Asylum: As You Would Have It

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Asylum: As You Would Have It

Post by Bruce »

KIϟϟ Asylum has been accused by some who post here as having an image problem ...

But whats the alternative? What could the 80's czars of fashion have possibly replaced the iconic Asylum robes with? What would meet with your approval from that decade of decadence? A Miami Vice motif ... perhaps? I don't know; I like Asylum just as it was. But you,though? What image would you choose, instead?

Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Asylum: As You Would Have It

Post by Australia1980 »

MAYBE Bruce could have gotten a Crockett haircut. And maybe Gene could have passed himself off as Tubbs somehow.

Eric....IDFK

Paul? Easy. Put him in a pink monokini and call it a day. A horrid nightmare of a day.
Jemgirl
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Jemgirl »

They definitely were having a identity crisis during this time. I think they were becoming too similar to other groups around this era, but as the late 80s came around they seemed to have toned down the sequins and makeup and starting to get their image right.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

You don’t see glittery outfits when you listen to the album. Most of the songs were forgettable, that’s a bigger issue.
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

I loved and still love the Asylum Era. Wouldn't change a thing.
Red_Walrus
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Red_Walrus »

To me it's always Gene that seems out of place, the others fit in with the times. Would have liked Gene to have had a Rob Zombie type of horror vibe in the early unmasked era, seems like a natural for Gene but he went more the David Lee Roth route.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

The songs were the problem, not the image.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Kissoff wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:48 pm I loved and still love the Asylum Era. Wouldn't change a thing.
Same
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Normal clothes would have been just fine. Jeans, shirts, jackets, leather, etc.

There was no need to go from this to The Golden Girls.

steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steve »

I don't give a toss about the image and never have. I will say, however, that if the Creatures '85 look had been used to market Asylum, it might have gone over a lot better.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Kissoff wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:48 pm I loved and still love the Asylum Era. Wouldn't change a thing.
That's the right answer.

Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:40 pm
That's the right answer.

:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
Two Headed Dog
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Two Headed Dog »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have the same stylist as Van Halen at this point?
sabresaxon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by sabresaxon »

I think it’s nice G+P were professional entertainers for 11 years and still had no fucking idea what they were doing.
d4nugster
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by d4nugster »

the album's mediocre music was exacerbated by the look they adopted. the other three were forgivable, but gene was horrendously lost.
Last edited by d4nugster on Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

This look would have been perfectly fine. They all look pretty decent compared to their ridiculous stage outfits.

Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 pm You don’t see glittery outfits when you listen to the album. Most of the songs were forgettable, that’s a bigger issue.
That’s one guys opinion. My opinion is it’s one of the most underrated albums in the catalog.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Yeah nothing screams greatness like I’m Alive, Love’s a Deadly Weapon, Radar for Love and Any Way You Slice It.

Truly seminal moments in the history of American songwriting.

That’s why they’ve played so many cuts from Asylum at every show since 1985. The fans are the bosses, after all.

They’re on all the compilation albums and all over the radio as well.

OHH YEEAAHH!
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

I don’t get the criticism of the image. It’s not like KISS were the only ones dressing like this.
Attachments
3CF7BEF6-3715-42F8-B6A5-F248DED482A0.jpeg
4D5387C0-6FB2-4C2D-8EE0-82CA1418875E.jpeg
D2040CA7-D1FA-419B-BB7B-8FB63E0A795D.jpeg
39709E47-4F63-46E8-BDC6-89F82EB03B9B.jpeg
B015A6F5-441F-462F-98A9-79F655EDA3EC.jpeg
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

Asylum was just average longwise, the look was horrible. They weren't the only band with that look, but that doesn't make it better. I'm glad it didn't last long.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:18 am I don’t get the criticism of the image. It’s not like KISS were the only ones dressing like this.
And having a similar image sure didn't hurt Bon Jovi and Poison,among others,during that timeframe.
Peacebrother
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Peacebrother »

Leave the hair but absolutely change the threads. Good album, bad look.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:16 am Yeah nothing screams greatness like I’m Alive, Love’s a Deadly Weapon, Radar for Love and Any Way You Slice It.

Truly seminal moments in the history of American songwriting.

That’s why they’ve played so many cuts from Asylum at every show since 1985. The fans are the bosses, after all.

They’re on all the compilation albums and all over the radio as well.

OHH YEEAAHH!
Who says anything KISS ever created was historical or seminal? They were a big dumb rock band, singing about sex and partying. There is no Stairway To Heaven, American Pie, Bohemian Rhapsody or Sweet Home Alabama in the catalog.

ASYLUM got a look in live during that era but just like everything post 70’s/non makeup it has been largely ignored.

As for compilations, see above.

KISS have about 5 songs total that get played on radio, so you can rule that one out too.

