Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

A dedicated forum to discussion of other bands. Wanna talk LL Cool J? Go for it! Prince? Go for it! Spice Girls or Lady Gaga? Go for it! Don't get pigeon-holed into liking just one genre of music!
Uzi_of_Ooze
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

Post by battra »

Well. That's definitely a take.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Dennis DeYoung interview: 'no band has worked harder than Styx at diminishing its own reputation'

Post by rwgriffith »

I enjoyed that...even had a quick mention of KISS. πŸ˜†
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

Just doesn't seem right that the guy who started Styx and was a MAJOR factor to their success doesn't actually have control of the name, but the guy he hired - Shaw - does.
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

The last two albums they put out have been fantastic! Much better than if DeYoung was still in the band!

They don't need him.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:21 pm The last two albums they put out have been fantastic! Much better than if DeYoung was still in the band!

They don't need him.
His last two solo albums are quite good. I would say they both have been making great music.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:36 pm
B5Erik wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:21 pm The last two albums they put out have been fantastic! Much better than if DeYoung was still in the band!

They don't need him.
His last two solo albums are quite good. I would say they both have been making great music.
I've heard his stuff. Sounds like really good amateur stuff. It's nowhere near the level of what he did in Styx, and nowhere near as good as the last two Styx albums.

He seems like a great guy, but he's also a dictator within the band, and that's why they won't have him back. He's like Steve Perry - he takes over.
styxter

Post by styxter »

They don't need him.
You are out of your mind. DeYoung IS Styx and their last two albums are a borefest. Tommy Shaw is a complete hypocrite.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

styxter wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:03 pm

They don't need him.
You are out of your mind. DeYoung IS Styx and their last two albums are a borefest. Tommy Shaw is a complete hypocrite.
Clearly, you didn't listen to them. They're brilliant albums without the Dennis DeYoung sappy showtune aspects.
styxter

Post by styxter »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:12 pm

They don't need him.
Clearly, you didn't listen to them. They're brilliant albums without the Dennis DeYoung sappy showtune aspects.
Negative, they're terrible. The Mission sounds like a High School project and Crash of The Crown is simply unlistenable. Dennis' last three albums are far superior. DeYoung was the Styx sound and the genius behind their success. And before you go there I'll spare you the time, Babe and Mr. Roboto are two of the most succesful songs they ever had like em or not. As talented as Shaw is, he's a mess on his own kinda like Vinnie and the guy he's given control to, Will, has completely destroyed the Styx sound. As far as this thread goes, I'm out. Neither of us are going to change our opinions and I'm not a back and forth 20 response guy here. And to say Deyoung is amateurish, geez....ok then. You might need a new stereo and hearing test.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

styxter wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm
B5Erik wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:12 pm

They don't need him.
Negative, they're terrible. The Mission sounds like a High School project and Crash of The Crown is simply unlistenable. Dennis' last three albums are far superior. DeYoung was the Styx sound and the genius behind their success. And before you go there I'll spare you the time, Babe and Mr. Roboto are two of the most succesful songs they ever had like em or not. As talented as Shaw is, he's a mess on his own kinda like Vinnie and the guy he's given control to, Will, has completely destroyed the Styx sound. As far as this thread goes, I'm out. Neither of us are going to change our opinions and I'm not a back and forth 20 response guy here. And to say Deyoung is amateurish, geez....ok then. You might need a new stereo and hearing test.
Sorry, anyone who thinks that Crash of the Crown is unlistenable isn't listening - or has really bad taste that I don't share.

Both The Mission and Crash of the Crown are highly regarded among Styx fans. They lack the schmaltzy, showtuney, sappy stuff that DeYoung brings to the table. THANK GOD.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

I don't have a dog in this fight.

DDY's last album was better than Crash Of The Crown. And sounds more like classic Styx.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am I don't have a dog in this fight.

DDY's last album was better than Crash Of The Crown. And sounds more like classic Styx.
To each his own.

