Vinnie Vincent solo in LOVE GUN

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
TheSpoiler
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Vinnie Vincent solo in LOVE GUN

Post by TheSpoiler »

ViniPonciasTapeOp wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:42 am I think it is both melodic and has some serious fury. And, it's not sweet like a Bruce solo.
Yes. There was a venom to VV's playing that no other Kiss guitarist had.
TheWolf
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TheWolf »

Wow, that is killer!!! I never heard this before.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

John Shaft wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:24 am The Stanley/Simmons/Vincent/Carr lineup had such a dangerous & explosive chemistry. The energy the four of them gave off when onstage was simply off the charts. This lineup has always been, and always will be, my fave lineup. Period.
The more time that goes by the higher regard I have for that version of KISS. Like you said, it was explosive. The 2 albums they did together are outstanding and the live shows were some of the best of their career. I wouldn’t change Bruce coming in and slaying us all on ASYLUM, but I wish Vinnie had been there for ANIMALIZE. I think his playing and songwriting would have made that album much better than it ended up being.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

I’m not a fan of Vince, but that solo is pretty good, actually. And that “Crazy Train” reference can be found in one of songs before RR. Not a rip off at all, it’s a pretty standard lick.

The tone is more similar To RR Han anything, which was a sign of the times.
Purple70rt
Banned

Post by Purple70rt »

Noise
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Purple70rt wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:15 amNoise
I’d categorize Bruce as noise. Just generic EVH type solos with no emotion, Vinnie had tons of emotion.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:26 am
I’d categorize Bruce as noise. Just generic EVH type solos with no emotion, Vinnie had tons of emotion.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

I actually liked this one.

None of that chromatic bs he used to cram into his live solos.
Chaim Wigz
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

I like that A LOT. My second favourite Kiss lead guitarist, the others that followed don’t even come close.

I’ve said it before, I wish that line up had lasted the rest of the 80s. It was killer.
mamado

Post by mamado »

Turd. :flower:
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Excruciating.
kwf484
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kwf484 »

Kinda makes me think that he may have been a good foil for Ozzy
Metalion_SOS
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Metalion_SOS »

Outside of a few Ace classics, that is the best guitar solo ever played by a KISS guitarist. Melodic and furious, as it should be.
drmoorejr
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drmoorejr »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 am
The Man wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:27 pm Vinnie was a talented dude....
Yep. Never understood why some people claim he's a "bad guitarist". If anything, he was overloaded with technique.
exactly
drmoorejr
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drmoorejr »

Evo999 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:05 am .... it’s a pretty standard lick.

... which was a sign of the times.
yep
Chaim Wigz

Post by Chaim Wigz »

Agreed. Not so much his Invasion widdles, but on his two Kiss albums when Gene and Paul were able to keep a leash on the worst aspects of his fretboard wankery, he recorded some pretty darn tasteful stuff.

Bruce, all very forgettable to my ears, except the Tears Are Falling solo, which is ok I suppose..
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Yep. Never understood why some people claim he's a "bad guitarist". If anything, he was overloaded with technique.
Picasso apparently had incredible artistic skills but painted abstract shit. Transfer that scenario to the guitar and you have Vinnie Vincent.
steve

Post by steve »

It's an attempt to liven up a song that I've found quite boring for most of my life. VV's take on Calling Dr. Love was far more successful at this.
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

VV can shred but this for me is a example of a guitar player serving himself and not the song.
Diss

Post by Diss »

I love that solo for that time period. As said above, it's got melody AND flash, the former of which Vinnie pretty much abandoned later. It also seems borderline INSANE, which really gave this version of the band their unique energy. It sounds like it's about to totally combust.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

How can a solo be 'dangerous'?
Surely you can just turn it off? Or down? Music can't really be dangerous. :lol:
jedi_ringo
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by jedi_ringo »

I dig it , love the fight and fury
Thanks for reminding me of it again
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

That 70s Guy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 am His solos are all the same.
Many fans are incapable of understanding this.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

drmoorejr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 am
exactly
being overloaded with technique doesnt mean anything if what you play suck .
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

lespaul wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 am
exactly
That's where the old "personal preference" part comes into play. For me, it doesn't suck. FAR from it.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Mackemkiss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 am How can a solo be 'dangerous'?
Surely you can just turn it off? Or down? Music can't really be dangerous. :lol:
You can absolutely emote through an instrument. Whether you want to emote something angry or soft or pretty - it’s all in the player. VV definitely has some fire in his playing back in the day. Obviously the person’s post u were referring to is referencing the reckless abandon in much of Vinnies playing.

