I Have Now Experienced The Worst Hamburger In My Life

Pretty much any non-KISS or music topic goes here; It's suggested that users avoid opening topics they might be offended by or not want to participate in. Ignorance can be bliss...
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

I Have Now Experienced The Worst Hamburger In My Life

Post by Grand Classic »

Greetings,

So my wife and I live in Canada and this new restaurant opened up called Jollibee. I am now aware that it is a chain in the US and other countries, but at the time - I had no idea what Jollibee was.

My wife was doing some errands, saw Jollibee and decided to pick up some hamburgers. There was a line outside the place, so she figured this place must be great.

This was the most disgusting excuse for food that I have ever experienced. This cannot be cow. If I was told that it was secretly a mouse burger, I would honestly believe it. It was just disgusting and I had to spit it out. I swear this is not hyperbole at all.

Doing some further research into Jollibee, it seems to be a quite a common online view that their food across the board is the worst and yet people are eating there to the point that there are restaurants all over the place. I just don't get it. I mean sure McDonalds isn't a great burger either, but it is a million times more edible than this shit.

Has anyone here tried Jollibee?

What is the worst hamburger you have ever had?
AstroWarped
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: I Have Now Experienced The Worst Hamburger In My Life

Post by AstroWarped »

First time I have heard of Jollibee.

Worst would probably be the old Winky's for being a tiny pattie.
KISSTRONAUT
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I’ve only heard of them via media. Never been to one or seen one. Doesn’t sound very promising yet I still feel compelled to try. I know…..I don’t know why.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:28 pm I’ve only heard of them via media. Never been to one or seen one. Doesn’t sound very promising yet I still feel compelled to try. I know…..I don’t know why.
Please do if you ever get a chance. I understand the notion of wanting to try something that other people say is the worst - you think: is it really as BAD as they say?
KISSTRONAUT

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:50 pm
KISSTRONAUT wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:28 pm I’ve only heard of them via media. Never been to one or seen one. Doesn’t sound very promising yet I still feel compelled to try. I know…..I don’t know why.
Please do if you ever get a chance. I understand the notion of wanting to try something that other people say is the worst - you think: is it really as BAD as they say?
Yes. Humans are funny that way. :)
richardsimmons
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Very popular fast food restaurant. Nobody eats the burgers. Everybody loves the fried chicken & sweet spaghetti.

The peach mango pies & ube pies are good, & those are the only things I’ve personally had in recent years as a vegetarian.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

richardsimmons wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 pm Very popular fast food restaurant. Nobody eats the burgers. Everybody loves the fried chicken & sweet spaghetti.

The peach mango pies & ube pies are good, & those are the only things I’ve personally had in recent years as a vegetarian.
My wife brought home some fried chicken as well. Bottom of the barrel fried chicken - although certainly more edible than the mouse burgers.

Did not try the spaghetti though. Seems odd for a place to focus on burgers, fried chicken and....spaghetti.

The reviews for this place are horrid, so I am perplexed how they are popular. It can't JUST be the general public having the worst taste in food. I mean that's a given, but this is really bad.
KISSTRONAUT

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I’m unable to post a video right now but YouTube has a short clip of the late Anthony Bourdain eating at Jollibee. It’s apparently a Philippines based chain.
Potato Salad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Potato Salad »

I had Jollibee chicken once and it was okay. Nothing to write home about.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 pm I’m unable to post a video right now but YouTube has a short clip of the late Anthony Bourdain eating at Jollibee. It’s apparently a Philippines based chain.
Thanks - Bourdain is great and I checked it out. I am shocked by his response, especially coming from him and the considering the brutal reviews that this place has all over the internet for their food as well.

Perhaps the American chain is of higher quality than the ones in Canada, because the hamburgers were just disgusting. My wife agreed as well. Or maybe Filipino food just isn't for me.

I really want you to try it now. I know you said you have never seen one - but is there a location even an hour away that maybe one day you can go to if you are doing errands for other stuff in that same area?
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of Jollibee. I’ll look them up and see if there are any locations close to me.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

So I looked them up and the closest location to me is about 5 hours away. Looks like I’ll be passing on Jollibee. From your description, GC, it doesn’t sound like it’s worth a 5 minute drive much less 5 hours.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Never had it...but I feel like I just recently read this joint's name somewhere and I can't remember what it was for.

