Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Liveshowz
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

Post by Liveshowz »

To me the mix sounds exactly like the 20 year old webcast.. Even during solo's Ace is so low in the mix.

This makes me belief they had nothing more than a mixed 2 track version.
(or the budget was that low they could not create a new mix from the multitrack)

so, basically you get an A+ edition of the bootleg edition, without compression artifacts.

Deadpool wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 am I'm interested in this.

In listening to it on Spotify I like the overall sound, the drum mix sounds way better than on any other recordings from that period, certainly. Very good actually.

However It's sounding to me like the guitars just aren't quite hot enough in the mix to really punch out. Kind of like they're blended at the same level as the bass track.

In fact, there are certain spots where I'm really used to hearing little licks from Ace (Firehouse for example) that are just inaudible in what I listened to. Now whether that's due to the mixing or just that he didn't hit them I can't really tell.

However, Ace's leads themselves seem almost subdued where they should come screaming out of the mix. It gets better / louder (obviously) when he does a dual melody lead with Paul (DRC / Psycho Circus), but on his own it just doesn't pop the way it should to my ears.

Though I do believe that this recording is truly from the soundboard of that evening, surely they (whoever "they" is) had access to the individual stems and flew them into Protools to re-mix it for this release. I seriously doubt that this is the original board mix feeding the mains from that night. Then again, due to that fact that the guitars seem light, maybe.

But it just seems to me that it would be prudent to take a couple of days at the "console" to get everything sounding perfect. It wouldn't require any overdubs or anything, just a good set of ears and a computer. I mean it's really, really close on this.

The rest of the mix sounds great however so I think that I'm gonna pop for the CD version. It's still the best audio that I've heard from the reunion/PC/Farewell period so far. Millennium is mixed well musically, but it's just cluttered with way too much fake crowd noise, and the tempos are a bit sludgy. I still like that one too though.
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Liveshowz wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:19 am To me the mix sounds exactly like the 20 year old webcast.. Even during solo's Ace is so low in the mix.

This makes me belief they had nothing more than a mixed 2 track version.
(or the budget was that low they could not create a new mix from the multitrack)

so, basically you get an A+ edition of the bootleg edition, without compression artifacts.

Deadpool wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 am I'm interested in this.

In listening to it on Spotify I like the overall sound, the drum mix sounds way better than on any other recordings from that period, certainly. Very good actually.

However It's sounding to me like the guitars just aren't quite hot enough in the mix to really punch out. Kind of like they're blended at the same level as the bass track.

In fact, there are certain spots where I'm really used to hearing little licks from Ace (Firehouse for example) that are just inaudible in what I listened to. Now whether that's due to the mixing or just that he didn't hit them I can't really tell.

However, Ace's leads themselves seem almost subdued where they should come screaming out of the mix. It gets better / louder (obviously) when he does a dual melody lead with Paul (DRC / Psycho Circus), but on his own it just doesn't pop the way it should to my ears.

Though I do believe that this recording is truly from the soundboard of that evening, surely they (whoever "they" is) had access to the individual stems and flew them into Protools to re-mix it for this release. I seriously doubt that this is the original board mix feeding the mains from that night. Then again, due to that fact that the guitars seem light, maybe.

But it just seems to me that it would be prudent to take a couple of days at the "console" to get everything sounding perfect. It wouldn't require any overdubs or anything, just a good set of ears and a computer. I mean it's really, really close on this.

The rest of the mix sounds great however so I think that I'm gonna pop for the CD version. It's still the best audio that I've heard from the reunion/PC/Farewell period so far. Millennium is mixed well musically, but it's just cluttered with way too much fake crowd noise, and the tempos are a bit sludgy. I still like that one too though.
It's very doubtful that KISS would have been carrying multi-track facilities to record their shows on the road in 2021 so the best source would be the original stereo recording from the soundboard.

There might be a chance that the radio station who broadcast it recorded it to multi-track but what probably happened was that they just had someone mix it in real time as it went out for the broadcast.

To my ears it sounds exactly like I expected it to. It's essentially slightly better than good bootleg quality but represents an energetic and enjoyable show. Warts n' all.
muddfoot
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by muddfoot »

Still waiting for my preorder……..
scotty971
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty971 »

My vinyl is arriving later today. I did buy the CD yesterday.

