SBOE Show 13: 5/20/10 - Vienna

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

SBOE Show 13: 5/20/10 - Vienna

Post by Admin »

Discussion, meet-ups, set-lists, etc.

Set lists will be compiled HERE

Tour stats will be compiled HERE

Last edited by Admin on Sat May 22, 2010 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Speed
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mr. Speed »

Just got back from the show. Shortened setlist tonight, omitting no less than 3 songs ("Love Gun", "Lick It Up" and "Shout It Out Loud") for whatever reason. Still, a helluva show and an awesome crowd. LOVED Tommy on "Shock Me", and you can flame me all you want for that. :twisted: My wife saw Kiss for the first time tonight (from a great seat in the back of the venue, while I was standing not too far away from the stage), and she enjoyed it a lot. Bought her a "Kiss Army" logo tanktop, and we also got the USB stick of the concert (very nicely packaged). Gotta get some sleep now, as I have a hard day at work ahead of me starting at 7 a.m. Good night.
Paulstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Paulstar »

IT STARTED WITH ABUMP ON MY ASS!! cool
asamford
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by asamford »

A KISS show without Love Gun???? I don't believe it.
bcrox123
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bcrox123 »

or shout it out loud
asamford wrote:A KISS show without Love Gun???? I don't believe it.
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Shane_Penney »

I bet Pauls' voice was an issue. I heard a few youtube clips and it sounded worse than most of the rest of the current tour.
Trance
Banned

tr

Post by Trance »

Wow when was the last time KISS did a show without "Love Gun" and "Shout It Out Loud"?
asamford

Re: tr

Post by asamford »

Trance wrote:Wow when was the last time KISS did a show without "Love Gun" and "Shout It Out Loud"?
well they dropped Shout It Out Loud from the London club gig, but it doesn't surprise me as much as Love Gun, Shout It wasn't a staple of the set throughout most of the 80's like Love Gun was, Love Gun has been played at pretty much every KISS show since the Love Gun album came out....
Trance
Banned

re

Post by Trance »

Paul's definitely not himself tonight, he's not even singing backup on "I'm An Animal" ... it's actually one of the better versions I've heard but Paul barely moves at all the whole song.

rscott71

Post by rscott71 »

A KISS show without Love Gun is rarer than a less than 10 page thread about Tommy Thayer on the KISSFaq
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

After watching that YouTube clip, I'm pretty certain it was a Paul 'issue'. He does barely move and he doesn't make almost any effort to sing backup vocals. Something definitely seemed 'off' about him. And when they just magically cut 3 songs from the set -- one of them being "Love Gun", you know something wasn't right with something or someone.

Coincidentally, while watching that YouTube clip, I think the thing that also stood out to me was Tommy. He really has come a long way. He's not a bump on a log out there; he really has found an on stage personality that he kinda lacked during the first couple of tours. With Paul doing almost nothing during that song, it really seemed that much more apparent to me. Tommy is really kicking arse these days and I'm proud of him. :thumright:
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

That sucks.

Now play Love Gun!
Fox_Mulder
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Is Paul ill again?? :(

Post by Fox_Mulder »

During yesterdays gig in Vienna sLick It Up, Shout It Out Loud and even love gun was dropped from the setlist.

He didn´t move as much and didn´t sing all the harmonies like earlier in the tour..
Detroit Rock City

I'm An Animal

PsychoKiss344

Re: Is Paul ill again?? :(

Post by PsychoKiss344 »

Fox_Mulder wrote:During yesterdays gig in Vienna sLick It Up, Shout It Out Loud and even love gun was dropped from the setlist.

He didn´t move as much and didn´t sing all the harmonies like earlier in the tour..
Detroit Rock City

I'm An Animal

hopefully he isnt ill
Paulstar
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Paulstar »

Droppin 3 SONGS IS HUGE!!!