To me, the DDY stuff was either schmaltzy, sappy, showtuney stuff or unconvincing attempts at Rock.
jestor92
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jestor92 »

I really like Dennis’ One Hundred Years From Now. His last two albums would’ve made a decent album combined, but as two albums they weren’t good. The Mission and Crash of the Crown musically are good albums, but they don’t really have any stand out songs that makes me want to listen to it often or consistently.
acevog75

Post by acevog75 »

How are they diminishing their rep? By sounding fantastic as an arena band? I get it, I’d like to see him do another tour with them, it they're doing just fine as they are.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 am
Wiped Out 78 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am I don't have a dog in this fight.

To each his own.

To me, the DDY stuff was either schmaltzy, sappy, showtuney stuff or unconvincing attempts at Rock.
To be fair and preferences aside, this could have easily been on a Styx album (outside of the modern day lyrics) and I know you know that. Tom Morello is playing on this too.

B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:27 pm

To each his own.

To be fair and preferences aside, this could have easily been on a Styx album (outside of the modern day lyrics) and I know you know that. Tom Morello is playing on this too.

Style wise - yes, it fits. But it's also just a little cheesy, and isn't of the same songwriting class as the last two Styx albums. For this to be on one of those albums it would have had to replace a superior song.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:11 am
Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:27 pm

To each his own.

Style wise - yes, it fits. But it's also just a little cheesy, and isn't of the same songwriting class as the last two Styx albums. For this to be on one of those albums it would have had to replace a superior song.
I agree with you that the Styx albums are good. They are both making good music. My overall point is that I think if De Young came back for a new album, I have no doubt that it would be a strong reunion record because he has been delivering on his own with these last two albums. We are not talking Psycho Circus here.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 am
I agree with you that the Styx albums are good. They are both making good music. My overall point is that I think if De Young came back for a new album, I have no doubt that it would be a strong reunion record because he has been delivering on his own with these last two albums. We are not talking Psycho Circus here.
But, here's the thing - DeYoung is a bit of a dictator. He'd take over the project. That's what Tommy and JY don't want. If he could be a humble, equal partner in the band, backing off when they don't want to go in his direction, that would be one thing, but that's not how he works. He's even admitted as much.

So, because of his controlling personality, a reunion album wouldn't work.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 am
But, here's the thing - DeYoung is a bit of a dictator. He'd take over the project. That's what Tommy and JY don't want. If he could be a humble, equal partner in the band, backing off when they don't want to go in his direction, that would be one thing, but that's not how he works. He's even admitted as much.

I don't disagree, but perhaps it is fair to say that Styx is actually his band that was taken away from him.

Tommy having control over Dennis would be like Bruce Kulick having control over Paul. Tommy isn't an original member - hell he might not have a career if not for Dennis.

Preferences aside, you don't think Dennis has been shafted in any way?
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 am

I don't disagree, but perhaps it is fair to say that Styx is actually his band that was taken away from him.

Tommy having control over Dennis would be like Bruce Kulick having control over Paul. Tommy isn't an original member - hell he might not have a career if not for Dennis.

Dennis shafted Dennis.

By being a petty dictator and treating the other guys like hired help, when they played key roles in making Styx a success, is what got him kicked out of his own band.

Imagine Paul and Gene treating Ace and Peter the way they did - only in this fantasy Ace and Peter were hard workers who put in just as much time and effort as Gene and Paul.

That's the Styx scenario. Dennis treated Tommy and JY like they were slackers who were beneath him. But they weren't slackers, and they weren't beneath him. They worked their asses off and wrote (and sang) great songs. They were just as important to the success of the band as Dennis. Without them Dennis writes schmalzy showtunes and goes nowhere.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Dennis shafted Dennis.

By being a petty dictator and treating the other guys like hired help, when they played key roles in making Styx a success, is what got him kicked out of his own band.

Imagine Paul and Gene treating Ace and Peter the way they did - only in this fantasy Ace and Peter were hard workers who put in just as much time and effort as Gene and Paul.

