We'll never find out but....

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
HOFCity
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

We'll never find out but....

Post by HOFCity »

Who thinks a new LP or even just a couple new songs would generate more ticket sales??

I mean the ' show ' along with the same old songs are getting old to everyone, even themselves if they're being honest.

Would it really be that much work? ( serious question because I'm not a musician )
Man of a Thousand Aces

Re: We'll never find out but....

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Doubtful. Most of the audience nowadays are casual fans, who are there for the nostalgia, and not new stuff. Same reason putting "new" makeups on Tommy and Eric wouldn't be a draw.
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

Probably not much in terms of additional sales. They have been a nostalgia band for a long time. It would probably add a new bathroom break time in the set list for most people.
Strutterer
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Strutterer »

If you think about it, we're getting new songs via things like the Destroyer box set demos. Same people who are devouring that content would listen to a new Kiss song.

Most of the EOTR attendees just want to hear the hits. Nothing wrong with that; FAQers are just different! :)
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

They have wasted so much time it seems.
misterhand80
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by misterhand80 »

HOFCity wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm Who thinks a new LP or even just a couple new songs would generate more ticket sales??

I mean the ' show ' along with the same old songs are getting old to everyone, even themselves if they're being honest.

Would it really be that much work? ( serious question because I'm not a musician )
How'd that work out for their last 2 albums?

Getting old to everyone? Everyone that attends a KISS concert believes this? Define everyone, please.
sagedrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagedrummer »

HOFCity wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm Who thinks a new LP or even just a couple new songs would generate more ticket sales??

Having David Lee Roth or Cheap Trick open would have generated more ticket sales.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

^ that
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

I love the band, but that said, they've been doing the same act literally for forever. Paul flies, Tommy shoots rockets, Eric has a solo, Gene flies and spits blood. How many times can you see the same act over and over especially when the set list is the same?
Goodwilltowardsall

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Here is the conundrum about new songs. From what I can tell the general inclination on the FAQ seems to be a desire for any new songs to be like old songs, so what would be the purpose for new songs (unless they were like old songs) for veteran fans? The last album were they tried to recreate the classic KISS sound was a relative bomb.

Casual fans want to hear RARAN and the lovers in the audience want to hear Beth and otherwise don't really give a shit what they play because the visual presentation of the KISS concert experience is most salient.

The band wants to make more $ because apparently they don't have enough yet and primarily market to the new fans and know the veteran fans will stay loyal. I just don't see new material fitting in with the program, but am not an expert in this sort of thing.

Perhaps if they had a new, catchy hit that might help draw in a crowd, but rock bands don't have hits anymore, do they?
The Silver Spoon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by The Silver Spoon »

We’ll find out soon when the 4 new tunes for the Netflix biopic come out!
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

I don't think it would translate into anything meaningful increase for Kiss. They're not Metallica or the Rolling Stones, but they're still pretty high profile. I think new songs benefit acts like Ace who don't get as much press and play smaller venues.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

The Silver Spoon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:13 pm We’ll find out soon when the 4 new tunes for the Netflix biopic come out!
Four new tunes by the current lineup about a biopic that will be 95% about the original.
crimsonharpoon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by crimsonharpoon »

They’ve got plenty of songs that would at least be “new to the stage.” With as many albums as Kiss has recorded & considering how few songs they actually play live, they could freshen up the set plenty for both us and themselves w/o setting foot in a studio. Ample material to choose from for the set without losing the 3 or 4 songs that casuals come to hear… but … for some reason, they won’t bother making the (minimal) effort.
balish

Post by balish »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:48 pm I love the band, but that said, they've been doing the same act literally for forever. Paul flies, Tommy shoots rockets, Eric has a solo, Gene flies and spits blood. How many times can you see the same act over and over especially when the set list is the same?
How many times have you watched Star Wars?
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

The last three albums they released you folks massively shit on. Or stole. Why work on another one?
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

Any new stuff will be part of box sets etc.
AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

I would much rather the release a full album and play the full thing live for at least a few shows.

So sick of the only 2 new songs thing that they've lowered expectations anymore and caused the 'bathroom / beer run' thing because of it.
Glasgow Kiss

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I definitely don't think a new album or indeed new music would invigorate ticket sales, and at this point the most that will happen is a few new songs tacked onto yet another compilation tied into the biopic thing a la Killers or ST&H.

Perhaps what's happening at the moment with seemingly soft sales is a result of Kiss overestimating the demand to see them and overextending the tour beyond that demand. It's clearly not entirely their fault - they lost a year and a half to the C word and should have wrapped it up by now - but they may have been better served in the first place just doing a 40-50 date arena tour through major cities that would leave people wanting more.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

The U.S. economy is in for a sharp decline with tens of trillions in debt, rising inflation and energy prices raising the cost on everything else. Even if covid were to be erradicated tomorrow, this niche nostolgia market's going to go South, like a duck in Winter, once Americans start feeling the pinch.
zakman
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by zakman »

Works for Cheap Trick...
Glasgow Kiss

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm The last three albums they released you folks massively shit on. Or stole. Why work on another one?
There is of course the uncomfortable fact that many long-term fans thought that at least two out of those three were terrible records, and if all they could come up with at this point in time is Monster II, I'm personally fine with it never seeing the light of day.

