"Staying Too Long At The Party"

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: "Staying Too Long At The Party"

Post by TheSpoiler »

Soylent Gene wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 am
necronomicon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 am I've heard the "tarnishing their legacy" line since the Asylum days.

Arguably anything they did after the original band wasn't together is "tarnishing their legacy".

I certainly don't think of Willie Mays circling the wagons late in his career when I think of that player.
"Tarnishing the legacy" is bullshit anyway. Is there anything that Kiss could do today that would make Alive! a shitty album? Or Creatures? Or any album any of us prefer? Nope. That's why having people like Adam Lambert onstage with Queen doesn't touch their legacy in anyway. If anything, Queen fans tend to argue that Lamberts presence underlines the untouchability of the original Queen lineup, and therefore also underlines the legacy.

The difference here is that Queen fans, largely, are happy to see Brian and Roger doing what they do, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with some people here, regarding Simmons and Stanley.
You’re missing the point. Brian and Roger still look and sound great. G&P do not.
Brian looks and sounds OK, while Roger has his son support him on drums, and quite honestly looked on the most recent tour like he was going to drop of a cardiac arrest at many points. And I LOVE these guys, for the record.

Besides - sticking to the legacy point, do you think that anything Kiss does now makes Alive a shitty record, or anything that Queen does now makes A Night At The Opera a shitty record? Because it really doesn't. "The Legacies" are untouchable and intact.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:42 pm
necronomicon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 am I've heard the "tarnishing their legacy" line since the Asylum days.

Arguably anything they did after the original band wasn't together is "tarnishing their legacy".

I certainly don't think of Willie Mays circling the wagons late in his career when I think of that player.
"Tarnishing the legacy" is bullshit anyway. Is there anything that Kiss could do today that would make Alive! a shitty album? Or Creatures? Or any album any of us prefer? Nope. That's why having people like Adam Lambert onstage with Queen doesn't touch their legacy in anyway. If anything, Queen fans tend to argue that Lamberts presence underlines the untouchability of the original Queen lineup, and therefore also underlines the legacy.

The difference here is that Queen fans, largely, are happy to see Brian and Roger doing what they do, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with some people here, regarding Simmons and Stanley.
You’re missing the point. Brian and Roger still look and sound great. G&P do not.
Brian looks and sounds OK, while Roger has his son support him on drums, and quite honestly looked on the most recent tour like he was going to drop of a cardiac arrest at many points. And I LOVE these guys, for the record.

Besides - sticking to the legacy point, do you think that anything Kiss does now makes Alive a shitty record, or anything that Queen does now makes A Night At The Opera a shitty record? Because it really doesn't. "The Legacies" are untouchable and intact.
No one is expecting that KISS is going to release something comparable to whatever people deem to be their best albums, but it REALLY wasn't too much to ask that KISS be able to release better albums than the dogshit of Psycho Circus, Sonic Boom and Monster - not to mention other albums in the 80's.

Their musical legacy would have been better with FAR less albums in their discography.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Tito wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:26 am KISS will be remembered for these things: makeup and bombs, making a big deal about money, hating each other, staying too long at the party, and nothing besides.
The saddest thing is the original members couldn't get along even after growing older and (supposedly) wiser.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:53 pm

No one is expecting that KISS is going to release something comparable to whatever people deem to be their best albums, but it REALLY wasn't too much to ask that KISS be able to release better albums than the dogshit of Psycho Circus, Sonic Boom and Monster - not to mention other albums in the 80's.

Their musical legacy would have been better with FAR less albums in their discography.
Let’s be honest - Kiss was never Les Zeppelin.
All they need to do is be themselves and record bluesy rock songs like the first three albums or even Love Gun/Dynasty. It would have been so cool for them to just be themselves on PC instead of putting that pressure on themselves to re-record Destroyer. (Which their core fan base shunned anyway!)

All I ever wanted was them recording those basic I, IV, V chords anyway. Now it’s unfortunately too late.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:23 pm

All they need to do is be themselves and record bluesy rock songs like the first three albums or even Love Gun/Dynasty. It would have been so cool for them to just be themselves on PC instead of putting that pressure on themselves to re-record Destroyer. (Which their core fan base shunned anyway!)

All I ever wanted was them recording those basic I, IV, V chords anyway. Now it’s unfortunately too late.
Of course KISS were never Zeppelin or a slew of other better bands, but KISS never really took album making as seriously as other bands and always did everything half-assed or on the cheap.

I do understand aiming for Destroyer with PC since that is the only KISS studio album that is remotely given any kind of praise outside of the KISS Army and is considered their best album, but they shouldn't have tried to make that album without Ezrin - who was too busy at the time. So they should have just made a standard rock album - perhaps Rock and Roll Over meets Creatures.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Go away. Again.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

They HAVE stayed far too long at the party.

In reality, they should have let the Sonic Boom tour be the last. Paul's voice was clearly shot, and it was only going to get worse. They should have just used that as a final album/tour cycle and gone out while they were still somewhat close to what they had been in their prime. After 2014 Paul's voice got so much worse that he's resorted to using pre-recorded tracks.