PSYYCHOKISS334!!!! WELCOME TO THE SHOW!!....FAQ
coldgin2009
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by coldgin2009 »

lackluster.
Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Now what's he going to do when the crowd says "that's nice, now play love gun"?
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

Is Paul ill again?
Possible. Certainly plausible, considering the dropping of 3 Paul songs -- one his favorite, one among their top crowd-pleasers and and the other a steady anthem. He doesn't sound bad but the energy level seems low for him in those two clips.

Weird how he manages to get sick on so many tours. Maybe he doesn't wash his hands enough or he's been kissin' too many floozies. Then again -- suckin' on your fingers after handling a mic and guitar that's been passed around by Roadies...? Ick.
dute
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by dute »

Here's the list.

1. Modern Day Delilah
2. Cold Gin
3. Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
4. Firehouse
5. Say Yeah
6. Deuce
7. Crazy Crazy Nights
8. Calling Dr. Love
9. Shock Me
10. I'm An Animal
11. 100,000 Years
12. I Love It Loud
13. Black Diamond
14. Detroit Rock City
15. Encore:

15. I Was Made For Lovin' You
16. God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You II
17. Rock And Roll All Nite

VERY strange for them to exclude Love Gun.
I don't really want to speculate on health matters, especially going off a clip.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

They should drop Love gun all together.
LoveGun07

Post by LoveGun07 »

Liftyadress wrote:They should drop Love gun all together.
Say Whaaaaaaaaaa?!

:lol:
Destroyer14
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Destroyer14 »

LoveGun07 wrote:
Say Whaaaaaaaaaa?!

Say Yeah!!!!!!! :D
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

R&ROVER wrote:
I'd take that substitution for I STOLE YOUR LOVE every night.

It baffles me that THAT song is not a concert staple tour in and out.
Agreed !!
LoveGun07

Post by LoveGun07 »

Destroyer14 wrote:
LoveGun07 wrote:
Say Whaaaaaaaaaa?!

Say Yeah!!!!!!! :D
"Yeah.....Yeah.....Yeah :lol:

Now I am probably biased towards the song, but I think it is such a kick in the ass during a show that it can't be dropped.

I think it will be back
ColdGin
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ColdGin »

If they dropped 3 of the Paul songs....something is happening....
SureKnowSomething

Post by SureKnowSomething »

Was the show running late?
Mr. Speed
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mr. Speed »

SureKnowSomething wrote:Was the show running late?
Well, it did start later than most of the previous shows - around 9:05.

Here are some pics my wife made from the back, overviewing the crowd - sorry for that digital line running down on the left side of each photo; that's our shitty camera... :oops:

necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

This has me seriously questioning some things. At what point does Paul's lack of performance ability become an issue for the rest of the band? Is there ever going to be a point where he is going to come clean and be honest with the fans and himself about what's going on, or is his mere presence onstage automatically justify whatever happens, good or bad? And yes, I still think the man is, to a large extent, in denial.

It's one thing if Paul and Gene were playing out the string with a couple of fill-ins at a $15 a ticket shed. Unbelievably, they are still willing to charge an ever increasing top dollar rate to see a performance that has diminishing return after diminishing return. It's stunningly sad, really.

I doubt Paul will fully regret cashing in on the windfall the band is experiencing in terms of live ticket sales, but knowing how proud the man is of his musical ability, I can't help but wonder what he will think when he watches all the videos of these tours years later.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

Dude, it was one show. Other than his usual vocal issues, Paul brings his A-game every night. This was clearly more than singing troubles. If people can't deal the fact that his voice has lost a step and feel the show is not worth the money, they shouldn't pay to see them.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

They are all together in the encore right? That would indicate to me that it goes beyond the voice issues and he was probably feeling off.

THis is becoming more of an issue as they age - it's happened at one point or another on every tour since RTN i believe.

