"Staying Too Long At The Party"

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StraightThruTheHeart
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

"Staying Too Long At The Party"

Post by StraightThruTheHeart »

It's funny how this was Paul's slogan of choice for the 2000 Farewell Tour, always saying how they didn't want people to say they "stayed too long at the party" and yet they're now the poster child for a band that's "stayed too long at the party".
rimo335
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: "Staying Too Long At The Party"

Post by rimo335 »

StraightThruTheHeart wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am It's funny how this was Paul's slogan of choice for the 2000 Farewell Tour, always saying how they didn't want people to say they "stayed too long at the party" and yet they're now the poster child for a band that's "stayed too long at the party".
Do as I say ...........
richardsimmons
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

True.

💵💵💵
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

They slept over and they're still there even after the party cleanup........ just can't get rid of them :lol:
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Legsofsteel »

Agreed. For selfish reasons, I'm glad they did because I got to see them live 4 times. If they had called it quits in 2000, I would never have got to see them live.

It's tarnishing their legacy, but the money keeps rolling in.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

StraightThruTheHeart wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:57 am It's funny how this was Paul's slogan of choice for the 2000 Farewell Tour, always saying how they didn't want people to say they "stayed too long at the party" and yet they're now the poster child for a band that's "stayed too long at the party".
KISS have done/become a lot of things Paul and Gene swore would never happen. Some KISS fans also folded and accepted what they swore they never would. It is sad across the board.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Coventry1973 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am They slept over and they're still there even after the party cleanup........ just can't get rid of them :lol:
:lol: This reminds me of how much fun it was to sleep over at a friend’s house as a kid,but then also how I couldn’t wait to get the hell out of there and back to my own house the next day.
I wonder if , during a performance, Paul and Gene ever secretly wish everyone would just shut up and go home already.
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

You know what they say about fish and house guests.
His Majesty
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by His Majesty »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:50 am
:lol: This reminds me of how much fun it was to sleep over at a friend’s house as a kid,but then also how I couldn’t wait to get the hell out of there and back to my own house the next day.
For me it all depended on how many snacks were in said friend's kitchen.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

Legsofsteel wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:37 am Agreed. For selfish reasons, I'm glad they did because I got to see them live 4 times. If they had called it quits in 2000, I would never have got to see them live.

It's tarnishing their legacy, but the money keeps rolling in.
and money means more to gene and paul than anything else---- 💰
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

There's staying too long at the party, and there's the next level - still being there the next morning when the cleaners are trying to vacuum around you.
Tito

Post by Tito »

KISS will be remembered for these things: makeup and bombs, making a big deal about money, hating each other, staying too long at the party, and nothing besides.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Tito wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:26 am KISS will be remembered for these things: makeup and bombs, making a big deal about money, hating each other, staying too long at the party, and nothing besides.
:(
Sadly, I think you’re right— The other thing they might be remembered for is merch. Lots and lots-a Kiss Krap.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

Not only have they stayed too long at the party, they're crashing on the couch.
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

Paul’s voice is the equivalent of a bad hangover and dry heaves from staying to long at the party.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

Sssnakester wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 pm Not only have they stayed too long at the party, they're crashing on the couch.
And forwarded all their mail to said party house…
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

A lot of what KISS says bites them on the arse, and a lot of what KISS says does come out of their arse. I'd rather just listen to the music then read about their latest slogan/cliche.
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

While I agree they should have hung it up a decade or so ago, hard to argue with all the money they’ve made.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

This here is the after-party
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

It's like the person who came to your party, you hooked up and the person never left.
Spaceace2000ric
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Spaceace2000ric »

Its now a couple of months after the party, Paul's wigs are taking over the house, his shitty paintings are everywhere, everyone's tripping up over his puma shoes and girls blouses.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

Look, they just wanna party every day.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

Well ,we know albums don't sell. They don't own their own catalogue. The merch has probably dwindled in returns.

So all that's left is touring. Paul has a lot of children now. His ex took away millions. He pays huge amounts of taxes. He has a high rolling lifestyle. Paul could very well live another 30 plus years just like his father has. You need a lot of money for that period of time. He wants to give his kids some of that too. His wife might just outlive him. They need the money, so they do what they can to make it. IT doesn't seem to matter to them what we think of it, as long as the cash flows in.

We can choose to ignore it if we want to.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Tito wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:26 am KISS will be remembered for these things: makeup and bombs, making a big deal about money, hating each other, staying too long at the party, and nothing besides.
You may be right.

Not that it really matters to me. They'll be remembered by me for much more.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

firekiss wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:16 pm
You may be right.

Shabs, lip synch, firing their terminally ill drummer and lying about it, fake reunion albums with ring-ins, mother of all box sets that was hyped for 15 years and then was a glorified greatest hits, $7000 smashed guitars, $21,000 non smashed guitars, two shitty movies and a travelling amusement park that never happened.

