How Well Does The Destroyer Deluxe Have To Sell For Further Deluxe Editions?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

How Well Does The Destroyer Deluxe Have To Sell For Further Deluxe Editions?

Post by Grand Classic »

Greetings,

So the general consensus seems to be that the Destroyer Deluxe needs to sell well or else they will pull the plug on any further albums getting the same treatment.

The view being that if KISS can't sell well with an album that is generally viewed as being their best, then we probably won't see one for Unmasked or even Rock And Roll Over.

In this day and age though with album sales and how well deluxe editions sell in general, what level of sales do you think that actually means? Would 10K be enough first week sales and then whatever it sells after that?

I don't think 20K first week sales is reasonable for a deluxe edition vs. a new album for example, but who knows - it seems like most KISS fans are on board with this and want to get it unlike say Soul Station, which still sold 8K in the first week.

I think this is one aspect of KISS that most people would agree with here - it would be great to get a whole series of deluxe editions and I want that too, but it would seem everything is probably riding on Destroyer doing well.

So how well will Destroyer have to sell to make it worth it to them to continue in your opinion? Especially for them to do "lesser albums" that many people here would like to see - like The Elder or Hotter Than Hell?
Hi I'm Witz

Re: How Well Does The Destroyer Deluxe Have To Sell For Further Deluxe Editions?

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

I'm assuming this is a limited release so...all of them?
Grand Classic

Re: How Well Does The Destroyer Deluxe Have To Sell For Further Deluxe Editions?

Post by Grand Classic »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:47 pm I'm assuming this is a limited release so...all of them?
Perhaps they are only doing a small run, which is why it's not being sold on Amazon and every other website that sells albums as well.

Maybe destroyerrnro can shed some further light on this.
Starkiller1980
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Starkiller1980 »

Medium Well.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

I've thought about this also. It would surely boost sales if it were sold on Amazon and Wal Mart, etc...and if not, it must be a limited or exclusive to Kissonline release. As much as I would like a box set from each album up to Creatures, I just don't see how it could happen in a reasonable amount of time. Having a Destroyer standalone box set is fine but it does whet the appetite for more. So, everyone please buy it, lol!

The Monkees box sets I have purchased were limited to 5,000 copies or so each and they keep following those up and their only $80, so hopefully 5-20,000 sold at $200 will be enough to keep it going.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:47 pm I'm assuming this is a limited release so...all of them?
limited to as many as they can sell
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

Marty Scurll wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:10 pm I've thought about this also. It would surely boost sales if it were sold on Amazon and Wal Mart, etc...and if not, it must be a limited or exclusive to Kissonline release. As much as I would like a box set from each album up to Creatures, I just don't see how it could happen in a reasonable amount of time. Having a Destroyer standalone box set is fine but it does whet the appetite for more. So, everyone please buy it, lol!

The Monkees box sets I have purchased were limited to 5,000 copies or so each and they keep following those up and their only $80, so hopefully 5-20,000 sold at $200 will be enough to keep it going.
20k at $200, they would be jumping for joy.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

Well we don't know where they're at with any further box sets. They could be waiting to see how this one sells or they could be well on the way to having others ready or almost ready to go. It would sell more if it was an in store purchase where people could walk in or order it locally. Hopefully the KISS online availability is only for a while before Universal decides to make it easier for more fans to get.
richardsimmons
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I’d guess that if this Destroyer set sold 10,000 copies in the first week, they’d roll out some others. Because after the package is designed well… P+G would view this as free money.

In order, I think that these ones would be the most interesting:

2 - Hotter Than Hell
8 - Creatures of the Night
3 - Lick It Up
6 - Dynasty
13 - Carnival of Souls ⭐️
14 - Unmasked

I also noted my personal ranking in the list, to illustrate that I’m not simply picking my most favorite records. I’m picking the ones that I think would make the best box sets. Out of these 6 picks, only 2 are in my Top 5.

I ⭐️‘d CoS because it is completely unrealistic. I could never imagine P+G putting this effort into a product for any of the 1984 - 1998 records. Ever.
(If I was proven wrong, that would rock! But I just don’t see it.)
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

sicksickphil wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:25 pm
Marty Scurll wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:10 pm I've thought about this also. It would surely boost sales if it were sold on Amazon and Wal Mart, etc...and if not, it must be a limited or exclusive to Kissonline release. As much as I would like a box set from each album up to Creatures, I just don't see how it could happen in a reasonable amount of time. Having a Destroyer standalone box set is fine but it does whet the appetite for more. So, everyone please buy it, lol!