I like checking out new places I hear about, but this will be one I think I'll avoid should I ever come across it...even though I'm mildly curious what a mouse burger tastes like. Curious, but not sure I actually want to find out. There are none in my state anyhow.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:25 am Never had it...but I feel like I just recently read this joint's name somewhere and I can't remember what it was for.

I like checking out new places I hear about, but this will be one I think I'll avoid should I ever come across it...even though I'm mildly curious what a mouse burger tastes like. Curious, but not sure I actually want to find out. There are none in my state anyhow.
Do you have a worst hamburger in your area?
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

I was about to say being in the UK obviously I've never heard of it, but a quick Google suggests there are a few over here (though not places I'd frequent).

It looks more like a KFC rip off to me - all chicken buckets, chicken burgers, etc
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:59 am Do you have a worst hamburger in your area?
A lot of people would probably say White Castle, but I kinda like them. You just have know going in they're not really burgers. If you're looking for an actual burger, White Castle is NOT the place to go.

Otherwise, I've had a lot of hit and miss experiences at fast food joints where one time it's pretty good, all things considered, but then another time it's fucking disgusting. Like Burger King...when they're on, they're probably my favorite cheap burger fast food...but I've had some pretty fucking abysmal experiences there, too. It is possible you just had one of those at Jollibee...but they're probably not good enough either way to find out if that was indeed the case.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:59 am Do you have a worst hamburger in your area?
A lot of people would probably say White Castle, but I kinda like them. You just have know going in they're not really burgers. If you're looking for an actual burger, White Castle is NOT the place to go.

Otherwise, I've had a lot of hit and miss experiences at fast food joints where one time it's pretty good, all things considered, but then another time it's fucking disgusting. Like Burger King...when they're on, they're probably my favorite cheap burger fast food...but I've had some pretty fucking abysmal experiences there, too. It is possible you just had one of those at Jollibee...but they're probably not good enough either way to find out if that was indeed the case.
You mean the White Castle movies lied to me???? I thought it was THE place to go. :)

We don't have those in Canada, but I would have wanted to try them.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:13 am You mean the White Castle movies lied to me???? I thought it was THE place to go. :)

You might be too old to appreciate them, honestly, and I don't mean that to be offensive. Just, IMO, they're kind of an acquired taste you have to develop either from childhood or drunken bar-close trips. Going in fresh as a middle-aged dude, you'd probably find it disgusting...especially if you're a guy with more of a pallet for fine dining.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:24 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:13 am You mean the White Castle movies lied to me???? I thought it was THE place to go. :)

You might be too old to appreciate them, honestly, and I don't mean that to be offensive. Just, IMO, they're kind of an acquired taste you have to develop either from childhood or drunken bar-close trips. Going in fresh as a middle-aged dude, you'd probably find it disgusting...especially if you're a guy with more of a pallet for fine dining.
I mean I try to avoid McDonalds as much as possible, but once in a while I might grab something - but it really isn't good food. Is White Castle even below McDonalds?
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:29 am I mean I try to avoid McDonalds as much as possible, but once in a while I might grab something - but it really isn't good food. Is White Castle even below McDonalds?
They're two very different things. If you're looking for a proper burger, McD's is much closer, as sad as their burgers are. Like I said, it's an acquired taste. If you haven't acquired it, yes, it's probably worse than McD's. But if you have, then Whitey's is way better!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:39 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:29 am I mean I try to avoid McDonalds as much as possible, but once in a while I might grab something - but it really isn't good food. Is White Castle even below McDonalds?
They're two very different things. If you're looking for a proper burger, McD's is much closer, as sad as their burgers are. Like I said, it's an acquired taste. If you haven't acquired it, yes, it's probably worse than McD's. But if you have, then Whitey's is way better!
I want to try it even more now. I just checked to make sure none have opened up in Canada and that is still the case, but I can buy them frozen at Walmart. I am sure it isn't the same though.

joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:43 am I want to try it even more now. I just checked to make sure none have opened up in Canada and that is still the case, but I can buy them frozen at Walmart. I am sure it isn't the same though.
Ehh, they're comparable. It's no bacon double and a sack of onion chips and/or motz sticks you'd get in person...but they're reasonably comparable to what you'd get if you ordered the same thing there. I like the frozen ones for lunch at home or work once in a while.
Mystogan

Post by Mystogan »

Never heard of Jollibee. The closest ones to me are in Winnipeg, and that's many hours away.

