Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Easy Catman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

Post by Easy Catman »

Amazon prime UK delivered the CD this afternoon even though last night it said it was going to be delivered next Tuesday not complaining. The Vinyl was shipped on Thursday so should arrive either tomorrow or Monday fingers crossed. The CD packaging is certainly a no thrills affair no inserts. Nowt to read as you listen. It is what it is.
pete1699
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pete1699 »

Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm
pete1699 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 pm Maybe not an amazing show as far as the setlist
It's KISS, there will be no such thing. It's got "Talk To Me", that alone almost makes it an amazing setlist.
Very true, I agree.
I guess I just meant I wasn’t crazy about the setlist,
But it’s good.
dtk07
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by dtk07 »

Easy Catman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm Amazon prime UK delivered the CD this afternoon even though last night it said it was going to be delivered next Tuesday not complaining. The Vinyl was shipped on Thursday so should arrive either tomorrow or Monday fingers crossed. The CD packaging is certainly a no thrills affair no inserts. Nowt to read as you listen. It is what it is.
I wish there was at least a small write up inside but it wasn't to be. Someone needs to give Julien's phone number to Gene & Paul and let him do the liner notes for these sort of releases.
dtk07
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by dtk07 »

Just to add to above, more liner notes would be an improvement, but I'm happy to have the release just the same.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

dtk07 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm
Easy Catman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm Amazon prime UK delivered the CD this afternoon even though last night it said it was going to be delivered next Tuesday not complaining. The Vinyl was shipped on Thursday so should arrive either tomorrow or Monday fingers crossed. The CD packaging is certainly a no thrills affair no inserts. Nowt to read as you listen. It is what it is.
I wish there was at least a small write up inside but it wasn't to be. Someone needs to give Julien's phone number to Gene & Paul and let him do the liner notes for these sort of releases.
The last thing I’d want to see is more BS from Paul & Gene - just have some good artwork. God forbid they do a nice gatefold photo and some cool vinyl sleeves.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

BagBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am Well, today is the day! As KISS fans I call today a win. I think we all have our list of “I wish KISS would do…” and finally, they have listened to some of our pleas by releasing the first of a planned live series! And, from a line-up very few lucky fans got to experience.

What a great show! You can hear the energy that Eric brought to Gene, Paul, and Ace. They all sound great, and all the tracks have been awesome! It is KISS live, so little flubs and what not don’t bother me, it is what makes it authentic. Ace was close to the mic, Gene’s vocals were smooth at times, Paul was on fire, and Eric and his drumming, wow!

I’ve said before and I will again, if we wanna see more releases like this, we gotta show them we want them. Let your wallet do some talking. By all means Spotify and check it out, if you like it buy it!

Highlight tracks for me: Talk To Me, Firehouse, Shock Me, and Black Diamond

What are your thoughts?
I haven't listened to the entire album yet, but so far I'm liking what I have heard.
AliveIIside4
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AliveIIside4 »

My Amazon said Wednesday delivery this morning but now says it will be delivered tomorrow.
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BagBoy »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:24 pm
The last thing I’d want to see is more BS from Paul & Gene - just have some good artwork. God forbid they do a nice gatefold photo and some cool vinyl sleeves.
I do wish there was at least a photo of the band. I talked a little bit with the designer, and that was the direction he was given. And, he said they don’t have much photography from this line up.
PsychoElder
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by PsychoElder »

I just received an email from Kissonline saying that the Off The Soundboard products were delayed in reaching the warehouse for fulfillment and that they have begun shipping orders and expect the majority of the orders to ship next week.
mcald
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mcald »

PsychoElder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 am I ordered from Kissonline and haven’t even received a shipping confirmation. I guess I’ll be hearing it later than everyone else.
I ordered from Kissonline as well. I just got this email from them:

Hello,

The KISS Off the Soundboard products were delayed in reaching the warehouse for fulfillment. We have begun shipping orders but expect majority of orders to be shipped the week of June 14th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for shopping at the KISS online store.
cobohall76
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by cobohall76 »

I actually ordered from Amazon a few days ago and got it the day it was released. If anyone has t noticed, they overdubbed the announcer. Compare the original to this one and you will hear the difference. They should have left the original. I was still great.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

