Mass Kissteria... 2022.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
Julien
EXP20240130
Posts: 16485
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Julien »

I said I was done. Maybe not...

It hasn't been done, and it's a pet-peeve of mine that there's no book to date focusing solely on 1980. I think it's time, now that the 40th anniversary is missed and no one is getting any younger. Pictorial heavy (no pro photogs) balanced with text.

So, it'll take a village to do this right, representatives from each country to manage that section, solicit fan contributions, designers and artists with passion and those with a current operational knowledge of In-Design.

The grand vision is that there'll be a mass-market version in English. Separately translated versions for local markets plus Japanese and Spanish.

Two Sides of the Coin
Chapter 1 - Peter Criss leaves the band / KISS Album Refocused
Chapter 2 - KISS Unmasked songs & stories
Chapter 3 - The cancelled tour + Mexico/Japan
Is That You?
Chapter 4 - Auditions / The New Guy
Chapter 5 - Palladium
Chapter 6 - Kids Are People Too
She's So European
Chapter 7 - Italy
Chapter 8 - England & Wales
Chapter 9 - Germany
Chapter 10 - Belgium
Chapter 11 - France
Chapter 12 - Switzerland
Chapter 13 - Netherlands
Chapter 14 - Sweden
Chapter 15 - Denmark
Chapter 16 - Norway
You're All That I Want
Chapter 17 - Australia
Chapter 18 - New Zealand
Tomorrow
Chapter 19 - Aftermath (brief, since "Odyssey" covers much)

I'm starting off with a base budget, but the overall goal is for this to be a not-for-profit endeavor for the mass-market edition I'd facilitate. Localized versions would of course be free to handle their own translated version printing and sales with the goal of covering their costs and providing their fellow fans with a fairly priced edition.

It's a starting point...

https://www.masskissteria.com/
User avatar
OHKISSFAN
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5091
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:42 am
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by OHKISSFAN »

:shock:
Wow! Sounds GREAT!
User avatar
sugardaddy
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 13048
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:05 pm
Location: Menfuss

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by sugardaddy »

😎
User avatar
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Bruce »

Involving the Kommunity is brilliant -- I will follow published updates on this project with interest!
Kisscandinavia
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3860
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Kisscandinavia »

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!
User avatar
NashvilleRock.net
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:20 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by NashvilleRock.net »

Oh.hell.yes!
User avatar
Under The Rose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Under The Rose »

Love it!!
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8697
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Tito »

Whoah!!! Yes please.
User avatar
nightwingken
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!
Posts: 27294
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by nightwingken »

Excellent!
User avatar
Padilla18
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Padilla18 »

this sounds awesome
User avatar
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2208
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am
Location: KISSIN TIME U.S.A.

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by vinniestkulick »

:thumright: Awesome... 1980... maybe my fave year in Kisstory... or it comes in a photo finish with 1976. :thumleft:

By this point, if one was still a fan, you were on (or had escaped to) an island of your own.

:salut:
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11701
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by jannep17 »

Cool.
User avatar
Tallbear13
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2787
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:38 pm
Location: Catawba NC

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Tallbear13 »

Very Cool this is a point in time showing how big the band still was internationally but for the band that is moment changing, and a false sense of everythings going to be ok not knowing well maybe not.

On Julian being done: When he thought he was out , they pulled him back in
Last edited by Tallbear13 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
BC Witch
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by BC Witch »

Kool. I have some cuttings from the UK paper Sounds from that time period, will that be of help?
User avatar
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:03 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by pepperkitty »

Rite on.
User avatar
Julien
EXP20240130
Posts: 16485
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Julien »

BC Witch wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:35 am Kool. I have some cuttings from the UK paper Sounds from that time period, will that be of help?
All sorts of things like that, stubs, flyers, fan concert photos will be useful.

I'm going to finish up the Aero book this month, but have started building the skeleton for the book, allocating the necessary backend budget, organizing memos and documents, and will then see if there's enough interest to build a team.

So, very much a pipe-dream until there's help and an indication that a certain warlock hasn't poisoned the well of goodwill.
seattlekissfan
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:11 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by seattlekissfan »

Sounds awesome!
User avatar
PsychoElder
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by PsychoElder »

Sounds great.
User avatar
tils3
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 pm
Location: Escaping from the Island

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by tils3 »

So, very much a pipe-dream until there's help and an indication that a certain warlock hasn't poisoned the well of goodwill.

