KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
Wild Animals
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:58 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Wild Animals »

caligari wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 pm PURCHASED

5 Disc Box Set
2 LP Colored Vinyl
same!
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by sabresaxon »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:17 am Mark the calendar - KISS does something right for once in a VERY LONG TIME.
Yep, at first I assumed it was fan made.
User avatar
KissKing73
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 pm
Location: I'm over here!

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by KissKing73 »

Tito wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 pm Brave move for KISSonline to advertise for product preorders when the last project is still undelivered though.
I think Gene figured out this Ros guy is onto something....
User avatar
scotty971
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:36 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by scotty971 »

Ordered the Super Deluxe!
User avatar
King Of Hearts
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:20 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by King Of Hearts »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm All of the demos from the period are featured so there isn’t anything new that could’ve been added - the major difference is the quality is the absolute best it can be since it came from the bands vault. Even in the clip the snippets of DRC demo and Ain’t None Of Your Business sound much better than whats been floating around for years on the circuits. You can’t ask for anything better! Keep in mind that while there are Gene demos that are also featured on his vault, that project came out way before a Destroyer boxset was even thought about, and since the vault was much more costly, there are fans that still haven’t heard (let alone own) the tracks, so for COMPLETENESS, they are featured here and at a more affordable price (esp compared to the vault).

The live show is also from the archives, not off a radio broadcast, not from an audience recording. The vocals aren’t messed with! Isn’t that what fans wanted after hearing YWTB? Now we have a full live show from the original lineup, without any touchups. Sure other shows could have been used, but we have all heard (and watched) the Anaheim performance, the performance featured is special bc it is just after the albums release and the first time the band visited Europe - don’t forget this is a time capsule, it not only covers the US but everything else during that tour! This live show is what started it all, technically speaking. It’s something different.

As for the packaging, again its a time capsule. The concept was that it would bring the listener back to 1976, back to the house they were living in, the friends they had, gf/bf/wife/husband etc. you open it up and it all hits you at once, your memories and your memories of Kiss and what they were at the time. Looking at the contents I think the creators did an amazing job for what they were allowed to work with/include and taking price into the equation. The key sentence is “what they were able to work with.”

Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment and remember what it was like, what we were like, during this era? We can never go back - but this box set will give us the nostalgia, smiles we had when we were in the Kiss Army (the kit is included), or when we hung Kiss posters on our walls (they are included), when we heard the album for the first time or hundred time by the summer of ‘76 (its included), or looking through magazines for anything Kiss related (a book and mock newspaper is included), or putting stickers on our car bumpers or sneaking a tape recorder into a concert to capture that moment forever (both are included), or man I wonder what else is out there that we havent heard?? (Guess what, its included). So with all that being said - its really a decent price to re-capture our youth, isnt it??

Just my two cents
Well said.
User avatar
frwlbrng
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by frwlbrng »

Tito wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am At least we now know the actual title of "Smoke" is "It's The Fire".
And yet they got the title wrong with the Gene song "Night Boy". It should be "Night Fly".
Goady
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Goady »

69th_B1izard wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm
seattlekissfan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 pm
johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm All of the demos from the period are featured so there isn’t anything new that could’ve been added - the major difference is the quality is the absolute best it can be since it came from the bands vault. Even in the clip the snippets of DRC demo and Ain’t None Of Your Business sound much better than whats been floating around for years on the circuits. You can’t ask for anything better! Keep in mind that while there are Gene demos that are also featured on his vault, that project came out way before a Destroyer boxset was even thought about, and since the vault was much more costly, there are fans that still haven’t heard (let alone own) the tracks, so for COMPLETENESS, they are featured here and at a more affordable price (esp compared to the vault).