PsychoElder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 pm I just received an email from Kissonline saying that the Off The Soundboard products were delayed in reaching the warehouse for fulfillment and that they have begun shipping orders and expect the majority of the orders to ship next week.
Was there a monetary benefit of ordering from kissonline? Just wondering why one would order from them?
Pac-Man-Plus
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Pac-Man-Plus »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm
PsychoElder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:56 pm I just received an email from Kissonline saying that the Off The Soundboard products were delayed in reaching the warehouse for fulfillment and that they have begun shipping orders and expect the majority of the orders to ship next week.
Was there a monetary benefit of ordering from kissonline? Just wondering why one would order from them?
Colored Vinyl :(
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 pm
Not that I know of there wasn’t a monetary benefit. I guess I didn’t put that much thought into it. When it was announced for preorder I ordered the colored vinyl and CD. A friend of mine went looking for it today and nobody around our area is carrying it.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

The mix sucks. It's all Paul's voice, Eric's drums and Gene's bass.

Quite disappointing.
caligari
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by caligari »

Apparent mine will be here by tomorrow night.
I live in USA/NY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Just listened to all the iTunes samples. I’m kinda underwhelmed. Do the drums sound to tinny or something or is it just me. And yes the vocals are to high in the mix.
gooerstcb
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by gooerstcb »

RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
I ordered my cd yesterday as my local cd store said there distributer wouldn't have it until next week...maybe. I got an email from Amazon this evening stating that my order will arrive tomorrow. I also ordered the new Def Lep boxed set.
AstroWarped
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AstroWarped »

BagBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm
I do wish there was at least a photo of the band. I talked a little bit with the designer, and that was the direction he was given. And, he said they don’t have much photography from this line up.
Kiss should have done a shout out to the fans whom saw the show and asked for pictures or video clips to grab a picture from!
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts

Post by KISSFACE »

Yay, just got emailed a shipping notice and tracking number from KISSonline for my CDs. No estimated arrival date available yet. Economy ground shipping, so i don’t know how long that’ll really take. I’m hoping to hear it within the week! Or patience will run out.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

AstroWarped wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 pm

Kiss should have done a shout out to the fans whom saw the show and asked for pictures or video clips to grab a picture from!
Don’t be silly - that would take time, energy & money
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

I'm still waiting for my cd from kissonline.com. They did send me tracking this evening. I listened on Spotify and I really like it. Shocked that they put something out with two Ace songs and Shock Me with guitar solo is 13+ minutes!
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Any Aussies found it locally?

Jbhifi no listing, god I miss Impact records.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

steveh67 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:18 pm Any Aussies found it locally?

I miss the old record shop experience on the day of a new KISS release.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

i wish they've edited paul's spiels on this. it's grating and annoying.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

d4nugster wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:56 pm i wish they've edited paul's spiels on this. it's grating and annoying.
Lol, yes agreed. Paul is his own version of spinal tap. Fark he talks shit.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

BagBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:04 am
theincrediblehull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:01 am I am really enjoying it!

I saw this line up in Sydney and initially, I was bummed that Peter was not there. However, it was a great concert! Loved it. This is a great souvenir of a line up that I wish lasted long enough to record new music.
Would have loved some new music by this line up!!!
Yep!!!
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
Not sure where U are but in the US we have a labor shortage as folks are still getting Covid unemployment benefits while business strive to find workers.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

KISSFACE wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Even Utopia Records don't have a listing for it.
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BagBoy »

Agree! I think packaging, could’ve had a little more. We’re KISS collectors not minimalists! Haha.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

Just finished my first listen end-to-end with a few partials trips back through the highlights.

Overall, this is a good product. It's a good summation of a modern-ish Kiss concert and a much better representation than the Millennium Concert.

Favourite tracks: Talk to Me, Firehouse, Do You Love Me
Least favourite: 100,000 Years, Lick it Up, Let Me Go

Hope we can see more and more and more from this series. I'd like to see at least one album from each line-up. Maybe a HITS show, one of the South American Creatures era shows, and anything with Mark and Bruce together from the Animalize tour. Round off the live output for posterity.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Yep, got mine this afternoon. I did expect a *bit* more to it. I guess in hindsight the album's cover was a give away to the overall minimalist approach they gave this release. The cover is the best thing about it. I expected a booklet! I realise the pitch behind this is 'official bootleg', but this is not how the 'big bootleggers' do it.

I haven't played it yet. Doubt I will!
AstroWarped
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AstroWarped »

Where's Drago? wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:11 pm
Yep, got mine this afternoon. I did expect a *bit* more to it. I guess in hindsight the album's cover was a give away to the overall minimalist approach they gave this release. The cover is the best thing about it. I expected a booklet! I realise the pitch behind this is 'official bootleg', but this is not how the 'big bootleggers' do it.