OOOOOOOH YEAH!
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

sad really. around the time of the reunion up to the farewell, i felt they have vindicated themselves. where critics mocked them before, we were reading praises for the band all across the board. they proved the naysayers wrong. rock statesmen riding into the sunset. with their overstaying the party, they've become jesters again.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Forevertj wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:56 pm Well ,we know albums don't sell. They don't own their own catalogue. The merch has probably dwindled in returns.

So all that's left is touring. Paul has a lot of children now. His ex took away millions. He pays huge amounts of taxes. He has a high rolling lifestyle. Paul could very well live another 30 plus years just like his father has. You need a lot of money for that period of time. He wants to give his kids some of that too. His wife might just outlive him. They need the money, so they do what they can to make it. IT doesn't seem to matter to them what we think of it, as long as the cash flows in.

We can choose to ignore it if we want to.
If we are to believe this - $200 million isn't enough to cover all that?

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... net-worth/
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:08 pm
:(
Sadly, I think you’re right— The other thing they might be remembered for is merch. Lots and lots-a Kiss Krap.
Psst, Psst
According to Gene Kiss is not a band:
"Kiss is a braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand!!!
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

alanrosembung wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 pm
You may be right.

Shabs, lip synch, firing their terminally ill drummer and lying about it, fake reunion albums with ring-ins, mother of all box sets that was hyped for 15 years and then was a glorified greatest hits, $7000 smashed guitars, $21,000 non smashed guitars, two shitty movies and a travelling amusement park that never happened.

OOOOOOOH YEAH!
If that's all you remember may be you've stayed too long at the party.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:45 am
KISS have done/become a lot of things Paul and Gene swore would never happen. Some KISS fans also folded and accepted what they swore they never would. It is sad across the board.
Wow, totally off topic, but that smiling Ace Frehely as your avatar is really freaking me out for some reason.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

firekiss wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:21 pm
alanrosembung wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 pm
You may be right.

OOOOOOOH YEAH!
If that's all you remember may be you've stayed too long at the party.
That's right and they have stayed at the FAQ too long
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Going Blind wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:24 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:45 am
Wow, totally off topic, but that smiling Ace Frehely as your avatar is really freaking me out for some reason.
Ack!
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

Making money is an addiction, a serious hobby and it's what makes their dyks hard for Gene and Paul. It's like a gambling addiction only they mostly operate on a zero-risk, most of the time anyway. It's their high. Even if they were worth 5 billion apiece they wouldn't quit what they are doing right now. They would eventually retire like they will anyway at some point.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

ACESTATION wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm Making money is an addiction, a serious hobby and it's what makes their dyks hard for Gene and Paul. It's like a gambling addiction only they mostly operate on a zero-risk, most of the time anyway. It's their high. Even if they were worth 5 billion apiece they wouldn't quit what they are doing right now. They would eventually retire like they will anyway at some point.
* PENUSUS
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

You may be right.

This nails it for me too. I DGAF how they are "remembered" by the critics. They've been my favourite band since 1977, and these guys, for all their failings which some choose now to dwell on, have given me a lot of happiness over decades of my life. They've always been laughed at by someone, somewhere - so what. I love 'em.
Tito

Post by Tito »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:13 am
You may be right.

This nails it for me too. I DGAF how they are "remembered" by the critics. They've been my favourite band since 1977, and these guys, for all their failings which some choose now to dwell on, have given me a lot of happiness over decades of my life. They've always been laughed at by someone, somewhere - so what. I love 'em.
I'm sincerely happy for you that you can still feel that way. It always used to be like that, I was always behind them 100%, fuck the detractors. But they have tested the faith of many over the last x amount of years. Maybe you could try to understand that a little too.
Kisscomplicated
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Kisscomplicated »

At a 109 million for EOTR , yes indeed. The attendance proves otherwise.
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Same for some ex fans who still insist at being at the party bending everyone’s ear on why they hate today’s KISS?
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Tito wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:31 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:13 am
You may be right.

I'm sincerely happy for you that you can still feel that way. It always used to be like that, I was always behind them 100%, fuck the detractors. But they have tested the faith of many over the last x amount of years. Maybe you could try to understand that a little too.
I get that, I really do. But when the negative becomes almost everything that people discuss - specifically not referring to you, BTW - it becomes tiresome. It would be cool if these people discussed what they DO like, and I'm not just referring to "I said something nice about Gene in 2014" :lol: All the supercilious noise about "lowering standards" etc is just that. People can like what they want.

If people love the originals only, fantastic - let's hear all about it, in detail. Because the whining is EXACTLY what drgbootz said above - the very definition of staying too long at the party itself.
totiefields

Post by totiefields »

Forevertj wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:56 pm We can choose to ignore it if we want to.
But then they wouldn't get the temporary satisfaction of feeling slightly better by criticizing someone they are secretly envious of, or for the rush of posting something strictly for the negative responses that are sure to follow, or because they are lonely and have chosen this is their only outlet, and since they have no social skills the only plan is to agitate. If I were G&P I'd steer clear of the psycho fans too, because they are unglued.