That's the Styx scenario. Dennis treated Tommy and JY like they were slackers who were beneath him. But they weren't slackers, and they weren't beneath him. They worked their asses off and wrote (and sang) great songs. They were just as important to the success of the band as Dennis. Without them Dennis writes schmalzy showtunes and goes nowhere.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 am

Dennis shafted Dennis.

I don't see it like that. While I agree he wanted to be in control and have final say even to the point of being viewed as a dictator, he certainly encouraged Tommy and JY's contributions and has acknowledged the great albums they have made together as a band. I don't get the slackers part at all.

We are not talking KISS here, where Paul didn't really allow Eric Carr or Bruce Kulick to contribute songs to albums which he wasn't involved in as a co-writer, causing the friction between Paul and Eric. KISS members have often gotten stifled.

I don't think Styx members were in the classic days. Kilroy really started the problems especially for Tommy with what he said about not being able to write songs about robots and of course the disastrous almost Broadway style Kilroy tour.
battra

Post by battra »

styxter wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm Negative, they're terrible. The Mission sounds like a High School project and Crash of The Crown is simply unlistenable. Dennis' last three albums are far superior. DeYoung was the Styx sound and the genius behind their success. And before you go there I'll spare you the time, Babe and Mr. Roboto are two of the most succesful songs they ever had like em or not. As talented as Shaw is, he's a mess on his own kinda like Vinnie and the guy he's given control to, Will, has completely destroyed the Styx sound. As far as this thread goes, I'm out. Neither of us are going to change our opinions and I'm not a back and forth 20 response guy here. And to say Deyoung is amateurish, geez....ok then. You might need a new stereo and hearing test.
All you need to know about what passes for Styx these days and Dennis is that on their last show...they played 10 songs from the Dennis Era, including Mr. Roboto, 3 songs from Crash of the Crown, and 1 song from the Mission.

No songs from: Big Bang Theory, Cyclorama, or Brave New World.

They have five albums sans Dennis...plenty of songs to make up a setlist to exclude the man...
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

battra wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:06 am
styxter wrote: ↑Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm Negative, they're terrible. The Mission sounds like a High School project and Crash of The Crown is simply unlistenable. Dennis' last three albums are far superior. DeYoung was the Styx sound and the genius behind their success. And before you go there I'll spare you the time, Babe and Mr. Roboto are two of the most succesful songs they ever had like em or not. As talented as Shaw is, he's a mess on his own kinda like Vinnie and the guy he's given control to, Will, has completely destroyed the Styx sound. As far as this thread goes, I'm out. Neither of us are going to change our opinions and I'm not a back and forth 20 response guy here. And to say Deyoung is amateurish, geez....ok then. You might need a new stereo and hearing test.
All you need to know about what passes for Styx these days and Dennis is that on their last show...they played 10 songs from the Dennis Era, including Mr. Roboto, 3 songs from Crash of the Crown, and 1 song from the Mission.

No songs from: Big Bang Theory, Cyclorama, or Brave New World.

They have five albums sans Dennis...plenty of songs to make up a setlist to exclude the man...
Why exclude the classics/hits? That would be stupid.

They aren't trying to dismiss the man's talent or what he did for the band - just HIM as a dictatorial person who made their lives miserable.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

Were they just big in the US? I'd never heard of them until they were mentioned on here.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

woodworm001 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:53 am Were they just big in the US? I'd never heard of them until they were mentioned on here.
I don't know. Maybe. Van Halen was HUGE in the U.S. but only had a marginal presence in Europe. Styx wasn't as big as Van Halen, so it's easy to imagine their success being mostly U.S. based.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

I've seen Styx without DDY, and thought, "Wow, I don't miss Dennis at all."

I've also seen DDY with his Tommy & JY clones, and thought. "Wow, I don't miss Tommy & JY at all."

Win win, I guess.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

I agree that Dennis shafted Dennis and that is too bad.

I prefer Styx to Dennis solo but I am fine with seeing both as is.

