Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KissCannibal
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

Post by KissCannibal »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 am So how about that Dusty Hill, huh?
I know right..... :wink:
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

redinthesky wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 am
lord71 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:39 pm
Cesspool is a pretty strong characterization. You could be right.

My main disappointment with this place is that it seems as if literally no one is open to learning anything. No open minds. There's no possibility of teaching anyone anything, or even inducing them to think outside the box, because they think they already know everything, are 100.00% convinced that what they think they know is 100.00% accurate and valid, and have zero desire to even consider, let alone internalize and accommodate, new information, no matter how tactfully and rationally it's presented.

Arguing and debating and having opinions, even strong ones, is one thing. But refusing to be open to learning or to being enlightened is a palpable disorder.
What is there to really learn at this point about KISS if you have been a hard core fan since the 70's and pretty much consumed every bit of information and minutia about the band?

It also seems like you are implying that you are in a position to teach people here - believing that you know more than others, but no one wants to listen to you or they think you are wrong.
'Complete off-topic. Sorry.

How come you have already over 4k messages and have been member for ONE year?? That's 15 posts per day?
Congrats! :lol:

I must be one lousy MF having under 4k posts in 14 years...
That's not really fair, look at MY total! THere's a difference between simply making a basic comment (like, "Yes ITA! Great album!") and actually getting involved in discussions and have a back-and-forth. One discussion can maybe even add ten, twenty "posts" to your count. It's all about how you choose to participate.
Thanks man.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

KissCannibal wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 am So how about that Dusty Hill, huh?
Most of us FAQers (including me) must all be narcissistic jerks because we have not said anything about Dusty Hill. Paul at least mentioned him. That one ups most of us.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:33 am
KissCannibal wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 am
Most of us FAQers (including me) must all be narcissistic jerks because we have not said anything about Dusty Hill. Paul at least mentioned him. That one ups most of us.
To be fair, this thread is about Paul's quote and what he said specifically. There is a Dusty Hill thread here:

https://www.kissfaq.com/forum18/viewtop ... 8&t=143055
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

I stand corrected. This thread is about Paul rather than Dusty.
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by LordThurisaz »

I asked my girlfriend what she thought of the tweet's wording: "I think the mention of who opened for who is irrelevant and disrespectful." Pretty much.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

southernkiss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:02 am
curryleaf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:49 am At least he mentioned Dusty. He didn't post anything about Joey Jordison, despite Kiss and Slipknot having played festivals together and Slipknot owing a huge debt to Kiss in terms of visual image and influence on their members. In fact, it's quite strange Paul didn't take the opportunity to point out that 'No Kiss = no Slipknot'.

If he had said “no KISS = no Slipknot,” people on this board would be ripping him to shreds for being arrogant and inappropriately promoting his superiority complex. :wink:
On this board? Big whoop. The Maggots would've... uh, not been too kind, shall we say. Plus, Blabbermouth would've -- of course -- picked up what Corey thought of it.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

curryleaf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:19 am I'd argue Jordison was far better known, and more widely known, than any of them - and, as I said, the influence of Kiss on Slipknot is blatant.
Perhaps, but the influence of Michael Myers on Slipknot is even more so. They are the rest of the inmates Michael let out that night.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

redinthesky wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 am "You clowns"
"vermin"

You're really on a roll lately. Another unwanted critique of Faq posters by you with more insults. Man, you have really become the nasty, name-calling champ here.
Their purpose here seems to combat any negative thoughts from members of the board towards members of the band.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Look for a similar Tweet when Buck Dharma passes away.
Last edited by CStomp1 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Doose wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 am Here's someone secure with who they are:

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
I met Dusty in Canada when Heart was opening up for ZZ. He said “say, you play pretty good for a girl”.
I knew he actually meant it as a compliment. In Canada they were always called “Zed Zed Top” as I still call them to this day. Dusty will be missed.
Very sweet of Nancy.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
I met Dusty in Canada when Heart was opening up for ZZ. He said “say, you play pretty good for a girl”.
I knew he actually meant it as a compliment. In Canada they were always called “Zed Zed Top” as I still call them to this day. Dusty will be missed.
But if a variation of that was said by Paul some would probably say that he doesn’t need to bring up that Dusty gave him a compliment.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 pm