Normal, grounded people don't care what KISS does.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:50 am I wonder if , during a performance, Paul and Gene ever secretly wish everyone would just shut up and go home already.
I don't doubt it for a moment. When was the last time Gene or Paul mentioned doing what they do because they enjoy it?

They enjoy the money, the fame and the platform that gives them to spout off inane cliches, but I don't think they enjoy playing shows. I don't think they like writing music (otherwise they would do) and I bet they detest having to put on the make-up, costumes and wigs.

But they will endure all of it so that they can keep the money machine humming along for as long as they are physically capable.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

His Majesty wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Sssnakester wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 pm Not only have they stayed too long at the party, they're crashing on the couch.
And forwarded all their mail to said party house…
Word.
Choose_One
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Choose_One »

curryleaf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:13 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:50 am I wonder if , during a performance, Paul and Gene ever secretly wish everyone would just shut up and go home already.
I don't doubt it for a moment. When was the last time Gene or Paul mentioned doing what they do because they enjoy it?

They enjoy the money, the fame and the platform that gives them to spout off inane cliches, but I don't think they enjoy playing shows. I don't think they like writing music (otherwise they would do) and I bet they detest having to put on the make-up, costumes and wigs.

But they will endure all of it so that they can keep the money machine humming along for as long as they are physically capable.
It's funny because musicians normally keep going because they just love writing, performing etc. Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon etc. They don't need the money, but love creating... KISS used to enjoy that, witness Gene's vault for example, he was always writing.
Therefore to keep doing this, but not having any passion for it anymore at their age, must be soul destroying in a way (despite the money)
OHKISSFAN

Post by OHKISSFAN »

Same for some ex fans who still insist at being at the party bending everyone’s ear on why they hate today’s KISS?
^^^^
:idea:

Boom. Roasted.
:thumright:
70skid

Post by 70skid »

The original KISS of 1973-1980 and 1995-2000 will be remembered by music and pop culture historians. That is the band in the RARHOF and the band the average person thinks of when somebody says KISS

The rest will fade into oblivion over time.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

totiefields wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 am
Forevertj wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:56 pm We can choose to ignore it if we want to.
But then they wouldn't get the temporary satisfaction of feeling slightly better by criticizing someone they are secretly envious of, or for the rush of posting something strictly for the negative responses that are sure to follow, or because they are lonely and have chosen this is their only outlet, and since they have no social skills the only plan is to agitate. If I were G&P I'd steer clear of the psycho fans too, because they are unglued.

Normal, grounded people don't care what KISS does.
^^ Bravo :salut:
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

I've heard the "tarnishing their legacy" line since the Asylum days.

Arguably anything they did after the original band wasn't together is "tarnishing their legacy".

I certainly don't think of Willie Mays circling the wagons late in his career when I think of that player.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

necronomicon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 am I've heard the "tarnishing their legacy" line since the Asylum days.

Arguably anything they did after the original band wasn't together is "tarnishing their legacy".

I certainly don't think of Willie Mays circling the wagons late in his career when I think of that player.
"Tarnishing the legacy" is bullshit anyway. Is there anything that Kiss could do today that would make Alive! a shitty album? Or Creatures? Or any album any of us prefer? Nope. That's why having people like Adam Lambert onstage with Queen doesn't touch their legacy in anyway. If anything, Queen fans tend to argue that Lamberts presence underlines the untouchability of the original Queen lineup, and therefore also underlines the legacy.

The difference here is that Queen fans, largely, are happy to see Brian and Roger doing what they do, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with some people here, regarding Simmons and Stanley.
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:54 am
necronomicon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 am I've heard the "tarnishing their legacy" line since the Asylum days.

"Tarnishing the legacy" is bullshit anyway. Is there anything that Kiss could do today that would make Alive! a shitty album? Or Creatures? Or any album any of us prefer? Nope. That's why having people like Adam Lambert onstage with Queen doesn't touch their legacy in anyway. If anything, Queen fans tend to argue that Lamberts presence underlines the untouchability of the original Queen lineup, and therefore also underlines the legacy.

The difference here is that Queen fans, largely, are happy to see Brian and Roger doing what they do, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with some people here, regarding Simmons and Stanley.
You’re missing the point. Brian and Roger still look and sound great. G&P do not.
The Iceman Kiss
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by The Iceman Kiss »

First saw the band in '83 Queens hall Leeds UK and was frankly disappointed, saw them at every opportunity since except Animalize tour and donnington 2017 and for me they've stayed exactly the right amount of time at the party because EOTR at Manchester UK 2019 was the best show I've ever seen and a perfect way to finish.

Everyone I went with thought so too!