20k at $200, they would be jumping for joy.
I don't even see them selling 20,000 of these things combined of all the different versions.
dtk07
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by dtk07 »

Wicked Lester needs a release next year to keep any unreleased tracks away from European public domain labels.
Luchino
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Luchino »

dtk07 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:35 pm Wicked Lester needs a release next year to keep any unreleased tracks away from European public domain labels.
and Paul had that tape of a live show as Rainbow, that would make a great preKISS box set
Demian1977
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Demian1977 »

Good question. If the Destroyer box set sells well I personally hope they will continue to roll these out but I don’t have a lot of faith in that happening. If they do release more I will gladly fork over another $200. People have been paying way more money for the bootleg box sets have been coming out for a few years now…

Speaking of new releases, what happened to the rest of the 180 gram anniversary releases? I think the last one they did was Alive! And that was like a year ago…no rhyme or reason for those releases either…I think the only non make-up anniversary vinyl they did was HITS..where is CN, LIU, etc Seems like no organization or planning was put into the release of them.
But yeah seeing the Destroyer Box Set announcement brought a smile to my face for the first time in a long time and if they double down with more I will happily purchase them.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

How much does it have to sell? First, tell us how much the entire project cost to produce. Once we get that official number, then we can evaluate how many units to break even and go from there. Other than that, just hot air spewing in the thread.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

misterhand80 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 pm How much does it have to sell? First, tell us how much the entire project cost to produce. Once we get that official number, then we can evaluate how many units to break even and go from there. Other than that, just hot air spewing in the thread.
We are not putting together a professional business plan with projections here for fuck sake.

It's just a shooting the shit thread for people to make realistic predictions and give their opinion based on albums sales these days and deluxe editions in general if they so want to - because we all want these releases to continue.

What is wrong with you?
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:44 pm
misterhand80 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 pm How much does it have to sell? First, tell us how much the entire project cost to produce. Once we get that official number, then we can evaluate how many units to break even and go from there. Other than that, just hot air spewing in the thread.
We are not putting together a professional business plan with projections here for fuck sake.

It's just a shooting the shit thread for people to make realistic predictions and give their opinion based on albums sales these days and deluxe editions in general if they so want to - because we all want these releases to continue.

What is wrong with you?
Nothing is wrong with me. But, thanks for asking. :idea:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

misterhand80 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 pm

What is wrong with you?
Are you sure? You know because there has been MANY threads on here with album sales speculation. This thread isn't some new concept.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 pm

What is wrong with you?
Are you sure? You know because there has been MANY threads on here with album sales speculation. This thread isn't some new concept.
I am definitely sure that nothing is wrong with me.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

I think 10-20,000 units is a fair estimate. This is a dense box set, however the price tag doesn't appeal to anyone outside of a diehard fan. Box sets are made for die hards.

I'd like to see more mixed album box sets. Say, a redo of The Originals for a new audience, with extra live tracks and demos. A Dynasty-Unmasked set would work well thematically, too.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

All I can say is Thank God it has nothing to do with RSD. Anybody who wants one of these will have an opportunity to get one at least.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

misterhand80 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:18 pm

What is wrong with you?
I am definitely sure that nothing is wrong with me.
I am not so sure about that, but have a good night nonetheless.
Tallbear13

Post by Tallbear13 »

All the box sets Metallica has put out everytime they've sold out on their website they re-stocked till they ran out except for the black album which for now has sold out and will not be back.

Plus you could get them other places ,and theirs have more stuff for about the same price

If this one for KISS sells out that will be a good sign they make one for other albums
nightwingken
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Going Blind wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm All I can say is Thank God it has nothing to do with RSD. Anybody who wants one of these will have an opportunity to get one at least.
Agreed 100% RSD is a rip off. Not often done in the spirit intended.
nightwingken
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Marty Scurll wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:10 pm The Monkees box sets I have purchased were limited to 5,000 copies or so each and they keep following those up and their only $80, so hopefully 5-20,000 sold at $200 will be enough to keep it going.
those are all awesome
Goady
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Goady »

$200 price tag takes away the casual fan. The kissonline exclusive also reduces worldwide sales due to ship/customs costs. If they sell more than 5,000 of these that would surely be a result?
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

I'm only interested in deluxe versions of stuff from 1979-1982.
Live_To_Win_07
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Live_To_Win_07 »

dtk07 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:35 pm Wicked Lester needs a release next year to keep any unreleased tracks away from European public domain labels.
Surprised they haven't done that as an RSD release (assuming they own it) but that would be interesting and they don't do interesting releases.
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

What is wrong with you?
You are always a such a fucking ray of sunshine.
StillAlive
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StillAlive »

Whitesnake
The masked one
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by The masked one »

richardsimmons wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:08 pm I’d guess that if this Destroyer set sold 10,000 copies in the first week, they’d roll out some others. Because after the package is designed well… P+G would view this as free money.

