Paul is ripping Ace's guitar playing in the press today.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
ftjr1974
Banned

Re: Paul is ripping Ace's guitar playing in the press today.

Post by ftjr1974 »

I lost all respect for Paul over the past 5 years. He's a proven liar for starters. He's contradicted himself many times over. And he constantly has to take jabs at Ace and Peter. I appreciate and respect Ace and Peter for seemingly taking the high road and not taking jabs back at this asshole. I'll be the first one to say Ace and Peter let the Kiss Army down many times throughout Kisstory. Sometimes I wonder if we all would've turned to drugs and alcohol if we had to work with Paul and Gene haha. But at some point someone, anyone, has to put this asshole in his place and call him out on his bullshit and lip syncing publicly!
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

Ace sounds great on the sound board
What’s he talking about?
Pete2174
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Pete2174 »

But Ace is erratic and sloppy and that’s why we love him, right?

Oh but hang on the nasty bitter Paul Stanley said it so let’s all jump on him again.

I must’ve imagined all those comments post the Kiss Kruise where nearly everyone who saw the footage said Ace should practice more??

Sure Paul may be a bitter old bugger but some of the ‘fans’ are waaaaaayyyy worse.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

Well, it is true. I don't remember hearing that many 1996/post-1996 performances, where Ace didn't fuck up the solo to some degree. IMO Paul didn't say it in a mean way and he was asked to compare Ace to Tommy. (Well, I don't know if the interviewer was told to ask that...)
Last edited by banks on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mackemkiss »

So we're not supposed to buy the soundboard release? Ok. What about Soul Station? I thought Paul said that was his main priority at the moment as he's not really feeling KISS? How's the lead guitarist on that release compared to Tommy? I need to know before I decide to buy
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Pete2174 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 pm But Ace is erratic and sloppy and that’s why we love him, right?

Oh but hang on the nasty bitter Paul Stanley said it so let’s all jump on him again.

I must’ve imagined all those comments post the Kiss Kruise where nearly everyone who saw the footage said Ace should practice more??

Sure Paul may be a bitter old bugger but some of the ‘fans’ are waaaaaayyyy worse.
You really see no difference between fans voicing their opinions whatever they may be and Paul Stanley, repeatedly, trashing his former bandmates in public?
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Tito wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 am
Pete2174 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:52 pm But Ace is erratic and sloppy and that’s why we love him, right?

You really see no difference between fans voicing their opinions whatever they may be and Paul Stanley, repeatedly, trashing his former bandmates in public?
I see the difference. Just find a lot of people to be hypocrites.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Pete2174 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:41 am
Tito wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 am

I see the difference. Just find a lot of people to be hypocrites.
Being of the opinion that Paul shouldn't feel the need to say this shit over and over does not negate the fact that Ace should have practiced for the Kruise gig. I don't think your comparison works here.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

Yall are lucky ya got 6 GOOD years out of em
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

I think we all know that Paul is referring to when he played with Ace. I don't think any of them are running around picking each other's current performances. The comment was misplaced. On the day of a release you should be building that lineup up in regards to the subject at hand...the release.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

CStomp1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:14 pm There's already another thread on this subject with quotes from Paul.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142184
But not everyone monitors every single post and every single topic,day and night to know that.

It shouldn't,but it actually irritates the f'''' out of me when someone does this.

Sorry don't mean to overreact. It's just a pet peeve of mine.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

ohiostate98 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm
nibbler1982 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 pm Paul was asked a DIRECT QUESTION:

“how Frehley's guitar playing compares to that of current KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer”

Paul feels Ace is guilty of being erratic in his guitar playing and Tommy’s much more consistent.

He answered the question.

Why the hell does everyone have a problem with that?
I was asked by my mom one time DIRECTLY to compare her cooking to my girlfriend’s. I felt my mom’s was much more “erratic” yet I told her that both were great. It wasn’t that difficult.

Goddamn you’re a know it all, Nibbler. There’s nothing worse.
That’s the way YOU chose answer the question.

YOU are saying YOU were being duplicitous in your answer to save your moms feelings. How callow. Although the question was posed to YOU and it’s you’re choice on how to answer.

Ultimately you’re mad at Paul for his honesty.

It’s as if YOU think YOU know better how he should answer that question.

How callow.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:36 am

“how Frehley's guitar playing compares to that of current KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer”

Paul feels Ace is guilty of being erratic in his guitar playing and Tommy’s much more consistent.

I was asked by my mom one time DIRECTLY to compare her cooking to my girlfriend’s. I felt my mom’s was much more “erratic” yet I told her that both were great. It wasn’t that difficult.

YOU are saying YOU were being duplicitous in your answer to save your moms feelings. How callow. Although the question was posed to YOU and it’s you’re choice on how to answer.

How callow.
This isn’t about being honest - it’s about decency, class & common sense. Something Paul has none of.
Im baffled you’re defending the guy here.
Last edited by TwistedTaste on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Here comes the peanut gallery.