I see what you did there :lol:
User avatar
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:30 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by kiss-1976 »

That's fantastic news Julian. Really looking forward to what you create!
User avatar
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1305
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:33 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by gabbagabba »

Cool!
User avatar
stickyfinger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:54 am
Location: Finland

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by stickyfinger »

Nice!!!!!
User avatar
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:15 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by wjs296 »

Sounds fantastic!
User avatar
69th_B1izard
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Location: Gotham City

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Awesome! But before you start off with a base budget, make sure that you start off with a beer. 🍺
User avatar
Sam T Serpent
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5680
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:50 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Sam T Serpent »

I’ll go through my stuff to see if I’ve got any Australia 1980 stuff.
User avatar
Rabant777
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 am
Location: The People's Republic of Yorkshire

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Rabant777 »

Great stuff Julien.
I do think that the context of what was happening at the label deserves it's own chapter though.

The accepted history is that sales of the Unmasked album and inability to tour the States was a reaction to the change in style .... but the removal of almost all of the existing staff must have had the biggest impact on how the album was promoted.

Also, how the impact of the downturn in the US economy in 1979 meant that many major acts chose not to tour..... impacting the liquidity of promoters
User avatar
Hotter Than Heck
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2826
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm
Location: Detroit Rock City

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Nice! Can't wait!!
User avatar
Kissoff
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2423
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Kissoff »

Outstanding!!!
User avatar
BC Witch
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2643
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by BC Witch »

Julien wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 am
BC Witch wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:35 am Kool. I have some cuttings from the UK paper Sounds from that time period, will that be of help?
All sorts of things like that, stubs, flyers, fan concert photos will be useful.

I'm going to finish up the Aero book this month, but have started building the skeleton for the book, allocating the necessary backend budget, organizing memos and documents, and will then see if there's enough interest to build a team.

So, very much a pipe-dream until there's help and an indication that a certain warlock hasn't poisoned the well of goodwill.
I will dig out what I have and take pics and then if it's useful I can scan them and send.
User avatar
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2368
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:29 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by kisswah »

This sounds great. I just can't wait!
User avatar
Diss
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5387
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:21 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Diss »

Sounds great! I predict it is finished and in the hands of people before the next "Magic" update and postponement.
User avatar
michaelstone1981
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by michaelstone1981 »

Would you like scans of LP and 45 labels? I have many US variations of the LP and the Shandi/She's So European and Tomorrow/Naked City 45's
AztecB
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by AztecB »

Julien Id be glad to help with the Spanish translation from English.

Great idea!
User avatar
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2352
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Chaim Wigz »

YESSSS!!! I LOVE THIS!!!
User avatar
Julien
EXP20240130
Posts: 16485
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Julien »

michaelstone1981 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:14 pm Would you like scans of LP and 45 labels? I have many US variations of the LP and the Shandi/She's So European and Tomorrow/Naked City 45's
It's not going to be a LP guide as such. I still have most of the 45 picture sleeve scans from my collection, but if I do need anything I'll put a blast out. Will certainly want a 501 PolyGram Filmworks label ;) Other than that the French 12"-ers and I may need a better Mexican swirl than mine was. Just eye candy. Ads for them, most certainly needed.
User avatar
balish
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7072
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 pm
Location: JAPAN

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by balish »

WONDERFUL NEWS!!
User avatar
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by torgotheme »

Now we're talkin'.
razor
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:50 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by razor »

will help i have alot of stuff from 80 europe and oz just like with msg book :D
very cool !!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8697
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Tito »

Julien wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:59 am Separately translated versions for local markets plus Japanese and Spanish.
That sounds ambitious. Are you sure it's worth the trouble?
User avatar
wayfarer
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 am
Location: Apartment 3B

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by wayfarer »

Chapter 17 will be quite comprehensive I'm sure...
razor
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:50 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by razor »

wayfarer wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Chapter 17 will be quite comprehensive I'm sure...
true i have been uncovering bits and pieces on this tour
like a cricket match between new south wales and queensland had to be brought forward one day
because it was next to where kiss were playing that night. it was decided this was better for all
(it was a one day cricket game (mercantile cup) as it was know then .
mercantile were a sponsor of australian cricket
User avatar
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 6:47 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

This sounds killer. I'm in.
User avatar
wayfarer
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 am
Location: Apartment 3B

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by wayfarer »

razor wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 pm
wayfarer wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Chapter 17 will be quite comprehensive I'm sure...
true i have been uncovering bits and pieces on this tour
like a cricket match between new south wales and queensland had to be brought forward one day
because it was next to where kiss were playing that night. it was decided this was better for all
(it was a one day cricket game (mercantile cup) as it was know then .
mercantile were a sponsor of australian cricket
That's interesting Razor...although one has to wonder wasn't the Australian tour announced like at the beginning of 1980 (February or March) ??...or was it just logistics at the time, having two events close by just not sustainable ?? Although booked well in advance (both venues) for KISS and the cricket...

