Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

Post by Tito »

Wichita77 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:46 pm While I'm usually one for seeing the positive, the "opening for us" line was completely unnecessary. It made Paul look insecure to me, taking the wind out of what could have been a great post.

Paul, you are a rock star. You don't always have to push the point, especially at a time like this.
You'd really have to want to not see that. Paying respects and putting someone down at the same time. It seems like he can't stop himself. Wow, indeed.
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by jkiss »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm So what am I missing here?????. He’s made a tribute to a fellow musician/freind.
I do know Paul was quite friendly with both Billy & Dusty, since the 1970's. 💡

And I thought both B&D were really great guys, too. Absolutely hilarious as well. 🤣

🤠🤠👍🏻
Last edited by jkiss on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Crazy Mike

Post by Crazy Crazy Mike »

Paul has made some mistakes in recent years, but I REALLY don't think that this was one of them. I see a bunch of compliments in there. He was probably just making the observation. Or, it could actually be interpreted as gratitude, like "Thank you, ZZ Top, for giving us a chance in our early days. It was one of the steps toward us living our dreams. It was an honor to share the stage with you again more recently."
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Crazy Crazy Mike wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am Paul has made some mistakes in recent years, but I REALLY don't think that this was one of them. I see a bunch of compliments in there. He was probably just making the observation. Or, it could actually be interpreted as gratitude, like "Thank you, ZZ Top, for giving us a chance in our early days. It was one of the steps toward us living our dreams. It was an honor to share the stage with you again more recently."
Bingo, spot on Mike.
Choose_One
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Choose_One »

It's like when they used to roll out Gene Simmons to comment on singers dying, for instance Chuck Berry, and he would always throw in a KISS reference, like "if it wasn't for Chuck, KISS would never of been formed" etc etc. Always marketing Paul & Gene
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Crazy Crazy Mike wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:01 am Paul has made some mistakes in recent years, but I REALLY don't think that this was one of them. I see a bunch of compliments in there. He was probably just making the observation. Or, it could actually be interpreted as gratitude, like "Thank you, ZZ Top, for giving us a chance in our early days. It was one of the steps toward us living our dreams. It was an honor to share the stage with you again more recently."
I believe when KISS & ZZ Top first encountered each other ...it was a bit of North vs. South.

The weirdest band from the North, meets the weirdest from the South & yet still polar opposites, despite both being weird.

I'm sure in retrospect, they all had some real laughs about it. 😆
Tbond
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tbond »

Tito wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 am
Wichita77 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:46 pm While I'm usually one for seeing the positive, the "opening for us" line was completely unnecessary. It made Paul look insecure to me, taking the wind out of what could have been a great post.

Paul, you are a rock star. You don't always have to push the point, especially at a time like this.
You'd really have to want to not see that. Paying respects and putting someone down at the same time. It seems like he can't stop himself. Wow, indeed.
The tweet is classless.

Kiss is a big successful rock band, we GET it.

Funny how he didn't mention that Eliminator outsold all of Kiss' 80's albums COMBINED, and in 1983 ZZ Top buried them in airplay, public consciousness, MTV, etc.

Guess that didn't fit the narrative.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

This.

I'm no Paul basher, but that line kinda jumped out at me.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Choose_One wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 am It's like when they used to roll out Gene Simmons to comment on singers dying, for instance Chuck Berry, and he would always throw in a KISS reference, like "if it wasn't for Chuck, KISS would never of been formed" etc etc. Always marketing Paul & Gene
They both are infamous for being extremely arrogant, obnoxious or let's just say 'generally badly behaved' (same with Ace & Peter); obviously, long before any internet. And really that always has been part of KISS' schtick, they actually 'want' to rub people the wrong way. They wanted to get a rile out of everyone they could. Basically, much like trolling, it's a way to get rapid attention & keep everyone focused on them.

They are supposed to be terrible people, villains (or supervillains), not superheroes. And Gene most certainly has done well for himself & in playing the villain. Maybe at the overall expense of KISS, but it has kept him in the public eye, since hooking-up with Cher.

