US "Alive 35" Show 13: 10/16/09 - Hampton

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

US "Alive 35" Show 13: 10/16/09 - Hampton

Post by Admin »

Discussion, meet-ups, set-lists, etc.
Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
dreamcatcher
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by dreamcatcher »

yep...going w/ M&G.
tommy_snot
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by tommy_snot »

I'll be there with Girl in tow!

I think I'm actually more excited for her than me.
mattitude
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mattitude »

I'll be there. Leaving tomorrow afternoon. Then stayin at the beach to party the rest of the weekend.
kingsideburns
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kingsideburns »

Hope you take pics!!!

'79...my 1st KISS show there :)
loveinchains46
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by loveinchains46 »

i went to the 13th show in dc and i have been jonesen to go to this one.but the money won't stretch that far.blew months worth of saved money to get shirts and programs and stuff.so enjoy guys and gals.don't hold back and remember the old sayin.you get out of it what you put into it.yell,stomp and scream and above all have alot of fun.
G6O6A6T
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by G6O6A6T »

two days off.. ill be the first to nay-say.. but I am feeling a new song coming on!
drgbootz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by drgbootz »

Anybody feeding back the events on this one?
djfrance
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by djfrance »

nothing?
Just_Lee

Post by Just_Lee »

Damn, do they have the internet in Hampton?
fifthdeadlyvenom
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by fifthdeadlyvenom »

Maybe they played 2 more SB songs and it was such a shocking, earth-shattering event that a black hole formed in the middle of the arena, sucking everyone in.
Just_Lee

Post by Just_Lee »

fifthdeadlyvenom wrote:Maybe they played 2 more SB songs and it was such a shocking, earth-shattering event that a black hole formed in the middle of the arena, sucking everyone in.
:lol:
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Somebody is doing an update at some point.

Oct. 16 - Hampton, VA - (Mattitude) COVERED COVERED COVERED

I hope the show was good.
dannyelectro
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by dannyelectro »

Just a general review of the show I found, sounds like their were no surprises at Fridays nights show.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/kiss-ro ... emory-lane

What was the attendance? Anybody?
Oggy-nator
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Oggy-nator »

Let's Go Rock and Roll!!!

Yeah, he obviously wasn't a fan since he was five :roll:
Trance
Banned

re

Post by Trance »

Ace gets mentioned more with Tommy wearing the "Spaceman" makeup than he did when he wore it.

Paul should take note of this "With KISS, it's not about the music. It's about the experience.", so play something new.
mattitude
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mattitude »

Hey all, I just got back from Hampton. Nothing new in the set but that's ok. While it would've been nice to hear some more new stuff besides Delilah it's hard to bitch when you're there in person and they are belting out the classics flawlessly. The band was super tight and I swear, despite all the crazy bitchin people do about Gene being a little overweight or Pauls moobs, these guys are just on. Amazingly perfect, I hope to be in half their condition when I get to their age.

I had a 4 hour trip and it poured rain the whole way and traffic dead stopped for a while when we got like 20 minutes away. I was about to lose it. Bad road trip, great concert. Just missed the intro and all but I've heard it many times. Got there right during Deuce so no complaints, I didn't realize they went on so early, a little before 9 I believe. That's crazy early for headliners, ha. A first I believe. A Friday night concert and it was over at 11 but they rocked it hard the whole time they were on stage. From there it was Strutter, Hotter Than Hell, C'mon and Love Me, She(the highlight of the night, love the song and the refrain tacked on the end plus i think this was my first time seeing it live. I could be wrong but I love that tune and it was special tonight.), Parasite, 100,000 Years(with a long jam in the middle of the song, pretty cool), Black Diamond, Rock n Roll All Nite, Shout It Out Loud, Detroit Rock City, I Love It Loud, Cold Gin, Love Gun, Lick It Up(with another extended jam session added to the already improvised jam session, basically they played it how they always do live with the extra jammin and they added more to it, very cool). I might be missing a song or two, I'm sure of it. My bud who met me there brought his camera to take pics and he'll send those to me tomorrow along with the set. I hit most of it but the order is a little off. I was in a hurry to get in since we were running late and I forgot to bring in my phone or anything to write down the set. But it was nothing different than they've been playing. I'll list all the songs in order in the set thread later.