I think the last two Styx records are fantastic.
I think the last few Dennis records are just okay.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Regardless of personal feelings, Dennis is sorely missed. I just got back from seeing Styx (a rare local show for me... the 8-minute drive beats the hell out of the usual 2.5 hours, lol). Let me go ahead and say I enjoyed the show alot, I was actually OK with the new stuff (to an extent...probably 2 songs too many TBH), and I'm glad I went. That being said...c'mon man, face it, Styx without Dennis is a huge downgrade. Especially frustrating is that not only are his vocals in top form, he legit wants to be in the band. So fucking what if you don't get along with him...do your job onstage, then ride in separate buses for all I care. I'd get it if Dennis' voice was shot and/or he had nothing to contribute, but that isn't the case. The show was at a 2,800 seater on a Friday night, and it was probably 35-40 percent empty. With Dennis, they could've packed the joint, and possibly the arena next door too, fact.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:55 pm Regardless of personal feelings, Dennis is sorely missed. I just got back from seeing Styx (a rare local show for me... the 8-minute drive beats the hell out of the usual 2.5 hours, lol). Let me go ahead and say I enjoyed the show alot, I was actually OK with the new stuff (to an extent...probably 2 songs too many TBH), and I'm glad I went. That being said...c'mon man, face it, Styx without Dennis is a huge downgrade. Especially frustrating is that not only are his vocals in top form, he legit wants to be in the band. So fucking what if you don't get along with him...do your job onstage, then ride in separate buses for all I care. I'd get it if Dennis' voice was shot and/or he had nothing to contribute, but that isn't the case. The show was at a 2,800 seater on a Friday night, and it was probably 35-40 percent empty. With Dennis, they could've packed the joint, and possibly the arena next door too, fact.
How is it a downgrade? Gowan has a great voice and handles any DeYoung songs as well as DeYoung does these days (and, contrary to your statements above - DeYoung's voice IS diminished compared to 20-30 years ago). DeYoung is still a decent singer and does what he does well, but Gowan does the same thing just as well, only Gowan's a team player.

DeYoung is a shmaltzy, goofy, showtune loving kind of guy. And he's NOT a team player. He wants to be the coach and the quarterback. There's no way he comes back and doesn't try to run things again. He's like Steve Perry in that regard. They both have horrible cases of LSD.
Vandelay Industries

B5Erik wrote: ↑Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:37 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:55 pm Regardless of personal feelings, Dennis is sorely missed. I just got back from seeing Styx (a rare local show for me... the 8-minute drive beats the hell out of the usual 2.5 hours, lol). Let me go ahead and say I enjoyed the show alot, I was actually OK with the new stuff (to an extent...probably 2 songs too many TBH), and I'm glad I went. That being said...c'mon man, face it, Styx without Dennis is a huge downgrade. Especially frustrating is that not only are his vocals in top form, he legit wants to be in the band. So fucking what if you don't get along with him...do your job onstage, then ride in separate buses for all I care. I'd get it if Dennis' voice was shot and/or he had nothing to contribute, but that isn't the case. The show was at a 2,800 seater on a Friday night, and it was probably 35-40 percent empty. With Dennis, they could've packed the joint, and possibly the arena next door too, fact.
How is it a downgrade? Gowan has a great voice and handles any DeYoung songs as well as DeYoung does these days (and, contrary to your statements above - DeYoung's voice IS diminished compared to 20-30 years ago). DeYoung is still a decent singer and does what he does well, but Gowan does the same thing just as well, only Gowan's a team player.

DeYoung is a shmaltzy, goofy, showtune loving kind of guy. And he's NOT a team player. He wants to be the coach and the quarterback. There's no way he comes back and doesn't try to run things again. He's like Steve Perry in that regard. They both have horrible cases of LSD.
If you can describe Dennis as a "goofy, showtune loving kind of guy" and NOT mention Gowan's cheesy and schmaltzy Vegas personality, then you clearly haven't seen Gowan live, lol...