The live show is also from the archives, not off a radio broadcast, not from an audience recording. The vocals aren’t messed with! Isn’t that what fans wanted after hearing YWTB? Now we have a full live show from the original lineup, without any touchups. Sure other shows could have been used, but we have all heard (and watched) the Anaheim performance, the performance featured is special bc it is just after the albums release and the first time the band visited Europe - don’t forget this is a time capsule, it not only covers the US but everything else during that tour! This live show is what started it all, technically speaking. It’s something different.

As for the packaging, again its a time capsule. The concept was that it would bring the listener back to 1976, back to the house they were living in, the friends they had, gf/bf/wife/husband etc. you open it up and it all hits you at once, your memories and your memories of Kiss and what they were at the time. Looking at the contents I think the creators did an amazing job for what they were allowed to work with/include and taking price into the equation. The key sentence is “what they were able to work with.”

Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment and remember what it was like, what we were like, during this era? We can never go back - but this box set will give us the nostalgia, smiles we had when we were in the Kiss Army (the kit is included), or when we hung Kiss posters on our walls (they are included), when we heard the album for the first time or hundred time by the summer of ‘76 (its included), or looking through magazines for anything Kiss related (a book and mock newspaper is included), or putting stickers on our car bumpers or sneaking a tape recorder into a concert to capture that moment forever (both are included), or man I wonder what else is out there that we havent heard?? (Guess what, its included). So with all that being said - its really a decent price to re-capture our youth, isnt it??

Just my two cents
Thanks. You nailed it, man. Perfect post.
Ditto
Well said!!
User avatar
frwlbrng
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by frwlbrng »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 am
Dave's not here wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:06 am
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:55 am
Dave's not here wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:49 am Is this from the same people responsible for the Dubai NYE concert?
I’ll wait for the actual release on this one. No more Pre-orders, thank you.
Looks good though.
Looks like the real deal, no? I wouldn't sit on a purchase at this price, it's going to sell out and be rare as hell.
I’m not going to shit on this, because a lot of people are excited, but honestly what’s unique about this item? What’s included that we haven’t heard before? It’s a nice box set. But nothing really new in there. To those who ordered, enjoy.
I can’t pull the trigger on this one, as I’m still waiting for a damn magic book, and a DVD package of a NYE concert.
Dunno man, I've never heard any of the extra tracks at all, so it's a great opportunity to completely immerse myself in this classic record on its 45th birthday, tat and stickers an' all. I guess if you've already listened to all the rare stuff that's included then you shouldn't have opened your Christmas presents early. For me the entire thing is new.

You got a bum deal on Magic and the Dubai package for sure and I feel your pain on that.
All of these demos have been available in decent quality for many years, you can easily listen to all of them in Youtube. There's tons out there for free if you have an interest.
User avatar
Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8719
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Forevertj wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:27 pm
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am Hate to be "that guy" but no vinyl, no sale. I'm only interested in these box sets if I can get them on vinyl.

Edit: Never mind! I see that they do offer vinyl! Pre-ordered!



You couldn't give me vinyl. Straight in the trash it would go.
Image
User avatar
Sssnakester
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4984
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm
Location: BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Sssnakester »

I'm hoping the "Love Is Alright" demo has a complete vocal track instead of the repeated chorus only on the circulating demo.
User avatar
Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8719
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Can someone please clarify something for me, as the wording is a little confusing. So IS there a version of this boxset that includes the newly remastered version of Destroyer on vinyl or is it CD only and the vinyl version is sold separately from the box set?
Demian1977
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:26 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Demian1977 »

Just ordered the box set, coloured vinyl and DRC hoodie. It just goes to show when the fans get involved in a project it turns out A+! We have been waiting for this type of attention to detail for decades on a release. Thank you to whoever on this board that was involved. One question for those “ in the know”…are they planning on releasing another big release like this prior to Xmas? cuz if they are my Visa is going to be crying lol
Last edited by Demian1977 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Under The Rose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Under The Rose »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:08 am Can someone please clarify something for me, as the wording is a little confusing. So IS there a version of this boxset that includes the newly remastered version of Destroyer on vinyl or is it CD only and the vinyl version is sold separately from the box set?
It’s pretty clear. No vinyl in the box set.
YesterdaysLegend
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:08 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by YesterdaysLegend »

Havent heard Paris before. Started wondering why King of the night time world isnt there. Interesting to see how the setlists varied in 1976.