Whenever someone says something like, "KISS is a class act." I have to laugh & I'm sure P&G 'secretly do' as well. And because they have 'no class' & they know it. However, if they can get anyone to believe that they do (being it's such a stretch) ...that's even better, far more amusing.

🤣
Last edited by jkiss on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
KissRMe4life
Banned
Banned

Post by KissRMe4life »

Leave it to the STAR BABY to take the low road. Is Paul mentally ill????

Paul never misses an opportunity to Pat himself on the back, what a douchebag way to say what he said.

I’m forever a fan of the bands earlier output, but as far as people, I see Gene and Paul as forever bitter and arrogant souls that can’t be cured by all the money in the world. Truly sad.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

KissRMe4life wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:23 am Leave it to the STAR BABY to take the low road. Is Paul mentally ill????

Paul never misses an opportunity to Pat himself on the back, what a douchebag way to say what he said.

I’m forever a fan of the bands earlier output, but as far as people, I see Gene and Paul as forever bitter and arrogant souls that can’t be cured by all the money in the world. Truly sad.
Or +50 years of therapy (Paul)
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

At least he mentioned Dusty. He didn't post anything about Joey Jordison, despite Kiss and Slipknot having played festivals together and Slipknot owing a huge debt to Kiss in terms of visual image and influence on their members. In fact, it's quite strange Paul didn't take the opportunity to point out that 'No Kiss = no Slipknot'.

MrDomino
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by MrDomino »

I really don’t get how he can tweet about all these other passings and not even mention Bob Kulick and Gary Corbett. Both in his solo band. Wtf
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

curryleaf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:49 am At least he mentioned Dusty. He didn't post anything about Joey Jordison, despite Kiss and Slipknot having played festivals together and Slipknot owing a huge debt to Kiss in terms of visual image and influence on their members. In fact, it's quite strange Paul didn't take the opportunity to point out that 'No Kiss = no Slipknot'.

If he had said “no KISS = no Slipknot,” people on this board would be ripping him to shreds for being arrogant and inappropriately promoting his superiority complex. :wink:
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm So what am I missing here?????. He’s made a tribute to a fellow musician/freind.
He's basically saying "we used to open for you...now YOU open for US", basically putting himself above them
Tito

Post by Tito »

MrDomino wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:01 am I really don’t get how he can tweet about all these other passings and not even mention Bob Kulick and Gary Corbett. Both in his solo band. Wtf
AND both worked with KISS.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

curryleaf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:49 am At least he mentioned Dusty. He didn't post anything about Joey Jordison, despite Kiss and Slipknot having played festivals together and Slipknot owing a huge debt to Kiss in terms of visual image and influence on their members. In fact, it's quite strange Paul didn't take the opportunity to point out that 'No Kiss = no Slipknot'.

Did he talk about Gary Corbett, Jeff LaBar, or Mike Howe either?
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Everything I need to know in life I learned from Paul Stanley’s Twitter feed.

If Paul Stanley did not Tweet about someone, some place, or something, that person, place, or thing is superfluous to him.

Paul Stanley should have his kids taken away from him by the state of California. He never feeds them. I know he never feeds his kids because he never Tweets about it.

I know that Paul Stanley never has sex. After all, he never Tweets about it.

Paul Stanley does not ever change his underwear. I know this to be true because he never Tweets about it.

The only logical things that one can know about Paul Stanley other than what he Tweets is that (being human), he must eat, sleep, and shit. He must spend most of his days eating, sleeping, and shitting. If he does anything else, he would post it on Twitter.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

ZachAttack wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:04 am Did he talk about Gary Corbett, Jeff LaBar, or Mike Howe either?
I'd argue Jordison was far better known, and more widely known, than any of them - and, as I said, the influence of Kiss on Slipknot is blatant.
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Mr Slow »

Tbond wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:30 am The tweet is classless.

Funny how he didn't mention that Eliminator outsold all of Kiss' 80's albums COMBINED, and in 1983 ZZ Top buried them in airplay, public consciousness, MTV, etc.

Are you actually for real with this? I kept waiting for the punchline, but it never came. Why the hell would he need to get into album sales? And if he did you clowns would find a reason to complain about it anyway!