The worst burger I can remember was at a Hardee's in Superior, Wisconsin. Now, maybe it was just a bad location or a bad day for them but jeez man it was not right and it did not make me feel right after :cry:

We have a very depressing Burger King in my city that is certifiably not good. Everytime you get cold ass food and just, nasty stuff.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Hardee's is another super inconsistent one! In recent years they've apparently tried upping their game to be more competition with Culvers and the like than, say, McDonalds...and when they're on, I've actually had some pretty impressive fast food burgers there. But I've also had some of the worst fast food crap on other occasions there, too. Unfortunately they tend to lean toward the suck side on the consistency scale.
KISSTRONAUT

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:22 pm
KISSTRONAUT wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 pm I’m unable to post a video right now but YouTube has a short clip of the late Anthony Bourdain eating at Jollibee. It’s apparently a Philippines based chain.
Thanks - Bourdain is great and I checked it out. I am shocked by his response, especially coming from him and the considering the brutal reviews that this place has all over the internet for their food as well.

Perhaps the American chain is of higher quality than the ones in Canada, because the hamburgers were just disgusting. My wife agreed as well. Or maybe Filipino food just isn't for me.

I really want you to try it now. I know you said you have never seen one - but is there a location even an hour away that maybe one day you can go to if you are doing errands for other stuff in that same area?

Bourdain has a strange resemblance to my father who passed away in ‘94. We weren’t super close but I felt a familiarity with Bourdain because of it. I also like, that although Bourdain knew food well and ate exotic and high end fare, he always appreciated cheaper food and comfort food.

When I get a chance to eat Jollibee I’ll be sure to give you my opinion. From watching YouTube clips I tend to agree with you that it doesn’t look terribly appealing.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:31 pm

Bourdain has a strange resemblance to my father who passed away in ‘94. We weren’t super close but I felt a familiarity with Bourdain because of it. I also like, that although Bourdain knew food well and ate exotic and high end fare, he always appreciated cheaper food and comfort food.

When I get a chance to eat Jollibee I’ll be sure to give you my opinion. From watching YouTube clips I tend to agree with you that it doesn’t look terribly appealing.
I am sorry to hear about your father.

You are right about Bourdain there. He never tried the Waffle House before and was pretty much blown away.

Were you a big fan of Bourdain?
KISSTRONAUT

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:36 pm

You are right about Bourdain there. He never tried the Waffle House before and was pretty much blown away.

Thank you. Yeah I liked him and his show. I loved his attitude. He was such a unique guy.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Thank you. Yeah I liked him and his show. I loved his attitude. He was such a unique guy.
Have you seen these Raw Craft mini-episodes?

Raw Craft is an online film series from The Balvenie celebrating all things craft, from hand-tailored suits to cast iron skillets to snare drums made out of whisky casks. The series followed host Anthony Bourdain across America celebrating some of it's most talented and dedicated craftspeople.

They are just 10 minutes or so, but fascinating. Playlist here:

KISSTRONAUT

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm
KISSTRONAUT wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Have you seen these Raw Craft mini-episodes?

Raw Craft is an online film series from The Balvenie celebrating all things craft, from hand-tailored suits to cast iron skillets to snare drums made out of whisky casks. The series followed host Anthony Bourdain across America celebrating some of it's most talented and dedicated craftspeople.

They are just 10 minutes or so, but fascinating. Playlist here:

No I haven’t. I’ll check it out. Thanks!
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:43 am
I want to try it even more now. I just checked to make sure none have opened up in Canada and that is still the case, but I can buy them frozen at Walmart. I am sure it isn't the same though.