The end is near - I know some people are happy about it but for the remainder, I say enjoy it while you can, this could be the last tour.
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

KISSman24 wrote:Dude, it was one show. Other than his usual vocal issues, Paul brings his A-game every night. This was clearly more than singing troubles. If people can't deal the fact that his voice has lost a step and feel the show is not worth the money, they shouldn't pay to see them.
So is his mere presence onstage good enough for you at any given show?
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

The 2009 shows I saw were the band's best since 1996 despite Paul's vocal issues because, to me, it's just not the end of the world. Paul usually puts on a great show even when his voice is cracking. In Vienna, it seemed like he was not feeling physically well. Like I said, if people can't deal with his less-than-perfect voice, they should stay home. Meanwhile, the larger majority of us will enjoy ourselves at these usually fantastic shows.
Last edited by KISSman24 on Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trance
Banned

re

Post by Trance »

He really acts like he feels bad which means he must REALLY feel bad.
Mr. Speed
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mr. Speed »

Having witnessed last night's concert, I must say that I didn't worry nearly half as much about Paul as people on this board do now, just by watching those videos on YouTube. You know, it's not like he stood there at the same spot of the stage for two hours, coughing his lungs out or something. I thought his presence and moves were just fine, though his vocal performance may be a different matter. If Paul really wasn't well in Vienna, he still delivered a pretty good show under the given circumstances - and while I would have loved to hear the three extra songs (all of which are among my all-time fave Kiss tunes), I think some of you people are just reading a little too much into the band cutting their set a little shorter for this one night. :wink:
Red Yogurt Bath
Valde desideraberis
Valde desideraberis

Post by Red Yogurt Bath »

KISSman24 wrote:Dude, it was one show. Other than his usual vocal issues, Paul brings his A-game every night. This was clearly more than singing troubles. If people can't deal the fact that his voice has lost a step and feel the show is not worth the money, they shouldn't pay to see them.
I don't think you can make such a huge exclusion, when Paul's lead vocals have been the main thrust of Kiss concerts since day one. It's like saying "besides the wheel rims having no tires on them, the car drives fine"..
I love Paul, but he's not even singing, really.
Lands End Drums

Post by Lands End Drums »

Nice to know that everyone knows exactly what went down from a couple youtube clips. Who's to say there wasn't a curfew? The dude said they did start late. Wait for tonight's show and see if it becomes a trend then maybe you can start claiming the sky is falling...
Carnival Of Souls
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Carnival Of Souls »

Lands End Drums wrote:Nice to know that everyone knows exactly what went down from a couple youtube clips. Who's to say there wasn't a curfew? The dude said they did start late. Wait for tonight's show and see if it becomes a trend then maybe you can start claiming the sky is falling...
Good point. I'm surprised we haven't had a "Is The European Tour Being Cancelled" thread yet. :D
Lands End Drums

Post by Lands End Drums »

Carnival Of Souls wrote:
Lands End Drums wrote:Nice to know that everyone knows exactly what went down from a couple youtube clips. Who's to say there wasn't a curfew? The dude said they did start late. Wait for tonight's show and see if it becomes a trend then maybe you can start claiming the sky is falling...
Good point. I'm surprised we haven't had a "Is The European Tour Being Cancelled" thread yet. :D
LOL Or anyone saying Kiss 2.0 is definitely going ahead because of this...
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

Carnival Of Souls wrote:
The first line of my post indicated that I was seriously questioning some things, not that I had drawn conclusions. I do think it's a shame that KISS continues to charge top dollar for what can only be described as a sub-standard product. There was a standard for Paul's voice, and now this is sub-standard.

People bitch all the time about Peter especially being unable to hack it at his instrument at his age. I got news for you - Paul Stanley may very well be unable to hack it at his instrument (voice) these days. If you're willing to accept that sub-standard product, fine. Let's call it what it is - sub-standard. It takes away from the show. In my opinion, it takes away big time.

And yes, I saw KISS live in 2009.
KISSman24
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSman24 »

Red Yogurt Bath wrote:
I don't think you can make such a huge exclusion, when Paul's lead vocals have been the main thrust of Kiss concerts since day one. It's like saying "besides the wheel rims having no tires on them, the car drives fine"..
I love Paul, but he's not even singing, really.
Exclusion? I am wholely admitting that his voice is not the same and that people shouldn't go if they think that it makes seeing a KISS show not worth it. I just don't think they should shut it down because a few people think they should. I'm still willing to pay to see them and a lot of others are as well.

