Why wasn’t the Anaheim show included in the Destroyer box?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Under The Rose
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Why wasn’t the Anaheim show included in the Destroyer box?

Post by Under The Rose »

Surely this would have been the perfect opportunity to finally release the Anaheim show on DVD or Blu Ray!

And another thing that I wish they would have done is to film the process of remixing/remastering the Destroyer album for Dolby Atmos/5.1. A documentary on that wouldn’t cost much to make but would be really fascinating. Although, it would be best if Ezrin and KISS would be there to go through the multi track masters together and discuss the recording process.

Pretty disappointing we get a load of posters and repro press kits and stuff like that, but no video!
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Why wasn’t the Anaheim show included in the Destroyer box?

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

Is the Anaheim show the one with the cool light-up city outline in the background?
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CStomp1 »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:14 am Is the Anaheim show the one with the cool light-up city outline in the background?
Yes it is. There is also a pretty cool camera angle shot from back by the soundboard that really provides an interesting vantage point. I can't recall if that camera angle was only taken for Black Diamond or the entire show. I recall having a boot of the show from what would be considered standard camera angles and then Black Diamond from the long-shot angle. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the particulars.
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

Probably for the same reason it wasnt included on Kissology. As far as I remember, they and producer didnt think the picture quality, sound and shaky camera especially were good enough for an official release
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

LoveGuns wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am Probably for the same reason it wasnt included on Kissology. As far as I remember, they and producer didnt think the picture quality, sound and shaky camera especially were good enough for an official release
I saw tbat they’d have to pay for it..

So. Left out.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

CStomp1 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:18 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:14 am Is the Anaheim show the one with the cool light-up city outline in the background?
Yes it is. There is also a pretty cool camera angle shot from back by the soundboard that really provides an interesting vantage point. I can't recall if that camera angle was only taken for Black Diamond or the entire show. I recall having a boot of the show from what would be considered standard camera angles and then Black Diamond from the long-shot angle. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the particulars.
Thanks, I just watched that Black Diamond clip. The lightning bolts illuminating the KISS logo are cool af. Can't believe I've never seen this before.
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by gothunder »

battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 am
LoveGuns wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am Probably for the same reason it wasnt included on Kissology. As far as I remember, they and producer didnt think the picture quality, sound and shaky camera especially were good enough for an official release

So. Left out.
They cant afford it. :(
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

While Eddie Kramer was hired to record this show and was assisted by engineer Biff Dawes there are some sonic fluctuations throughout the show, but it is generally a good performance.
The video itself was shot with the intention on being used only for the large screens in the stadium. I know KISS has released other shows that were "screen shot" such as Tiger Stadium 1996 and NYC 1996, the camera quality is B+ at best. Many shaky moments.
There is a camera that was setup at the soundboard and can be seen through out the show in bits and bops and a full Black Diamond performance.
As stated above, it's just not good enough for an official release.

to note, KISS does own this show as Shout it Out Loud was included in the eBook version of Monster - the quality is average at best.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Under The Rose wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:56 am Surely this would have been the perfect opportunity to finally release the Anaheim show on DVD or Blu Ray!

And another thing that I wish they would have done is to film the process of remixing/remastering the Destroyer album for Dolby Atmos/5.1. A documentary on that wouldn’t cost much to make but would be really fascinating. Although, it would be best if Ezrin and KISS would be there to go through the multi track masters together and discuss the recording process.

Pretty disappointing we get a load of posters and repro press kits and stuff like that, but no video!
also a documentary is very expensive to produce - no matter how long or short. Many different licenses come into play when using images and audio.
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

alivecatman wrote:
to note, KISS does own this show as Shout it Out Loud was included in the eBook version of Monster - the quality is average at best.
Many clips from it were included in Kisstory as well
battra

Post by battra »

gothunder wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:29 am
battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 am

So. Left out.
They cant afford it. :(
If they had to pay royalties, the obscene profit margin of 75% might drop to about 60 percent.
destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by destroyerrnro »

alivecatman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 am While Eddie Kramer was hired to record this show and was assisted by engineer Biff Dawes there are some sonic fluctuations throughout the show, but it is generally a good performance.
The video itself was shot with the intention on being used only for the large screens in the stadium. I know KISS has released other shows that were "screen shot" such as Tiger Stadium 1996 and NYC 1996, the camera quality is B+ at best. Many shaky moments.
There is a camera that was setup at the soundboard and can be seen through out the show in bits and bops and a full Black Diamond performance.