2 - Hotter Than Hell
3 - Lick It Up
6 - Dynasty
14 - Unmasked

I also noted my personal ranking in the list, to illustrate that I’m not simply picking my most favorite records. I’m picking the ones that I think would make the best box sets. Out of these 6 picks, only 2 are in my Top 5.

I ⭐️‘d CoS because it is completely unrealistic. I could never imagine P+G putting this effort into a product for any of the 1984 - 1998 records. Ever.
I would love to see Creatures of the Night, Lick It Up and Dynasty deluxe box sets. However I would think that Paul and Gene would concentrate on what they think are the important and popular ones. After Destroyer and Alive, they seem to focus on Creatures the most so I could see that one. There should be lots to include if they go back to some of the recordings made before they changed course and developed the Elder (Such as Deadly Weapons). I don't see Hotter than Hell being done. Frankly, I don't know what could be included as they didn't write enough new songs for the record and had to use songs not recorded for the debut. The songs done live are already included on Alive 1 so there are no tracks performed on that tour that were dropped. I'm also not sure about there being enough stuff for Unmasked or that there would be much interest outside of the extreme die hards.
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by johnkissfan1974 »

Is the consensus the same individuals that are sh-tting on this box set? If yes then you already have your answer. If not, then the next logical guess would be no one knows what tomorrow will bring. The Destroyer box set release date is more than a month away and people are already buring this one to make room for the next one. Can we take it one day at a time and enjoy this moment??
richardsimmons

Post by richardsimmons »

The masked one wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:32 am
I would love to see Creatures of the Night, Lick It Up and Dynasty deluxe box sets. However I would think that Paul and Gene would concentrate on what they think are the important and popular ones. After Destroyer and Alive, they seem to focus on Creatures the most so I could see that one. There should be lots to include if they go back to some of the recordings made before they changed course and developed the Elder (Such as Deadly Weapons). I don't see Hotter than Hell being done. Frankly, I don't know what could be included as they didn't write enough new songs for the record and had to use songs not recorded for the debut. The songs done live are already included on Alive 1 so there are no tracks performed on that tour that were dropped. I'm also not sure about there being enough stuff for Unmasked or that there would be much interest outside of the extreme die hards.
Good points about Creatures being likely, & Unmasked being unlikely.
turbodrive
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by turbodrive »

Strutterer wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:24 pm I'd like to see more mixed album box sets. Say, a redo of The Originals for a new audience, with extra live tracks and demos.
A repackaging of The Originals would make a lotta sense. It'd be cool to have a set for each album, but realistically, that probably won't happen. My guess is that they'd be interested in doing these for what were their biggest sellers, so it makes sense that Destroyer was first. I'm hoping it does well and they follow up with an Alive! package.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:48 am Is the consensus the same individuals that are sh-tting on this box set? If yes then you already have your answer. If not, then the next logical guess would be no one knows what tomorrow will bring. The Destroyer box set release date is more than a month away and people are already buring this one to make room for the next one. Can we take it one day at a time and enjoy this moment??
Jesus. No, it has been the consensus across the board. Perhaps you haven't listened to the KISSFAQ podcast yet either.

It is just speculation like what constantly goes on here. No one actually has to be right. This thread is about enjoying what is coming and wanting more.

How did that go over your head?
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:16 am
johnkissfan1974 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:48 am Is the consensus the same individuals that are sh-tting on this box set? If yes then you already have your answer. If not, then the next logical guess would be no one knows what tomorrow will bring. The Destroyer box set release date is more than a month away and people are already buring this one to make room for the next one. Can we take it one day at a time and enjoy this moment??
Jesus. No, it has been the consensus across the board. Perhaps you haven't listened to the KISSFAQ podcast yet either.

It is just speculation like what constantly goes on here. No one actually has to be right. This thread is about enjoying what is coming and wanting more.

Nope I don’t watch the podcasts and it wouldn’t surprise me if you are one of the individuals that was sh-tting on this release. Negativity and your name are usually hand in hand.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

richardsimmons wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:08 pm I’d guess that if this Destroyer set sold 10,000 copies in the first week, they’d roll out some others. Because after the package is designed well… P+G would view this as free money.