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
But if a variation of that was said by Paul some would probably say that he doesn’t need to bring up that Dusty gave him a compliment.
And if Paul had of said “not bad for a woman,” this board would erupt with accusations of misogyny.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
WOW!
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:12 pm
In the Suds wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:56 pm
Velvis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 pm Paul may not have meant it how it sounds to some, but I can guarantee if it was reversed and ZZ opened for Kiss back in the day and then Kiss opened for them recently, Paul would never had worded it that way.
That's a good point and you are absolutely right. He never ever would have said the reverse.
True. Gene & Paul just always have to say "they opened for us"
"We toured/played together" would be much better.
Indeed.
AxlisKing
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AxlisKing »

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
Probably not
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 am
curryleaf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:19 am I'd argue Jordison was far better known, and more widely known, than any of them - and, as I said, the influence of Kiss on Slipknot is blatant.
Perhaps, but the influence of Michael Myers on Slipknot is even more so. They are the rest of the inmates Michael let out that night.
Nah, if Michael Myers was real he would’ve hacked all twenty members to bits to spare himself from their crappy nu metal and generic “we-just-bought-random-masks-from-Party-City” image.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

AxlisKing wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
Probably not
So you think if Paul had a line that said “first met Dusty in the mid 70’s. He told me I was pretty talented for a member of KISS. I knew he meant it as a compliment” nobody would take issue with that? 🤔
Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 »

"Dusty Hill was in some band that opened for us. And now he's dead."

"But anyway, please buy my silly ass sneakers and fanny packs and a ticket to our Covid superspreader event coming to your hometown soon I hope!"

PS "I GOTS ta make da bucks! My demolished house isn't gonna rebuild itself!"
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 am

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
Very sweet of Nancy.
Definitely, and a nice recollection of a complimentary joke that was a sign of the times. Not many "girl rockers" back then especially who played instruments, so Dusty was simply giving some decent props in a male-dominated field. Kind of like saying "of course the gals can rock too, you go girl."
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Better than nothing I guess.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
Yep. "He's making it all about himself!!" :lol:

It's got to the point now that Paul could Tweet "Good morning everyone" and he'd be accused of being an insensitive prick to the people who aren't having nice mornings. :lol:
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

NHKISSFAN wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm I’ve loved KISS forever (since I was 10 in 1976) and took tons of crap for it for many years and have laughed recently as young kids comment on KISS t shirts they think are cool. Seems the elders (pun intended) get some respect these days.
That’s why I find myself SO annoyed by my favorite rock star of all time sounding like such an a#* in most quotes these day...... Sadly Dusty Hill passed away today. I checked an NBC News article that quotes Paul “So unique. Always a gentleman from the days of us opening for them through the recent days of them opening for us”. I suppose I should know better by now than to expect a straight up, complimentary quote but really? Just disappointing.......
Says more about you. That quote was full of compliments and positive statements. You choose to find the negative in it. Your choice.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 am
This is an interesting snippet... Jordison specifically talks about Peter Criss and Alive! being a major influence on him.

kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kwf484 »

Evo999 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:15 am
NHKISSFAN wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm I’ve loved KISS forever (since I was 10 in 1976) and took tons of crap for it for many years and have laughed recently as young kids comment on KISS t shirts they think are cool. Seems the elders (pun intended) get some respect these days.
That’s why I find myself SO annoyed by my favorite rock star of all time sounding like such an a#* in most quotes these day...... Sadly Dusty Hill passed away today. I checked an NBC News article that quotes Paul “So unique. Always a gentleman from the days of us opening for them through the recent days of them opening for us”. I suppose I should know better by now than to expect a straight up, complimentary quote but really? Just disappointing.......
Says more about you. That quote was full of compliments and positive statements. You choose to find the negative in it. Your choice.
I see the negative also...you choose to ignore it. Ignorance is bliss
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

kwf484 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:46 am
Focusing on the negative when the majority of the statement is CLEARLY positive is simply evidence of someone looking to complain. Always able to find the vinegar.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:57 am
Focusing on the negative when the majority of the statement is CLEARLY positive is simply evidence of someone looking to complain. Always able to find the vinegar.
Paul loves to cook with vinegar bro. You just love the taste of it
Tbond
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tbond »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:43 pm

Nancy Wilson
11h ·
And if Paul had of said “not bad for a woman,” this board would erupt with accusations of misogyny.
It is misogynistic, disrespectful and asinine.