The thing is, his voice has been this way since 2008 and when you read the reviews of the shows that people on this forum post afterwards, they usually rave about the show. You'll often hear people say how Paul's voice was pretty good at their show because it sounds different in a live setting.

There are some people who are listening to YouTube and the Instant Live recordings and basing a lot of their opinion on those. When you are there, it just isn't as apparent. I remember when I saw the Philly show, I was thinking about how Paul's voice didn't sound as bad that night and later when I listened to the Instant Live, I realized how much of a difference there was to hearing him live to hearing him on a recording. If it sounds decent enough when you are there at the show, the rest doesn't really matter.
aob
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by aob »

necronomicon wrote:
Carnival Of Souls wrote:
The first line of my post indicated that I was seriously questioning some things, not that I had drawn conclusions. I do think it's a shame that KISS continues to charge top dollar for what can only be described as a sub-standard product. There was a standard for Paul's voice, and now this is sub-standard.

People bitch all the time about Peter especially being unable to hack it at his instrument at his age. I got news for you - Paul Stanley may very well be unable to hack it at his instrument (voice) these days. If you're willing to accept that sub-standard product, fine. Let's call it what it is - sub-standard. It takes away from the show. In my opinion, it takes away big time.

Then don't go see them in 2010.

Problem solved.
Trance
Banned

re

Post by Trance »

YEAH !!!
chrissinger
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by chrissinger »

aob wrote:
necronomicon wrote:
Carnival Of Souls wrote:

Then don't go see them in 2010.

Problem solved.
Paul on his WORST NIGHT dont compare to ole noodle arms so lets not go there and turn this into pure ignorance...........
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

Because my decision to attend or not attend a kiss show really addresses the issue, guys. Can we finally move beyond that part of the thread where people are told to shut up and move on?

I had high hopes that kiss and Paul in particular would figure out how to adapt their show around these limitations. However, it's clear to me that they don't seem interested. I don't understand how anyone wouldn't say that the fans don't ultimately suffer a worse and worse show.
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

necronomicon wrote:Because my decision to attend or not attend a kiss show really addresses the issue, guys. Can we finally move beyond that part of the thread where people are told to shut up and move on?
Look, will you guys just shut up and move on?

( :P )

I had high hopes that kiss and Paul in particular would figure out how to adapt their show around these limitations. However, it's clear to me that they don't seem interested. I don't understand how anyone wouldn't say that the fans don't ultimately suffer a worse and worse show.
There are ways in which Paul's making some smart decisions this year (singing IWMFLY in a lower octave, less shrill harmonies during choruses, etc.), and yet they're STILL not taking full advantage of the 4-lead-singer model NOR is Paul letting up with many of the yelling bits he does between songs. It also would be nice if he let Eric sing the higher harmonies in the pre-choruses of "Delilah," for example. But then on the other hand, they've made a really smart arrangement for "I'm an Animal" where everyone's singing within their own personal limits/ranges. So, it's a mixed bag.

As far as the fans suffering worse and worse shows, there were times I felt like that was happening back in the late 1990's, but ultimately people just seem to have a good time by and large.
Spirit
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Spirit »

Paul sounds awful live, and the same people who slammed Peter and Ace, do not slam Paul.
rscott71

Post by rscott71 »

Spirit wrote:Paul sounds awful live, and the same people who slammed Peter and Ace, do not slam Paul.
You are here to do it for them, as you do in every other single thread
blackdiamond77

Post by blackdiamond77 »

Spirit wrote:Paul sounds awful live, and the same people who slammed Peter and Ace, do not slam Paul.
After hearing last nights show I said his voice sounded bad....I'd still go though......
Deleted User 32

Post by Deleted User 32 »

Spirit wrote:Paul sounds awful live and the same people who slammed Peter and Ace, do not slam Paul.
Ok.

I'm guessing some people think differently about Paul than they do Ace and Peter. Not unusual. Personally, I'll let some people I know get away with more than I let others do. It's human nature.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

And the same people who are taking Paul to task gave Ace and Pete a free ride 12 years ago.