I'm always amazed to visit forums and discover there's a percentage of fans out there who think bands should serve the same purpose as a NASCAR pit crew team. Dennis doesn't sound like his 1980 self? Well, it's time for him to go then, replace him with some fresh quarts of oil! Sheesh...
ashorama
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by ashorama »

Aside from the personality clashes with DDY, here's the other thing: Styx, with or without DDY, is only going to make so much money per gig. DDY comes back and there's no way he's going to be put on a salary while JY and TS make the big green. That's going to reduce the money that JY and TS make AND they have to deal with DDY. It's a lose-lose sitch.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:44 am

If you can describe Dennis as a "goofy, showtune loving kind of guy" and NOT mention Gowan's cheesy and schmaltzy Vegas personality, then you clearly haven't seen Gowan live, lol...

I'm always amazed to visit forums and discover there's a percentage of fans out there who think bands should serve the same purpose as a NASCAR pit crew team. Dennis doesn't sound like his 1980 self? Well, it's time for him to go then, replace him with some fresh quarts of oil! Sheesh...
It's not just that he doesn't sound like his 1980 self. It's the fact that there are a lot of negatives that he'd bring to the band, without all the positives that were there in the past.

He brings VERY FEW positives to the band as of 2021. But he brings A LOT of negatives.

Why would they do that? Why SHOULD they do that?

And I'll take Vegas glitz and schmaltz over Showtune schmaltz any day, every day. I've seen live video of Gowan. The dude is much more Rock and Roll than DeYoung is.

But don't get me wrong - I think Dennis DeYoung is one of the most fun interview subjects you can listen to or read. His goofy, smartass, class clown sense of humor is great! It's just a shame that he is a bit of a megalomaniac when he's in the band (and can't control his love of Broadway showtunes).
battra

Post by battra »

How is Gowan a downgrade?

Dennis DeYoung is one of the greatest rock vocalists in history and Gowan is not.

Dennis DeYoung writes amazing pieces of music that I want to hear and Gowan does not.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

battra wrote: ↑Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Dennis DeYoung is one of the greatest rock vocalists in history and Gowan is not.

Dennis DeYoung writes amazing pieces of music that I want to hear and Gowan does not.
You're cherry picking.

DeYoung HAS written some amazing pieces of music. He's also written just as many, if not more, sappy, saccharine sweet songs, as well as several songs that would be more appropriate as Broadway showtunes than Styx songs.

And Dennis is NO LONGER one of the great vocalists in Rock. He was, but his voice is noticeably weaker and strained, with a reduced range. Gowan is still near peak form.

I have really mixed feelings about Dennis. I like him for a lot of things, but, DAMN, the guy is sappy and has a thing for showtunes that just permeates too much of what he does.
ziggity hoo

Post by ziggity hoo »

JY and Shaw have controlled the narrative for years that DeYoung was a dictator and only wants to do wimpy tunes. Who wrote Boat On The River Tommy? Why isn't DeYoung in the band? He only wants to do 50-75 shows a year while the rest want to do double that.
ziggity hoo

Post by ziggity hoo »

ashorama wrote: ↑Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:23 am Aside from the personality clashes with DDY, here's the other thing: Styx, with or without DDY, is only going to make so much money per gig. DDY comes back and there's no way he's going to be put on a salary while JY and TS make the big green. That's going to reduce the money that JY and TS make AND they have to deal with DDY. It's a lose-lose sitch.
They are still paying DeYoung. He is a one third owner of the name
ziggity hoo

Post by ziggity hoo »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 am

Dennis shafted Dennis.

Dennis wrote Lady and got them going. I guess they could have starved to death by continuing to do shitty half assed Prog rock to be real
Vandelay Industries

B5Erik wrote: ↑Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:44 pm
battra wrote: ↑Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 pm

You're cherry picking.

DeYoung HAS written some amazing pieces of music. He's also written just as many, if not more, sappy, saccharine sweet songs, as well as several songs that would be more appropriate as Broadway showtunes than Styx songs.

And Dennis is NO LONGER one of the great vocalists in Rock. He was, but his voice is noticeably weaker and strained, with a reduced range. Gowan is still near peak form.