I was surprised at a few things though, pleasantly too. Our seats on the diagram made it look like we were a little ways away but our seats were perfect, a great view. Just on the right corner from the straight stage view and 13 rows up in the bottom bowl a little above the stage level, perfect view! It had been forever since I'd been to an arena show as well. Over the summer it was all amphitheater and big club shows so a great arena show was a nice change. The other was the place was packed. It says the concert capacity of the Hampton Coliseum is 13,800. I'd say the stage knocked out around 3000 seats so I'd say there was between 10,000 to 11,000 people there. It was full, from the floor to the top with just an empty seat here and there. I don't know why I wasn't expecting it to be full but I'm glad it was, it just makes for an even better atmosphere. The crowd was great. Singing, some simple dancing and headbanging. There were quite a lot of young people there so it's good to see Kiss making an impact on a few more generations.

The stage is very cool to see in person. Considering most bands sets these days are just lights and a big cloth backdrop it's nice to see Kiss still putting in some effort on their stage. It might not be as bombastic as their 70's sets but the pics don't do it the justice as seeing it in person. Very cool I thought. I love all the pyro too. It's just something I don't see at shows much anymore.

They did quite a bit of jamming, I doubt it was improvised but 100,000 Years and Lick It Up were both really long with very cool, long jam sessions in the middle of each song. The mix was perfect. Pauls guitar was pretty much at the same volume as Tommys. I've seen Kiss live quite a few times live now and usually Pauls rhythm playing is low in the mix. It was nice to hear it perfect in the mix for once. Paul is an under rated player. But it was flawless. The guitars powerful, Genes bass was thick and heavy, and the MVP of the night for me was Eric Singer. He was perfect. I just love all the accents and fills he adds to the songs, his style is very cool. Also, they had a 3 day rest before tonights show and Pauls voice was fine the whole show which was great, maybe one or two bad notes but nothing bad at all and another great performance from Paul.

Overall it was a great night as expected. I got She and Hotter Than Hell which made my night, it's the little things, ha. Like I said earlier and like most people say it would've been nice to have some more songs off of SB or a little more variety but I can't complain because I just saw Kiss. And their classics are that way for a reason, because they are great songs. No way I can even think to complain when I'm there in the moment. I just enjoy the hell out of the songs, no matter how many times I've already seen them.

All in all a great night, sorry for the rambling review but I'm sleep deprived yet not tired at all. Drove the 4-5 hour trip from Roanoke to Hampton, watched the show, then turned right around and came back home as my friend who was with me had to be back this morning. Long day and night but worth every bit of it. I hope I'm wrong but I was hell bent on seeing this show because I just have a feeling this will be the last tour. Like I said I hope I'm wrong but it would've sucked for them to bow out peacefully after this tour and me not having seen them would've been tough. But I saw them and they were great. They still have it in spades so a Sonic Boom tour would be more than welcome. An updated set if they did that would be cool.

An awesome night. I hope all of you going to future shows enjoy them as much as I did tonight. They are still great after all these years, great times.
kingsideburns
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kingsideburns »

ManI loved you long write up!!! What a way to do it for us on here with you!!!

What a great time!!

:thumright:
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

mattitude
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mattitude »

They played the same set in the same order as the Washington DC show which was:

Deuce
Strutter
Let Me Go, Rock And Roll
Hotter Than Hell
Got To Choose
Modern Day Delilah
C'mon And Love Me
She / Tommy Solo
Parasite
100,000 Years
Gene Solo / I Love It Loud
Black Diamond
Rock And Roll All Nite
-----------------------------
Shout It Out Loud
Lick It Up
Cold Gin
Love Gun
Detroit Rock City

Hopefully my bud will hurry up and send me the pics i took.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

Shane_Penney wrote:Somebody is doing an update at some point.

I texted and tried. The hookup never came through though
mattitude
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mattitude »

warmachine731 wrote:
Shane_Penney wrote:Somebody is doing an update at some point.

I texted and tried. The hookup never came through though
Review and set above. Just waitin for my pics.