Gene signals to start tape on 100,000 years

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Gene signals to start tape on 100,000 years

Post by battra » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm

ManOf1000Faces wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 am
99.9% of negative comments don't seem to have seen KISS live in years and don't actually base their opinions on having seen the band live since the reunion or ever. If asserting facts is based on YT videos that clearly don't always sing sound and video correctly, it's just another example of people nowadays living vicariously through the web without actually participating in the real world.
What if you saw them the last time they came to your town and still didn't like Paul's vocals?

Coz...that's this guy right here.

Luchino
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Luchino » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm

ManOf1000Faces wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:26 pm
Enjoy the show man, or sell your ticket. I saw the previous tour. They played in my town for the first time since before Alive! I'll be sad when this tour is over.
Thanks man, I will! I'm not a hater, that's why I don't get that label.. and I don't either go as far as to say "sad people pay for that"
cause I'm sure I will have a great night, mainly because I enjoy meeting fellow KISS fans.. and yes, usually at the concert you don't notice it as much
although I do remember when they opened the Monster tour in Argentina, and even in the audience "Long Way Down" sounded terrible

banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by banks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 pm

ManOf1000Faces wrote:
99.9% of negative comments don't seem to have seen KISS live in years and don't actually base their opinions on having seen the band live since the reunion or ever. If asserting facts is based on YT videos that clearly don't always sing sound and video correctly, it's just another example of people nowadays living vicariously through the web without actually participating in the real world.
For the most part they're not based on audio+video.

Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm

ManOf1000Faces wrote:
I saw KISS last in 2010, and still think they are lip syncing today.

Am I an outlier?

Or just a liar? :wink:

ManOf1000Faces
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ManOf1000Faces » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm

battra wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm
ManOf1000Faces wrote:
What if you saw them the last time they came to your town and still didn't like Paul's vocals?

You have my sympathy. I wasn't convinced until checking in on this site today. If that's what's happening, I don't think it's right.

battra

Post by battra » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:05 pm

ManOf1000Faces wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm
battra wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm
ManOf1000Faces wrote:

You have my sympathy. I wasn't convinced until checking in on this site today. If that's what's happening, I don't think it's right.
Paul hasn't been able to sing in years.

Now he's lip syncing.

It's a bad scene, man.

But.

No matter what...my copy of Alive! still sounds great and always will.

ManOf1000Faces
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ManOf1000Faces » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 pm
ManOf1000Faces wrote:
I saw KISS last in 2010, and still think they are lip syncing today.

Am I an outlier?

Or just a liar? :wink:
I think I stand corrected. If the regulars on this site are convinced, I believe it.

missingdiver
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by missingdiver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 pm

After Gene sees this thread he will come up with a new signal so no one can make a 100 show video of his arm going up in 100,000 years ha ha... worked great for Paul in DRC 8)

Im no hater...I love Kiss more than is probably a healthy amount, but as a musician who has had to play to clicks you spot this stuff lol....

banks

Post by banks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:19 pm

missingdiver wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 pm
After Gene sees this thread he will come up with a new signal so no one can make a 100 show video of his arm going up in 100,000 years ha ha... worked great for Paul in DRC 8)

Im no hater...I love Kiss more than is probably a healthy amount, but as a musician who has had to play to clicks you spot this stuff lol....
One possible signal could be saying "I lllike it" to the mic.

lord71

Post by lord71 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:43 pm

tmcfaddin wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 am
Hahahahaha!!! Everyone is a detective now....what a joke.
And you are still in denial. Right?
Let me guess, you feel like a 12 year old when you see the show with backing tracks?

alivecatman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by alivecatman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 pm

