First Kiss song you heard on the radio?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

First Kiss song you heard on the radio?

Post by jannep17 »

Can anyone beat mine for obscurity; first Kiss song I heard on the radio was Parasite.

Swedish radio show host Kaj Kindvall played Parasite in his program Discorama. Must have been 1974.
Bing80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: First Kiss song you heard on the radio?

Post by Bing80 »

Genuinely can’t remember hearing anything before ‘Radioactive’ in 78! Was a minor hit in U.K. (41 or 42) and it piped up on radio. Nearly fell out of my chair!
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Holy shite, for some odd reason, Parasite was one of the first KISS songs I heard on the radio too (I believe before I was even officially a KISS fan. I heard it on HTH in the 80’s and it was instantly nostalgic of years before to both me and my brother.)

We did have HTH on 8 track in the late 70’s, but the nostalgic feeling we got from hearing Parasite again in the 80’s predates that.

But some of the ones I heard AS a young KISS fan in the 70’s were the obvious ones: RARAN, Beth, HLW and Dr.Love
KrazySwede
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by KrazySwede »

Must've been IWMFLY.....we basically had three channels that covered the entire nation (didn't change until late 70s), and of those three channels only one played pop, rock.....so to get on the radio a band had to have a song in the charts - or a radioDJ who favoured them strongly.
And KISS never had many songs in the charts, but IWMFLY was one that did.
BC Witch
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by BC Witch »

Something from Unmasked when Tommy Vance interviewed the band on their UK tour for Radio One. Probably 'Is That You?'.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:26 am Can anyone beat mine for obscurity; first Kiss song I heard on the radio was Parasite.

Swedish radio show host Kaj Kindvall played Parasite in his program Discorama. Must have been 1974.
He's a legend - listened to a Poporama (from may '83) that got a rerun on P4 Plus today. Fun listening to those old radioshows..
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:26 am Can anyone beat mine for obscurity; first Kiss song I heard on the radio was Parasite.

IWMFLY
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

RARAN. Back in the mid 70's, RARAN was pretty much it if you hoped to hear KISS on the radio, at least until Beth came out.
StillAlive
Banned

Post by StillAlive »

Christine Sixteen.
Still have the single (I think).
redfield
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by redfield »

Shandi around 1984... The DJ announced a KISS song being played during the coming batch...which was a total rarity on that 'Top40 Station ... i hadnt heard the song before and actually didnt even recognize THAT being the Kiss Song among the other played pop tunes LOL
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

Hotter than Hell. 74
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

RNRAN, the live version after Alive came out. Beth was a big hit on AM radio in 76.
KF73

Post by KF73 »

The first song I remember hearing on the radio was "I Was Made For Loving You". I was 6 1/2 years old and remember it vividly. On I-84 west bound in Newtown, CT in my mom's brown '78 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser station wagon. I remember my sister going nuts over it and I just fell in love with the song. I am sure I heard something else by Kiss on the radio before that as I had been a fan for 2+ years, but IWMFLY I remember clear as day!
KlassicKISS54
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

The first songs I remember hearing on the radio and inquired were Beth and Hard Luck Woman. I was shocked both times when I was told it was KISS. The band did not have any radio presence in Louisville during the 70’s. Now before that, the first KISS record I ever heard was Alive that my friend had. We listen to it at slumber party’s. At that point I felt like they were this show and the music was like a soundtrack. I didn’t take them seriously until those two songs made radio play. When I heard those I felt they had to have some other gems in their collection.
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

Bing80 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:56 am Genuinely can’t remember hearing anything before ‘Radioactive’ in 78! Was a minor hit in U.K. (41 or 42) and it piped up on radio. Nearly fell out of my chair!

BINGO! I heard the same song when I was a kid at an arena.
Goodwilltowardsall

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

The first time I heard KISS was when one of the chronically badass kids put together a weird slide show for English class (7th or 8th grade) that featured random pics of ephemera that he thought were interesting. The slides were synced to one of those 70'-cassette-players (probably not the official version) that played Hotter Than Hell, probably around 1974 or so. I very much liked hearing KISS and seeing weird images in English class. I think most of the other students were baffled. I do hope KISS get Steven Wilson to remix HTH-that would be cool.