I enjoyed the show but I thought Ace’s guitar was way too low in the mix. The CD packaging is terrible. Cheap cardboard cover with no pictures or booklet or anything. I wish they took more than 5 minutes on that.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

dtk07 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Easy Catman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm Amazon prime UK delivered the CD this afternoon even though last night it said it was going to be delivered next Tuesday not complaining. The Vinyl was shipped on Thursday so should arrive either tomorrow or Monday fingers crossed. The CD packaging is certainly a no thrills affair no inserts. Nowt to read as you listen. It is what it is.
I wish there was at least a small write up inside but it wasn't to be. Someone needs to give Julien's phone number to Gene & Paul and let him do the liner notes for these sort of releases.
Ah, thank you! Hadn't even thought about it, but WOW! I would have loved the challenge! I might just have to make a jewel case insert for the CD now!
Pete2174
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Pete2174 »

Hopefully my vinyl turns up tomorrow. Been streaming my Apple Music version through the surround
Sound system. Sounds good.
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BagBoy »

Julien wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:44 am
dtk07 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Easy Catman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm Amazon prime UK delivered the CD this afternoon even though last night it said it was going to be delivered next Tuesday not complaining. The Vinyl was shipped on Thursday so should arrive either tomorrow or Monday fingers crossed. The CD packaging is certainly a no thrills affair no inserts. Nowt to read as you listen. It is what it is.
I wish there was at least a small write up inside but it wasn't to be. Someone needs to give Julien's phone number to Gene & Paul and let him do the liner notes for these sort of releases.
Ah, thank you! Hadn't even thought about it, but WOW! I would have loved the challenge! I might just have to make a jewel case insert for the CD now!
Share your write up with us fans! :)
Ratmir
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ratmir »

My main takeaway from listening to this show is that Paul shouldn’t have been singing like this in 2001
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

I love this live CD, th ebest thing they released since Carnival of Souls. Hopefully the second release in this serie will be released within months and not in 2025.
DOUBLE DYNASTY
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

"Thoughts"? You want to know my thoughts??

Okay, here's my thoughts:

THOUGHT #1: I wonder if this is the beginning of a bigger series? Will there be "Off the soundboard Detroit 1996" or "Off the soundboard Asylum 1986", for example?

THOUGHT #2: I wonder if this release has restored some fans faith in KISS, after so long of a wait between releases.

I would also like to add that I'm listening to this on AMAZON ALEXA and that I'm not sure, but IIRC, I have had this same show on CDR since 2001 or 2002. About 20 years, anyway.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

The people asking for a verbal write up by Gene & Paul to be included on the album - it really doesn’t make sense to do that for this particular release. It was kind of embarrassing that they were on a Farewell Tour and couldn’t keep the original band together for it. IMO it would be awkward for that reason.
johare
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by johare »

RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
I pre-ordered on black vinyl from Amazon. They first changed the delivery date to Wednesday, then I got an email saying I would receive it today...which I did. Amazon is usually pretty good with pre-orders so not sure what happened there.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

johare wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:56 pm
RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
I pre-ordered on black vinyl from Amazon. They first changed the delivery date to Wednesday, then I got an email saying I would receive it today...which I did. Amazon is usually pretty good with pre-orders so not sure what happened there.
Yeah. They updated my status and now it is set to arrive tomorrow.
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:04 pm The people asking for a verbal write up by Gene & Paul to be included on the album - it really doesn’t make sense to do that for this particular release. It was kind of embarrassing that they were on a Farewell Tour and couldn’t keep the original band together for it. IMO it would be awkward for that reason.
Why not? Paul and Gene shit on Ace and Peter in nearly every interview. Why would this be any different?
mcornettmedia
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by mcornettmedia »

PsychoElder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 am I ordered from Kissonline and haven’t even received a shipping confirmation. I guess I’ll be hearing it later than everyone else.
I had to cancel my Amazon pre-order from back in early May. I did that Friday evening. Re-ordered and got it Sunday morning. Fuck Amazon pre-orders. A bunch of bullshit!
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

I streamed it on Friday and was pretty blown away by it. Bought the CD on Amazon prime yesterday and arrived today. You are correct in saying it is no frills packaging. In fact, the discs themselves look like somebody bought a spindle from Office Depot and ran off a couple of copies at their house. Real chicken s*** packaging. Either way, still a great recording.
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

there`s some additional guitar parts added , like an third guitar .. listen with your headphones
Tito

Post by Tito »

lespaul wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 am there`s some additional guitar parts added , like an third guitar .. listen with your headphones
Can you point to an example, where exactly?
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

I still love you was horrible
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

Tito wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:54 am
lespaul wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 am there`s some additional guitar parts added , like an third guitar .. listen with your headphones
Can you point to an example, where exactly?
sorry , i was mistaken ...paul`s guitar got placed in the middle of the mix , f.ex when ace played his solos..and of course the ambience , reverb ..echo etc confused me :?

I think it otherwise sounds really good , well played and all that .

bring on more off the soundboards !!
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

aceeg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:57 am I still love you was horrible
eiricd
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by eiricd »

TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

aceeg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:57 am I still love you was horrible
Yes, just nauseating vocal gymnastics. I wouldn’t mind a short snippet as a precursor to BD - but without all the vocal warbling.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

I’m still debating getting this one as I was looking forward to it on vinyl. How does the vinyl sound compared to the iTunes/YouTube samples?