Just because a dead guy said it doesn't make it any more palatable.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Tbond wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:08 am

Nancy Wilson
11h ·

The time of the quote was in the friggin 70’s man, different times. And it still isn’t an offensive quote if you aren’t a flake.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Nancy Wilson
11h ·

You missed the part about it being a dead guy who said it back in the 1970s (I'm assuming). I highly doubt that Dusty would have said something like that today.

Props to Nancy for understanding that nothing misogynistic, disrespectful and asinine was intended.

I'm glad we are getting more enlightened as a society, but I do miss the days when we had a little bit thicker skin.
kanister
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kanister »

southernkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:07 pm I do not think anything was wrong with his Tweet. Knowing how some people on this board react, he would have received more criticism for not tweeting about Dusty.
and less for not mentioning ZZ Top was recently their support act
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 am

I'm guessing you prefer to cook with whine? ;)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 am

Nancy Wilson
11h ·

It's got to the point now that Paul could Tweet "Good morning everyone" and he'd be accused of being an insensitive prick to the people who aren't having nice mornings. :lol:
No, actually - it would be a refreshing for Paul just to tweet "Good morning everyone" without some other comment propping himself up or anything else that is usually eye rolling.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 am

Nancy Wilson
11h ·

There are people who would criticize Paul for not Tweeting at all in the morning. After all, he needs to Tweet whether or not he wakes up with morning wood or not! It is every fan’s business!

Why has Paul not posted pictures of his pubic hair style on Twitter? The absence of announcing to his fans and the public how he styles his pubic hair is so disrespectful! That ranks right up there with lip syncing in awfulness!
Doose

Post by Doose »

I think people are upset with Paul's ego getting in the tweet. It would be like a boss you used to work for, and then you became their boss. If they died, in your condolences, you wouldn't say, "I remember I worked for Bill when I started, but then at the end Bill worked for me." People would say, "Wow, what a dick." There's just no need for pointing out the juxtaposition.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Sometimes Paul can be rude. But Not here. There is nothing malicious about this comment, IMO.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 am I think people are upset with Paul's ego getting in the tweet. It would be like a boss you used to work for, and then you became their boss. If they died, in your condolences, you wouldn't say, "I remember I worked for Bill when I started, but then at the end Bill worked for me." People would say, "Wow, what a dick." There's just no need for pointing out the juxtaposition.
I think I have the best looking pubic hair in the world. Does that mean I am arrogant?

For well over four decades, KISS has advertised themselves as the hottest band in the world! How dare they?! What a bunch of pricks! They put themselves above every other one of the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of bands in the world! Most of those bands they have never even heard play! What a bunch of arrogant assholes!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

southernkiss wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:01 am
Doose wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 am I think people are upset with Paul's ego getting in the tweet. It would be like a boss you used to work for, and then you became their boss. If they died, in your condolences, you wouldn't say, "I remember I worked for Bill when I started, but then at the end Bill worked for me." People would say, "Wow, what a dick." There's just no need for pointing out the juxtaposition.
I think I have the best looking pubic hair in the world. Does that mean I am arrogant?

For well over four decades, KISS has advertised themselves as the hottest band in the world! How dare they?! What a bunch of pricks! They put themselves above every other one of the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of bands in the world! Most of those bands they have never even heard play! What a bunch of arrogant assholes!
Paul is arrogant, even Paul knows this. And has known so, probably before most here were even born.

Really, what is going-on here, is 'the internet' isn't cognizant of Paul's historical relationship with both Billy & Dusty, plain n' simple.

🤔
Last edited by jkiss on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:46 am
TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:02 am
I'm guessing you prefer to cook with whine? ;)
Ya know, it’s interesting…
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Wichita77 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:25 am

You missed the part about it being a dead guy who said it back in the 1970s (I'm assuming). I highly doubt that Dusty would have said something like that today.

Props to Nancy for understanding that nothing misogynistic, disrespectful and asinine was intended.