I think I have heard RARAN a couple of times on commercial radio, nothing else by KISS and I grew up in hard-rocking town. I Was Made for Loving You was completely ignored.
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

My brother said the first song he heard was Going Blind on KAAY Little Rock AM station not long after the album came out. There were already rumours that Gene was 60 some years old.
MrPaulStanley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MrPaulStanley »

Definitely can't say that I heard anything by KISS on the radio prior to '76, at least not that I was aware of.

I think the first time I heard anything on the radio by KISS it would have been on TEN-Q, which I didn't discover until Fall of '76. But, again, I couldn't tell you if I heard RARAN (studio or live), SIOL, FY, DRC, or Beth first? All six were in rotation at that time, if I remember correctly. By then, I owned every album up through Destroyer, and RARO wasn't even out yet, so it wouldn't have made an indelible impression on me.
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

Woke up to Christine 16 in 77.
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

Calling Dr. Love - Fall of 1976
PaulsPoonanny
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by PaulsPoonanny »

Talk to Me
kisswah

Post by kisswah »

I was made for loving you - car radio on vacation in Italy 1979
Frigoria
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Frigoria »

I snuck a transistor radio into my desk in 6th grade and heard Beth played during class, which was a pretty major score. It was probably '77. Would've been better if it was a Kiss radio.

I heard, I Was Made For Loving You, when it premiered on KFRC (San Francisco) during English class in 7th grade, but this time the teacher was playing a radio in class. It was hyped-up as a promotional contest in which listeners, after hearing the song, could call in to guess the artist, and win. Same teacher had the Gene, Alive 2 poster up in the classroom and someone wrote "GROSS" on it.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

In the early morning hours on Saturday Oct 28, 1978, I heard RARAN on NY radio.

Needless to say, it put me in a good mood for the whole entire day.
worth1
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by worth1 »

It was either RARAN or Beth. Don’t exactly remember now after 45+ years.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

I practically never listen or listened to the radio. Of course, you get to hear it in malls, other people's cars etc. I Was Made for Loving You I've heard several times and it could well be the first I ever heard (no recollection though). The coolest was without a doubt Speedin' Back to My Baby on national radio!
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

I remember New York Groove being played on a local high school station not long after it came out.

I have a vague memory of something obscure like Parasite being played on the radio several months before that but my ears were probably hallucinating
spacekace

Post by spacekace »

First song I heard on radio was Shout It Out Loud back in ‘76.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

RRAN live, 1976.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

I was playing a pickup game of basketball and one of the guys had a radio playing courtside. RARAN live came on but I had no clue who the band was. This was in 1975 when it was a big hit.
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

IWMFLY
belgiankissarmy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by belgiankissarmy »

IWMFLY
King
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by King »

Dr Love
Krimsonglory
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Krimsonglory »

IWMFLY
J-Lefty

Post by J-Lefty »

IWMFLY
67Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 67Kiss »

Mine was Rock and Roll All Nite from Alive!, it was 1975
DaveinSpain
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DaveinSpain »

I'm only 44 so I think the 1st I heard on the radio had to be either Rock n Roll all night or probably lick it up or heavens on fire
tazchris
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tazchris »

Turn On The Night March 1988 on AM 106 in Calgary. It was on the Top 10 at 10 for the weeks surrounding their show here March 9, 1988. I was a fan for close to four years at that point, and it was vindicating to finally hear them on the radio.
hooligan3
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by hooligan3 »

The first one I can remember was IWMFLY in '79. I was riding in the back of a friend's station wagon when the song came on. I was all excited, and then his dad quickly turned to a different station. LOL
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

RNRAN. I was in fourth grade. I do not even remember if it was the studio or live version.
ToddofThunder
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ToddofThunder »

Definitely "Beth." To me, it's a funny story that goes to the root of my fandom:

When I was just 6 or 7, I was going to a Catholic school. Before school one morning, an older kid calls a few of us over to his backpack. He looks around and pulls the "Hotter Than Hell" LP out of his backpack as if it was some sort of contraband. The rest of us were blown away just by the imagery alone! Without hearing a lick of music, my young friends and I decided right then & there that KISS was our favorite band! And you see, for us, it WAS all about the image, at least back then! If that kid had pulled out a Beatles or even Eagles record, at our age, we would've shrugged our shoulders and ran back out to the playground to swing on the swing set! But it was KISS' LOOKS that got us hooked, again--without even hearing a single note of their music! My best friend at the time and I started drawing pictures of KISS and trading them with each other.

