A Poll just for those who DID NOT purchase "Destroyer 45"

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

I didn't purchase "Destroyer 45" because:

Poll runs till Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:08 am

I just don't like "Destroyer."
4%
I already had/heard most of the music and didn't need any of it again.
25%
Too expensive to justify.
11%
I simply don't have the money at this time.
10%
I can listen for free on streaming platforms.
16%
No vinyl only option for the full collection.
5%
Budget limited, I'll get around to it.
6%
I'm the enemy.
2%
Not value for money.
6%
It wasn't impressive enough.
4%
I said "not another cent" long ago and am sticking to that.
9%
I hate KISS, I'm just here to annoy people.
2%

Total votes: 248

Julien
EXP20240130

A Poll just for those who DID NOT purchase "Destroyer 45"

Post by Julien »

My final poll on the subject, ONLY FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT purchase "Destroyer 45?" You've listened to many of us blather about the release for a week or more, so let's hear your voice! Why not?

I would ask, that if you vote in this poll, you take a few moments to post your reasons for that vote, to not just flippantly click a vote option, but to give it consideration.

Some may have multiple reasons, so select the option that most closely matches your reason.
Dankiss
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: A Poll just for those who DID NOT purchase "Destroyer 45"

Post by Dankiss »

I am generally not fan of deluxe editions or bonus material. I take albums the way producers and bands wanted them to be released. Simple as that. It would be wasting of money for me. I am perfectly happy with those 9 original songs + intro & outro.
pdf0427
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by pdf0427 »

For me, the extra non-music stuff has no value, so that automatically makes the price questionable. When the track list first came out, I was still interested because of the demos and the live show. The samples of the live show sounded very underwhelming. It's nothing I would ever listen to before many other shows. Most of the demos were unreleased for a reason, and were not significant upgrades over what I'd heard before. In the end, I would have been paying for a better version of It's The Fire, and maybe the book.
Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Where's Drago? »

I'm going caveat everything I say now hugely with the fact that I've begun to stream some of the items of interest from my Amazon Music account. That said...

...I clicked on 'Too expensive to justify'.

In itself, the content seems to be an excellent collection and decent value for money. I just value my money more.

Now KISS is almost entirely exclusively a heritage act, a legacy act, a historical recording artist, or whatever name you want to give them, I cannot justify being financially milked continuously.

But I have no problem it being product that's out there for others to purchase and enjoy. It's just not for me.

As I said, I have a passing enough interest to stream elements of it on my Amazon account (and unlike some, thoroughly enjoyed the novelty of having the Paris released officially, however the sonics are).

Unfortunately, my interest is waning because the band isn't staying current.

Cards on the table; I'm an unmasked-era fan. I discovered KISS with Lick It Up, and I was on my merry way to deep, excessive fandom from that point onward.

I had my heart broken in 1996 when the Reunion was announced, and didn't enjoy the whole charade of KISS in Donington in 1996. The MTV Brooklyn Bridge performance made me get my mojo back, and I ended up seeing KISS in Australia and at Finsbury Park and so on.

Psycho Circus clearly added to the pretence, even in 1998.

The sole UK date on that tour was FUCKING AWFUL. KISS ditched it's line-up for this shower of shit? It was depressing.

Then Ace and Peter are gone, and as much as I hated seeing Eric in make-up (I never had a problem with Tommy, go figure) I got on with it. They might be a heritage act, I thought, but at least they can play.

Then with Sonic Boom and Monster I felt I'd got some element of KISS back again. It's not all about bombs and make-up like folks have been levelling at us since the 70s, it's about producing new music.

Whether you enjoy that music or not is up to you. But the band were creative, active, staying relevant by producing new music.

I happen to love both of those albums.

But since then, almost a decade, we've been stuck in a heritage vortex again. Because of that, my fandom has reduced significantly, and my desire to own everything they release is to all intents and purposes out of the window.

The Destroyer 45 packaging looks great, and everything, but to me it was unjustifiable at this point.

I'm having way more fun discovering - or rediscovering - acts from the 1970s or 1980s and upwards that I ignored because of my KISS geekdom.

Why would I spaff the best part of £200 on a Destroyer box with tax and shipping, when I could be putting that cash to good use on original vinyl or reissued vinyl from other artists that would be 'new' to me.

