Who was more influential Kiss or The Ramones

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Who was more influential Kiss or The Ramones

Kiss
65%
Ramones
35%

Total votes: 184

Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Who was more influential Kiss or The Ramones

Post by Den Dennis »

It's always been cool to name-drop The Ramones.
sugardaddy
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by sugardaddy »

KISS...bigger crowds and bigger influence.
So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by So Cruel »

acefan1975 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:20 pm Ramones and its not really that close. I bet the vote on this board goes 55-45 or 60-40 leaning kiss. On a Ramones board it would be 100-0 for the Ramones and on a regular music forum it would be 90-10
Yup, sounds about right.
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

Interesting question. I think KISS was more influential overall, by a bit (not a ton). They inspired loads of kids to pick up instruments, learn songs, and join bands. They had a greater reach. I imagine more musicians had KISS albums in their collection growing up vs. the Ramones. No doubt the Ramones were influential too, but in a slightly more fringe way. They influenced a ton of punk, alternative, and indie bands. But a band like Green Day was more directly influenced by the Replacements and Hüsker Dü, I believe, so the Ramones influence may be overestimated a little. It's definitely cooler for a band to say they were influenced by the Ramones, but I think KISS had a greater reach and stronger overall impact.
Legsofsteel
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Legsofsteel »

torgotheme wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:13 pm Interesting question. I think KISS was more influential overall, by a bit (not a ton). They inspired loads of kids to pick up instruments, learn songs, and join bands. They had a greater reach. I imagine more musicians had KISS albums in their collection growing up vs. the Ramones. No doubt the Ramones were influential too, but in a slightly more fringe way. They influenced a ton of punk, alternative, and indie bands. But a band like Green Day was more directly influenced by the Replacements and Hüsker Dü, I believe, so the Ramones influence may be overestimated a little. It's definitely cooler for a band to say they were influenced by the Ramones, but I think KISS had a greater reach and stronger overall impact.
This is a good answer.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

The Ramones didn't sell enough albums to get the credit they have. KISS has.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Impossible to calculate. But 70's era Ramones is the superior band to Seventies era KIϟϟ -- the songs are better. So much better ...
Last edited by Bruce on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoveGun77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by LoveGun77 »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:56 pm Both were successful in terms of selling T-shirts to millions of people who couldn't name more than three of their songs, but in this case it has to be Kiss, who were ubiquitous in North America for two or three years and managed to influence both the '80s hair metal and subsequent 90s grunge scenes. In the case of the Ramones, I'm not even sure they influenced the UK punk scene more than marginally.
I personally find The Ramones vastly overrated. I've heard bar bands that were better. I just have never gotten them. Just my view on it.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Some people don't seem to realize how many bands made a career out sounding just like the Ramones. It's a lot of bands!
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Ramones.
Krimsonglory
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Krimsonglory »

Ramones
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

Agerst1574 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:31 pm This is a fascinating question. A little background about me. I live in Rego Park and in Boca Raton. I attended Forest Hills High School where the Ramones attended (they were about 7-9years older than me, and everyday I pass Joey's mother old art gallery where they used to rehearse in the basement. I saw the Ramones about 13 times with the first show being with the Runaways and Suicide at the Palladium in 1978.

While I was a Ramones fan, I was also a diehard Kiss fan and the first show I saw them at was at Madison Square Garden in February, 1977. Loved the band through the early part of 1981 and kind of left the fandom until the reunion tour and have seen them on almost every tour since. My next show is in West Palm Beach in October.

Folks forget that Joey Ramone's first band was Sniper who played the Coventry during the same era as Kiss. I don't know how much Joey and Kiss interacted with each other. Kiss often talks about Status Quo as an influence and I believe that Joey was a big fan of Status Quo. Both Kiss and Joey were also aware of the NY Dolls.

Unfortunately I think Kiss gets short shrift on the bands they have influenced given the ridicule the band often gets for it priority over making a buck, not that anything is wrong with that. But I can make an argument that the band is hugely influential and all you have to do is talk to musicians who would make that argument.

The Ramones though have a different influence. They, like the Stooges, encouraged people to pick up instruments who did not know how to play and start bands. They did not have the ability that Kiss had on their instruments but their sound was very unique. I know drummers who have attempted to play Ramones songs and can't get the timing correct because so much of it is unique. Clem Burke performed one night with the band and gave up because he just could not get the tempo down and he is an incredible drummer.

Johnny's guitar playing is much of the same. All downstrokes and really fast.

What they both have in common is that the both bands were ridiculed by many in the 70's. I remember vividly friends asking why I was fans of both bands.