Next time you want to try and mock someone for their opinion, try harder.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Album titles get italicised, songs don’t.

They don’t get capitalised for no reason either. Asylum isn’t an acronym.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

But it is capitalized ...

Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:28 pm KIϟϟ Asylum has been accused by some who post here as having an image problem ...

But whats the alternative? What could the 80's czars of fashion have possibly replaced the iconic Asylum robes with? What would meet with your approval from that decade of decadence? A Miami Vice motif ... perhaps? I don't know; I like Asylum just as it was. But you,though? What image would you choose, instead?

Sorry but I don't buy the narrative that KISS somehow had no other choice but to look like drag queens in 1985. That's ridiculous! Here's a few of KISS' contemporaries and what THEY looked like in that same time period...

Van Halen

AC/DC

Whitesnake

Judas Priest

Mothorhead

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

So don't give me this "what other choice did they have" bullshit. They made a terrible image decision in 1985 and that was to copy the glam look that Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, and Poison adopted. But let's not act like there was NO other alternative!

In fact, looking at the photo of Judas Priest, I find it hilariously ironic that KISS looked "gayer" in 1985 than the band who had an ACTUAL gay lead singer, LOL!
Last edited by Hi I'm Witz on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:18 am I don’t get the criticism of the image. It’s not like KISS were the only ones dressing like this.
Just because Bret Michaels or Vince Neil can pull off the glam/androgynous look doesn’t mean Gene Simmons or Eric Carr can. Or Ozzie for that matter. They looked completely ridiculous. If you can’t see that, you are blind.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Bruce wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:46 am But it is capitalized ...

Forget him. He’s under his 4th guise here. His know it all, abrasive attitude will be his downfall soon enough. He can’t help himself. Imagine what he’s like in person! :lol:
C

Post by C »

Their street looks

or stick to a few months before

Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 am
Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:28 pm KIϟϟ Asylum has been accused by some who post here as having an image problem ...

Sorry but I don't buy the narrative that KISS somehow had no other choice but to look like drag queens in 1985. That's ridiculous! Here's a few of KISS' contemporaries and what THEY looked like in that same time period...

Van Halen

AC/DC

Whitesnake

Judas Priest

Mothorhead

Bon Jovi

Def Leppard

So don't give me this "what other choice did they have" bullshit. They made a terrible image decision in 1985 and that was to copy the glam look that Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, and Poison adopted. But let's not act like there was NO other alternative!
I think you’re being a bit selective with your images there. Some of those bands you listed also had a glam phase. Maybe not quite as radical as KISS, but the point of KISS was to always strive to be the most over the top image wise. To wear jeans & t-shirts after being so outrageous in the 70’s would have been a total 180.

I’m not saying I love the look they had. But to suggest they were the only ones who detoured is not accurate. And it should be pointed out that it’s not a terrible image decision just because you didn’t like it. Love it or hate it, the image and the style of music they played kept them alive with the MTV crowd.
Attachments
D0A2C03F-CC62-4B93-84E6-6B97811A433E.jpeg
70FB01FD-656D-441D-BC31-8678237F9161.jpeg
08D85015-6D6E-47DF-9420-0F2CF11AB120.jpeg
08A5380B-9582-4E13-AC82-931721F04A8A.jpeg
0247E5B1-87A7-4BC8-A3D8-A2D658F94B5B.jpeg
15D1A2A8-9E7E-471D-AE5A-BF0C9F740DA8.jpeg
weboes
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by weboes »

Only thing I would change is Pauls dancing at the end of the Who Wants to Be Lonely video. Some of the outfits and make up were over the top but it was the 80s so enjoy the 80s excess. It should be noted that Poison hadn't put out a record yet. Was it more them trying to go with a Theater of Pain Motley look?
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

weboes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:56 am Only thing I would change is Pauls dancing at the end of the Who Wants to Be Lonely video. Some of the outfits and make up were over the top but it was the 80s so enjoy the 80s excess. It should be noted that Poison hadn't put out a record yet. Was it more them trying to go with a Theater of Pain Motley look?
I think they absolutely were chasing Motley Crue at this point.
Legsofsteel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Legsofsteel »

Similar image to Lick it Up and Animalize era. Still 80s looking but not as ridiculous.
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

They went too far with the Asylum look. Toned down, it might have worked, but they went way too far over the top.