And Yes. Expecting more than YouTube quality.
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4623
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Is the Paris show complete? Or are songs cut?
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4623
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Would have liked a vinylbundle with the hard cover book.
User avatar
Curveboy
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9109
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:07 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Curveboy »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 pm The problem with comparing this to the Whitesnake boxset...is that's it's Whitesnake. Four, maybe five decent songs at the very most? A 12" EP has got you covered for that band. Nowhere near the same league as Kiss.
Oh man...I'd say you have some homework to do...Whitesnake are STILL releasing great music.
User avatar
destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1659
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:38 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by destroyerrnro »

If I were giving anyone advice I would suggest you purchase from Kissonline.
User avatar
Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8719
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 am Would have liked a vinylbundle with the hard cover book.
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
User avatar
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:45 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Tbond wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 am
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 am
steveh67 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 pm The problem with comparing this to the Whitesnake boxset...is that's it's Whitesnake. Four, maybe five decent songs at the very most? A 12" EP has got you covered for that band. Nowhere near the same league as Kiss.
KISS forum, so I wouldn't expect anything less, but come on Whitesnake has a lot of great songs.

Musician wise, some of those Whitesnake lineups wipe the floor with KISS.

As a singer, I would put Coverdale's best work at least on par with Paul Stanley for starters.

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?
Slow and Easy
The Deeper The Love
LOL. Are they as good as Sex Farm and Big Bottom?
User avatar
Curveboy
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9109
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:07 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Curveboy »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
That isn't true; CD still outsells vinyl in terms of UNITS.
Vinyl costs more so there is more money to be made by selling fewer units.
User avatar
Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8719
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Curveboy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
That isn't true; CD still outsells vinyl in terms of UNITS.
Vinyl costs more so there is more money to be made by selling fewer units.
I guess that's true. I guess what I was thinking about was the fact that vinyl sales are increasing year over year while CD sales are decreasing year over year.
User avatar
Goodwilltowardsall
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 am Would have liked a vinylbundle with the hard cover book.
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
I wonder if this release will turn up on Spotify? The soundboard recording did.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Grand Classic »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 am
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 am
steveh67 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 pm
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:52 pm The problem with comparing this to the Whitesnake boxset...is that's it's Whitesnake. Four, maybe five decent songs at the very most? A 12" EP has got you covered for that band. Nowhere near the same league as Kiss.
KISS forum, so I wouldn't expect anything less, but come on Whitesnake has a lot of great songs.

Musician wise, some of those Whitesnake lineups wipe the floor with KISS.

As a singer, I would put Coverdale's best work at least on par with Paul Stanley for starters.

Here I Go Again
Is This Love
Still OF The Night
Fool For Your Loving

What else?
The Snakebite EP
About half of the Trouble album
About half of the Lovehunter album
The whole Ready & Willin' album
About half of the Saints & Sinners album
Almost all of the Come & Get it album
The majority of the Slide It In album

Oh, and Coverdale's pre-Whitesnake pair of solo albums are worth investigating as well although only bits of them are hard rock. He was singing up a storm from '77-'84.
Yep. Stanley would have killed to have Coverdale's singing voice instead of his New York preacher vocals which isn't at all appealing to radio or the general public for the most part. Hence the notion that if any Paul song was done by another band like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith - it would be a huge hit.

Paul wishes his vocals were this soulful, which Coverdale has shown in spades from Purple to Whitesnake.

User avatar
50poundnote
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by 50poundnote »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 amI do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak
But you can't provide CD-quality digital files on vinyl. You can't put a 5.1 surround mix on vinyl. A vinyl-only box would negate some of the selling points.