So my argument is that they were both hugely influential but I would vote in favor of the Ramones because of the uniqueness of the sound.
I very much enjoyed this comment. I liked your insight.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

acefan1975 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:20 pm Ramones and its not really that close. I bet the vote on this board goes 55-45 or 60-40 leaning kiss. On a Ramones board it would be 100-0 for the Ramones and on a regular music forum it would be 90-10
Are there Ramones boards? I've tried Google and never come up with anything. I would love to find something like this forum for the Ramones.
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Both were influential in different areas, but it's the Ramones who were far more influential in music, no matter what you might think of the bands that they inspired.

As an aside, I think both bands were creatively spent by the very early 80s and it was their 70s output that was most influential by far.
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

This is a tough one

In many ways as much as we over rate Kiss on this bored.. we also probably under rate there impact on the industry and other artists because we know so much of what's behind the Curtain and especially with how Paul has acted over the last couple of year's probably tainted our views a bit .

Henry Rollins once said " I don't care who you are , everyone knows at least one Kiss song," and I think that holds so true and it's hard for die hards like us to think about the cultural and musical impact they have.

The Ramones are absolutely a fantastic group with thier own impact but I'm not quite sure worldwide it spans to the heights of Kiss ...

In fact lately I hear more and see more mentions of The Misfits being influential more so then The Ramones....

Regardless...all three of those bands are Amazing .
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

DaveinSpain wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:17 pm
Are there Ramones boards? I've tried Google and never come up with anything. I would love to find something like this forum for the Ramones.
I love both bands, but what would they discuss? "Do you like Joey's Rocket to Russia-era biker jacket more than his Leave Home-era jacket?" "Which of these songs with three chords and double time drums do you prefer?"

Look, the beauty of KISS to me isn't necessarily the music. It's the minutiae. Like 70s rock? Cool, there's literally hundreds of good bands you can listen to. Not too many of those bands gave you a live-action horror/scifi show with different costumes and stages over the course of their career to go with the music. That, to me, is what makes discussion about KISS endlessly fascinating and is probably how a board like KISSFAQ can exist. Once you've talked the music to death, there's an even deeper well of amazing *stuff* to dig into.
Tbond
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tbond »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:19 pm
Tbond wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:19 pm
DaveinSpain wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm Pretty straight forward question. Clearly Kiss were the biggest band in the world for a few years. I'm not debating who was bigger. Obviously Kiss sold millions more albums. But The Ramones are credited with starting a whole new genre of music. Yes The Ramones played 3 chords and wrote minimal lyrics. I also feel Kiss wrote basic 1970's arena rock songs. Great songs that I love, but they didn't reinvent the wheel either musically. I'm not arguing who was better everyone has their own taste. I'm strictly speaking about influencing new generations of bands. I think The Ramones were more influential.
Without them who knows how punk music would come to be. Kiss definitely was the bigger band and maybe the biggest of the mid to late 70's, but The Ramones created a style of music that has gone on to create some of the biggest bands of today. People everywhere still wear their shirts. I don't see too many Kiss shirts out there today. I think The Ramones never got the credit they deserved in life as they do in death or post breakup. They are my 2 favorite bands and I love them pretty equally. I will say regardless of the outcome of the poll The Ramones definitely made the better movie of the 70's.
Were KISS really the biggest band in the world though? Or was it hype and Bogart/Aucoin marketing? They sure as shit weren't selling more records than a slew of bands.

I am not saying that KISS weren't a phenomenon, but the numbers don't actually add up in terms of actually being the biggest band in the world.
And The Ramones debut album took 38 years to go GOLD. They have a grand total of 2 gold albums out of 37 albums (studio, live, compilations) - -

People wear their T shirts? You mean mass marketing to hipsters calculates influence?

I get it--platinum albums, gold singles, and filling arenas isn't the end all and the be all of influence, but, in order to influence you have to make SOME sort of penetration into the general sales driven marketplace.

I don't see the Ramones doing that with any meaning. I mean, were these thousands of people the Ramones were allegedly influencing all passing around the same album instead of buying it themselves?

East coast journalist types decided the Ramones started some sort of musical revolution and fed it to the press, until people started accepting it as fact.

Nothing more.
I was talking about the biggest band in the world notion, which clearly wasn't the case compared to other massive bands of the time. KISS barely sold albums compared to multi-platinum bands in the 70's and 80's for that matter.

Why are you PM-ing me about this thread?

Are you THAT fucking fragile over your opinions about rock groups?

Yeah, you are.

Seek help dude, you really need it when you take things like Kiss or the Ramones SO seriously you start messaging in private.