You appear to be playing dumb here or just embarrassed that the guy in your avatar’s playing is as fiery & dangerous as a a glass of milk :D
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:08 am
Where does he repeat the solo in NFTI?
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Does anyone know what equipment VV used in those days? Ths solo on this thread is a really good example of that really "hot" sound he had for soloing - much moreso than Frehley or Kulick ever had.

Anyone know what gear gets that sound? It surely can't just be a cranked Jackson?
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:08 am
Nonsense. If there was any Kiss guitarist who can be accused of shuffling and reshuffling the same solos over the decades, it's a certain Mr Frehley.

Examples: Saint & Sinner, War Machine, Fits Like a Glove, Not For The innocent, Animal (from VVI) - the only thing that is common to those solos is that they're played on a guitar.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Vinnie in 83/84 (from what I recall) used Mesa Boogie heads with Marshall cabinets.

For effects, I think he used a rackmounted equalizer system and a Eventide Harmonizer.
His pickups were EMGs and Seymour Duncans.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 am Vinnie in 83/84 (from what I recall) used Mesa Boogie heads with Marshall cabinets.

For effects, I think he used a rackmounted equalizer system and a Eventide Harmonizer.
Cool, thank you!
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:55 am Does anyone know what equipment VV used in those days? Ths solo on this thread is a really good example of that really "hot" sound he had for soloing - much moreso than Frehley or Kulick ever had.

Anyone know what gear gets that sound? It surely can't just be a cranked Jackson?
Not sure what VV rig was but for that time period a Marshall 100 watt Super lead with a mxr distribution or a Ibanez Tube Screamer and maybe a 10 band EQ in front of the rig with a Jackson guitar could get ya close.
drmoorejr
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drmoorejr »

pepperkitty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:55 am Does anyone know what equipment VV used in those days? Ths solo on this thread is a really good example of that really "hot" sound he had for soloing - much moreso than Frehley or Kulick ever had.

Not sure what VV rig was but for that time period a Marshall 100 watt Super lead with a mxr distribution or a Ibanez Tube Screamer and maybe a 10 band EQ in front of the rig with a Jackson guitar could get ya close.
Doubtful that Tube Screamer would have been used for that kind of music. Maybe the DS-1? Or any of the Boss Metal pedals (like the Metal Zone). Maybe if the Tube Screamer was placed before a distortion pedal..
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

drmoorejr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:18 am

Doubtful that Tube Screamer would have been used for that kind of music. Maybe the DS-1? Or any of the Boss Metal pedals (like the Metal Zone). Maybe if the Tube Screamer was placed before a distortion pedal..
I knew a lot of players running Tube screamer in front of the Marshalls back then , 800 series especially. I LOVE the DS-1 for punk rock, still the best simple distortion pedal IMO. I think the boss Metal zone came out in 91.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

TwistedTaste wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:51 am
Mackemkiss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 am How can a solo be 'dangerous'?
You can absolutely emote through an instrument. Whether you want to emote something angry or soft or pretty - it’s all in the player. VV definitely has some fire in his playing back in the day. Obviously the person’s post u were referring to is referencing the reckless abandon in much of Vinnies playing.

You appear to be playing dumb here or just embarrassed that the guy in your avatar’s playing is as fiery & dangerous as a a glass of milk :D
What nonsense. You might as well argue in that case that my avatar's stage outfit is "dangerous" because it 'emotes' radiation! :lol:
Vinnie Saves Coupons
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Vinnie Saves Coupons »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 am Vinnie in 83/84 (from what I recall) used Mesa Boogie heads with Marshall cabinets.

That was my recollection as well: Boogie heads / Marshall cabs / EMG pickups

Vinnie gave an interview in late '83 or early '84 in which he credited Brad Gillis with turning him on to the Boogie head (Mark II B) and Marshall cab combination. And Vinnie definitely had an EMG 81 in his bridge position at that time. I think he, Paul and Gene were among the first big-name rock / metal guys to use EMG pickups.