This....
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Flo & Eddie wouldn’t allow it. 😜
deleteduser20211122
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by deleteduser20211122 »

Let me see...
They didn't liked the Anaheim video? OK, then they also didn't liked the other Destroyer footage like Jersey City, Houston or even the Paul Lynde Halloween Special....

And about live audio, they choosed to include the AUDIENCE recording of Paris 1976, when several soundboards are in circulation (Toronto, Cleveland, Anaheim, and the audios of the videos of Jersey City and Houston).

Sometimes the choices have strange reasons....
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

destroyerrnro wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:14 pm
alivecatman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 am While Eddie Kramer was hired to record this show and was assisted by engineer Biff Dawes there are some sonic fluctuations throughout the show, but it is generally a good performance.

This....
Also to note, since the video was never intended to be preserved it may only have even been on Beta or even worse VHS! This makes an upgrade or a remaster of sorts unlikely. If the original source was Beta Tape you would have only 250 lines vs the 240 lines in VHS. Beta is slightly better than VHS but rescanning a Beta wouldn't give you anything more than slightly under DVD Quality as far a pixels go - so a Blu Ray in HD quality would never happen.

The audio on the other hand could be significantly upgraded if the master tapes are still around.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

olbap12ar wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:31 pm Let me see...
They didn't liked the Anaheim video? OK, then they also didn't liked the other Destroyer footage like Jersey City, Houston or even the Paul Lynde Halloween Special....

And about live audio, they choosed to include the AUDIENCE recording of Paris 1976, when several soundboards are in circulation (Toronto, Cleveland, Anaheim, and the audios of the videos of Jersey City and Houston).

Jersey City was sadly only captured in Black and White - so a wide release - neg
Houston - shot by the in house cams. One of the camera is blocked for nearly half of the show - neg
They did like the Paul Lynde as that was already released on KISSology Volume 1. I don't think a re-release of just those songs and skits would be worth it as far as a licensing standpoint - so also neg

And the Paris recording is not the Audience recording that has been circulating.
sagedrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagedrummer »

There was also talk on the Kiss My Wax podcast years ago of royalty points due Eddie Kramer on any release featuring his mix. Granted, I don’t see how this would stop a release seeing there will be less than 10,000 of these sold most likely.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

They didn't even want Ezin involved who created the album in the first place, so clearly they only wanted to spend so much even if the package is still seemingly impressive for KISS.
BagBoy

Post by BagBoy »

It is a great show! My Dad was there. Would’ve been great to see it. But, I think like many we have copies. Maybe well see a release at some point. As mentioned above for all the logistical reasons, it makes sense.
k1ssarmy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by k1ssarmy »

alivecatman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Jersey City was sadly only captured in Black and White - so a wide release - neg
Houston - shot by the in house cams. One of the camera is blocked for nearly half of the show - neg
They did like the Paul Lynde as that was already released on KISSology Volume 1. I don't think a re-release of just those songs and skits would be worth it as far as a licensing standpoint - so also neg

And the Paris recording is not the Audience recording that has been circulating.
I have pulled the trigger on this release already and I’m excited to get this from the band. Thanks for the info. So…the Paris release will be a soundboard? This will be great!
battra

Post by battra »

destroyerrnro wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:14 pm

This....
Agreed.

Why would you include an unreleased concert that would only cost $1/set?

It's only average.

But releasing the same stuff for the fifth time isn't.
razor

Post by razor »

anaheim podcast
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Thanks Andrew, that answers the question pretty much. I haven’t watched the whole show, as I prefer to wait for official releases, but what I have seen, the quality is a little sub-par. However hopefully there is a high quality audio source of the Kramer recording available. Combine the two and call it a bootleg bonus DVD and I’m sure it would be a welcome addition to the set. But I also get while they don’t want to do that.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

razor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 pm
anaheim podcast
That’s my show
battra

Post by battra »

Under The Rose wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Thanks Andrew, that answers the question pretty much. I haven’t watched the whole show, as I prefer to wait for official releases, but what I have seen, the quality is a little sub-par. However hopefully there is a high quality audio source of the Kramer recording available. Combine the two and call it a bootleg bonus DVD and I’m sure it would be a welcome addition to the set. But I also get while they don’t want to do that.
I’m the Justice boxed set, Metallica included a camcorder video of a show.

But that was like the fifth live show in the set on video. There were another like five on cd and vinyl.