Grow up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Whitesnake.
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mackemkiss »

DaveinSpain wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm Pretty straight forward question. Clearly Kiss were the biggest band in the world for a few years. I'm not debating who was bigger. Obviously Kiss sold millions more albums. But The Ramones are credited with starting a whole new genre of music. Yes The Ramones played 3 chords and wrote minimal lyrics. I also feel Kiss wrote basic 1970's arena rock songs. Great songs that I love, but they didn't reinvent the wheel either musically. I'm not arguing who was better everyone has their own taste. I'm strictly speaking about influencing new generations of bands. I think The Ramones were more influential.
Without them who knows how punk music would come to be. Kiss definitely was the bigger band and maybe the biggest of the mid to late 70's, but The Ramones created a style of music that has gone on to create some of the biggest bands of today. People everywhere still wear their shirts. I don't see too many Kiss shirts out there today. I think The Ramones never got the credit they deserved in life as they do in death or post breakup. They are my 2 favorite bands and I love them pretty equally. I will say regardless of the outcome of the poll The Ramones definitely made the better movie of the 70's.
Were KISS really the biggest band in the world though? Or was it hype and Bogart/Aucoin marketing? They sure as shit weren't selling more records than a slew of bands.

I am not saying that KISS weren't a phenomenon, but the numbers don't actually add up in terms of actually being the biggest band in the world.
This. KISS were never the biggest band in the world just never.
Maybe they were the biggest band in America for a couple of years - though 'biggest live draw' might be a more accurate debate.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Mackemkiss wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:39 am

This. KISS were never the biggest band in the world just never.
Maybe they were the biggest band in America for a couple of years - though 'biggest live draw' might be a more accurate debate.
That's it - the "biggest band in the world" at any given time is exclusively playing stadium shows and has albums selling several million units. Although Kiss were among the biggest arena acts in North America for the latter half of the 70s, they did neither.

The Aucoin genius was to have them act as if they were the biggest band in the world, and people would end up believing they were regardless of the actual numbers they were doing.

If you were a primary school or early teen kid in the late 70s as many of us were it was totally believable. They might not have been able to act in "Phantom", but they sure could act like the biggest band in the world!
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:01 pm Impossible to calculate. But 70's era Ramones is the superior band to Seventies era KIϟϟ -- the songs are better. So much better ...
70's era for both are my favorite era of each band,but I gotta agree. I like The Ramones better.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

The Man wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 pm This is a tough one

In many ways as much as we over rate Kiss on this bored.. we also probably under rate there impact on the industry and other artists because we know so much of what's behind the Curtain and especially with how Paul has acted over the last couple of year's probably tainted our views a bit .

Henry Rollins once said " I don't care who you are , everyone knows at least one Kiss song," and I think that holds so true and it's hard for die hards like us to think about the cultural and musical impact they have.

The Ramones are absolutely a fantastic group with thier own impact but I'm not quite sure worldwide it spans to the heights of Kiss ...

In fact lately I hear more and see more mentions of The Misfits being influential more so then The Ramones....

Regardless...all three of those bands are Amazing .
Funny you mention The Misfits. I was just telling a friend given the choice of
Kiss Alive!
Ramones It's Alive
Misfits Evilive
I'd take Evilive without a 2nd thought. Maybe my favorite album from top to bottom. Absolutely love the rawness of it.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Tbond wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:35 am

And The Ramones debut album took 38 years to go GOLD. They have a grand total of 2 gold albums out of 37 albums (studio, live, compilations) - -

People wear their T shirts? You mean mass marketing to hipsters calculates influence?

I get it--platinum albums, gold singles, and filling arenas isn't the end all and the be all of influence, but, in order to influence you have to make SOME sort of penetration into the general sales driven marketplace.

I don't see the Ramones doing that with any meaning. I mean, were these thousands of people the Ramones were allegedly influencing all passing around the same album instead of buying it themselves?

East coast journalist types decided the Ramones started some sort of musical revolution and fed it to the press, until people started accepting it as fact.

Nothing more.
I was talking about the biggest band in the world notion, which clearly wasn't the case compared to other massive bands of the time. KISS barely sold albums compared to multi-platinum bands in the 70's and 80's for that matter.

Yeah, you are.

Seek help dude, you really need it when you take things like Kiss or the Ramones SO seriously you start messaging in private.

Grow up.
No, jackass - I was taking a discussion to PM that was pissing off people in a thread about the Destroyer deluxe edition - hence the title "Not The Thread For It".

That is what PM's are for among things - to take thread jacking back and forths to PM or didn't you know that.

You didn't even post this response in the right thread for fuck sake.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Nothing more.