What about the story KISS asked for a pool to be built backstage at VFL Park?

There were very rough photocopies circulating in the 1990s from the Aussie tour of the bands itinerary...I remember seeing it and reading through it... honestly wasn't overly exciting of a read but, I wonder if someone out there still has one...would be a good inclusion for chapter 17 😁...

Someone here was talking about a fan who was putting together a book based on the Aussie tour but he unfortunately passed away...anyone know the name of the deceased fan?...I was just curious...
razor
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:50 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by razor »

wayfarer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:20 am
razor wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 pm
wayfarer wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Chapter 17 will be quite comprehensive I'm sure...
true i have been uncovering bits and pieces on this tour
like a cricket match between new south wales and queensland had to be brought forward one day
because it was next to where kiss were playing that night. it was decided this was better for all
(it was a one day cricket game (mercantile cup) as it was know then .
mercantile were a sponsor of australian cricket
That's interesting Razor...although one has to wonder wasn't the Australian tour announced like at the beginning of 1980 (February or March) ??...or was it just logistics at the time, having two events close by just not sustainable ?? Although booked well in advance (both venues) for KISS and the cricket...

What about the story KISS asked for a pool to be built backstage at VFL Park?

There were very rough photocopies circulating in the 1990s from the Aussie tour of the bands itinerary...I remember seeing it and reading through it... honestly wasn't overly exciting of a read but, I wonder if someone out there still has one...would be a good inclusion for chapter 17 😁...

Someone here was talking about a fan who was putting together a book based on the Aussie tour but he unfortunately passed away...anyone know the name of the deceased fan?...I was just curious...
yes i helped him out years ago with photocopies of itenaries etc .he was jendal 1971 know on here as that
the guy that ran the kiss this ! fanzine in australia was i believe going to do one
but it fell away to dont know what happend their
User avatar
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:50 am
Location: "I live five days to your one"

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by Red_Walrus »

awesome!
User avatar
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by wezze »

:roll: :shock:
User avatar
wayfarer
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 am
Location: Apartment 3B

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by wayfarer »

razor wrote: ↑Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:24 am
wayfarer wrote: ↑Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:20 am
razor wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 pm
wayfarer wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:42 pm Chapter 17 will be quite comprehensive I'm sure...
true i have been uncovering bits and pieces on this tour
like a cricket match between new south wales and queensland had to be brought forward one day
because it was next to where kiss were playing that night. it was decided this was better for all
(it was a one day cricket game (mercantile cup) as it was know then .
mercantile were a sponsor of australian cricket
That's interesting Razor...although one has to wonder wasn't the Australian tour announced like at the beginning of 1980 (February or March) ??...or was it just logistics at the time, having two events close by just not sustainable ?? Although booked well in advance (both venues) for KISS and the cricket...

What about the story KISS asked for a pool to be built backstage at VFL Park?

There were very rough photocopies circulating in the 1990s from the Aussie tour of the bands itinerary...I remember seeing it and reading through it... honestly wasn't overly exciting of a read but, I wonder if someone out there still has one...would be a good inclusion for chapter 17 😁...

Someone here was talking about a fan who was putting together a book based on the Aussie tour but he unfortunately passed away...anyone know the name of the deceased fan?...I was just curious...
yes i helped him out years ago with photocopies of itenaries etc .he was jendal 1971 know on here as that
the guy that ran the kiss this ! fanzine in australia was i believe going to do one
but it fell away to dont know what happend their
KISS THIS! was a great fanzine 🀘
User avatar
michaelstone1981
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by michaelstone1981 »

Julien wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:56 pm
michaelstone1981 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:14 pm Would you like scans of LP and 45 labels? I have many US variations of the LP and the Shandi/She's So European and Tomorrow/Naked City 45's
It's not going to be a LP guide as such. I still have most of the 45 picture sleeve scans from my collection, but if I do need anything I'll put a blast out. Will certainly want a 501 PolyGram Filmworks label ;) Other than that the French 12"-ers and I may need a better Mexican swirl than mine was. Just eye candy. Ads for them, most certainly needed.
I got you on the Filmworks label. Have both different Polygram labels from the issues with the 0501 and the UPC
1983-84 NBLP 7225 Filmworks Label 2 Plant 72 Side 1.jpg
1985-90 422 826 242 Filmworks Label 3 Plant 53 Side 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
KlassicKISS54
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 am

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

One of the better ideas I've heard in a long time. I would get behind that.
douloveme
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Mass Kissteria... 2022.

Post by douloveme »

Sounds really cool. I can’t wait to get it! Thank you Julien for leading the charge and coordinating this