If you don’t have the mental capacity to understand that Paul should have the common sense to be able to differentiate Ace & Tommy without putting either one down - then you’re a totally lost cause.

And he even took a shot at Peter.

Again - there is no way to defend Paul here without coming off as a shill.
It appears you don’t have the mental capacity to understand that YOU don’t get the choose how Paul should answer that question.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:45 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:36 am

How callow.
This isn’t about being honest, it’s about decency, class & common sense. Something Paul has none of.
Im baffled you’re defending the guy here.
*See my previous post*
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:45 am

If you don’t have the mental capacity to understand that Paul should have the common sense to be able to differentiate Ace & Tommy without putting either one down - then you’re a totally lost cause.

It appears you don’t have the mental capacity to understand that YOU don’t get the choose how Paul should answer that question.
Brother - I get it. I know I can’t answer the question for Sir Paul.
What many - including myself - are frustrated with, is the guy’s inability to NOT come off like a miserable prick whenever he’s interviewed.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

69th_B1izard wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:51 pm Real smart when the Off The Soundboard-Tokyo is released today and has Ace playing lead guitar for that show!
Ha! Thats no bullshit, either. Like, "... here's something we're hoping you'll buy, but ... its not that great, really." At the same time, for whatever reason, Stanley feels the need to address Ace not being part of the End of the Road Tour. Scratching that itch is, uncharacteristically, more important to Paul than making a few bucks.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:48 am

What many - including myself - are frustrated with, is the guy’s inability to NOT come off like a miserable prick whenever he’s interviewed.
Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Thanks -- STAR WARS quotes always bring a smile to my face!
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:57 am

So some people aren’t the giant asses they come off as?
Take off the “They Live” sunglasses bro
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:01 am

Nah...you got me all wrong.

I was speaking more in the...

“Us giant asses are perfectly content sitting here high on our pedestals.”

And two...

Maybe not as many people share your point of view as you think they do.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

Bruce wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:00 am Thanks -- STAR WARS quotes always bring a smile to my face!
Yeah, Pops took me out of school to go see Star Wars in Manhattan way back when. It was such an experience. He was a Sci-Fi fan.

I still have the program they were selling at the theater that day. Remember when they sold programs at movies?

Great times.

P.S.

The finale of Mandalorian Season Two is one of my favorite scenes in all of the mythos. That and the ending in Rogue One. Well, it’s pretty much the same scene.

Which is a good thing!
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:33 am
TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:01 am

Nah...you got me all wrong.

I was speaking more in the...

“Us giant asses are perfectly content sitting here high on our pedestals.”

And two...

Maybe not as many people share your point of view as you think they do.
Like I said
AceInTheHole
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceInTheHole »

When asked how Frehley's guitar playing compares to that of current KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer, Paul should have given this answer or a variation of this answer:

"It's not really fair to compare. That's like being asked which one of your children you love more. Ace was, is and will always be part of the Kiss family and I appreciate everything he did for the band. Tommy is our guitarist now and I appreciate what he has done for the band as well."

Thank You and Goodnight!

Was that so F***ing hard?
SpinningAcorn
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

Dr Borgo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:34 pm
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:18 pm
SpinningAcorn wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm
AceyAintInCharge wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:50 am He can't resist himself. As part of his promotion on the day of the release he's over at blabbermouth talking about how erratic Aces guitar playing is. This guy has no couth.
Yet, people attacked Ace and Peter for not participating. All they do is slam those guys to make themselves feel better.

Ace and Peter should unload. They should do a 2-3 hour Trunk interview (before and after) and just Rip Rip ... Rip & Destroy!

They should really go after Paul's lip-syching big time.
And stoop to his level? No way--let Ace and Peter continue to take the high road.
I dunno, at some point you gotta defend yourself and put a douchebag like that in their place. The fact that his voice is shot is a giant slam-dunk just waiting for Ace to bring up in interviews.

Bravo. Sometimes you've gotta get down in the mud when dealing with people like Paul.
kwf484
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kwf484 »

I was just thinking....

Is it possible that PS doesn't think that we know about his lip-syncing? Does he think he's fooling everyone?
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

There is a thing called having class that obviously goes over your head and you may lack in your own life. There are many ways to answer this question without throwing Ace under the bus.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

AceInTheHole wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:23 am When asked how Frehley's guitar playing compares to that of current KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer, Paul should have given this answer or a variation of this answer:

"It's not really fair to compare. That's like being asked which one of your children you love more. Ace was, is and will always be part of the Kiss family and I appreciate everything he did for the band. Tommy is our guitarist now and I appreciate what he has done for the band as well."

Thank You and Goodnight!

While I do like your answer...

Maybe Paul feels it’s apropos to berate Ace Frehley.

Looking back on their history I can see how that might be the case.

Considering the relationship it’s his prerogative.
So Cruel

Post by So Cruel »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:18 am
AceInTheHole wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:23 am When asked how Frehley's guitar playing compares to that of current KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer, Paul should have given this answer or a variation of this answer:

Thank You and Goodnight!