I'm glad we are getting more enlightened as a society, but I do miss the days when we had a little bit thicker skin.
I don't think it was about having a thicker skin, the general dynamics between men & women were simply different.

Just like (in being a woman), it would've been ridiculous for me to think (even for one nanosecond) I could ever be 'allowed' to pilot a fighter jet. And so just don't even bother to think it. I always needed to remember 'my place', that would've been preferably over in the kitchen.

🤔
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

firekiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm It amazes me what some people focus on.

Icon
Gentlemen
Thank you

Those are the words I saw.

RIP Dusty
Paul reminding us how ZZ Top ended up opening for Kiss was simply not the most tactful move in this context.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

This thread is pushing 200 posts! It is interesting how the longest threads on this board seem to be about
Paul’s Tweets.

What can I say? About fifteen of the posts are mine.
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

gene therapist wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 pm
firekiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm It amazes me what some people focus on.

Icon
Gentlemen
Thank you

RIP Dusty
Paul reminding us how ZZ Top ended up opening for Kiss was simply not the most tactful move in this context.
I think this board is sometimes blaming Paul for no reason.
Here I feel that the "we won" mantra was inserted without being needed.
Maybe G&P™ sometimes have "we won tourette" ... ? :lol:
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

southernkiss wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm This thread is pushing 200 posts! (...) What can I say? About fifteen of the posts are mine.
Indeed! Fill up the forum, sir--!!
That ... is what it is there for.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

jkiss wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:24 pm
Wichita77 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:25 am

I don't think it was about having a thicker skin, the general dynamics between men & women were simply different.

Just like (in being a woman), it would've been ridiculous for me to think (even for one nanosecond) I could ever be 'allowed' to pilot a fighter jet. And so just don't even bother to think it. I always needed to remember 'my place', that would've been preferably over in the kitchen.

🤔
My comment about "thicker skin" was directed at the person who was slamming Dusty about something he said over 40 years ago. I hate that whole Retro-Retribution thing. There was nothing mean-spirited about it back then, while today it would rightfully be taken as condescending, misogynistic, ridiculous and totally asinine, as it should be.

Your comment, however, is spot on. Back then the dynamics were different. How we defined our roles were different. Still there were those who defied those definitions, paving the way for where we are today. I recall Betty Skelton, a pilot and test driver, trying out with NASA to be an astronaut during the Mercury Space Program. She knew she wouldn't get a seat on a mission, but she proved that she could handle the training anyway.

They nicknamed her Mercury 7 1/2. She didn't take it as an insult either.

She had thick skin and she knew better.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Icon
Gentlemen
Thank you

RIP Dusty
And the fact that some people here focused on that and completely ignored the rest is telling of what this place has become.
adamsebas
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by adamsebas »

Paul used to be my favourite personality in kiss and pretty much across the board in rock. Now, i can't stand his holier than thou attitude and the way he consistently preaches and consistently has to try and make himself look better. Also, he will only compliment those who praise or acknowledge himself/kiss first (i.e. recently foo fighters/green day)....bitter, troubled person!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Icon
Gentlemen
Thank you

RIP Dusty
And the fact that some people here focused on that and completely ignored the rest is telling of what this place has become.
You don't think people would prefer that their rock hero Paul didn't make them cringe at every turn whenever he says something? You can't say he doesn't often deserve the backlash, even if you don't think this is one such example.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm

Icon
Gentlemen
Thank you

RIP Dusty
You don't think people would prefer that their rock hero Paul didn't make them cringe at every turn whenever he says something? You can't say he doesn't often deserve the backlash, even if you don't think this is one such example.
Sure, sometimes he says something he shouldn't. We all do. But to only see the perceived bad and always ignore the good?

Sorry, but some people here have drank their own kind of koolaid and are seeing the Kiss world through their own shit coloured glasses.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:58 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm

Sure, sometimes he says something he shouldn't. We all do. But to only see the perceived bad and always ignore the good?

Sorry, but some people here have drank their own kind of koolaid and are seeing the Kiss world through their own shit coloured glasses.
Maybe some people just have different personalities. Half full vs half empty kind of thing. People get more cynical as they age, etc.