Fast forward to later that year, my Mom picked me up after school and was listening to her AOR/singers radio station. Then the DJ announced, "And here's the latest hit from KISS!" I screamed, "Mom! Mom! This is KISS! This is my favorite group!!" It was "Beth." Of course, my Mom thought it was wonderful, and she probably thought it was cute that at my age, I already had a favorite band. Obviously this was the first time she had ever heard of KISS. She took me to our local Tower Records in Stockton, California a few days later to pick up the 45 of "Beth." Because it was such a huge hit, they were sold out of the 45. But the clerk said he thought they had the full LP. He walked us over to the stacks and pulled out "Destroyer." At my age, I got very embarrassed and sheepish. I loved the cover, but it did look very "dark" and I assumed my Mom would say, "Never mind." To my utter shock, she looked at me and said, "Do you want it?" You can guess my answer.

From the moment I put that needle down on "Detroit Rock City," I was hooked!! That was it for me. I was also very excited a few years later to hear "I Was Made For Loving You" getting heavy rotation too (I still too young to be a music snob, so I loved that song at the time and still do). I only waned in my fandom in my pre-teen and early teen years, only because from around 1981-1983 I sort of lost track of the band. I was also getting heavily into Pop so I was more into Michael Jackson and Huey Lewis, among many others LOL. I was vaguely aware that KISS had taken their makeup off and I remember staring at the "Lick It Up" cover in a record store, instantly recognizing Paul and Eric just by their faces, and Gene only because of his tongue (but I found it hard to believe that that was the face of "The Demon" I had known). I could not tell if Vinnie was Ace, but in the end, I guessed correctly that it was some guy I had never heard of. At any rate, it wasn't until the end of my Freshman year of high school that I was riding with someone in their car and they were blasting "Heaven's On Fire." That melody and sound really resonated with me, and when I asked who it was, I was so excited to hear it was KISS! I became a fan all over again, and haven't wandered since!

I know that was a long story that ventured way beyond the original question, but I have never shared my KISS-timony here so I thought you'd all get a kick out of it.
ToddofThunder
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ToddofThunder »

Definitely "Beth." To me, it's a funny story that goes to the root of my fandom:

When I was just 6 or 7, I was going to a Catholic school. Before school one morning, an older kid calls a few of us over to his backpack. He looks around and pulls the "Hotter Than Hell" LP out of his backpack as if it was some sort of contraband. The rest of us were blown away just by the imagery alone! Without hearing a lick of music, my young friends and I decided right then & there that KISS was our favorite band! And you see, for us, it WAS all about the image, at least back then! If that kid had pulled out a Beatles or even Eagles record, at our age, we would've shrugged our shoulders and ran back out to the playground to swing on the swing set! But it was KISS' LOOKS that got us hooked, again--without even hearing a single note of their music! My best friend at the time and I started drawing pictures of KISS and trading them with each other.

Fast forward to later that year, my Mom picked me up after school and was listening to her AOR/singers radio station. Then the DJ announced, "And here's the latest hit from KISS!" I screamed, "Mom! Mom! This is KISS! This is my favorite group!!" It was "Beth." Of course, my Mom thought it was wonderful, and she probably thought it was cute that at my age, I already had a favorite band. Obviously this was the first time she had ever heard of KISS. She took me to our local Tower Records in Stockton, California a few days later to pick up the 45 of "Beth." Because it was such a huge hit, they were sold out of the 45. But the clerk said he thought they had the full LP. He walked us over to the stacks and pulled out "Destroyer." At my age, I got very embarrassed and sheepish. I loved the cover, but it did look very "dark" and I assumed my Mom would say, "Never mind." To my utter shock, she looked at me and said, "Do you want it?" You can guess my answer.

