Ace Frehley trying to play guitar for 30 minutes mumbling to himself (Video)

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StillAlive
Banned

Post by StillAlive »

February 26, 2018

SAD IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

There are no words to explain this, just watch the video below and well, you’ll see.

http://metalsludge.tv/sad-is-an-underst ... elf-video/
StillAlive
Banned

Re: Ace Frehley trying to play guitar for 30 minutes mumbling to himself (Video)

Post by StillAlive »

Is this video still available anywhere?
Has anyone seen it?
OHKISSFAN
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Ace Frehley trying to play guitar for 30 minutes mumbling to himself (Video)

Post by OHKISSFAN »

What was this from??

It also said 'video no longer available'
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I think it's from one of the Vault things.
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:07 pm February 26, 2018

SAD IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

There are no words to explain this, just watch the video below and well, you’ll see.

http://metalsludge.tv/sad-is-an-underst ... elf-video/
LEMON
Glasgow Kiss

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Most of the Vault guest appearances were pretty shambolic from everybody concerned from what I saw. I don't know whether some people were expecting some sort of professional MTV Unplugged scenario, but they tended to be more along the lines of a couple of people jamming half-songs badly.

Not sure why this one would be deemed particularly bad - the bar was pretty low.
MikeyB

Post by MikeyB »

StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:07 pm February 26, 2018

please post said video
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

No video = no proof.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

I am sure Alice Cooper picked Ace to open for him because he likes how he can't play the guitar.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

I remember this...between this and the Vinnie "non song playing" my assumption that anyone who is known to play music has 20 minutes of solo material at the ready, was dashed.
Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

We've all seen it before. It's from one of the Vault events. It was discussed to death already.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm I am sure Alice Cooper picked Ace to open for him because he likes how he can't play the guitar.
Well. I mean.

Alice is quite known for his charity work, after all.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

Was it as disappointing as Kruise appearance?
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm I am sure Alice Cooper picked Ace to open for him because he likes how he can't play the guitar.
Well. I mean.

Yes. Golf charities, etc. He like musicians who can play though.
StillAlive
Banned

Post by StillAlive »

sugardaddy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:25 pm Was it as disappointing as Kruise appearance?
Well there's this:

viewtopic.php?t=130607
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:32 pm
Well. I mean.

In his own band, sure.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:39 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:32 pm
Well. I mean.

In his own band, sure.
I am assuming that he also wouldn't want a mess of a guitarist opening for him and that he is well aware of his abilities hence the offer.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Well. I mean.

And clearly KISS is not, given the recent DLR situ.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

C'mon Ace -- don't be like that -- sharpen up!
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Bruce wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:46 pm C'mon Ace -- don't be like that -- sharpen up!
Does Ace use hearing aids?

Because that could be part of his problem, he cant hear what notes he is playing these days. :(
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Even our heroes are not immune against the ravages of time.
StillAlive
Banned

Post by StillAlive »

steveh67 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:44 pm he cant hear what notes he is playing these days
I wish I was so lucky.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Video without context. There is a story.
michaelstone1981
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by michaelstone1981 »

According to that date, I seen him just a couple months later at the Indy expo, and he sounded great.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

I saw Ace in 2019.

Never again, sorry.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:40 pm I saw Ace in 2019.

Never again, sorry.
Was it because he wasn't playing to a tape? I know some people like that now.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Never again, sorry.
Ace sucked.

No amount of whataboutism about Paul's vocal backing track is going to make Ace sound not shit.

He sounded like he had mittens on while playing.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:54 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Never again, sorry.
Ace sucked.

No amount of whataboutism about Paul's vocal backing track is going to make Ace sound not shit.

He sounded like he had mittens on while playing.
Fair enough if that was your experience. I just thought perhaps might have gotten used to a band now that plays to a tape across the board now.
Doose

Post by Doose »

I don't think Ace could have ever handled the EOTR tour. Too unstable, too unpredictable, and at this point in their lives and careers, Gene and Paul don't need it.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Doose wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 pm I don't think Ace could have ever handled the EOTR tour. Too unstable, too unpredictable, and at this point in their lives and careers, Gene and Paul don't need it.
That's rock and roll, baby. KISS shouldn't be a HEAVILY choreographed show like going to the Ice Capades where nothing changes regardless if you have seen it once or 1,000 times.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

I'm seeing Ace by proxy of me seeing Alice Cooper. I'll be 2nd row center. Let's see if he can do better than last time. For my sake, I hope he does.

I will always root for all KISS members to perform well and make people happy.
Starbandit74
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Starbandit74 »

Alice Cooper could give a damn about whether Ace can or cannot play well.