BC Witch wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am
For those who don't know how backing tracks works, I can explain. The pre recorded stuff is run from a computer programme that also sends a metronomic 'click track' to the performer's in ear monitors and any crew that need to hear it. This click track will have a count of (usually) 4 beats before the band have to start the song. Sometimes there's a count of 4 beats before that which just the drummer hears and they then count in (on the hi hats or stick clicks or a plain old '1,2,3,4!') and then the band come in. Assuming they start at the right place and keep to the click tempo (which continues in their ears through the whole song) any pre recorded elements will come in on time. Giveaways to bands using backing tracks are the drummer counting in when they never used to on previous tours or any odd pauses before songs whilst the band signals the monitor engineer to start the click track. Gene, in my opinion, is signalling for the click to start. Now, a lot of bands use a click track to sync lights and pyro but they also use it to keep in time for the use of backing tracks. Again, in my opinion, Paul is using pre recorded vocals for about 90% of his singing. I should point out that I am a professional touring musician and I have personal experience of working with a click track/backing tracks so I know what I'm talking about. It sucks that KISS is doing this, but there you have it.
FINALLY!!!!

I'e been saying this all along.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Gene picked his nose. Must be a signal to start the tape.

Since he has the bass intro into 100,000 years it could just be a signal for everyone else to kick in, doesn't mean it is to start a backing tape. It could also, as others said for a click track to keep everything in sync. This post is as funny as the person on here who thought the pickup selector switch on Tommy's guitar was to turn his microphone on and off. Haha!

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm

wise wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am
Is it actually a tape? I’d figure it’s a mp3. No?
The definition of "tape" and "taping" has definitely broadened. Like, you can be recording something with your smartphone, and say to your friend, "Wow, look at that, I'm taping this!"

Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm

alivecatman wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 pm
BC Witch wrote:
For those who don't know how backing tracks works, I can explain. The pre recorded stuff is run from a computer programme that also sends a metronomic 'click track' to the performer's in ear monitors and any crew that need to hear it. This click track will have a count of (usually) 4 beats before the band have to start the song. Sometimes there's a count of 4 beats before that which just the drummer hears and they then count in (on the hi hats or stick clicks or a plain old '1,2,3,4!') and then the band come in. Assuming they start at the right place and keep to the click tempo (which continues in their ears through the whole song) any pre recorded elements will come in on time. Giveaways to bands using backing tracks are the drummer counting in when they never used to on previous tours or any odd pauses before songs whilst the band signals the monitor engineer to start the click track. Gene, in my opinion, is signalling for the click to start. Now, a lot of bands use a click track to sync lights and pyro but they also use it to keep in time for the use of backing tracks. Again, in my opinion, Paul is using pre recorded vocals for about 90% of his singing. I should point out that I am a professional touring musician and I have personal experience of working with a click track/backing tracks so I know what I'm talking about. It sucks that KISS is doing this, but there you have it.
FINALLY!!!!

Obviously you two are haters, and don't like your families

8)

alivecatman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by alivecatman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm
alivecatman wrote:
BC Witch wrote:
FINALLY!!!!

Is it that obvious? lol

8)

BC Witch
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by BC Witch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm
alivecatman wrote:
BC Witch wrote:
FINALLY!!!!

I prefer the term 'Complainer', sung to the tune of 'Unholy'...

:mrgreen:

8)

tmcfaddin
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tmcfaddin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 pm

lord71 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:43 pm
tmcfaddin wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 am
Hahahahaha!!! Everyone is a detective now....what a joke.
And you are still in denial. Right?
Let me guess, you feel like a 12 year old when you see the show with backing tracks?
I'll probably feel that way when I go to the two shows I plan on seeing, and I damn sure don't spend all my time scouring youtube videos looking for Gene to raise his hand or Paul to wink at someone off stage.

BeholderFan
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by BeholderFan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm

BC Witch wrote:
Thank you very much for your explanation. I appreciate your taking the time to explain this to some of us who don't know how this works.

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:17 pm

soeuropean wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 am
HirtLockerHurts wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 am
and you know this for sure how? could be just one of his random arm movements he does
Yeah does it randomly at every single show on this tour and has never done it before. Good spotting. Just checked a bunch of shows on YouTube and you’re definitely right. He points sideways, they hit the clicktrack and he starts the riff.