I have to say in the current lineup's defence though that SB has grown on me over the last couple of years - I don't think it'll ever crack my top ten, but it's certainly a good bit higher up the list than it used to be.
Scumbag1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Scumbag1 »

Doubt it, they do not release anything new because there is little interest in it apart from hardcore fans. Not sure how more popular they became in Japan when they released the single with the girl band.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

We live in an age where the new Iron Maiden album sells 62k, and fans are slamming it too.

Can't see Kiss releasing another one.
KingOfHearts89

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

The way I see it, there is only two viable options:

1. Sell an album at the show, like what Black Sabbath did, but make 10k copies of the album and work out the percentages of how many were sold to how many where at the show for 5 shows and then only make more of what you know will sell. So, if you were doing 5 10k shows, and 500 people bought a CD per night. You know that 5% of people are interested to buy per show so you make enough for that 5% of people for every show.

2. Stick some new songs on the end of a live album, or even best, Def Leppard did this in 2011 with a live album, but I can't see why KISS couldn't do a KISS Killers Part 2, yes it's another greatest hits but sell them at the shows I think they could do well.

An example of this:

1. 'Let Me Hear Ya'
2. 'Backbone Slip'
3. War Machine
4. I Love It Loud
5. Strutter
6. Psycho Circus
7. Calling Dr. Love
8. Tears Are Falling
10. 'All Love Songs are Sad'
11. 'Takin' the cat to Jupiter'
12. Heavens on Fire
13. God Gave Rock & Roll to You
14. Beth
15. Rock & Roll All Nite - Live from an EOTR show
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:37 am We live in an age where the new Iron Maiden album sells 62k, and fans are slamming it too.

I love Maiden but I gotta admit, I like their "non-epic" songs much more than the epics. That new album, 81 minutes of music and just ten songs, those are long-ass epic songs! The last three alone break the 10, 11, and 12-minute marks.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

A new album or new songs would mean zilch.
It would possibly break even in itself.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

Those days are gone. And not just for KISS either. Can you imagine anyone hearing a new song on the radio, and then thinking to themselves, hey I’m gonna download that song to my phone and maybe buy the album. And then take the time to look them up on the Internet to find out when they’re going on tour so they can hear those songs played live? Doesn’t happen like that anymore. And CERTAINLY not for established fans of a group.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

You're dreaming. FORGET IT. It wouldn't.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Tommyr wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:29 am
You're dreaming. FORGET IT. It wouldn't.
It would if the songs were big hits. However, KISS will never have another “big hit.”
Doose

Post by Doose »

They should have written a song called "End Of The Road" to start the tour, and...

Oh. Nevermind.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

redinthesky wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:18 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:37 am We live in an age where the new Iron Maiden album sells 62k, and fans are slamming it too.

I love Maiden but I gotta admit, I like their "non-epic" songs much more than the epics. That new album, 81 minutes of music and just ten songs, those are long-ass epic songs! The last three alone break the 10, 11, and 12-minute marks.
Is the album bad tho? From what I've seen the fan reaction hasn't been positive for this one at all. Dickinson has commented on the backlash too, IIRC.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

balish wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm How many times have you watched Star Wars?
None. Never got into it.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Not massively into the new Maiden album but I'm glad they did it. You just know there'll be another one along next year or the year after and that's cool to think about and look forward to.
At least 50% of the last Cheap Trick album and AC/DC album is fantastic imo. These are songs I listen to a lot and give me a good feeling about the band.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 am
redinthesky wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:18 am

Is the album bad tho? From what I've seen the fan reaction hasn't been positive for this one at all. Dickinson has commented on the backlash too, IIRC.
It's your standard paint-by-numbers modern Maiden record (thematic opener, couple 4-5 minute 'singles', epics to close it.) I'm not seeing widespread backlash to it. To the detractors of it I'd just have to ask where have they been for the last ~30 years?

62k first week for Maiden's pretty good considering this is a band that never does any promo (besides YouTube/podcast interviews I suppose) or gets any radio play. They've really built up momentum stateside and have sustained it since around 2008-09. Hell, the 62k figure is a bigger debut than what Monster did in its first week.

Touching on that last point and circling back to the OP's question, I don't think having a new KISS record out would stimulate ticket sales. The hordes of casuals were going to see the band anyways for the show and the diehards (the only folks who would buy a new album to begin with) have probably already made up their mind on if they're going or not already.

At this point, the only way KISS will ever go into the studio is if Paul feels it's a creative venture worth pursuing.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

balish wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:48 pm I love the band, but that said, they've been doing the same act literally for forever. Paul flies, Tommy shoots rockets, Eric has a solo, Gene flies and spits blood. How many times can you see the same act over and over especially when the set list is the same?
How many times have you watched Star Wars?
Do you mean the 1977 Star Wars movie now with half the actors replaced and the rest now in their 70's. but still doing the same movie and it is supposed to be just as good? Nope I have not seen that Star Wars lately.
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

It would do nothing IMO. No one likes it when that play any songs from the last two albums at all.