The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
I Am A FREAK
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by I Am A FREAK »

(maybe because I was 20 years old !!!) but I would never have said that I was nostalgic for KISS Animalize. does it happen to you too?
Attachments
242250907_3878801625485391_4663714465035135637_n.jpg
Frigoria
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: 1984

Post by Frigoria »

Was shopping with Mrs. Frigoria recently and was struck with the desire for a white belt, but no stores had any.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

I think the ANIMALIZE era was one of the better periods for 80’s KISS. Big selling album, hit single, successful tour, they looked good, it was a great time overall.

As for the year 1984, it was a pretty extraordinary year in KISStory if you follow the timeline. They started the year continuing the LICK IT UP tour with Vinnie Vincent, then fired him when the tour ended in March. After that they hired Mark St John and started work on ANIMALIZE in May.

The ANIMALIZE tour starts in September when the album comes out and by the end of the year Mark is gone and Bruce Kulick becomes the 3 KISS guitarist within 8 months. Crazy that they managed to do anything at all, especially when you consider that Gene also starred in a Hollywood movie, started Simmons Records and recorded Keel’s debut album.
Attachments
8D47ED29-2395-45DF-A14E-D4C0A113B694.jpeg
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

I will never be nostalgic for that album or that era. I lived through it, and that was enough.
67Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 67Kiss »

I was 17 and in high school at the time. I thought Animalize was OK and I enjoyed the tour but by this time I was moving on to other bands, to me it seemed Kiss was a step behind the newer bands of that era.
acesmiddlefinger
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

A great time for this KISS fan. Rang Right Track Studios and managed to speak to Paul and Mark (Still Norton) at that time. Told us about the upcoming Euro Tour and took the piss out of my christian name.
Managed to catch Six shows on the UK tour, met the band a couple of times along the way, got guest passes for one show (Leeds Queens Hall) and saw the band play Whole Lotta Love two nights running. Also saw the band play Burn Bitch Burn and Get All You Can Take on the opening night of the UK tour in Brighton.
Great times!!
Tbond
Banned

Post by Tbond »

I've often thought lately the wheels really cane off musically with Animalize after Lick It Up---in particular with Gene's songs. Paul's songs were awesome (Into The Fire, Heaven's On Fire) to really good (Get All You Can Take, Under The Gun) to decent (Thrills In The Night).

The Gene songs however are garbage, bar none.

And, I think whatever momentum and goodwill they brought to the table with the prior album - - as well as time greatness of Heaven's On Fire), it got pissed away due to Animalize only being a half decent album as a whole.

People bought it, listened to it, and, after the scorching greatness of Heavens On Fire, realized just how bad the Simmons songs were, and they bailed on Asylum because of it.

I really think that album and Gene's songs set them back, and while the Gene songs gradually improved here and there over the course of the decade, the band as a whole never really recovered.
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

Mr Slow wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 am I think the ANIMALIZE era was one of the better periods for 80’s KISS. Big selling album, hit single, successful tour, they looked good, it was a great time overall.

As for the year 1984, it was a pretty extraordinary year in KISStory if you follow the timeline. They started the year continuing the LICK IT UP tour with Vinnie Vincent, then fired him when the tour ended in March. After that they hired Mark St John and started work on ANIMALIZE in May.

The ANIMALIZE tour starts in September when the album comes out and by the end of the year Mark is gone and Bruce Kulick becomes the 3 KISS guitarist within 8 months. Crazy that they managed to do anything at all, especially when you consider that Gene also starred in a Hollywood movie, started Simmons Records and recorded Keel’s debut album.
Very nice recap :)
Forgot that KISS had three guitarists within a year :!:
steve

Post by steve »

I liked the album when I was eight and I like it now. It seemed heavier, faster and much more exciting than any KISS I'd heard before, because it was. I like the concert video too, although I didn't get to see it until 1996.
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by gothunder »

Good times.
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

It was a great time to be a KISS fan.

Solid album with some GREAT songs, a great tour, the band was ON FIRE!!!

Yeah, I really enjoyed that era for sure.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Seems like a tumultuous time for the band itself, but a groovy time to be a fan.