(Also, plenty of tube preamp distortion with that Boogie — no need for external distortion boxes.)
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

I'd rather get awaken by an air raid siren.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

pepperkitty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:48 pm
drmoorejr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:18 am

I knew a lot of players running Tube screamer in front of the Marshalls back then , 800 series especially. I LOVE the DS-1 for punk rock, still the best simple distortion pedal IMO. I think the boss Metal zone came out in 91.
A hot plexi super lead or early JMP (vs JCM) era 2203 (later known as an 800) pushed further by a Tube Screamer / SD-1, Rat, DOD 250/MXR D+/MXR Micro Amp would get you some pretty gnarly tones. Especially true if using a high output humbucker, though I prefer medium output pickups.

A Mark series amp is pretty close to a mid heavy guitar sound that Marshall is known for, particularly if you don't scoop the shit out of it on the back end with the five band EQ the Amp has. However, the low end is more broad like a Fender, and the high end can tend to be a different shape as well.

John Sykes, Rocky George, Metallica, Anthrax, and someone else who is escaping me at the moment used Mark II or III amps for their tones.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

I doubt the Duncan's (passive) matter. He is not using the neck, and using actives and passives in the same guitar is a bit of a pain in the ass. They are likely just there to take up space, and unwired like Ace's middle and neck pickups / images thereof.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

lespaul wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 am
exactly
His picking would be better served if he slowed down, as it isn't exactly clean.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

kwf484 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:32 pm Kinda makes me think that he may have been a good foil for Ozzy
OZZY had much better options to choose from.
score2112
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by score2112 »

Very enjoyable… spiced up a plodding bore of tune for once.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

LordThurisaz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:45 pm I'd rather get awaken by an air raid siren.
Bruce Dickinson ?
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

lespaul wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:46 am
LordThurisaz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:45 pm I'd rather get awaken by an air raid siren.
Bruce Dickinson ?
I meant the ones the test on Saturdays in Oklahoma.
drmoorejr
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drmoorejr »

EVH was an awesome rhythm guitarist. People always point out his solos, but listen to his awesome rhythm. Same for Vinnie, great rhythm and really cool chord progressions. His (Vinnie) 90's stuff had some really cool modal changes (check out 'Over You').

David
drmoorejr
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drmoorejr »

LordThurisaz wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:58 pm

I doubt the Duncan's (passive) matter. He is not using the neck, and using actives and passives in the same guitar is a bit of a pain in the ass. They are likely just there to take up space, and unwired like Ace's middle and neck pickups / images thereof.
Vinnie has said in the past that after he left KISS he changed from EMG's to passive PAF style humbuckers.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

drmoorejr wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:34 am
EVH was an awesome rhythm guitarist. People always point out his solos, but listen to his awesome rhythm. Same for Vinnie, great rhythm and really cool chord progressions. His (Vinnie) 90's stuff had some really cool modal changes (check out 'Over You').

David
I love Eddie. And yes - his rhythm playing is incredible over rated - he had a great right hand. I’m just referring to the entire generation of soulless “typewriter” type players he inspired. I think the majority of these hair band guitarists ignored EVH’s blues based influences & just dabbled in the ”play as fast as you can” garbage. I include Bruce in this generation (& Mark as well). Vinnie was a little different imo, although I wasn’t a fan of his solo band and the direction he went in either.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:52 am

David
I love Eddie. And yes - his rhythm playing is incredible over rated - he had a great right hand. I’m just referring to the entire generation of soulless “typewriter” type players he inspired. I think the majority of these hair band guitarists ignored EVH’s blues based influences & just dabbled in the ”play as fast as you can” garbage. I include Bruce in this generation (& Mark as well). Vinnie was a little different imo, although I wasn’t a fan of his solo band and the direction he went in either.
Agreed about EVH. His rhythm playing had a Hendrix-like quality to it, in as much as everybody remembers the amazing solos, but there's joy to be found in the little phrases and licks that he'd throw into his rhythm stuff. Songs like Summer Nights, and Secrets from Diver Down. Amazing rhythm playing.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:06 am
TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:52 am

David
Agreed about EVH. His rhythm playing had a Hendrix-like quality to it, in as much as everybody remembers the amazing solos, but there's joy to be found in the little phrases and licks that he'd throw into his rhythm stuff. Songs like Summer Nights, and Secrets from Diver Down. Amazing rhythm playing.
5150 baby.
Just a monster of rhythmic guitar playing
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Vinnie is no different; he was the worst of the bunch and lost the plot. Even as far back as 1982.

Anyways, Eddie inspired a lot of guys, but I think quite a few of them also had a great sense of rhythm and melody as well.