If you have a turntable and an amp to run it through, you can get a CD player from Amazon for $20. Personally, I still have a 5-disc player, a single-disc player, and two computers with disc drives for ripping CDs.

All of the audio will most certainly be available through iTunes and streaming services after the box is released. They'd be dumb to turn down that extra revenue.

I get that this box isn't going to please everyone, but I'm very excited.
BarkBlue
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by BarkBlue »

Easy Catman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:43 pm
BarkBlue wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:54 pm Absolutely delighted with this. Looks to be exactly what most people have been asking for and not at too steep a price.

Dumb question but is there a UK link for pre-orders or is it all through the KISS store?
Those in the know have not answered any questions about this being sold elsewhere, but nothing on the website says it is exclusive to Kiss Online either. Hope no one misses out on this as it looks great but I am giving it a few days before I order mainly with the shipping costs in mind to the UK.
That's exactly where I am. I will definitely be getting myself one of these but will hold out for a while to see if I can mitigate shipping/taxes. Fingers crossed.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Grand Classic »

His Majesty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:59 pm Interesting that the Ezrin remixed version from a few years back is not included...
Ezrin told me yesterday that he had nothing to do with this package. Wasn't even contacted about potentially being involved, so that is most likely why the remix isn't included despite the one track.
User avatar
LiveToWin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by LiveToWin »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:53 am Would have liked a vinylbundle with the hard cover book.
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
I wonder if this release will turn up on Spotify? The soundboard recording did.
Most likely
User avatar
69th_B1izard
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Location: Gotham City

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:05 am
Curveboy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
That isn't true; CD still outsells vinyl in terms of UNITS.
Vinyl costs more so there is more money to be made by selling fewer units.
I guess that's true. I guess what I was thinking about was the fact that vinyl sales are increasing year over year while CD sales are decreasing year over year.
https://thevinylfactory.com/news/us-vin ... e-in-2021/
User avatar
KissKing73
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3571
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 pm
Location: I'm over here!

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by KissKing73 »

YesterdaysLegend wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:48 am Havent heard Paris before. Started wondering why King of the night time world isnt there. Interesting to see how the setlists varied in 1976.

And Yes. Expecting more than YouTube quality.
Well the Paris show wasn’t an actual Destroyer show, I guess it was an extension of the Alive tour, they were wearing those outfits and had the Alive stage. So it’s cool to hear them do Flaming Youth and DRC.
StillAlive
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:46 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by StillAlive »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment
This.
User avatar
Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8719
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

50poundnote wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 amI do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak
But you can't provide CD-quality digital files on vinyl. You can't put a 5.1 surround mix on vinyl. A vinyl-only box would negate some of the selling points.

If you have a turntable and an amp to run it through, you can get a CD player from Amazon for $20. Personally, I still have a 5-disc player, a single-disc player, and two computers with disc drives for ripping CDs.

All of the audio will most certainly be available through iTunes and streaming services after the box is released. They'd be dumb to turn down that extra revenue.

I get that this box isn't going to please everyone, but I'm very excited.
Oh I have CD players in the house. That's not the issue. I just dont buy CD's anymore and haven't in quite a while. I listen to vinyl at home and on the go I'm either streaming from Spotify or I download the lossless files from HD Tracks.com. I just wish they wouldve offered a vinyl version of the boxset.
User avatar
Julien
EXP20240130
Posts: 16488
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Julien »