I don't care what anyone says, White Castles are awesome. They are the "B-movie" of burgers. The perfect burger to end a night out, or to watch a great cult movie to. Of course when I say "burger," I mean at least four. Even the frozen ones are great. Never heard of Jollibee actually but would trust your take.
Potato Salad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Potato Salad »

White Castle gets the most bang for your buck. 10 sliders for $6... not a bad deal.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

That Jollibees chain is opening up here too. I had a look at the menu - I doubt I'll be partaking as it looks rank.

There'll be the inevitable initial flurry due to it being well marketed and then it'll die down...shades of when the first Tim Horton's opened up a few years back and there literally were queues round the block.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm That Jollibees chain is opening up here too. I had a look at the menu - I doubt I'll be partaking as it looks rank.

There'll be the inevitable initial flurry due to it being well marketed and then it'll die down...shades of when the first Tim Horton's opened up a few years back and there literally were queues round the block.
Tim Horton's used to be decent back in the day, but the quality has plummeted in more recent years and they are just a terrible company in general.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:06 pm
Glasgow Kiss wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm That Jollibees chain is opening up here too. I had a look at the menu - I doubt I'll be partaking as it looks rank.

Tim Horton's used to be decent back in the day, but the quality has plummeted in more recent years and they are just a terrible company in general.
I never got the hype when it arrived TBH...just a mediocre coffee-shop chain that doesn't really offer anything that wasn't already available. The lure of the new I suppose. There are quite a few franchises of it around the place now and I certainly don't see any mad rush the way there was the first week or two in the central location.
AstroWarped
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AstroWarped »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:43 am

I have tried the White Castle in Las Vegas and I got the one with the jalapeno peppers and it was actually good, better than what I remember having at a White Castle in the early 1970's in Pittsburgh, near East Liberty. I believe it is a place for bands and artists now.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

I will say the best fast food burger I ever had but sadly discontinued was Carl's JR $6 chili burger. I don't have a worst.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I remember really liking Wendy's when I had them somewhere in the States - Baltimore maybe? - but whether I'm remembering them more fondly than they deserve I don't know. They're supposed to be expanding into the UK soon, so I suppose I'll find out.
steve

Post by steve »

Do Nando's chicken burgers count? Come for the peri peri sauce, stay for the salmonella.

If I can't finish something, you know it's bad.
41Mets

Post by 41Mets »

It often depends on which exact location you hit. McDonald's in Manhattan in N.Y. is much better than McDonalds in Queens where I live. KFC near me is not good but KFC in Georgia was outstanding. Jollibee is now in NYC and I have heard really good takes on the chicken. White Castle is a major tradition in this area and have always loved it. But like lots of fast food certain locations are spot on and others not quite as much. They are great at home from the supermarket if you know the recipe and what to add.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

I follow this channel and this was posted today. Thought you might like it. This channel does this sort of thing for many businesses.

joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 pm

I follow this channel and this was posted today. Thought you might like it. This channel does this sort of thing for many businesses.

Interesting video...except now I'm jonesin' for some Castle! Half tempted to drive out and grab some now. Most are open 24 hours...
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:19 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Interesting video...except now I'm jonesin' for some Castle! Half tempted to drive out and grab some now. Most are open 24 hours...
Do you buy them by the sack? How much are they for 30 or 100 burgers as stated in the video?
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:24 pm Do you buy them by the sack? How much are they for 30 or 100 burgers as stated in the video?
I don't. One, I like to get the bacon double sliders, which would be a bit much ordering those by the case. Two, I enjoy their sides too much to just do a suitcase of burgers...and a suitcase of burgers is more than enough food on its own. And three, my wife is not a fan and my kid eats like two so I don't have any use for that many. I would just buy the frozen ones if I were gonna load up on extras to eat at a later time.

But it looks like they're up to about a buck a piece with cheese these days (what kind of monster doesn't do cheese?) with minimal discounts, if any, for the cases. So there's really not much benefit to splurging for a case other than the nifty carrying case. I think we got a case of thirty with my dad, uncle, and brother once many years ago...I think they were also like 50 cents a pop back then.

I did resist the urge to go last night at midnight, though...but I think picking up some for lunch is probably mandatory today.