Alice only cares about whether he thinks Ace can sell enough additional tickets to make Alice more money.

Or Alice only cares about whether promoters will pay him a higher guarantee with Ace on the bill than without him.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:14 pm
Doose wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 pm I don't think Ace could have ever handled the EOTR tour. Too unstable, too unpredictable, and at this point in their lives and careers, Gene and Paul don't need it.
That's rock and roll, baby. KISS shouldn't be a HEAVILY choreographed show like going to the Ice Capades where nothing changes regardless if you have seen it once or 1,000 times.
It's rock and roll when you're 25. Not when you're 75. At some point Gene and Paul grew up. Ace never did. That's why Gene and Paul are worth millions, and Ace gloms off chicks and friends, and sells free guitars in hotels to unsuspecting fans.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Starbandit74 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Alice only cares about whether he thinks Ace can sell enough additional tickets to make Alice more money.

Or Alice only cares about whether promoters will pay him a higher guarantee with Ace on the bill than without him.
There are plenty other bands that could achieve the same result, if Alice thought Ace was a fucking mess.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Doose wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 pm
It's rock and roll when you're 25. Not when you're 75. At some point Gene and Paul grew up. Ace never did. That's why Gene and Paul are worth millions, and Ace gloms off chicks and friends, and sells free guitars in hotels to unsuspecting fans.
And yet Paul and Gene have become far more embarrassing as they continue to drive KISS into the fucking ground.
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

I think this video was on Mike Brunns channel and was taken down. There are still some videos there from these vault appearances all of which are quite bad, but that one was particularly bad - it's Aces equivalent of KISS You shook me performance in Tokyo.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Bingo.
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:33 pm

There are plenty other bands that could achieve the same result, if Alice thought Ace was a fucking mess.
So you're suggesting that people shouldn't believe their ears when they see and hear Ace playing badly but instead believe that he playes good because Alice Cooper chose him as an opener?
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Ratmir wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm

So you're suggesting that people shouldn't believe their ears when they see and hear Ace playing badly but instead believe that he playes good because Alice Cooper chose him as an opener?
I don't know. Some people have also said that was great at their show. It's a good sign that Alice wants Ace to open for him.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

It wasn't a good sing when KISS hired DLR. I said it before I saw DLR, and I said it after. Why? I thought he was going to be shit. And surprise - he was.

Ace, performance-wise, is more consistently off or outright bad than 'good'.

We shall see how he does on this tour. Again, I paid for it.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

Just going to use the old favorite that's been used for over a decade on here: "But you never actually notice it live."
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Anomaly wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 pm Just going to use the old favorite that's been used for over a decade on here: "But you never actually notice it live."
That's honestly pretty true of vocals - to a degree.
Ace kinda sucks live singing - but I don't notice it.

If Eric is playing bored as a post - yeah, I notice it. If Tommy started fucking up notes, I'd notice it.

It's hard to hear even Gene at my last show.

Vocals are just lower in the mix, usually. That's not an endorsement of performance, though.
So Cruel
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by So Cruel »

At least he didn’t have a tape of his guitar playing
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:44 pm

I don't know. Some people have also said that was great at their show. It's a good sign that Alice wants Ace to open for him.
Again, a lot of people say their EOTR show was great and Paul was singing live. I believe my ears.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Ratmir wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Again, a lot of people say their EOTR show was great and PAul was singing live. I believe my ears.
We all know that KISS is barely live now. They all have help now or go through the motions because it is just easier to program/pre-record the whole show.
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Again, a lot of people say their EOTR show was great and PAul was singing live. I believe my ears.
We all know that KISS is barely live now. They all have help now or go through the motions because it is just easier to program/pre-record the whole show.
Which doesn't make Ace sound any better
spacekace

Post by spacekace »

I also think it was on Mike Brunn’s channel at one time. If so, it was indeed an atrocity. One of his saddest appearances. I believe this was around the time there were rumours of a relapse. To me, it looked (and sounded) like he may have been suffering from dementia. I really pitied him :sad:
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

As a side note, Ace was never about playing technique. I bet the last time he "sat down and practised" was in the mid-70's.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

It's rock and roll when you're 25. Not when you're 75. At some point Gene and Paul grew up. Ace never did.
Bingo. Grown men still buying into the myth of "rock n' roll baby!" is embarrassing. Especially with a band as manufactured as KISS. What, you think they just spontaneously erupted into the Deuce dance at random one day?
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Ratmir wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:36 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:22 pm

Which doesn't make Ace sound any better
No, but when one give a pass to something as incredibly pathetic as what KISS is doing now, it is hard to take them seriously when they are critical of a guitarist who has ALWAYS been lazy and sloppy. At least it's real.