Image
User avatar
Julien
EXP20240130
Posts: 16488
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Julien »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment and remember what it was like, what we were like, during this era? We can never go back - but this box set will give us the nostalgia, smiles we had when we were in the Kiss Army (the kit is included), or when we hung Kiss posters on our walls (they are included), when we heard the album for the first time or hundred time by the summer of ‘76 (its included), or looking through magazines for anything Kiss related (a book and mock newspaper is included), or putting stickers on our car bumpers or sneaking a tape recorder into a concert to capture that moment forever (both are included), or man I wonder what else is out there that we havent heard?? (Guess what, its included). So with all that being said - its really a decent price to re-capture our youth, isnt it??
This really hits the nail on the head. There are so many things that go on with any project that the consumer simply doesn't need to know. The fact that this product exists is a massive victory for the fans. I've always said that crystal clear versions of stuff, even if we've had it for decades, is what it's about for me. Thought and care has been put into it. Measure it, if you must, against previous KISS product. But for a moment, at least be thankful that it's been brought from concept, to drawing board, to reality. After it has been released, then we can go through it track-by-track, item-by-item, but the macro view for me is that it's PRETTY DAMNED COOL AND THE ANNOUNCEMENT MADE ME SMILE.
User avatar
Under The Rose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Under The Rose »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:21 am
50poundnote wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 amI do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak
But you can't provide CD-quality digital files on vinyl. You can't put a 5.1 surround mix on vinyl. A vinyl-only box would negate some of the selling points.

If you have a turntable and an amp to run it through, you can get a CD player from Amazon for $20. Personally, I still have a 5-disc player, a single-disc player, and two computers with disc drives for ripping CDs.

All of the audio will most certainly be available through iTunes and streaming services after the box is released. They'd be dumb to turn down that extra revenue.

I get that this box isn't going to please everyone, but I'm very excited.
Oh I have CD players in the house. That's not the issue. I just dont buy CD's anymore and haven't in quite a while. I listen to vinyl at home and on the go I'm either streaming from Spotify or I download the lossless files from HD Tracks.com. I just wish they wouldve offered a vinyl version of the boxset.
I don’t know that we need another vinyl release of Destroyer. If you want everything in the box set on LP it’s probably going to be an 8-record set which would put a lot of people off. I don’t think we need absolutely everything on vinyl and we’ve had the 2014 release, and Resurrected and the coloured vinyl releases of Destroyer in recent years.

Would be cool if the box set did allow for the album to fit inside properly though. That would make total sense.
User avatar
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4005
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: USA, Rockin' in the

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by CStomp1 »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 am Yep. Stanley would have killed to have Coverdale's singing voice instead of his New York preacher vocals which isn't at all appealing to radio or the general public for the most part. Hence the notion that if any Paul song was done by another band like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith - it would be a huge hit.
I've been waiting for you to make this point about Paul's vocals again. Where did you come up with this theory? How would you explain the likes of vocalists like Axl Rose and Ozzy having a ton of mainstream appeal while barely being able to carry a tune? Paul in his prime buries them vocally. His songs are in heavy rotation these days on Sirius, so it's not like radio is running away from Paul Stanley sung tunes.

You're the absolute only person I've heard float this theory. Who else out there with credibility has stated this?
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4623
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Curveboy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
That isn't true; CD still outsells vinyl in terms of UNITS.
Vinyl costs more so there is more money to be made by selling fewer units.
The margins on CD is way higher than on vinyl. Remove the production cost, and I question your statement about there being more money to be made from vinyl per unit.

Also, Lorde didn't even release her latest album on CD. I think that says something about the future of the format. Not saying that KISS target audience is the same, but still.

Should have had a vinylbox option with the hard cover book. But whatever. Cool release nonetheless.
Last edited by Spiritual_Chaos on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Grand Classic »