But hey. $200 bucks.

Wait. That’s what Metallica charged.

Seriously.

At least they’re doing something right?

Metallica dropped a giant set. Kiss is charging $200 for basically a disc of demos.. on cd.
dtk07
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by dtk07 »

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Any more details about the condition or issues with the Anaheim tapes? They seem to be swinging for the fence with this release. Anaheim would be the ideal show if the multi-track tapes were accessable and useable. You may be onto something regarding problems with the Eddie Kramer recordings.

I'm sure the soundboard source for Paris is perfectly fine, but wouldn't hold the potential of a mixable multi-track recording.
misterhand80

Post by misterhand80 »

battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:45 pm

But that was like the fifth live show in the set on video. There were another like five on cd and vinyl.

But hey. $200 bucks.

Seriously.

Metallica dropped a giant set. Kiss is charging $200 for basically a disc of demos.. on cd.
I've seen you complain quite a bit about this Destroyer box set. :idea:
razor

Post by razor »

alivecatman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:40 pm
anaheim podcast
That’s my show
are you doing anymore like this or the 3 nights at cobo hall in 76 podcast
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

The blu ray is my only disappointment. So many opportunities there.
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

I'm grateful for what we do have in the box. Way more than we had two weeks ago. I'm sure all options will be looked at when creating the deluxe editions. Some things will be included and others left off. Hopefully some surprises as well. In the mean time you can always track down the Mick E Gee version of the DVD 😜
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

razor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:02 pm
alivecatman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:40 pm
anaheim podcast
That’s my show
are you doing anymore like this or the 3 nights at cobo hall in 76 podcast
Already did that :) I also went into detail correcting the Cobo Hall dates on the official releases
SpaceJan
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by SpaceJan »

CStomp1 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:18 am
This is just...Wow! :shock:
Almost 30 years of fandom and I had never noticed it!

alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

dtk07 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:14 pm
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Any more details about the condition or issues with the Anaheim tapes? They seem to be swinging for the fence with this release. Anaheim would be the ideal show if the multi-track tapes were accessable and useable. You may be onto something regarding problems with the Eddie Kramer recordings.

I'm sure the soundboard source for Paris is perfectly fine, but wouldn't hold the potential of a mixable multi-track recording.
No known details about Anahiem. It's also very possible the multi tracks don't exists and Kramer mixed on the fly.

As far as Paris goes, 110% no multitracks but just a stereo Soundboard. I would even go as far as saying Off the Soundboard had no multitracks for the recent release.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Major disappointment, IMHO.
If they don't like Anaheim, here was a good opportunity to take songs/footage from Jersey City, Houston, and Anaheim and make a short documentary style DVD. "Spirit of '76 Tour" or something along those lines.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Tymaster wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:18 am Major disappointment, IMHO.
If they don't like Anaheim, here was a good opportunity to take songs/footage from Jersey City, Houston, and Anaheim and make a short documentary style DVD. "Spirit of '76 Tour" or something along those lines.
They won't, but I can LOL
battra

Post by battra »

misterhand80 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:27 pm
battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:45 pm

But hey. $200 bucks.

Seriously.

I've seen you complain quite a bit about this Destroyer box set. :idea:
The more I think about this set, the cheaper it looks and the angrier I get.

Sorry that a rip off set, like this, doesn’t get me going.
destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by destroyerrnro »

alivecatman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm

100% accurate on all counts.
destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by destroyerrnro »

alivecatman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:30 am
Me too... :D :lol:
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

destroyerrnro wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:13 am
alivecatman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:30 am
Me too... :D :lol:
I have a few ideas
Sam

Post by Sam »

They could always use the soundboard cassette and bypass Kramer altogether

Going Blind

Post by Going Blind »

Under The Rose wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:56 am Surely this would have been the perfect opportunity to finally release the Anaheim show on DVD or Blu Ray!

Because its something desirable they can separate and use for something else down the line. Thus separating you from your money twice.
battra

Post by battra »

Going Blind wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Because its something desirable they can separate and use for something else down the line. Thus separating you from your money twice.
Thrice.

CD

Vinyl.

Concert video.
Going Blind

Post by Going Blind »

battra wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:41 am
Going Blind wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:52 pm

Thrice.

CD

Vinyl.

Concert video.
Absolutely, nothing is missed with Kiss, always something missing so its not 100 percent perfect, by design.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

They just don’t like that show on full.