I have really mixed feelings about Dennis. I like him for a lot of things, but, DAMN, the guy is sappy and has a thing for showtunes that just permeates too much of what he does.
Dennis still has enough chops to get it done. He might be a diamond in the rough, but Gowan is a cubic zirconia by comparison. Gowan sings capable enough, but he's just keeping the car warm for Shaw and JY to trot this lineup around.

Again, it was an enjoyable show, but without Dennis as the ringleader, it was like watching Shaw & JY + a professional band of ringers carefully recreating an era that four of the guys onstage had nothing to do with. Hell, they could've thrown me a bone and brought out Chuck for a few tunes, but I guess our little B market wasn't enough to get him on the bus with the others to visit here, lol... The extremely short drive and cheap tickets motivated me enough to go, because there are far worse ways to spend Friday night than listening to Styx music for 2 hours... but if I had to make plans for more than that, my time and money couldn't justify plunking down money for a "Styx Revisited" performance.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:03 am

Dennis still has enough chops to get it done. He might be a diamond in the rough, but Gowan is a cubic zirconia by comparison. Gowan sings capable enough, but he's just keeping the car warm for Shaw and JY to trot this lineup around.
So, Gowan has a better voice in 2021 and shows more energy on stage. Sounds to me like DDY is the cubic zirconia , but you still want DDY just because he's DDY and not because he's better (he's not, not in 2021).
Again, it was an enjoyable show, but without Dennis as the ringleader...
And that's the problem, exactly. Dennis wants to be the ringleader. The team captain, coach, and starting quarterback. He's NOT a team player, and that's why he's not in the band and hasn't been invited back.
Vandelay Industries

Well, we'll agree to disagree. I've heard DDY's voice recently, and while he's not the guy from 40 years ago, his chops are still either on par or better than Gowan. Professionally speaking, if Tommy and JY are so emotionally traumatized by DDY that they'd rather be playing in front of 2,000 people instead of larger venues, they're either a) principled musicians with 100% integrity , or b) colossal babies. Seeing that they have no problems whatsoever playing Mr Roboto or Lady, I'm gonna lean toward "B"....
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:57 am Well, we'll agree to disagree. I've heard DDY's voice recently, and while he's not the guy from 40 years ago, his chops are still either on par or better than Gowan. Professionally speaking, if Tommy and JY are so emotionally traumatized by DDY that they'd rather be playing in front of 2,000 people instead of larger venues, they're either a) principled musicians with 100% integrity , or b) colossal babies. Seeing that they have no problems whatsoever playing Mr Roboto or Lady, I'm gonna lean toward "B"....
I can give credit to a band like Skid Row - who insist that they don't want to work with Sebastian Bach ever again, no matter how much money they are offered. I think it's kind of crazy, because their career is kind of in the toilet - but good on them for doing the music they want to do without finding a Bach wannabe.

However Styx are essentially trying to pretend like Dennis is still in the band with Gowan and playing all his songs that they used to say they hated. While Dennis has his lookalikes/soundalikes too. It is just not smart business. They should stop with the pretending on both sides, reunite and play to far bigger crowds. I do think Shaw and JY are being the babies here.
ziggity hoo

Post by ziggity hoo »

The problem is those VH1 specials were watched by lots of people and what was said on them is treated as gospel truth. people still believe Steve Perry doesn't sing anymore because of his bad hip. JY and Shaw ran Dennis down for wimpy ballads and being a meanie that made them do Kilroy. Dennis admitted he took the lead as leader because no one else wanted to most likely. But the Erik's of the world call him dictator with out knowing anything. Look up dictator. A dictator wouldn't share song writing on an album. If Dennis was so bad why did Tommy ask to put Styx back together in 1989 or else he would do Damn Yankees like that was a threat or something. Why if Dennis was so bad would Tommy go to his house to do a rerecording of a wimpy ballad like Lady? Why, after he got divorced and taken to the cleaners, would Tommy ask Dennis again to put Styx back on the road to help his broke ass out? If Dennis was Satan in human form why would Tommy ask him to show up for an in store performance when he was pushing his 7 Deadly Zens album? If Dennis was so bad why would they want to make an album and want to do another tour with him? Their lies don't add up. Dennis was getting older, almost 10 years older than Shaw, wasn't feeling well and had his nest egg and didn't want to pound the pavement on the road all year anymore. So instead of being the guys that dumped a sick OG original member of the band they had to attack his character which is pretty fucking low. But money does that to people. Styx was a band. I don't want a full Dennis album. Nor do I want a full Tommy or JY album. That's why they worked you got a mixed bag on their records
Vandelay Industries