Julien wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:29 am
johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment and remember what it was like, what we were like, during this era? We can never go back - but this box set will give us the nostalgia, smiles we had when we were in the Kiss Army (the kit is included), or when we hung Kiss posters on our walls (they are included), when we heard the album for the first time or hundred time by the summer of ‘76 (its included), or looking through magazines for anything Kiss related (a book and mock newspaper is included), or putting stickers on our car bumpers or sneaking a tape recorder into a concert to capture that moment forever (both are included), or man I wonder what else is out there that we havent heard?? (Guess what, its included). So with all that being said - its really a decent price to re-capture our youth, isnt it??
This really hits the nail on the head. There are so many things that go on with any project that the consumer simply doesn't need to know. The fact that this product exists is a massive victory for the fans. I've always said that crystal clear versions of stuff, even if we've had it for decades, is what it's about for me. Thought and care has been put into it. Measure it, if you must, against previous KISS product. But for a moment, at least be thankful that it's been brought from concept, to drawing board, to reality. After it has been released, then we can go through it track-by-track, item-by-item, but the macro view for me is that it's PRETTY DAMNED COOL AND THE ANNOUNCEMENT MADE ME SMILE.
I agree with everything you have said here except one thing and this is only because we are the obsessed type - the kind of consumers that will want to know every aspect that went into this and those questions should be answered if asked at some point. It's the general public who doesn't care about such things.

Yes it is great that KISS have finally done something right like this and I look forward to it. The "reasonable" price aspect is still debatable as I think that is how much the Vault should have cost if you just bought those 11 CD's or whatever it was, but certainly this is reasonable when compared to KISS' usual pricing.

This is a great start and I hope it continues with a series of albums with as much detail paid to all of them.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Grand Classic »

CStomp1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 am Yep. Stanley would have killed to have Coverdale's singing voice instead of his New York preacher vocals which isn't at all appealing to radio or the general public for the most part. Hence the notion that if any Paul song was done by another band like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith - it would be a huge hit.
I've been waiting for you to make this point about Paul's vocals again. Where did you come up with this theory? How would you explain the likes of vocalists like Axl Rose and Ozzy having a ton of mainstream appeal while barely being able to carry a tune? Paul in his prime buries them vocally. His songs are in heavy rotation these days on Sirius, so it's not like radio is running away from Paul Stanley sung tunes.

You're the absolute only person I've heard float this theory. Who else out there with credibility has stated this?
Axl and Ozzy are even more appealing to people vocally than Paul Stanley and they are just viewed as being better generally speaking than KISS. Same reason with Brian Johnson and his balls in a vice vocals and yet AC/DC is a far bigger band than KISS.

Paul's New York Preacher vocal style has always been divisive. It's not a radio friendly vocal style even when compared to singers who can't traditionally sing well like a David Lee Roth. They still have character in their voice that is appealing which Paul lacks - hence the endless comments on here about how Paul songs would be huge hits if other singers with more general public appealing vocals sang them.

I am talking radio back in the day. KISS fans have been complaining for decades that radio hardly every played them and that someone like Paul Stanley is just not appealing to people on the radio like a Lou Gramm or Steve Perry of the time.
StillAlive
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:46 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by StillAlive »

CStomp1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am Paul in his prime buries them vocally. His songs are in heavy rotation these days on Sirius, so it's not like radio is running away from Paul Stanley sung tunes.
Confirmed.
My go-to stations are Ozzy's Boneyard and Hair Nation.
KISS is played ALL the time.
User avatar
shandi777
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7293
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 pm
Location: PA

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by shandi777 »

Ordered...finally doing it right. I hope these keep coming...I would be 100 percent in.
User avatar
HeavyMetal1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:58 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by HeavyMetal1 »

No way P&G came up w this. Someone paid attention to other bands and relayed the info. But finally they get something right. Keep plugging the real Kiss and I'm in. When they start focusing on the 80s crap, I'm out.. only the real Kiss for me
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Grand Classic »

StillAlive wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:07 am
CStomp1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am Paul in his prime buries them vocally. His songs are in heavy rotation these days on Sirius, so it's not like radio is running away from Paul Stanley sung tunes.
Confirmed.
My go-to stations are Ozzy's Boneyard and Hair Nation.
KISS is played ALL the time.
I am talking traditional radio with the general public in the 70's, 80's and 90's+. Not fan boy radio shows on Sirius where they also play Britny Fox and Trixter on regular rotation too.