Yeah, do as I say, not as I do. They just couldn't let go.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Of course KISS were never Zeppelin or a slew of other better bands, but KISS never really took album making as seriously as other bands and always did everything half-assed or on the cheap.

I do understand aiming for Destroyer with PC since that is the only KISS studio album that is remotely given any kind of praise outside of the KISS Army and is considered their best album, but they shouldn't have tried to make that album without Ezrin - who was too busy at the time. So they should have just made a standard rock album - perhaps Rock and Roll Over meets Creatures.
They didn’t need Ezrin for PC. Journey was epic. We Are One was fantastic. Raise Your Glasses was awesome. They just needed to work together more and actually spend time together as a band on that album. They needed to re-remember that they didn’t need to make an album for the critics but make an album for themselves. I hate to always harp on Gene & Paul - but they ruined that album with their egos.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 pm

They didn’t need Ezrin for PC. Journey was epic. We Are One was fantastic. Raise Your Glasses was awesome. They just needed to work together more and actually spend time together as a band on that album. They needed to re-remember that they didn’t need to make an album for the critics but make an album for themselves. I hate to always harp on Gene & Paul - but they ruined that album with their egos.
Journey was very good. The rest are shit along with You Wanted The Best among others, so I can't agree there - but yes, it should have been a true reunion album.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Ezrin would have knocked Paul out of Bon Jovi mode and Gene out of 1965 Beatles ballad mode.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

"I don't care if the party is over; will you stop this stupid charade and just let the boy move in with you?. He just wants to play you some songs and entertain you? What's wrong with that? Can we stop this cruel game you vicious bastards? Just let the boy move in with you?! Okay, yeah!?"
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

^^^^^^ The Hirlihy Boys would be a good name for a band. :lol:
andykiss4ever
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by andykiss4ever »

StraightThruTheHeart wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am It's funny how this was Paul's slogan of choice for the 2000 Farewell Tour, always saying how they didn't want people to say they "stayed too long at the party" and yet they're now the poster child for a band that's "stayed too long at the party".
Its KISS' own mega party and not some traditional band's damp squib. KISS makes the rules and break them if it wants to, KISS is exceptional...forever and always!
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

andykiss4ever wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 am
StraightThruTheHeart wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am It's funny how this was Paul's slogan of choice for the 2000 Farewell Tour, always saying how they didn't want people to say they "stayed too long at the party" and yet they're now the poster child for a band that's "stayed too long at the party".
Its KISS' own mega party and not some traditional band's damp squib. KISS makes the rules and break them if it wants to, KISS is exceptional...forever and always!
Don’t forget the pack of wild dogs
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Paul got it right with Soul Station - dropped the album....pretended he was really into it and bored of KISS....then changed his mind, restarted KISS and pretended Soul Station never happened!
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

They still party like it's 19999.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Like none of us have ever changed our minds about something we once felt strongly about. How many of us have said, "til death do us part" and then changed our minds? Does that mean we should never get married again?

All you have to do is add up the attendance numbers of all the shows since the Farewell Tour ended to get the number of votes for people who were happy to have KISS coming back. There's nothing "sad" or "pathetic" about millions of people having a good time in my opinion. I never have understood why anyone would wish KISS had ended then and denied all of those people the chance to make those memories.

On behalf of myself and my kids, and the arenas full of people who have enjoyed going to a KISS show and hearing that music at concert levels since, I say "thank you" Paul for changing your mind and forging ahead.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Brian May and Roger Taylor may have lost a step too, but from what they've said in interviews, all the way to the name of the band itself, they're not attempting to pass themselves off as something they aren't, unlike Kiss. Carry on...
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

KISS stayed at the party so long, they’re holding the occupants hostage and a SWAT team is out in the driveway.
Tito

Post by Tito »

sneed78 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:51 am KISS stayed at the party so long, they’re holding the occupants hostage and a SWAT team is out in the driveway.
The negotiator is bringing in Car Wash Guy on the megaphone. "Go on, tell 'em this is not what you meant."
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:55 am Brian May and Roger Taylor may have lost a step too, but from what they've said in interviews, all the way to the name of the band itself, they're not attempting to pass themselves off as something they aren't, unlike Kiss. Carry on...
Yet there's enough Queen fans out there who are enraged that Brian and Roger think of themselves still as Queen and brand themselves as such, without Freddie and John there.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Tito wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:55 am
sneed78 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:51 am KISS stayed at the party so long, they’re holding the occupants hostage and a SWAT team is out in the driveway.
The negotiator is bringing in Car Wash Guy on the megaphone. "Go on, tell 'em this is not what you meant."
:bom: :P
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Car Wash Guy is just a schism of Paul’s brain anyway.

Or his wallet.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Mackemkiss wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:41 am Paul got it right with Soul Station - dropped the album....pretended he was really into it and bored of KISS....then changed his mind, restarted KISS and pretended Soul Station never happened!
He did the same with his musical theater career remember.