I haven't played it yet. Doubt I will!
Yea, really these releases should be similar to the "Alive" albums only with the 'off the soundboard' tag and included pictures from the show and some trivia. This minimal approach coming from KIss is absurd and disappointing!
BarkBlue
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by BarkBlue »

Pre-ordered from Amazon on day one. It says my order will arrive today. It's 20.42 here now and they deliver up to 22.00 so I'm still hopeful that I'll Rock n Roll All Night and Part Every Night!
ClevelandRocker
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ClevelandRocker »

Does it sound any different from the unofficial release? Do you think it's been remastered or any overdubs were added?
shupey

Post by shupey »

Got my black vinyl (a day early..... shhhh) from a local record store I frequent (ALOT) The cd I ordered from Target long before it was officially announced should be here Tuesday. Black vinyl (I'll end up with two copies) shipped from KISSonline and should arrive Tuesday as well. Colored vinyl bundle from KISSonline delayed just like others mentioned. As for the actual product..... I like it. So cool to have an official item from such a short lived lineup.. Doesn't sound like any overdubs or anything. Paul does tend to overdo things between songs but that's Paul. Everyone sounds good. Very enjoyable listen and nice to have some "new" music from KISS.
mainline

Post by mainline »

Does anyone know if any of the tracks were edited?
eiricd
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by eiricd »

Streamed a selection of tracks. Ordered the vinyl based on that.
Eric gave the other 3 a much needed kick in the arse.
This was their second gig I believe?

Fingers crossed they have multitracks from Australia. The jam/medley is latter era make up Kiss at their best.
The video feed is probably lurking in the vaults as well, so a dvd would be amazing
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

Genes bass playing is on 🔥
BarkBlue
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by BarkBlue »

BarkBlue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:42 pm Pre-ordered from Amazon on day one. It says my order will arrive today. It's 20.42 here now and they deliver up to 22.00 so I'm still hopeful that I'll Rock n Roll All Night and Part Every Night!
Nope. Hoping for a Sunday delivery now.
BEARSFAN
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by BEARSFAN »

I have enjoyed listening to it. Nice to have an archive from this short-lived lineup. Temper your audiophile expectations, it’s a soundboard. In my opinion this concert was good not great.. I purchased it in hope that there will be more soundboards officially released. I would really like one from each tour.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

mainline wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 pm Does anyone know if any of the tracks were edited?
Doesn’t sound like it, Paul’s guitar is all over the place during the first song.
mainline

Post by mainline »

alanrosembung wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm
mainline wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 pm Does anyone know if any of the tracks were edited?
Doesn’t sound like it, Paul’s guitar is all over the place during the first song.
Thanks for responding.
Okay,that sounds good to me.
balish

Post by balish »

Pac-Man-Plus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 am Question as I don't have mine yet: Does it have the 'Ace Frehley band' section? (i.e. the little medley they did before Gene's quip)
The medley debuted in Nagoya, a few days later. They didn’t attempt anything in the first few Japanese shows.
balish

Post by balish »

BagBoy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:44 am

Agree! I think packaging, could’ve had a little more. We’re KISS collectors not minimalists! Haha.
They did, and I submitted.
But the design brief changed.
razor
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by razor »

steveh67 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:24 am
KISSFACE wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Even Utopia Records don't have a listing for it.
very true
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

I've listened a couple times. The mix sucks and Ace's playing isn't good.
LiveToWin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by LiveToWin »

Not like it all. Sounds to weird to hear Ace play on songs he never was involved in, and the setlist and sound is not good. Happy that I didn't spent money on this release. If the vinyl record doesn't include any inserts or extra, I will pass every release of this serie
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BagBoy »

balish wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 pm
BagBoy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:44 am

They did, and I submitted.
But the design brief changed.
Cool to hear! Any pic you can share here? :)

I do wish they would've had one photo either on the cover or the inside. Heck took me all but 5 minutes to do this real quick. And, this isn't a knock on who designed the artwork as they just follow what is requested by the artist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

I like it. Real live album and it documents the vibes how they sounded during that time.

Paul still had his great voice, Eric gives it a bit of an extra kick (though I'm a Peter fan). Ace is just Ace, not perfect, but very real.

I love to have more of these. Would prefer one of the Singer and Kulick years or one from the Creatures Tour.