Radio then vs. now is apples and oranges.
User avatar
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by misterhand80 »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 am Please shut up about Pearl fucking Jam! Literally no one cares!
Thanks for this! :idea:

Around here, seems every product or business model must pass the Pearl Jam and Whitesnake litmus tests. :roll:
User avatar
Goodwilltowardsall
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Julien wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:29 am
johnkissfan1974 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 pm Instead of picking it apart or shitting on what is (or not) included, or what other bands are charging and releasing, can we just shut the f-ck up and enjoy this moment and remember what it was like, what we were like, during this era? We can never go back - but this box set will give us the nostalgia, smiles we had when we were in the Kiss Army (the kit is included), or when we hung Kiss posters on our walls (they are included), when we heard the album for the first time or hundred time by the summer of ‘76 (its included), or looking through magazines for anything Kiss related (a book and mock newspaper is included), or putting stickers on our car bumpers or sneaking a tape recorder into a concert to capture that moment forever (both are included), or man I wonder what else is out there that we havent heard?? (Guess what, its included). So with all that being said - its really a decent price to re-capture our youth, isnt it??
This really hits the nail on the head. There are so many things that go on with any project that the consumer simply doesn't need to know. The fact that this product exists is a massive victory for the fans. I've always said that crystal clear versions of stuff, even if we've had it for decades, is what it's about for me. Thought and care has been put into it. Measure it, if you must, against previous KISS product. But for a moment, at least be thankful that it's been brought from concept, to drawing board, to reality. After it has been released, then we can go through it track-by-track, item-by-item, but the macro view for me is that it's PRETTY DAMNED COOL AND THE ANNOUNCEMENT MADE ME SMILE.
Damn!
User avatar
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4005
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: USA, Rockin' in the

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by CStomp1 »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:54 am
CStomp1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 am Yep. Stanley would have killed to have Coverdale's singing voice instead of his New York preacher vocals which isn't at all appealing to radio or the general public for the most part. Hence the notion that if any Paul song was done by another band like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith - it would be a huge hit.
I've been waiting for you to make this point about Paul's vocals again. Where did you come up with this theory? How would you explain the likes of vocalists like Axl Rose and Ozzy having a ton of mainstream appeal while barely being able to carry a tune? Paul in his prime buries them vocally. His songs are in heavy rotation these days on Sirius, so it's not like radio is running away from Paul Stanley sung tunes.

You're the absolute only person I've heard float this theory. Who else out there with credibility has stated this?
Axl and Ozzy are even more appealing to people vocally than Paul Stanley and they are just viewed as being better generally speaking than KISS. Same reason with Brian Johnson and his balls in a vice vocals and yet AC/DC is a far bigger band than KISS.

Paul's New York Preacher vocal style has always been divisive. It's not a radio friendly vocal style even when compared to singers who can't traditionally sing well like a David Lee Roth. They still have character in their voice that is appealing which Paul lacks - hence the endless comments on here about how Paul songs would be huge hits if other singers with more general public appealing vocals sang them.

I am talking radio back in the day. KISS fans have been complaining for decades that radio hardly every played them and that someone like Paul Stanley is just not appealing to people on the radio like a Lou Gramm or Steve Perry of the time.
I disagree. This is your opinion. Show me one other opinion like this. I'm on this board a lot and have been for more than a decade. I can't recall endless comments here saying Paul's songs would be hits performed by others.

I'm not comparing him to Gramm or Perry either - apples and oranges. Those are two of the elite vocalists in pop rock. I'm talking about direct contemporaries in hard rock.

How about someone like Geddy Lee? He's an acquired taste vocally, but it never held Rush back from mainstream appeal.

The point is there's a lot of variety in hard rock vocal styles. I don't agree that Paul's style somehow held KISS back from having more hits back in the day. In the 80's when MTV was playing music videos Paul's stuff was in high rotation/demand.

I think you really have a hard on for Paul Stanley is really what it is. You don't like his actions/comments of late, which many will agree with, but you also deride his vocals even from his peak.
User avatar
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Washington,DC

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by BagBoy »

Beyond excited. We have been wanting this for years!