In brief, I've moved on, financially and emotionally.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

I simply wouldn't have the room to get all these box sets by a single band. I'm am hoping for a Hotter than Hell boxset, although that probably won't happen. I am guessing there will be a gussied up version of the originals with a few extra tracks and demo's on a single cd (hopefully on vinyl) but mostly live stuff I gather, and I might just settle for that.

Also would probably go for a Lick it Up or Creatures boxset as well (again probably never happen). I wonder if Vinnie's involvement on those albums throws a wrench into those plans?
Tito

Post by Tito »

This particular album doesn't interest me enough to want more versions of it, and neither does CD as a format.

Some rather sardonic options in the poll there.
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

Tito wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:53 am Some rather sardonic options in the poll there.
Not in the slightest.
Kissoff
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Kissoff »

I said not another cent long ago and I'm sticking to that. I simply can't justify spending serious money on these guys anymore. A lot of my collection is of the used variety anyway of which I pay enough money each month just to store it. In a perfect world I would love to have this release but my world was turned upside down last year with a stroke putting me into a wheelchair. My ship has sailed.
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

Destroyer is over rated like RNR over and LG the best. Kramer is a better producer in my opinion.
Ezrin was the start of breaking up the band by replacing Ace without his knowledge.
Plus I don’t have a CD player anymore.
My car a Maserati doesn’t have one my home has Sonos so everything is streamed.
Plus I listened to it on Apple Music and wasn’t impressed, Destroyer Resurected is better.
The only thing worth it is Peters song ain’t none of your business.
The demos are eh, and I thought would feature the band not session players.
So to me it’s Kiss just being a hoax again using session players.
I only want to hear the band!
Tito

Post by Tito »

Julien wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 am
Tito wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:53 am Some rather sardonic options in the poll there.
Not in the slightest.
I see. So, "enemy" of what exactly?
The Good Dr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Good Dr »

I see no point and very little value in buying 'deluxe' editions of records I already own. Out takes, demos, alternate versions I have no interest in.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Not in my budget.
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Bruce »

I voted 'I am the enemy,' just to be cheeky! As for why I'm not buying Destroyer 45, I've nothing to play it on. Even if I did ... Beth, Detroit Rock City and God of Thunder are all that's decent on the album. Adding bonus tracks wouldn't entice me, either.

What would earn my interest, then? Ha! Something that could never happen: re-record all the instrumentals. Seriously! Get that tinny, 70's sound out of it, altogether. It can't ever be remastered out. And lower the purchase price of the damn thing ...
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

Tito wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:58 am
Not in the slightest.
Seriously?

Gene. Pre-release interview comment that was repeated here as a reason for cancellation of orders. Did that comment have an effect on people's plans? Is there a consequence to his words?
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I went with budget limited, I’ll get around to it.

It’s getting close to Christmas and I have other expenses right now. My brother has it on order, so I will get to check it all out. It’s possible I’ll pick it up at a later time. I also have other non KISS stuff on my wish list at the moment.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Julien wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 am
Not in the slightest.
Seriously?

Gene. Pre-release interview comment that was repeated here as a reason for cancellation of orders. Did that comment have an effect on people's plans? Is there a consequence to his words?
:P D'oh! Yeah, I didn't get that. 🤦
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Tito wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:53 am This particular album doesn't interest me enough to want more versions of it, and neither does CD as a format.

Some rather sardonic options in the poll there.
My favorite choice was, “I hate KISS. I’m just here to annoy people”. :D
Christmas
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Christmas »

I’m the enemy.

FUCK YOU, GENE.
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

None of the above. I haven’t ordered it but plan on doing so. It looks awesome! I will love looking and reading all the extras once I get it.
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

I bought it on vinyl when I was a kid in 1976 and have bought in every other format since then, add in the remasters and Resurrected and it's ridiculous. Some cool goodies in the package but I personally don't care about having them. But I think it's well done if you want it
lord71

Post by lord71 »

Several reasons:

1. Can listen it free on Spotify/Youtube (EDIT: my vote)
2. Don't have enough dough to invest into it
3. Sold my KISS collection (most of it) and makes no sense to purchase it due to 2.
Last edited by lord71 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Voted - Streaming platforms.