Man, rock n roll used to be so easy.
You really are on a crazy witch hunt aren’t you!
Not a fan of the current band so you spend hours researching videos for lip sync fails. That says a lot about you I think...

ktalley84
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ktalley84 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Guys this is true. I saw Tommy scratch his balls every time right before his solo for Rock and Roll All Night. That means roll tape. It is so hilarious that these obsessed KISS fans are hating that this tour is successful that they have to start making crap.up. Rock on trolls

KISS FOREVER

StraightThruTheHeart
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:00 pm

ktalley84 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm
Guys this is true. I saw Tommy scratch his balls every time right before his solo for Rock and Roll All Night. That means roll tape. It is so hilarious that these obsessed KISS fans are hating that this tour is successful that they have to start making crap.up. Rock on trolls

KISS FOREVER
We're not surprised you're staring at Tommy's balls.

StraightThruTheHeart
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Mr Slow wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:17 pm
Not a fan of the current band so you spend hours researching videos for lip sync fails. That says a lot about you I think...
It says more that you're upset he can do that.

Muppet Butt
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Muppet Butt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Yeah he's definitely doing it. It could be to start tape but could also be just to let other members know that he's officially starting the song and not just more false intro starts?

rocksteady77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rocksteady77 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm

BC Witch wrote:

Love your username! What's your touring rig?!

Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:18 pm

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Mr Slow wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:17 pm
It says more that you're upset he can do that.
Show me where I said I was upset about it.

MONSTER MAGNET 420
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by MONSTER MAGNET 420 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:24 pm

banks wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 am
Paul does that finger thing here and there in DRC. Should become the new form of greeting between Kiss fans if it is a signal. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CHRIS ARMY

Post by CHRIS ARMY » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 pm

All of Gene's queues should be him saying into the mic, "True confession time."

wise

Post by wise » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

redinthesky wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 pm
wise wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am
Is it actually a tape? I’d figure it’s a mp3. No?
The definition of "tape" and "taping" has definitely broadened. Like, you can be recording something with your smartphone, and say to your friend, "Wow, look at that, I'm taping this!"
I think millennials go with ‘recording’, as I don’t believe they know what ‘taping’ is like us old fellas do.

wise

Post by wise » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:47 pm

‘Start the tape’

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lMLggNG2lI

AkuDrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AkuDrummer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 pm

wise wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:47 pm
‘Start the tape’

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lMLggNG2lI
THANK YOU!

I’m not at home so I couldn’t really search around for a clip but I wanted to see Gene do the alleged “point”!

soeuropean
Banned
Banned

Post by soeuropean » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:17 pm

CHRIS ARMY wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 pm
All of Gene's queues should be him saying into the mic, "True confession time."
Hello blooby.

jbromusic
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by jbromusic » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 am

ZachAttack wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 pm
A band at KISS' level has a more sophisticated way of cueing backing tracks than Gene pointing his arm out. They've been using click tracks to trigger pyro and shit for years, they know how to do it. The only difference is now there are vocals in there too now. 100,000 Years starts with Gene playing the 2 notes on the bass with a pause in between, so it would be nearly impossible to get those 2 notes, then the pause, then the 2 notes, then the main bass riff synced up with a click. The click probably starts right when the drums kick in
The count-in of the click track starts when his arm is up in the air

soeuropean
Banned
Banned

Post by soeuropean » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 am

Yeah. He sticks his hand in the air, they all hear the click in their ear count off 4 beats to the tempo and then Gene starts the riff. It would be an absolute nightmare to hit it when the drums come in, it just wouldn’t work. The click has to set the tempo and everyone plays to it. Firing it off in the wrong place causes errors like that Psycho Circus thing last week.