For those upset, you must be a delight at parties.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6952
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Grand Classic »

CStomp1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:51 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:54 am
CStomp1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:35 am Yep. Stanley would have killed to have Coverdale's singing voice instead of his New York preacher vocals which isn't at all appealing to radio or the general public for the most part. Hence the notion that if any Paul song was done by another band like Bon Jovi or Aerosmith - it would be a huge hit.
I've been waiting for you to make this point about Paul's vocals again. Where did you come up with this theory? How would you explain the likes of vocalists like Axl Rose and Ozzy having a ton of mainstream appeal while barely being able to carry a tune? Paul in his prime buries them vocally. His songs are in heavy rotation these days on Sirius, so it's not like radio is running away from Paul Stanley sung tunes.

You're the absolute only person I've heard float this theory. Who else out there with credibility has stated this?
Axl and Ozzy are even more appealing to people vocally than Paul Stanley and they are just viewed as being better generally speaking than KISS. Same reason with Brian Johnson and his balls in a vice vocals and yet AC/DC is a far bigger band than KISS.

Paul's New York Preacher vocal style has always been divisive. It's not a radio friendly vocal style even when compared to singers who can't traditionally sing well like a David Lee Roth. They still have character in their voice that is appealing which Paul lacks - hence the endless comments on here about how Paul songs would be huge hits if other singers with more general public appealing vocals sang them.

I am talking radio back in the day. KISS fans have been complaining for decades that radio hardly every played them and that someone like Paul Stanley is just not appealing to people on the radio like a Lou Gramm or Steve Perry of the time.
I disagree.
I am devastated by this. You are wrong.

This has been endlessly spoken about on this board and the facts speak for themselves regarding public awareness of KISS songs vs. Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, VH and tons of other bands that got far more radio play and that people find far more appealing than KISS.

You are lying if you claim that you are never read anyone say here that such and such Paul song would be a huge hit if it was some other band more appealing to the public including a female fan base - this has been a constant comment to make excuses for why KISS are not more popular. I have seen many KISS fans here say that their wife/girlfriend doesn't like Paul's vocals. He is lispy, etc.

Chicks don't dig Rush. Even Rush acknowledged that. Rush is a nerd band and I mean that in the nicest way. Geddy is a terrible example, but even still - we are talking about Rush vs. KISS here.

But again, we are on a KISS forum where reality often doesn't exist.
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4623
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

50poundnote wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 amI do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak
But you can't provide CD-quality digital files on vinyl. You can't put a 5.1 surround mix on vinyl. A vinyl-only box would negate some of the selling points.
They do not put a 5.1 surround mix on a CD either?

And "CD-quality digital files" is not a selling point. Maybe in the mid 80s.
sicksickphil
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5142
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:57 am

Re: KISS pre-order 45th Anniversary Destroyer boxset

Post by sicksickphil »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:42 am
Curveboy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am
But then they couldn't sell you a vinyl copy separately. :roll:

I do find it weird that the format they chose for the boxset is the one that's the least popular now. By and large, people who are still buying their music are either buying digital or they're buying vinyl. CD sales are extremely weak.
That isn't true; CD still outsells vinyl in terms of UNITS.
Vinyl costs more so there is more money to be made by selling fewer units.
The margins on CD is way higher than on vinyl. Remove the production cost, and I question your statement about there being more money to be made from vinyl per unit.

Also, Lorde didn't even release her latest album on CD. I think that says something about the future of the format. Not saying that KISS target audience is the same, but still.

Should have had a vinylbox option with the hard cover book. But whatever. Cool release nonetheless.
Vinyl only cost between 1-2 dollars to make. So even if it is a double album it cost $4 to make. CDs a re a little less to make. So if an album sells for $25 that is over $20 of profit to split up. A cd selling $15 max which means only 14 to split up.