The online samples really sound light on the guitar and like there is a weird mix. I’d love to hear feedback on the vinyl
Bendeko
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Bendeko »

theincrediblehull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:01 am I am really enjoying it!

I saw this line up in Sydney and initially, I was bummed that Peter was not there. However, it was a great concert! Loved it. This is a great souvenir of a line up that I wish lasted long enough to record new music.
My thoughts as well. Were you at Sydney night 1 or night 2?
theincrediblehull
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by theincrediblehull »

Bendeko wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 pm

I saw this line up in Sydney and initially, I was bummed that Peter was not there. However, it was a great concert! Loved it. This is a great souvenir of a line up that I wish lasted long enough to record new music.
Night Two. You can tell from the video, it was very windy. :lol:
theincrediblehull
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

theincrediblehull wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Ha! My mistake. I thought you were referring to Sydney 1980.

As far as I remember, there was only one show at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in 2001.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

I knew the design was basic but blimey, I didn't expect it to be THAT basic. Guess they saved a few quid on the packaging with this one.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I got home from work to find my copy in the mailbox, I threw it on while I was doing after work stuff around the house, I'm up to Psycho Circus on the 2nd side of the 2nd LP now

I think it sounds great! Couple of thoughts:

Packaging obviously sucks. I don't care what anybody says there should at the very least be a couple of photos & maybe some copy from a then current review of the show translated to english or perhaps some new liner notes

Seeing this set spread over 3 LPs made me wish whoever was in charge of that particular piece of this release was around in 2014 to tell somebody/anybody that HITS should be a double LP instead of cramming it all onto one platter

I know this is soundboard & all obviously but still it's a little weird to hear an official Kiss live LP without all the canned audience, isn't it?

I wish Ace vs Gene & Paul would have simmered down enough for this line up to pick it back up together after car wash guy worked his magic. A studio LP from a 3/4 version of Kiss with Singer on drums could have really been something
indyfanmc
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by indyfanmc »

Hotter Than Heck wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Seeing this set spread over 3 LPs made me wish whoever was in charge of that particular piece of this release was around in 2014 to tell somebody/anybody that HITS should be a double LP instead of cramming it all onto one
Amen to that! Also COS should have been put on 2 as well.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

I got my copy yesterday and wanted to jump in with my review.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and was happy to put a newly released official KISS album on the turntable again. The fact that they started this series with this lineup was encouraging as well as it suggests that we might finally get live soundboard albums of all of the incarnations of KISS.

The packaging was drab and doesn't fit in with the rest of the collection, but I do get it. Plain packaging keeps them from using photos from their more embarrassing eras. I've got photos of me from the 80s and 90s I wouldn't want anyone to see either. I would vote for printed inner sleeves however, with liner notes from J to put the recording into historical perspective. I already know, but it's fun having something to read.

I'd agree with others here that the mix doesn't favor Ace's guitar. In particular "Love Gun" is very bass heavy. I also don't understand why Paul allowed this to be released with such a horrible rendition of "I Still Love You" on it.

Still, I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10 for a KISS record.
Bendeko
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Bendeko »

theincrediblehull wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:00 pm

As far as I remember, there was only one show at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in 2001.
If memory serves me right they did April 7 & 8 at the Superdome. I was at night 2
theincrediblehull
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Bendeko wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:11 pm
theincrediblehull wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:00 pm

https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/2001/2001.php

If memory serves me right they did April 7 & 8 at the Superdome. I was at night 2
You are correct Bendeko https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/2001/2001.php

My memory is shit! :(

Not sure but probably night 1, I would have bought tickets as soon as they became available. They usually put a second show on sale when the first show has sold well.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Wichita77 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm I've got photos of me from the 80s and 90s I wouldn't want anyone to see either.
You should let us see those. 😄
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

peopleselbow wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:59 pm I've listened a couple times. The mix sucks and Ace's playing isn't good.
It is a strange mix for Kiss - Paul's guitar is higher in the mix than Ace's, and he does seem to be doing quite a lot of the guitar heavy lifting. Which is unusual for Paul.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Has this been released first, because there are plans afoot to have Ace play some shows on the last leg of the tour?
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

BC Witch wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:27 am It's very doubtful that KISS would have been carrying multi-track facilities to record their shows on the road in 2021 so the best source would be the original stereo recording from the soundboard.
Such a "multi-track facility" would be a laptop nowadays or a regular computer back in 2000.
They also recorded multi cam video from that show, so why not multitrack audio?
Tito

Post by Tito »

steveh67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 am Has this been released first, because there are plans afoot to have Ace play some shows on the last leg of the tour?
If so, you'd think they would've told Paul about it so he could've at least tried to refrain from lambasting Ace's "erratic playing" in interviews on the day of the record's release.
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

kisswah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 am
BC Witch wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:27 am It's very doubtful that KISS would have been carrying multi-track facilities to record their shows on the road in 2021 so the best source would be the original stereo recording from the soundboard.
Such a "multi-track facility" would be a laptop nowadays or a regular computer back in 2000.
Yes. Multi track recording in 2000 would have been to a computer for sure, probably something more powerful than a laptop for a two hour show at that time. If it was a live-as-it-happened broadcast then there wouldn't be much point keeping anything other than the stereo mix that was put out on the night I guess.