I love Destroyer. It’s a Top 5 album for me. Also:

•I ain’t a completist. Kizz is my favorite band, & I only own 8 vinyl records. Not necessarily my favorite ones, just ones I’ve acquired over the decades. Might sound crazy to some FAQ members. But I have a budget, I’m a semi-Minimalist, & this 850 sq. ft. apartment is the biggest place I’ve ever lived.
•2 years in a row of 50% pay - working half the year. 4th go round with Unemployment in the last 1.75 years. I am thankful I have a good life… but it’s not always an easy one.
•I always think about “selling the farm” & moving to Hawai’i. If that happens 1 year… it’ll be a “2 suitcases on a flight” move. Not a “pay $20K to have every possession shipped” move.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

Julien wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 am
Not in the slightest.
Seriously?

Link? I must've missed another frog coming from his mouth...
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

lord71 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:07 am Link? I must've missed another frog coming from his mouth...
Google it. I don't need anymore of that stuff here.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

I was initially excited about it but as time went on I gradually cooled for a few of the reasons you listed.

I've got multiple copies of Destroyer already. (strike one)

I'm not big on CDs. (strike two)

I can stream a lot of it already using my Amazon Unlimited account. (strike three)

Once I got to look at everything on a great unboxing video, that also had the unexpected effect of taking some of the thrill of discovery out of it. (Strike one at my next at bat.)

I may get it eventually, but for now, spending $200 on something I wasn't all that excited about didn't make sense. As I'm only a collector of what get's me excited, I bought a copy of KISS MTV Unplugged on vinyl instead that I can't wait to add to the collection. Woo hoo.
carlos
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by carlos »

I can't imagine what it would take for me to spend another penny on anything Kiss. I still haven't even looked up the Daisy footage from years ago, and that was free!

My interest is purely out of habit, I like the minutiae.
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

richardsimmons wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:07 am I always think about “selling the farm” & moving to Hawai’i.
OMG. I fell in love with Hawai’i. Can't wait for my next visit and further explorations of the culture, scenery and food.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Julien wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 am
richardsimmons wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:07 am I always think about “selling the farm” & moving to Hawai’i.
OMG. I fell in love with Hawai’i. Can't wait for my next visit and further explorations of the culture, scenery and food.
Hell ya. We agree. This possibility is always in the back of my mind when I make purchases. That’s how OCD I am! 😂 I’ve only been to O’ahu & Maui 3x. Cannot wait to get to Kauai & the Big Island.

If my dream can happen in the 2040s, I’d be happy to buy you a buncha tiki drinks there. Cheers! 🍹🍹🍹 -Rich
jestor92
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jestor92 »

If I get it I would want the deluxe with the live show and at $200 I think it’s to expensive. I’ll probably get it off Amazon at some point.
belgiankissarmy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by belgiankissarmy »

I'm not buying cd's anymore so there was no point in buying the box set. The separate vinyl is not enticing enough on its own. I'm also not into reissues a lot. I'd rather spend my money on original pressings of albums.
Goodwilltowardsall
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

I heard the Spotify version and I still find Destroyer to be a tedious listen. I remember buying it when it came out after loving Alive and quickly losing interest in the album and KISS. If I want to hear something similar in that Bob Ezrin vein, I could put on Killer or Billion Dollar Babies or even Schools out by AC. Glad you like it, enjoy. Sorry to upset the orthodoxy about KISS.
turbodrive
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by turbodrive »

I chose "I already had/heard most of the music and didn't need any of it again." But really, I'm downsizing and not buying box sets anymore. I've found that I usually listen to the music a couple of times, enjoy the extras while doing so, and then they get put away. I've got a NM original vinyl pressing of Destroyer and that's good enough. That said, it was tempting to buy this as it looks like a really well put together package.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Several reasons..

1) I love "Destroyer", but it's not my favorite KISS album.

2) Most of the demos and outtakes, I already own and have heard. And two of the new demos I've heard aren't that impressive.

3) Too many repeats and mixes of the same songs.

4) I don't own a Blu Ray player..and I've read the reviews that the live Paris 76 concert (audio wise) isn't that great.

5) No DVD of a clear "Destroyer" era concert included. (Anaheim, Jersey City).

6) The box set is already on You Tube.

7) I'm saving my money for the Prince "Parade" Super Deluxe box set coming out in 2022. At least with that, I'll be hearing plenty
of tracks I've never heard before. Plus extra goodies included.