Yeah, you are.

Grow up.
I would say it's getting out of hand with that one, but he has exhibited that behavior in the past. More of the same.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Both bands are so great & so influential.

I think that overall **musically,** the Ramones influence is stronger. Not by much.

In terms of marketing, merchandising, & live show theatrics, I give so much credit to Bill Aucoin & Sean Delaney’s vision. (RIP)

Every time I go to a gig, wether it’s a stadium with thousands, or a bar with 60 in the audience, I see Aucoin’s influence. Gigantic flames onstage, ornate wardrobes, over the top merch, etc.

This thread is a reminder to me to see Marky Ramone (in any capacity) sooner than later. Playing a gig, speaking, signing autographs at a comic convention, whatever. I gotta pay my respects to him in person.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

richardsimmons wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:17 pm
This thread is a reminder to me to see Marky Ramone (in any capacity) sooner than later. Playing a gig, speaking, signing autographs at a comic convention, whatever. I gotta pay my respects to him in person.
If you haven't, check out CJ's show when he comes to your town. Not an OG Ramone, granted, but two hours of amazing punk rock and the guy is an absolute gentleman.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:23 pm
If you haven't, check out CJ's show when he comes to your town. Not an OG Ramone, granted, but two hours of amazing punk rock and the guy is an absolute gentleman.
This is a great recommendation. Thanks. I love Mondo Bizarro, especially Poison Heart & Strength to Endure.

Part 2 - be proud of yer ugly mug ! I’ve got mine on here. 😂
Tbond
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tbond »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 am

Nothing more.

Yeah, you are.

Grow up.
No, jackass - I was taking a discussion to PM that was pissing off people in a thread about the Destroyer deluxe edition - hence the title "Not The Thread For It".

That is what PM's are for among things - to take thread jacking back and forths to PM or didn't you know that.

The only pissed off person in any of this is the troll that is you.

Congrats junior.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Tbond wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:57 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:19 am

Yeah, you are.

Grow up.

The only pissed off person in any of this is the troll that is you.

Congrats junior.
I am fine and I don't troll. I hope you having a great day.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Kiss was not too influential musically at all. Hardly anyone adopted Kiss' musical sound and style. Kiss' influence was virtually all in the clothes and the show. As far as actual music, the Ramones created a timeless sound that has even seeped into other genres of music. They are considered the second-greatest band of all time and second-most influential, maybe even the most.

I've said prior, many people think "influenced" and "inspired" are the same, but they aren't. Both bands inspired many musicians. (Take away Ace and Kiss hardly even inspired anyone musically.) But as far as musical influence, The Ramones are fifty universes ahead of Kiss, it's not even debatable.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Air Supply.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

redinthesky wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 pm Kiss was not too influential musically at all. Hardly anyone adopted Kiss' musical sound and style. Kiss' influence was virtually all in the clothes and the show. As far as actual music, the Ramones created a timeless sound that has even seeped into other genres of music. They are considered the second-greatest band of all time and second-most influential, maybe even the most.

I've said prior, many people think "influenced" and "inspired" are the same, but they aren't. Both bands inspired many musicians. (Take away Ace and Kiss hardly even inspired anyone musically.) But as far as musical influence, The Ramones are fifty universes ahead of Kiss, it's not even debatable.
Are you saying you can't hear KISS in Garth Brooks' music?
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

KISS by a mile.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:36 am Whitesnake.
:lol:
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:46 pm
redinthesky wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 pm Kiss was not too influential musically at all. Hardly anyone adopted Kiss' musical sound and style. Kiss' influence was virtually all in the clothes and the show. As far as actual music, the Ramones created a timeless sound that has even seeped into other genres of music. They are considered the second-greatest band of all time and second-most influential, maybe even the most.

Garth and GaGa both love Kiss and you sure can hear it all over their records 8)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

redinthesky wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:39 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:46 pm

Garth and GaGa both love Kiss and you sure can hear it all over their records 8)
One of my favorite guitarists is Richie Kotzen - a literal virtuoso on guitar and can play any style from rock, jazz, blues, classical and everything in between to perfection. Currently working on the third Winery Dogs album with Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan.

You would never guess that it was Ace Frehley of all guitarist that made him pick up the guitar in the first place - given their hasn't been a speck of Ace Frehley in his playing. Even when he was with Poison for the one album.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

Ritchie Ramone still tours too. He wrote alot of those mid 80's Ramones songs too.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

DaveinSpain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 am
Ritchie Ramone still tours too. He wrote alot of those mid 80's Ramones songs too.
He can wrote, he actually wrote a very popular 80's Ramones song, "Somebody Put Something In My Drink." His new stuff is also really good. Talented guy.