2 - Hotter Than Hell
3 - Lick It Up
6 - Dynasty
14 - Unmasked

I think they would do a Revenge deluxe in terms of 1984 - 1998 albums if these were selling well. Paul and Gene don't view that album as being any kind of mistake or something that they shouldn't have done. I am pretty sure they still view this album as a high light in their discography, so we may get this before something like Unmasked.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 am

Nope I don’t watch the podcasts and it wouldn’t surprise me if you are one of the individuals that was sh-tting on this release. Negativity and your name are usually hand in hand.
I have said repeatedly that I want this, including in this very thread. So it would seem you just want to call me out for some reason, instead of reading the thread and actually comprehending what has been said.

I don't know how you missed this.
richardsimmons

Post by richardsimmons »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:24 am I think they would do a Revenge deluxe in terms of 1984 - 1998 albums if these were selling well. Paul and Gene don't view that album as being any kind of mistake or something that they shouldn't have done. I am pretty sure they still view this album as a high light in their discography, so we may get this before something like Unmasked.
I didn’t include that record because I don’t think Paul is proud of it. But if you’re correct, that would be cool!! I’m just speculating.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

richardsimmons wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:29 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:24 am I think they would do a Revenge deluxe in terms of 1984 - 1998 albums if these were selling well. Paul and Gene don't view that album as being any kind of mistake or something that they shouldn't have done. I am pretty sure they still view this album as a high light in their discography, so we may get this before something like Unmasked.
I didn’t include that record because I don’t think Paul is proud of it. But if you’re correct, that would be cool!! I’m just speculating.
I never got that sense from Paul. I am pretty sure they both view Revenge as being among their best. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Paul has changed his tune regarding Revenge and is critical of it. He has done this before with albums that you think he would continue to praise, but he has problems with them now.

Of course this is all just fun speculation. Nothing to take too seriously like some are doing for some reason.
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:28 am

I have said repeatedly that I want this, including in this very thread. So it would seem you just want to call me out for some reason, instead of reading the thread and actually comprehending what has been said.

Hard to keep track with all the snide remarks I guess.
Arrogant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Arrogant »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:40 pm Would 10K be enough first week sales and then whatever it sells after that?
It's not going to do numbers remotely close to that. And that's taking into account multiple units shifted per box.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:36 am

This is meant to be a fun thread with people just speculating because we all want MORE deluxe editions. Perhaps you should actually READ the thread before jump in with your incorrect assumptions.

You are taking all of this way too seriously and overreacting - even with the thread you just posted. Take the pickle out of your ass. This has been one thing from KISS where most people here are excited for.

Have a great day.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Arrogant wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:40 pm Would 10K be enough first week sales and then whatever it sells after that?
It's not going to do numbers remotely close to that. And that's taking into account multiple units shifted per box.
Well I certainly hope this would sell more than Soul Station when it comes to KISS fans.
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 am

This is meant to be a fun thread with people just speculating because we all want MORE deluxe editions. Perhaps you should actually READ the thread before jump in with your incorrect assumptions.

You are taking all of this way too seriously and overreacting - even with the thread you just posted. Take the pickle out of your ass. This has been one thing from KISS where most people here are excited for.

Have a great day.
Hard to keep track with all the snide comments I guess.
Arrogant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Arrogant »

Tallbear13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:38 pm All the box sets Metallica has put out everytime they've sold out on their website they re-stocked till they ran out except for the black album which for now has sold out and will not be back.
Plus you could get them other places ,and theirs have more stuff for about the same price
If this one for KISS sells out that will be a good sign they make one for other albums
It looks like The Black Album box is going to sell all 53k. It's now out of stock at almost every retailer and going for $400+ on Discogs, eBay, etc.

Given how much less actual content (multiple vinyl, DVDs, etc) is in the Destroyer box, and how much of it is cheap products -- it will likely lead to another box if it sells well. It certainly will have a high profit margin if you consider for about the same price, Metallica's has so much more physical media and 25 more hours of content.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am

Have a great day.
It shouldn't be if you know how to read and comprehend things in this very thread. I guess you can't.
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:48 am
johnkissfan1974 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am

Have a great day.
It shouldn't be if you know how to read and comprehend things in this very thread. I guess you can't.
…snide comments…
mojavebassman
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by mojavebassman »

Maybe an Alive II deluxe edition to coincide with the end of the EOTR, with the 4 originals playing a few songs in the Love Gun costumes at the final show. I would buy that.
Brad Breath
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Brad Breath »

I think it may just come down to how many they (Universal and/or the band) choose to do. There should be enough built-in sales from the fanbase to allow for super deluxe editions of all (or most) of the albums. Realistically I don't believe they will do that, but I don't think a lack of sales would be much of a problem with these types of releases.