I rank Animalize # 12 / 24 in the discography, & Lick It Up # 3. So I would have had a great time at a live gig, if I was around!!
tazchris
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tazchris »

I was Grade 7 the Fall of 1984, and I heard HOF at school. I have been a hard core fan ever since.
ViniPonciasTapeOp
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ViniPonciasTapeOp »

acesmiddlefinger wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 am A great time for this KISS fan. Rang Right Track Studios and managed to speak to Paul and Mark (Still Norton) at that time. Told us about the upcoming Euro Tour and took the piss out of my christian name.
Managed to catch Six shows on the UK tour, met the band a couple of times along the way, got guest passes for one show (Leeds Queens Hall) and saw the band play Whole Lotta Love two nights running. Also saw the band play Burn Bitch Burn and Get All You Can Take on the opening night of the UK tour in Brighton.
Great times!!
Great story! I remember calling Sweet Silence Studios to ask if Metallica had booked any coming dates there.
criss75

Post by criss75 »

I was nine in 1984 and I remember the Animalize era very well. Loved the album, the European tour stage and the outfits. They played in my hometown (Drammen) in october that year, but I couldn't go. The wig that Gene sported then is alright compared to the mess he's wearing now.
hooligan3
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by hooligan3 »

I was 15 when Animalize came out and have always loved the album. I saw the tour by myself. My parents took me to the venue, dropped me off, went to a movie, and picked me up afterward. I had a great time! Paul brought a girl from my high school up onstage and said something to the effect of, "I don't know what you all had for dinner, but this is my desert!" I also saw Gene getting a blow job at the side of the stage during Eric's drum solo.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

Tbond wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 am I've often thought lately the wheels really cane off musically with Animalize after Lick It Up---in particular with Gene's songs. Paul's songs were awesome (Into The Fire, Heaven's On Fire) to really good (Get All You Can Take, Under The Gun) to decent (Thrills In The Night).

And, I think whatever momentum and goodwill they brought to the table with the prior album - - as well as time greatness of Heaven's On Fire), it got pissed away due to Animalize only being a half decent album as a whole.

People bought it, listened to it, and, after the scorching greatness of Heavens On Fire, realized just how bad the Simmons songs were, and they bailed on Asylum because of it.

I really think that album and Gene's songs set them back, and while the Gene songs gradually improved here and there over the course of the decade, the band as a whole never really recovered.
Agreed. Aniamlize was the beginning of the worst musical output in the bands career that would only end when Revenge came out. I did enjoy the Animalize tour and stage show
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

hooligan3 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:53 pm I was 15 when Animalize came out and have always loved the album. I saw the tour by myself. My parents took me to the venue, dropped me off, went to a movie, and picked me up afterward. I had a great time! Paul brought a girl from my high school up onstage and said something to the effect of, "I don't know what you all had for dinner, but this is my desert!" I also saw Gene getting a blow job at the side of the stage during Eric's drum solo.
Holy shit that is so fuckin sleazy !!! Haha. Incredible’84 story! ⚡️
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

I absolutely adore and miss this time period
Mr.Misery
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mr.Misery »

Animalize started the serious downspiral of Gene Simmons songwriting. Spewing out pure garbage rest of the 80's
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

hooligan3 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:53 pm I was 15 when Animalize came out and have always loved the album. I saw the tour by myself. My parents took me to the venue, dropped me off, went to a movie, and picked me up afterward. I had a great time! Paul brought a girl from my high school up onstage and said something to the effect of, "I don't know what you all had for dinner, but this is my desert!" I also saw Gene getting a blow job at the side of the stage during Eric's drum solo.
Did he take his wig off first?
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I started high school September of 1984 & of course Animalize came out, I got it first day. Heaven's on Fire is all over all the rock stations in Detroit, it's all over MTV too obviously. Kiss is all over every teenybopper rock magazine in the magazine isle at the grocery store to boot. I had two copies of Animalize: vinyl & cassette. I must have listened to both of 'em a million times each the rest of the year

Plus the Detroit Tigers were on a tear & ended up beating the San Diego Padres in the world series in October. I ended up with my first real girlfriend right about that time too

Then in December Kiss at Cobo when they taped for MTV & the VHS release - I was there & it was a great way to cap off that fall/early winter

I love all 9 songs on Animalize & anytime I hear any of 'em it takes me right back to the earliest days of high school, the '84 Tigers, my first real girlfriend & that December night at Cobo Hall. It's like a time machine for me - Total nostalgia!
slipkid69
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by slipkid69 »

Saw them at the end of 1984 in Milwaukee. I went with my girlfriend and was sick as a dog with strep. The old me now would have sold my tickets. The 15 year old me suffered through it just so I could see my favorite band
:lol:
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

Twas great year for rock n roll partying.
Last edited by Kissoff on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Fun times. People I knew that weren't even KISS fans dug the Animalize album.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Great era. Not their best album, and not a good showing on record from Gene. But still there were enough solid tracks to stay relevant, and the live show was great.
Metalion_SOS
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Metalion_SOS »

I love the era and album (#2 overall for me), and don't see anything wrong.
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

I think that Animalize was their finest hour in the 80's (non-makeup). The album, the stageshow, the costuming, the HOF music video, the MTV concert video...KISS was happening in late '84/early '85. And I think it was their first platinum album since Dynasty. Actually, I think Animalize went double platinum?