And the back cover of the album should have been the front cover. That front cover turned a lot of people off and may have cost them some sales.
Metalion_SOS
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Metalion_SOS »

Fashions in the 80s changed every year. The leather and studs of 82 got more colourful by 83 which led to fritzed-up hair, animal print and torn spandex by 84. 85 was all about sequins and glitz. Things started to become toned down by late-87.
KISS's look was just right for the era. They were not gonna go out there in black leather or denim and why would we want them to anyway!?
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

LoveGun77 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 am
And having a similar image sure didn't hurt Bon Jovi and Poison,among others,during that timeframe.
Agree, but they did not have the history that KISS did and didnt used to look like total badasses.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Metalion_SOS wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:17 pm Fashions in the 80s changed every year. The leather and studs of 82 got more colourful by 83 which led to fritzed-up hair, animal print and torn spandex by 84. 85 was all about sequins and glitz. Things started to become toned down by late-87.
KISS's look was just right for the era. They were not gonna go out there in black leather or denim and why would we want them to anyway!?
Good point. We have to remember that KISS had already been around 12 years by 1985. As hard as it is to believe because they were only in their 30’s, they were considered elder statesmen of hard rock at that point. To steer away from the loud image and musical trends would have made them seem even older.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

One many fucking times does it need to be pointed out what works for young pretty boy bands doesn't work for the ugly guys in KISS.

KISS even looks worse than Ozzy.

The whole reason why KISS didn't go glam in the 70's is because they looked completely stupid with that look then - but obviously they forgot this realization from the 70's in 1985 and went completely over the top with that ridiculous look.
razor
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by razor »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:53 pm
Same
same to now put together a doco on this tour !!!!
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Love the Asylum era. The album was decent, and had enough MTV play to remain relevant.

Regarding the image, I never had a problem with it. One of music's most visual bands using an over the top image? Sounds right in line with what I'd expect from them.
peterparker78
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peterparker78 »

Taking on board the "Kiss looked like The Golden Girls " comments, when I was a fair bit younger (and arguably only slightly less silly !) at rock / metal club nites I, and about 50% of peeps, would often dress not unlike the Kiss Asylum look :shock: with literally more hair spray & make-up than, yes, my mommy, my sister, my girlfriend and many other females. And that was just the guys, literally, work colleagues I bumped into on such occasions had their eyes were out on stalks. (I can't imagine why !) We probably looked ridiculous (only probably ?) but it was all good fun. Bear in mind I live in the UK, not always the most tolerant nation regarding 'the fashions of youth'. There were the 'metal heads', the 'glammies' (!), 'the thrashers', etc , etc, but we all got on great not a hint of trouble as we were "all just there for the music, man". In other words, and posters may not believe this, the Kiss Asylum look was kinda of its time. Sadly, rock / metal club nites have all but disappeared I only have my (none more) black hair as a reminder to good times past and I certainly wouldn't be caught dead looking as how I did on occasion back then. Well, I wouldn't get caught anyway :lol: ...
PassMeBy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by PassMeBy »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 am

So don't give me this "what other choice did they have" bullshit.
Relax, Mr. King of the Mountain. You sound like Tears Are Fallling :D
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Interesting responses, so far! But I'm doubling down, all the same. And digging my heels in, even further. Because, in my view, Asylum was -- and is -- absolutely in line with the image KIϟϟ has always maintained. I think it works, perfectly ...

DoggFather
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by DoggFather »

Gene said that at that time, they were so lost, they couldn't even see that the album cover sucked...
PaulsPoonanny
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by PaulsPoonanny »

I love Asylum. Secretly Cruel could easily be a song in the 70's era. They just looked so awkward looking like that.
ypke

Post by ypke »

steve wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:03 pm I don't give a toss about the image and never have. I will say, however, that if the Creatures '85 look had been used to market Asylum, it might have gone over a lot better.
I think so too.
And the (inner) sleeve images were way more down to earth, a total difference from the onstage look. What was the reason behind that?

But it's the music and not the glitter that Ilisten to.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

I adore Miami Vice! 8) But perhaps would not have worked for Kiss. :lol:

Gene was the only one who looked ridiculous.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

I read it "Asylum as you would hate it". Hey, as IF I would hate it! It's an ok album. :D
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Funny how many fans will mock the over the top ASYLUM image but also criticise the leather clad REVENGE era. What exactly did you want from them? It almost seems like nothing they did out of makeup pleased some of you. But now even that is a source of anger because there are 2 new guys wearing it!

If you really disapprove of so much of the music and the image beyond 1978 then maybe you just aren’t as big a fan as you think you are. KISS is 48 years, not 5.
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Bruce wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:31 pm Interesting responses, so far! But I'm doubling down, all the same. And digging my heels in, even further. Because, in my view, Asylum was -- and is -- absolutely in line with the image KIϟϟ has always maintained. I think it works, perfectly ...

The difference though is in makeup, they were portraying characters. Without the makeup they were themselves.

See this is why I contend that the makeup could've worked in the 80's if handled correctly. They were still wearing the costumes and this side by side proves that they looked more ridiculous out of makeup than in makeup.