Paul said:
“What an icon”
“So unique”
“Always a gentleman”
“Thank you”

All that is classless? Talk about focusing on the negative. Unbelievable! This place becomes more of a cesspool every day thanks to the vermin that contaminate it. Seriously! 🙄
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

Thank you Dusty Hill.
Rest in Peace.

ZZ Top - Viva Las Vegas.

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 am

Are you actually for real with this? I kept waiting for the punchline, but it never came. Why the hell would he need to get into album sales? And if he did you clowns would find a reason to complain about it anyway!

Paul said:
“What an icon”
“So unique”
“Always a gentleman”
“Thank you”

All that is classless? Talk about focusing on the negative. Unbelievable! This place becomes more of a cesspool every day thanks to the vermin that contaminate it. Seriously! 🙄
"You clowns"
"vermin"

You're really on a roll lately. Another unwanted critique of Faq posters by you with more insults. Man, you have really become the nasty, name-calling champ here.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Paul said:
“What an icon”
“So unique”
“Always a gentleman”
“Thank you”

Normally you and I are on the same page Slow, but it looks like you are doing a little selective reading yourself, my friend.

The comment about who opened for who was absolutely unnecessary. It wasn't very classy IMO.

I am not a fan of the name-calling either.
Last edited by Wichita77 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

ZachAttack wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 am
He's basically saying "we used to open for you...now YOU open for US", basically putting himself above them
Yes, he probably is & just the same when Billy read it, he also probably had a laugh over it.

"Somethings never change, even in my (Billy's 🤠) time of loss, I can always count on Paul to be the same son-a-of-bitch, he always was."

😆
Last edited by jkiss on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

ZachAttack wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 am
While it's great Paul acknowledges the sad passing of the Dusty Hill, a true rock and roll warrior for over half a century, this is exactly what Paul is doing in the tweet. While it's not the scandal of the year or anything, there was absolutely no need for that at all.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

Tito wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 am

Yup.
drmoorejr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by drmoorejr »

Wichita77 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:56 pm I agree with the OP. It would have actually made him look a lot better (and bigger) to take the high road and say something like..."So unique. Always a gentleman. I'll always have fond memories of touring with ZZ Top in those early days."

Oh well.

RIP Dusty. Thanks for the great music and memories.
Paul always plays the "We opened for them then they opened for us" card. Its old.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

I don't see what Paul said as bad at all, I think some people are interpreting it wrong. He's just saying what a great and gracious guy Dusty was regardless of whether he was the headliner or the opener. People's careers go up and down and it sounds like Paul was complimenting Dusty's consistency as a solid dude, whatever position he was in, not bigging KISS up over ZZ.

Paul has said some cold and careless things over the years but this ain't one of them.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 am I don't see what Paul said as bad at all, I think some people are interpreting it wrong. He's just saying what a great and gracious guy Dusty was regardless of whether he was the headliner or the opener. People's careers go up and down and it sounds like Paul was complimenting Dusty's consistency as a solid dude, whatever position he was in, not bigging KISS up over ZZ.

Paul has said some cold and careless things over the years but this ain't one of them.
Yes, it was meant to be a bit humorous & it was directed at Billy (& him alone). And nothing at all for anyone to get upset over.

There's a backstory to it all, but don't have the time to click-it-up. 😉
Last edited by jkiss on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

Julien wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:09 pm Wonder if there's a ZZ Top message board where some "fans" seem to despise their band and its members...
Perhaps on Bizarro World
Tbond
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tbond »

Paul said:
“What an icon”
“So unique”
“Always a gentleman”
“Thank you”

Stop being a child.

The point that went over your head : classy would have been NOT to throw in that ZZ Top opened for them.

Paul chose to add that, instead of something thoughtful or reflective in its place.

ANY opportunity to put himself (and Gene as well) on a self inflated pedestal.

It's pathetic.
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

Choose_One wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 am It's like when they used to roll out Gene Simmons to comment on singers dying, for instance Chuck Berry, and he would always throw in a KISS reference, like "if it wasn't for Chuck, KISS would never of been formed" etc etc. Always marketing Paul & Gene
Gene throwing himself in front of every camera possible when Eddie Van Halen died was nauseating.
twigz
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by twigz »

Julien wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:09 pm Wonder if there's a ZZ Top message board where some "fans" seem to despise their band and its members...
I doubt it since they're not pricks.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

twigz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:42 am
The fans or the band members?
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

drmoorejr wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:41 am
Wichita77 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:56 pm I agree with the OP. It would have actually made him look a lot better (and bigger) to take the high road and say something like..."So unique. Always a gentleman. I'll always have fond memories of touring with ZZ Top in those early days."