Anyway, this era definitely beat the LIU, Asylum, CN, and HITS eras. Not that that's some huge feat, but still.

Plus, they finally had a solid lineup when they hired BK.

And Animalize Live Uncensored is one of my top home video concerts to this day. Put that mother out on Blu Ray!

PS I will add that the HITS stageshow was bigger and better than the Animalize stageshow, but that tour took place in 1990.
KISSTRONAUT
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Not a big fan of the album. I enjoyed the tour though. I have many fond memories of the year 1984 too.
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

I really liked LIU and was fine with taking off the make up, but I'm not a big fan of Animalize. There are a few good tunes but it has a lot of filler imo. It's not that I didn't want to like it, I was and still am very indifferent about it. I was a little confused with more lineup changes following Ace leaving only 2 years earlier. It left me wondering where the band was going and how long would it last? I saw the tour in Poughkeepsie at the Mid Hudson Civic Center which holds approximately 3,000 people so it was clear they had not returned to the 70's popularity despite being in heavy rotation on MTV. I enjoyed the show but I missed some of the classics in the setlist. Maybe someday I will appreciate Animalize more, but at this point I doubt it.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Animalize always reminds me of Christmas ‘84, love it! 🐯🦁🦓🎄

While The City Sleeps is a great tune imo. Gene even channels his inner Simon LeBon on the line “It's hit or miss, an eye for an EYE-EEE!”

Total Union Of The Snake vibes on that part.

I bet Gene was a closet Duran Duran fan or couldn’t avoid it cause they were everywhere in ‘84.
ViniPonciasTapeOp
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ViniPonciasTapeOp »

sneed78 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:04 pm Animalize always reminds me of Christmas ‘84, love it! 🐯🦁🦓🎄

While The City Sleeps is a great tune imo. Gene even channels his inner Simon LeBon on the line “It's hit or miss, an eye for an EYE-EEE!”

Total Union Of The Snake vibes on that part.

I bet Gene was a closet Duran Duran fan or couldn’t avoid it cause they were everywhere in ‘84.
Good observation :)
Rwaters72
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Rwaters72 »

I was 14 March of 1985 and saw my first concert (went with a bunch of juniors and seniors)) KISS and Dokken on tooth and nail. Was wild eyed at everything in that concert, and became a big Dokken fan as I played that album till it wore out. Kiss put on a great show, sort of went downhill the rest of the 80s (IMO) after that. But the 90 tour sort of brought me back. Good memories..
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Turned 12 in may '84. I remember "Heavens on fire " being on Countdown.
miinsane
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by miinsane »

I became a huge fan with the "Animalize" album. Have fantastic memories of the whole time period. Still love it to this day.
Jemgirl
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Jemgirl »

I was only a year old in 1984 so I don’t have nostalgia for it, but i do like the Animalize album and it’s one of my favourite non makeup era costumes.
caligari

Post by caligari »

Mr.Misery wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:26 pm Animalize started the serious downspiral of Gene Simmons songwriting. Spewing out pure garbage rest of the 80's
caligari

Post by caligari »

wjs296 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:48 pm I really liked LIU
and was fine with taking off the make up,
but I'm not a big fan of Animalize.
There are a few good tunes but it has a lot of filler imo. It's not that I didn't want to like it….

I saw the tour in Poughkeepsie, NY at the Mid Hudson Civic Center which holds approximately 3,000 people so it was clear they had not returned to the 70's popularity despite being in heavy rotation on MTV.

I PERSONALLY THOUGHT IT WAS A STEP DOWN FROM THE
“LICK IT UP TOUR”, which I saw there the previous March. They were ON FIRE that night.

I enjoyed the show but I missed some of the classics in the setlist.
Generally felt he same as you did “whs296”, I just tweaked your response a bit…

At least we saw KISSTORY: A Mark St.John w/KISS show!
UglySickJoker
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by UglySickJoker »

1984... the only KISS-thing worth mentioning: 'Ive Had Enough (Into The Fire)' GREAT song!
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

caligari wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:40 am
There are a few good tunes but it has a lot of filler imo. It's not that I didn't want to like it….

I saw the tour in Poughkeepsie, NY at the Mid Hudson Civic Center which holds approximately 3,000 people so it was clear they had not returned to the 70's popularity despite being in heavy rotation on MTV.

“LICK IT UP TOUR”, which I saw there the previous March. They were ON FIRE that night.

Small world, isn't it!

At the time I had no idea that it was a historic night. Mark performed well, just nothing that made him stand out from other guitarists from that era. I grew up about a 1/2 hour away from Poughkeepsie and I saw many shows there and at The Chance. I have lots of memories from Poughkeepsie.
caligari

Post by caligari »

wjs296 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:18 am

Small world, isn't it!