Marky Ramone mainly does his "Blitzkrieg" all-Ramones show, seen a few and they're really good. Always plays NYC during the holiday season now. Basically a Ramones tribute band with a Ramone in it, but a good way to get a Ramones fix.
StillAlive
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StillAlive »

redinthesky wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 pm As far as actual music, the Ramones...are considered the second-greatest band of all time and second-most influential, maybe even the most.
Pump the breaks lol
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

For those interested I've got some Ramones content to share.

We've Got the Airwaves is a 2 hour vid featuring live clips, interviews and more with the band from their inception until the hall of fame introduction.

I also had a chance to interview CJ when his last album came out.
http://ramonespinhead.blogspot.com/2019 ... -roll.html

Gabba Gabba!
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

The Stooges.
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

Not really sure.
Most of the bands I follow cite more KISS than Ramones, but I'm fully aware of Ramones inluence on many other bands.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Good place for this pic again, a Texas record store in 1977 where the Ramones were doing a singing, Joey posing with the big KISS display. Pic by Danny Fields, from his excellent photo book "My Ramones."

DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

DaveinSpain wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:53 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:50 pm
DaveinSpain wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:36 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:33 pm More influential to mediocre and/or irrelevant bands? The Ramones.
I dislike bands like Green Day or The offspring but I certainly wouldn't call them irrelevant. And not to mention the thousands of punk band and then off shoot of hardcore music. None of that would of happened with out The Ramones. Hard rock was around before Kiss. Punk was not around before The Ramones. And again I'm not arguing who was better we all have our musical preferences.
I did not call those two bands irrelevant.
No you did not but you said more influential to mediocre or irrelevant bands. I was using 2 examples of very popular bands influenced by The Ramones is all.
Both *are* mediocre and/or irrelevant, actually.

But I was pointing out that that's not what I had said.
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Ramones. They're a genre onto themselves. From what I observed firsthand, Johnny Ramone is a more influential guitarist than Ace, who is the most influential member of Kiss. Motorhead even have a song about Ramones called Ramones in all caps and Motorhead seem to be pretty darn famous and influential. Maybe in America it's different. But I like Kiss quite a bit more.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are so many bands that made sounding like the Ramones their whole thing. Bands like....

The Queers
Screeching Weasel
The Riverdales
The Mr. T Experience
Sloppy Seconds

....and lots more. Whether people have heard of these bands or find them irrelevant is not the point. The point is when there's a whole subgenre of bands that sound exactly like you, you are a very influential band.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

I originally went with KISS, but my mind's been changed. R.A.M.O.N.E.S. Ramones all the way. Gabba gabba hey, motherfuckers.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

In the Suds wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are so many bands that made sounding like the Ramones their whole thing. Bands like....

The Queers
Screeching Weasel
The Riverdales
The Mr. T Experience
Sloppy Seconds

....and lots more. Whether people have heard of these bands or find them irrelevant is not the point. The point is when there's a whole subgenre of bands that sound exactly like you, you are a very influential band.
Don't forget the Donna's. There 1st 2 albums sound exactly like 70's era Ramones. Is almost as if Joey quit And the Ramones got a female singer hahaha. But anyway I agree with ya 100%. I absolutely love Kiss, but I do stand by my opinion that the Ramones were more influential.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

I'll say this I'm just happy to have had both bands in my life. Oh and I still stand by Rock n Roll high school as the way better movie. But truthfully I don't think either band had much to do with how the films worked out. They were just musicians asked to act. Can't blame Kiss for the horrible editing of KMTPOFTP. And the Ramones lucked into staring in RNRHS. I've read they were not the 1st choice for that. Anyway I think this was a good thread. Lots of intelligent comments and thoughts. Also I'm happy to see so much Ramones love. They lost the vote but hey as I said I'm just happy to of had both bands in my life. Both bands are the soundtrack to my life. I couldn't picture life without either band.
Last edited by DaveinSpain on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

DaveinSpain wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:59 am
In the Suds wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 am As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are so many bands that made sounding like the Ramones their whole thing. Bands like....

The Queers
Screeching Weasel
The Riverdales
The Mr. T Experience
Sloppy Seconds

Don't forget the Donna's. There 1st 2 albums sound exactly like 70's era Ramones. Is almost as if Joey quit And the Ramones got a female singer hahaha. But anyway I agree with ya 100%. I absolutely love Kiss, but I do stand by my opinion that the Ramones were more influential.
Yes, even the idea that they're all called Donna comes directly from the Ramones.