banks

Post by banks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:45 am

jbromusic wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 am
ZachAttack wrote:
A band at KISS' level has a more sophisticated way of cueing backing tracks than Gene pointing his arm out. They've been using click tracks to trigger pyro and shit for years, they know how to do it. The only difference is now there are vocals in there too now. 100,000 Years starts with Gene playing the 2 notes on the bass with a pause in between, so it would be nearly impossible to get those 2 notes, then the pause, then the 2 notes, then the main bass riff synced up with a click. The click probably starts right when the drums kick in
The count-in of the click track starts when his arm is up in the air
Yeah, it looks like Gene is really concentrating on the tempo right before he starts playing the bass riff. Or maybe it's what I want to see.

eiricd
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by eiricd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 am

alivecatman wrote:
BC Witch wrote:
FINALLY!!!!

another voice of reason. great input

AphelionAxeMan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AphelionAxeMan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 am

I'm REALLY perplexed why this is such a big deal. Canned tracks or no canned tracks, if you're playing to a click you need to know when to start the song, and whoever is offstage running the click needs to know when everyone's ready for it. Whoever is ultimately in charge of starting the song (the drummer 9 times out of 10) signals to the monitor engineer or whoever's running the click track when to start it. I guarantee Eric's doing this on almost every song. Gene just does it on this one because the song starts with just him.

This is literally like, "day one of learning how to run a live show" material for most bands and crews. This isn't even directly related to the vocal tracks, it would be exactly the same if Paul was singing live but they still decided to play to a click.

Mr. Blackwell

Post by Mr. Blackwell » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:33 am

I'm not sure what the 'Gotcha!' moment of this thread is; lip syncing aside, did anyone think Kiss wouldn't be using a click track for a show as elaborate as theirs? And I don't agree that Eric is enjoying this tour any less; a Kiss show has always had a lot to keep up with; playing with a click is likely the least of his concerns. Besides, the show would be much more difficult to execute without it. It's actually making his job easier.

I also don't get why there's so much mystery around this either. In Ear Monitor (IEM) tracks have been online for years, and it's not rocket science.

Here is The Edge's IEM from the song Magnificent, posted back in 2011. (Interesting they have a shaker subdividing the beat into sixteenth notes and that Bono's speech pattern before the song is pretty much with the click.)

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYt0LKuL2Po

Also Kiss isn't the first (nor will they be the last) to have errors with clicks and backing tracks. It's early in the tour, anyway, so most mishaps will get sorted out.

This is Van Halen doing Jump back in 2007 with the keyboard on a backing track. Probably due to a sampling rate error on the playback computer, the track played a half step higher, in the key of Db. The result is a train-wreck/Spinal Tap moment, but the show (and tour) must go on.

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4

PUNCHLINE

Post by PUNCHLINE » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 am

bassmansteiny wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm
This post is as funny as the person on here who thought the pickup selector switch on Tommy's guitar was to turn his microphone on and off. Haha!
Seriously? Someone said that?!

soeuropean
Banned
Banned

Post by soeuropean » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:06 am

Mr. Blackwell wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:33 am
This is Van Halen doing Jump back in 2007 with the keyboard on a backing track. Probably due to a sampling rate error on the playback computer, the track played a half step higher, in the key of Db. The result is a train-wreck/Spinal Tap moment, but the show (and tour) must go on.

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4
Not right. That's the same keyboard part they always used on that tour. Wolf and Roth are perfectly in tune with that keyboard part. Someone gave Ed a guitar in the wrong tuning. And Ed didn't notice and/or his tech didn't have the balls to run out and make him change guitars. It was fucked up for the previous song as well, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. And there's no keyboard track on that.

You can tell the guitar is out of tune from the first note. And listen to the big chord he's playing at the very end - any guitarist will tell you instantly that the strings aren't even in tune to themselves.

It's the guitar, not the track.

You don't have a "sampling rate error on the playback computer" at something like this. The tracks are the tracks. They're set up and left. It's playback only, they're not in a position to get altered on the fly or have someone hit the wrong button and have it get fucked up.

Ikons

Post by Ikons » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:15 am

ZachAttack wrote:
A band at KISS' level has a more sophisticated way of cueing backing tracks than Gene pointing his arm out.
I mean, the start of the click track depends on Gene so who better to do a cue than Gene?