Oh well.

RIP Dusty. Thanks for the great music and memories.
Paul always plays the "We opened for them then they opened for us" card. Its old.
Paul either is or pretends to be a prissy, megalomaniacal asshole.
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

There is nothing wrong at all of what he said. Some of you are just a bunch of drama queens who will try to find anything to bash.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

I'm glad I got to see ZZ Top live.
And their most commercial album, Eliminator, is actually their best.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:56 am I don't see what Paul said as bad at all, I think some people are interpreting it wrong. He's just saying what a great and gracious guy Dusty was regardless of whether he was the headliner or the opener. People's careers go up and down and it sounds like Paul was complimenting Dusty's consistency as a solid dude, whatever position he was in, not bigging KISS up over ZZ.

Agreed. At its worst, it was clumsily, not nastily worded. But as we know, some people are going to find the negative in anything posted.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Paul said:
“What an icon”
“So unique”
“Always a gentleman”
“Thank you”

WOW!!! :D
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Anomaly wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:41 am
Gene throwing himself in front of every camera possible when Eddie Van Halen died was nauseating.
Eddie thought Gene was an asshole. There’s a story in the eruption in the canyon book about it
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

twigz wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:42 am
:D
AxlisKing
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AxlisKing »

I noticed the comment right away when I read the tweet, but I'm not so sure Paul was throwing a shot or puffing up his ego this time. I can see it both ways, but his arrogant ways, negativity towards some others and constant ego grooming have caught up to him to the point that most people that follow him on social media expect it every time he tweets about something besides being out to dinner.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I reckon it's merely poorly-worded rather than an overt dig this time, but to be fair I can also see why people are choosing to believe otherwise given some of the unfortunate stuff Paul's hit out with previously.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Nice thread on sludge regarding this :D
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Paul said:
“What an icon”
“So unique”
“Always a gentleman”
“Thank you”

And this is your positive contribution? Calling people vermin. Talk about unbelievable.
Doose

Post by Doose »

It's interesting to see Paul take shots at people like Bob Ezrin ("functioning addict"), and Dusty Hill ("opening for us"), when these are supposed to be his friends. Part of Paul's narcissism may not even allow him to see he's being insulting, which goes hand-in-hand with him never being able to be critical of himself.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Doose wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm It's interesting to see Paul take shots at people like Bob Ezrin ("functioning addict"), and Dusty Hill ("opening for us"), when these are supposed to be his friends. Part of Paul's narcissism may not even allow him to see he's being insulting, which goes hand-in-hand with him never being able to be critical of himself.
Both points that you offer are indeed empirical indicators of malignant narcissism.

So unless Paul is (unendingly) merely pretending to be an asshole, you likely have him pegged.
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Marc Aze »

From what I understand, some fans want to decide what Paul says, thinks, writes, sings, walks, dresses...
anyway, everything must be exactly as they want, if not, they'll hate him forever! :roll: :roll:
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Doose wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:31 pm It's interesting to see Paul take shots at people like Bob Ezrin ("functioning addict"), and Dusty Hill ("opening for us"), when these are supposed to be his friends. Part of Paul's narcissism may not even allow him to see he's being insulting, which goes hand-in-hand with him never being able to be critical of himself.
Yeah, like I said earlier he almost certainly didn't mean it to come off the way it initially reads, but at this point it seems that even when he doesn't mean to come off as mean-spirited and self-aggrandising it just ends up slipping out, almost like a form of Twitter Tourette's...
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm
Yeah, like I said earlier he almost certainly didn't mean it to come off the way it initially reads, but at this point it seems that even when he doesn't mean to come off as mean-spirited and self-aggrandising it just ends up slipping out, almost like a form of Twitter Tourette's...
Just malignant narcissism. Or Machiavellianism.