ziggity hoo wrote: ↑Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 pm The problem is those VH1 specials were watched by lots of people and what was said on them is treated as gospel truth. people still believe Steve Perry doesn't sing anymore because of his bad hip. JY and Shaw ran Dennis down for wimpy ballads and being a meanie that made them do Kilroy. Dennis admitted he took the lead as leader because no one else wanted to most likely. But the Erik's of the world call him dictator with out knowing anything. Look up dictator. A dictator wouldn't share song writing on an album. If Dennis was so bad why did Tommy ask to put Styx back together in 1989 or else he would do Damn Yankees like that was a threat or something. Why if Dennis was so bad would Tommy go to his house to do a rerecording of a wimpy ballad like Lady? Why, after he got divorced and taken to the cleaners, would Tommy ask Dennis again to put Styx back on the road to help his broke ass out? If Dennis was Satan in human form why would Tommy ask him to show up for an in store performance when he was pushing his 7 Deadly Zens album? If Dennis was so bad why would they want to make an album and want to do another tour with him? Their lies don't add up. Dennis was getting older, almost 10 years older than Shaw, wasn't feeling well and had his nest egg and didn't want to pound the pavement on the road all year anymore. So instead of being the guys that dumped a sick OG original member of the band they had to attack his character which is pretty fucking low. But money does that to people. Styx was a band. I don't want a full Dennis album. Nor do I want a full Tommy or JY album. That's why they worked you got a mixed bag on their records
And in hindsight, a grinding tour without Dennis probably isn't making Tommy (and JY) much more money than a shorter 45-50 show tour WITH him. Pride and stubbornness seem to be clouding Tommy's head...
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:34 am And in hindsight, a grinding tour without Dennis probably isn't making Tommy (and JY) much more money than a shorter 45-50 show tour WITH him. Pride and stubbornness seem to be clouding Tommy's head...
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I do not think it is pride at all. I think it is just wanting to be happy in your work environment.
Dennis brings too much baggage with him for them to put up with.
He has not been in the band for 20 years now.
I don't think it has anything to do with his performance abilities or the songs he sings.
I think it has to do with the fact that at any given moment he would / could hold everything up with his illness.
That would bring everything to a screeching halt at a moments notice.
I think that is something that would be / could be used by Dennis as a leverage tool to regain power in the band.
I am not saying he would do that but I am saying that is probably just one of the fears that the band might have.
They just don't get along.
I don't know if you have ever worked with someone that is controlling in a way that affects everyone around them.
I have and it is no picnic. They behave badly in order to get their way.
The more they get their way the worse it gets because they are being rewarded for this behavior.
Why can't Dennis do big tours on his own and take it to the streets?
Vandelay Industries

strangeways747 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:34 am And in hindsight, a grinding tour without Dennis probably isn't making Tommy (and JY) much more money than a shorter 45-50 show tour WITH him. Pride and stubbornness seem to be clouding Tommy's head...
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I do not think it is pride at all. I think it is just wanting to be happy in your work environment.
Dennis brings too much baggage with him for them to put up with.
He has not been in the band for 20 years now.
I don't think it has anything to do with his performance abilities or the songs he sings.
I think it has to do with the fact that at any given moment he would / could hold everything up with his illness.
That would bring everything to a screeching halt at a moments notice.
I think that is something that would be / could be used by Dennis as a leverage tool to regain power in the band.
I am not saying he would do that but I am saying that is probably just one of the fears that the band might have.
They just don't get along.
I don't know if you have ever worked with someone that is controlling in a way that affects everyone around them.
I have and it is no picnic. They behave badly in order to get their way.
The more they get their way the worse it gets because they are being rewarded for this behavior.
Why can't Dennis do big tours on his own and take it to the streets?
We're nearing the end of the line, so I doubt they'd be spending much (or any) time together offstage working on other stuff. No one says they need to schmooze together when they're not performing. I've dealt with difficult co-workers too, but I sure didn't mingle with them outside of the job.

