?

Once you’ve done that, punch in Singer’s playing on Hate. Let’s at least compare apples with apples! 8)
“Cherry picked” implies it hard to select a example... which was hardly the case.

“King of the Mt.”? What’s the big deal with that? It’s straight 4/4 with a roll at the end of each verse. The middle syncopated part just bangs along with the guitar solo. “I Want You” blows it away from a originality and interesting drum PARTS point of view.

Singers’ “Hate” on the other hand IS indeed interesting and is exactly what a young Peter Criss would have played. 😉

elleneff

Post by elleneff » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 am

Shane_Penney wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Too right. He sounded exactly like Anton Fig. LOL

Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:36 am

Tito wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 am
lol, Sydney '80. Why ?

For a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:

- Finally having a drummer with an actual ear and / or sixth sense for timekeeping.
- Finally having a drummer who understood the basics behind momentum, dynamics and range.
- Finally having a drummer who understood the meaning behind "staccato".
- Finally having a drummer who's attack was actually percussive as opposed to effete.
- Finally having a drummer who's bass drum work resembled the studio recording of Detroit Rock City.

I could go on and on, but you get my point, hopefully...

gene therapist

Post by gene therapist » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:44 am

In the Suds wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:24 pm
"on so many levels " is a meaningless phrase people use when they can't make an argument.
I agree with your argument on so many levels.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 am

caligari wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 am
Mr Slow wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am
caligari wrote:

“Cherry picked” implies it hard to select a example... which was hardly the case.

“King of the Mt.”? What’s the big deal with that? It’s straight 4/4 with a roll at the end of each verse. The middle syncopated part just bangs along with the guitar solo. “I Want You” blows it away from a originality and interesting drum PARTS point of view.

Singers’ “Hate” on the other hand IS indeed interesting and is exactly what a young Peter Criss would have played. 😉
Firstly, listen to KOTM again. That kick drum pattern is stellar.
Secondly, Peter would not have come close to creating that drum part. I think you might just be having a laugh!

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 am

caligari wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 am
“Hate” ... is exactly what a young Peter Criss would have played.
:lol: Sure.