Fair enough, it is his prerogative, but how can he say it with a straight face when he croaked like a frog for a decade and now lip syncs? That is what really baffles me.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

So Cruel wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:18 am

Thank You and Goodnight!

Fair enough, it is his prerogative, but how can he say it with a straight face when he croaked like a frog for a decade and now lip syncs? That is what really baffles me.
Perhaps he sees apathy as woefully more egregious than inability?
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Thank You and Goodnight!

☝️ There.

Badmouthing well loved aspects of your own band is a special kind of fucked up.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Thank You and Goodnight!

This is what would have been said in any normal situation by any normal artist that doesn't have the issues that Paul has.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Speaking for myself, this is is why I love Ace. He's not a cookie cutter performer and the little "inconsistencies" that irk Paul so much help spice up the performance. So yeah, I have no problem with Ace's inconsistencies. If he's out there missing notes or screwing up the songs, that's ne thing, but if he plays a lick a different way to change it up, who cares?
ohiostate98
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by ohiostate98 »

Thank You and Goodnight!

Well said. It’s really not that difficult.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

ohiostate98 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Thank You and Goodnight!

Well said. It’s really not that difficult.
It is for Mean Mr. Mustard
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Ace's playing always has been erratic - never moreso, though, than during the Reunion era and after that.

Paul's right. Sometimes Ace was on it and playing great, and other times he sounded like a hack. It is what it is.
alanrosembung
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:06 pm
Speaking for myself, this is is why I love Ace. He's not a cookie cutter performer and the little "inconsistencies" that irk Paul so much help spice up the performance. So yeah, I have no problem with Ace's inconsistencies. If he's out there missing notes or screwing up the songs, that's ne thing, but if he plays a lick a different way to change it up, who cares?
Yeah. Paul got used to playing with Soulless Spruce for 12 years, so anything diverging from the script makes him panic.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Article in question, nothing he said wasn't true,even said KISS wouldn't be here today without ACe AND Peter, just more FAQboard "my feelings are hurt"from the Usual Suspects.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul- ... ach-other/
vantheman77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by vantheman77 »

Is all this because Ace and Peter declined to participate in the documentary?
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

kissthat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:06 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: Article in question, nothing he said wasn't true,even said KISS wouldn't be here today without ACe AND Peter, just more FAQboard "my feelings are hurt"from the Usual Suspects.

The reason I created the thread was The discus weather or Not That is a poor business model in regards to pushing the sales of a new release on release day. If you think that is a good business model great I however do not. Additionally I can't imagine another band thinking that it would be either.
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

AceyAintInCharge wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:16 pm
kissthat wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:06 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: Article in question, nothing he said wasn't true,even said KISS wouldn't be here today without ACe AND Peter, just more FAQboard "my feelings are hurt"from the Usual Suspects.

The reason I created the thread was The discus weather or Not That is a poor business model in regards to pushing the sales of a new release on release day. If you think that is a good business model great I however do not. Additionally I can't imagine another band thinking that it would be either.
I doubt Paul will make much at all from this but it could be argued that people are curious enough to hear what he's talking about for themselves. People willingly rent or buy The Room knowing in advance it's a terrible movie.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Read the last paragraph then, seems he's talking about Ace enjoying this time and doing well during the time Eric was there. I know it;'s hard to comprehend but both statements can be true, minus agenda of some.

The Japan and Australia shows are far and away the best shows of the Farewell Era.
70skid

Post by 70skid »

More pathetic shit from Paul. It gets so old.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

If Ace or Peter were to call out Paul's vocal ability sans Farewell tour, I bet there would crickets on this board.

The usual suspects would ignore it or defend Paul.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

Paul should rip Ace's guitar playing just like we do.
OrigialEraFan
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by OrigialEraFan »

King wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Meanwhile someone's lead vocals have been "erratic" for over 20 years
Bingo! Erratic, meaning inconsistent or Unpredictble. Pauls vocals on the nose!
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

Paul probably knows that the HC fans who buy this product will buy it anyway. It wouldn't be a good business move for the current Kiss either if Paul said that Ace buries Tommy in comparison.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

banks wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:43 am

Paul probably knows that the HC fans who buy this product will buy it anyway. It wouldn't be a good business move for the current Kiss either if Paul said that Ace buries Tommy in comparison.
That's why simply saying "You know it wouldn't be fair to compare" would be the tactful approach. I don't know why that's so hard for some to grasp.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

AceyAintInCharge wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 am

That's why simply saying "You know it wouldn't be fair to compare" would be the tactful approach. I don't know why that's so hard for some to grasp.
Well, someone did say recently that I'm dumb.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

banks wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 am
AceyAintInCharge wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 am

Well, someone did say recently that I'm dumb.
I certainly never said your dumb. Unreasonable perhaps since it's hard for you he agree on a tactful approach.