..and I've already heard (from a few folks that are in the know) that the next KISS box set is already in the works,
and its going to be "spectacular"...I hope so. Take it for what it's worth.

For those who have purchased "Destroyer 45", Congrats and I hope you all enjoy it.
*Chameleon*
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by *Chameleon* »

I'll wait until they're on sale next year.
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

• Should have gone out and said if the plan is to release more (Metallica style) and if they are worth "collecting" to get the whole series, even if Destroyer isn't ones favorite and not worth buying as a stand alone.
  • Should have had vinyl in the box (or two editions - one with CD and one with vinyl)
  • Releasing a fan recording as the live show is bafflingly laughable.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

I may buy the lowest level (single LP?) version to replace an aging copy of Destroyer. My Kiss vinyl is well loved, though I think I could get by just fine with a 2014 reissue versus something from the deluxe edition.

For now, it's Spotify. I like hearing the demos but really don't need more physical Kiss products in my life. I would change that opinion for a non-make up box set or something that's a bit more fan-oriented, though. The Elder stuff was a sign that maybe, just maybe, we'll see more special editions for the 1980s albums. A Revenge deluxe edition would also get my money in a heartbeat.
styxter

Post by styxter »

I just don't get excited over this stuff anymore in my old age. Especially the originals. There is nothing more for me that is exciting about original Kiss. Give me a deluxe set from Creatures forward and thats another story...
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StrangestWay »

second (and so far most popular) option. Just wasn't enough new/unheard/unearthed musical content there to justify a purchase (and I would've happily bought CD...I still love the format).
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

None of the above. Generally, I find myself listening to less music these days. I don't feel the need to buy something, listen to it once, and perhaps never listen to again.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Dankiss wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:18 am I am generally not fan of deluxe editions or bonus material. I take albums the way producers and bands wanted them to be released. Simple as that. It would be wasting of money for me. I am perfectly happy with those 9 original songs + intro & outro.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. I'm just not into all this deluxe reissue stuff. I love Destroyer the way it is and that's enough. I don't need or want a fancy extended version or remix.
El_Diablo_Loco
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by El_Diablo_Loco »

I already have Destroyer on vinyl and CD. Didn't see the need to buy this. If I bought everything KISS released, I'd be flat broke and living in a cardboard box.
guitardiet
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by guitardiet »

Only interested in the Steve Wilson mixes. I already own the Paris 76 show. Had it for years. Luckily, a member here hooked me up with the Atmos disc.
battra

Post by battra »

For me, the fact that there's no vinyl only option makes it a non-starter.

Apart from the CD player in my car, I don't own a CD player anymore.

I'm not big on the giant deluxe boxes, from any band, but put enough stuff at a good price and I can be swayed.
So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by So Cruel »

I have Spotify so no need to buy it. I did listen to some of those extra songs and wasn’t really impressed with any of them.
Kelbek
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kelbek »

Would love to have the box set, but can't afford it.
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

voted #2

KISS to me is not a band that I want to investigate the demos of ... like Prince for example.
Their demos are basically song sketches on which the roadies (!) played the instruments, so ...

They are a visual band and the visual content of the super deluxe was definetely the right direction and done very nice but - also the price tag was a factor - didn't tip me over. A better audio bootleg, a DVD of a remastered concert would have been nice, some behind the scenes (if available). Maybe moving up in the catalog, stuff like this will be more realistic?

I will eventually get the remastered Destroyer 45 CD.
YesterdaysLegend
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by YesterdaysLegend »

Can you see the results somehow without answering? Would like to see but i bought it and still waiting for KOL
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

I am sure it was just added for humor or cynicism, but no one here hates KISS and is just here to annoy people.

Nobody gives a shit about KISS outside of the bubble of KISS Army freaks that know every bit of minutiae about the band like most people here know.
Avidfan
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Avidfan »

For me, I wasn't all that interested in the audio stuff, but it was the $$.
I loved all the extras and posters in it and almost pulled the trigger just for those but the box would have just sat in a corner of my office, so for that, too expensive for me.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Several reasons are listed in the poll for me, but "not value for the money" kinda covers it all. It's certainly impressive looking, but it's already overly priced as it is, and moreso after you start subtracting the sorry-ass demos & amateur live recording. My Amazon Music Unlimited account will suffice for me.