At the time I had no idea that it was a historic night. Mark performed well, just nothing that made him stand out from other guitarists from that era. I grew up about a 1/2 hour away from Poughkeepsie and I saw many shows there and at The Chance. I have lots of memories from Poughkeepsie.
Sounds like I’d be willing to bet we were at a LOT of the same concerts.

Yeah, People always ask me about the Mark St. John concert as if there’s going to be some revelation I bestow on them…
The fact is
at the time
the magazines hadn’t caught up with what was going on in the band in real time…
I didn’t know that they had another guitar player until the “animalize mini concert” was played on MTV and I saw Bruce Kulick in the opening credits.

That night in Poughkeepsie they could’ve switched back-and-forth between Bruce & Mark a dozen times and I probably wouldn’t have noticed…
I was up really really close and could only look at one band member at a time & quite honestly - Eric was easy because he was stationary- But, I focused on Gene and Paul… they WERE KISS. Still are.

Question that you don’t have to be detailed in answer if you don’t want to:
Are you still in this general area (upper NY)?
caligari

Post by caligari »

Small world, isn't it!

Yeah, People always ask me about the Mark St. John concert as if there’s going to be some revelation I bestow on them…
The fact is
at the time
I didn’t know that they had another guitar player until the “animalize mini concert” was played on MTV and I saw Bruce Kulick in the opening credits.

That night in Poughkeepsie they could’ve switched back-and-forth between Bruce & Mark a dozen times and I probably wouldn’t have noticed…
I was up really really close and could only look at one band member at a time & quite honestly - Eric was easy because he was stationary- But, I focused on Gene and Paul… they WERE KISS. Still are.

I’m about 40/45 min south of Mid Hudson Civic Center.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

I wish we could re-live this time period - but with today’s social media and electronic environment. Imagine watching the change in guitar players unfold, and with G&P (and Vin, Mark & Bruce and Bob too) all having the (Twitter) platform available to verbalize and make thier opinions known with no filters and no third parties. What would have been said about Vinnie? Mark? Bruce? Instant information to the fans….. no interviewers interpretations, no delays waiting for printing or photo developing. Would be fascinating.
crimsonharpoon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by crimsonharpoon »

[quote=Tbond post_id=3344953 time=1632157138 user_id=10163]
I've often thought lately the wheels really cane off musically with Animalize after Lick It Up---in particular with Gene's songs. Paul's songs were awesome (Into The Fire, Heaven's On Fire) to really good (Get All You Can Take, Under The Gun) to decent (Thrills In The Night).

[/quote]

I've always suspected that had VV stayed on for Animalize, not only would the writing in general have been better, but that he would have had at least one lead vocal on the album, mainly due to Gene's extended absence from the studio and phoning it in while he was there. Would have been a golden opportunity for Vinnie to step into the spotlight and Paul prob would have "allowed" it, as a dig at Gene if for no other reason.

Really too bad that the LIU lineup couldn't put egos aside and stick together, because I think Kiss was on course of being closer to that "four wheel drive" format where each guy could sing lead and contribute equally. I think their experience with VV soured Gene & especially Paul on allowing anyone else (Eric Carr included) being more than mere sidemen. A shame really & a missed opportunity for higher quality 80s albums.
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

caligari wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 am

Small world, isn't it!

The fact is
at the time

I'm in Ulster County now. I grew up here too. I lived and worked in Orange for 14 years until this summer. Great area and close to a lot of major venues in NY< NY, and CT.
caligari

Post by caligari »

wjs296 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:49 am
caligari wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:20 am

Small world, isn't it!

The fact is
at the time

I'm in Ulster County now. I grew up here too. I lived and worked in Orange for 14 years until this summer. Great area and close to a lot of major venues in NY< NY, and CT.
🤟😃🎸👍
I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK »

JohnBergless wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 am I wish we could re-live this time period - but with today’s social media and electronic environment. Imagine watching the change in guitar players unfold, and with G&P (and Vin, Mark & Bruce and Bob too) all having the (Twitter) platform available to verbalize and make thier opinions known with no filters and no third parties. What would have been said about Vinnie? Mark? Bruce? Instant information to the fans….. no interviewers interpretations, no delays waiting for printing or photo developing. Would be fascinating.
I'm agree 100%
EasyCatMan
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by EasyCatMan »

I wish I could have seen Mark St. John play one show with the band.
Legsofsteel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Legsofsteel »

Good album. Their most underrated imo. Still sounds fresh and frantic. I was only 1 at the time so couldn't appreciate it then! But it's an album I spin regularly these days.