They're all up there in years, so if Tommy or JY fall ill, I hope the other guy doesn't kick him to the curb either...

Sure, maybe things are different without Dennis in the band, but I gotta wonder if Tommy & JY truly believe that touring their asses off is the ideal solution for "wanting to be happy"....
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: ↑Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:47 am Sure, maybe things are different without Dennis in the band, but I gotta wonder if Tommy & JY truly believe that touring their asses off is the ideal solution for "wanting to be happy"....
For them I guess it is.
B5Erik

Post by B5Erik »

ziggity hoo wrote: ↑Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 pm The problem is those VH1 specials were watched by lots of people and what was said on them is treated as gospel truth. people still believe Steve Perry doesn't sing anymore because of his bad hip. JY and Shaw ran Dennis down for wimpy ballads and being a meanie that made them do Kilroy. Dennis admitted he took the lead as leader because no one else wanted to most likely. But the Erik's of the world call him dictator with out knowing anything. Look up dictator. A dictator wouldn't share song writing on an album. If Dennis was so bad why did Tommy ask to put Styx back together in 1989 or else he would do Damn Yankees like that was a threat or something. Why if Dennis was so bad would Tommy go to his house to do a rerecording of a wimpy ballad like Lady? Why, after he got divorced and taken to the cleaners, would Tommy ask Dennis again to put Styx back on the road to help his broke ass out? If Dennis was Satan in human form why would Tommy ask him to show up for an in store performance when he was pushing his 7 Deadly Zens album? If Dennis was so bad why would they want to make an album and want to do another tour with him? Their lies don't add up. Dennis was getting older, almost 10 years older than Shaw, wasn't feeling well and had his nest egg and didn't want to pound the pavement on the road all year anymore. So instead of being the guys that dumped a sick OG original member of the band they had to attack his character which is pretty fucking low. But money does that to people. Styx was a band. I don't want a full Dennis album. Nor do I want a full Tommy or JY album. That's why they worked you got a mixed bag on their records
Wow. I guess it's all black and white with you. Either someone is a horrible monster or they're perfectly fine.

Dennis is pushy. He's bossy. He's demanding. He thinks he knows better than the other guys. He's even admitted that he took over the band and called the shots.

So how did that Kilroy album and tour go, anyway? What? It killed Styx's career? You don't say. That was 100% DDY. His idea, his concept, his demand.

He's NOT a team player. He's basically admitted as much.

And he's NOT the draw that some people here think he is. When he plays solo gigs how many people show up? 1/4 as many as for Styx shows? He's not going to bring enough attendance to the table to make it worth the extra money he's going to demand.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: ↑Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am
Wow. I guess it's all black and white with you. Either someone is a horrible monster or they're perfectly fine.

Dennis is pushy. He's bossy. He's demanding. He thinks he knows better than the other guys. He's even admitted that he took over the band and called the shots.

So how did that Kilroy album and tour go, anyway? What? It killed Styx's career? You don't say. That was 100% DDY. His idea, his concept, his demand.

He's NOT a team player. He's basically admitted as much.

And he's NOT the draw that some people here think he is. When he plays solo gigs how many people show up? 1/4 as many as for Styx shows? He's not going to bring enough attendance to the table to make it worth the extra money he's going to demand.
That's not fair. If Paul and Gene were to do solo shows - not many people would show up either in comparison to a KISS concert. Makeup or the unmasked years. They would be failures as solo artists.