Regarding this series, I read 'From The Soundboard' as meaning the stereo mix from the night of the show. Anything mixed from multi-racks would probably just be classed as a regular live album. That's how I interpret it anyway. But yeah, odd that they didn't record multi track seeing as they had multi cameras. Would seem like the thing to do for sure. I have to be honest I don't know much about this show so I didn't even realise it was filmed until you mentioned it. I just thought it was a radio broadcast.
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 am
kisswah wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 am
Yes. Multi track recording in 2000 would have been to a computer for sure, probably something more powerful than a laptop for a two hour show at that time. If it was a live-as-it-happened broadcast then there wouldn't be much point keeping anything other than the stereo mix that was put out on the night I guess.

Regarding this series, I read 'From The Soundboard' as meaning the stereo mix from the night of the show. Anything mixed from multi-racks would probably just be classed as a regular live album. That's how I interpret it anyway. But yeah, odd that they didn't record multi track seeing as they had multi cameras. Would seem like the thing to do for sure. I have to be honest I don't know much about this show so I didn't even realise it was filmed until you mentioned it. I just thought it was a radio broadcast.
You have a point concerning storage and so forth ... the KISS company probably just ended up with a Digital Video/Audio Master.
On the other hand, why not just release it complete with the video since it's KISS and not Mountain :-)
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

For such a boring setlist, it was a better listen than I was expecting. The mix (lack of guitar) does kinda suck, although it sounded better cranked up a bit. I do hate the packaging, though. The outer 'case' is very cheap, it's too damn big to put in a protective plastic album sleeve...not that there's much to protect anyhow, but nonetheless...and the individual jackets have no printing on the spines so they'd look shit storing them individually in sleeves. They should have either put some half-ass effort into the individual jackets OR made the outer case a jacket closer to half the size that could accommodate 3 albums and have the individual jackets as sleeves. Something like the Originals could have been cool and nostalgic...
Tito

Post by Tito »

I got an email today from the shop I preordered mine from informing me that I will not be receiving it on release date. This is a fucking joke.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Tito wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:36 am I got an email today from the shop I preordered mine from informing me that I will not be receiving it on release date. This is a fucking joke.
Nice of them to let you know 5 days later...you might not have figured it out otherwise!
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

Eric’s drum solo is Eh!
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

Just got my cd today and listened to disc 1 very loudly. I really enjoyed it especially hearing Paul still sounding very good vocally especially on Heaven's On Fire! I think at times Ace is turned down to low in the mix during his guitar solos. Let Me Go Rock N Roll is a good example. I think Eric sounds pretty good. Will listen to disc 2 later.
thundergod76
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thundergod76 »

Listened to it on YT Music. I originally had every intention of buying a physical copy but after listening I probably won't. The show is nothing special and I've heard these songs live 100x. Pauls stage raps and over doing every single song intro just kills this thing for me. I was hoping he wouldn't do that annoying "Whoooaa" during Cold Gin but he did. It ruins the entire song. Ace sounded better than I thought he would but he's sloppier than a wet mop. At times I felt his guitar was completely out of tune. His solo was tough to listen to. Other than that its just OK for me.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

Still waiting for mine to arrive.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

Got the U.S. and the German versions. The U.S. version is in brown cardboard and the German one is in white thinner cardboard and has the german logo.

Anyway, I like the album a lot but I'm sorry Eric is playing the drums way too fast for me. I might be the only person here that feels that way. Other than that I like the album a lot.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

BagBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am Well, today is the day! As KISS fans I call today a win. I think we all have our list of “I wish KISS would do…” and finally, they have listened to some of our pleas by releasing the first of a planned live series! And, from a line-up very few lucky fans got to experience.

What a great show! You can hear the energy that Eric brought to Gene, Paul, and Ace. They all sound great, and all the tracks have been awesome! It is KISS live, so little flubs and what not don’t bother me, it is what makes it authentic. Ace was close to the mic, Gene’s vocals were smooth at times, Paul was on fire, and Eric and his drumming, wow!

I’ve said before and I will again, if we wanna see more releases like this, we gotta show them we want them. Let your wallet do some talking. By all means Spotify and check it out, if you like it buy it!

Highlight tracks for me: Talk To Me, Firehouse, Shock Me, and Black Diamond

What are your thoughts?
Usually I'm not a fan of rehashed compilations, but I really enjoyed this album.