From the moment I put that needle down on "Detroit Rock City," I was hooked!! That was it for me. I bought every album after that with allowance money as they came out (although the Solo Albums were too expensive to buy all at once, so those I got one at a time). I was also very excited a few years later to hear "I Was Made For Loving You" getting heavy rotation too (I was still too young to be a music snob, so I loved that song at the time and still do). I only waned in my fandom in my pre-teen and early teen years, only because from around 1981-1983 I sort of lost track of the band. I was also getting heavily into Pop so I was more into Michael Jackson and Huey Lewis, among many others LOL. I was vaguely aware that KISS had taken their makeup off and I remember staring at the "Lick It Up" cover in a record store, instantly recognizing Paul and Eric just by their faces, and Gene only because of his tongue (but I found it hard to believe that that was the face of "The Demon" I had known). I could not tell if Vinnie was Ace, but in the end, I guessed correctly that it was some guy I had never heard of. At any rate, it wasn't until the end of my Freshman year of high school that I was riding with someone in their car and they were blasting "Heaven's On Fire." That melody and sound really resonated with me, and when I asked who it was, I was so excited to hear it was KISS! I became a fan all over again, and haven't wandered since! I went and re-bought their albums on cassette and CD over the next few years, including the first 4 albums that I had never heard (S/T through "Alive!")!

I know that was a long story that ventured way beyond the original question, but I have never shared my KISS-timony here so I thought you'd all get a kick out of it.
strutter78

Post by strutter78 »

I’m almost positive it was Beth in 76’ I had an AM clock radio that I got from my great grandmother. I’m not sure, but I think it had tubes/valves instead of transistor. I also recall hearing Queen after Beth. That was rare. I do recall IWMFLY being on the top 40 hits on Sunday multiple times in the Summer of 79’.
caligari

Post by caligari »

Rock and roll all nite
Alive! Version
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

ToddofThunder wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:51 pm Definitely "Beth." To me, it's a funny story that goes to the root of my fandom:

From the moment I put that needle down on "Detroit Rock City," I was hooked!! That was it for me. I was also very excited a few years later to hear "I Was Made For Loving You" getting heavy rotation too (I still too young to be a music snob, so I loved that song at the time and still do). I only waned in my fandom in my pre-teen and early teen years, only because from around 1981-1983 I sort of lost track of the band. I was also getting heavily into Pop so I was more into Michael Jackson and Huey Lewis, among many others LOL. I was vaguely aware that KISS had taken their makeup off and I remember staring at the "Lick It Up" cover in a record store, instantly recognizing Paul and Eric just by their faces, and Gene only because of his tongue (but I found it hard to believe that that was the face of "The Demon" I had known). I could not tell if Vinnie was Ace, but in the end, I guessed correctly that it was some guy I had never heard of. At any rate, it wasn't until the end of my Freshman year of high school that I was riding with someone in their car and they were blasting "Heaven's On Fire." That melody and sound really resonated with me, and when I asked who it was, I was so excited to hear it was KISS! I became a fan all over again, and haven't wandered since!

8) post of the month 8)
StrangestWay
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StrangestWay »

"Beth" in late 1977. Some lame-ass Dubuque Iowa radio station that also played Christopher Cross, Air Supply and Mary Macgregor. AOR LITE.

I was 8 years old. Thought it was a cool song, but didn't know shit at 8. At least, not about music.

Then saw them in a Supermag issue. The image didn't correspond with "Beth."

Then heard Destroyer, late 1977. Sent me and a friend ballistic. By "King of the Night Time World" we're thrashing around the room discovering instinctual air guitar insanity. And the Ken Kelly depiction of the band. Then Alive II. Then it was...2021 and I'm 52 and I still love KIss.

"Beth" now pales to the rest of Destroyer and the Kiss Experience as a totality, but super interesting place in their history.
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Now, I heard multiple KISS songs on the radio before I knew about KISS.

Beth, Calling Dr. Love, Christine Sixteen.

I probably heard them in that order (my mom had Top 40 radio on in the car in those days).

I, "Discovered," KISS, properly, in August of 1977 (a few weeks after hearing Christine Sixteen). It was the first album on 8 Track! :lol:

After hearing that album I was a rabid fan, and then realized that those songs I had heard in the past were KISS. Previously, my stepbrother and stepsister told me that KISS sucked, and that they tried to look like girls. Well, I thought they looked stupid before my step-siblings said anything, so I believed them when they said KISS sucked.

Then I heard the first album and my first though was, "HEY!!! They don't suck!!!" And after realizing that those songs I heard and liked on the radio were by KISS? I thought my stepbrother and stepsister were crazy idiots.