KissFAQ Song Stories: Kissin' Time

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

KissFAQ Song Stories: Kissin' Time

Post by Admin »

Erwin
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: KissFAQ Song Stories: Kissin' Time

Post by Erwin »

Love it Boss :thumright:
rwgriffith
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by rwgriffith »

Fantastic! Loved it...
Red_Walrus
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Red_Walrus »

I can't tell you enough how much I love this series. The MUSIC is always my favorite thing about Kiss and these song stories really deliver. After all these years and I'm still learning new things about Kiss. Thanks Julian.
StrangestWay
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StrangestWay »

Fantastic work as usual, Julian. As with Red_Walrus, the music is my favorite thing about Kiss and this is another fascinating deep dive into one cog in the much larger machine. Also, I've always liked "Kissin' Time"...it's not a well loved song, but I'll stand up for it. Cheers!
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

Very cool!
I had (and still have) 3 copies of the first lp without it!
I can remember trying to find a copy WITH the song as I could never find the 45!
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Nice.
Julian, Is this going to be a regular offshoot to the FAQ podcast?
I got to the FAQ "Love Her All I Can" song stories episode only the other day, and I thought it was exceptionally well done. Loved the recorded comparisons and the song coming together, writing process, etc.
I'll get to this in the next day or 2 as well...

Is the idea to analyse the more obscure or rarer songs? Will you drop episodes weekly? monthly? cheers..
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pm Nice. Julian, Is this going to be a regular offshoot to the FAQ podcast?
Thank you for listening. I structured a 10-episode "first season," with the plan to commit to the effort it takes for five of those. And then gauge reaction and see how it does... Still trying to get the episodes down under 20 minutes to be more love bites, since I think that will provide better engagement. So, we'll see, it's all down to reaction. While I'm doing this for personal satisfaction (challenge of the format and construction on a technical basis), if they don't interest listeners or generate discussions/debate, then the effort is wasted and I'll put that time to different use.
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pmIs the idea to analyze the more obscure or rarer songs? Will you drop episodes weekly? monthly? cheers..
Next week's episode straddles that line of obscure/rare... As for frequency, with only two definite episodes left, it'll remain weekly. If I do the others I may adjust the schedule, to every other week or whenever, due to demands on my time with the publication of the new book.
Padilla18
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Padilla18 »

Thanks Julian. Well done. Look forward to more.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

StrangestWay wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:11 am Fantastic work as usual, Julian. As with Red_Walrus, the music is my favorite thing about Kiss and this is another fascinating deep dive into one cog in the much larger machine. Also, I've always liked "Kissin' Time"...it's not a well loved song, but I'll stand up for it. Cheers!
Yes sir 👏👌 I'm on my feet too
Tallbear13

Post by Tallbear13 »

Another great episode love the back stories for the songs
mistermike40
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mistermike40 »

Thanks, I'm enjoying the series.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

These are very enjoyable, keep up the good work.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Great listen!

I never minded Kissin Time and never thought it sounded out of place (I could even imagine it on HTH or DTK). I actually really love it and it always reminds me of summer.

My OCD’s made me wish they’d added a fourth verse for Ace to sing about rocking on Jendell or in the Bronx. :drunken:

I guess his solo was his “verse”...

It was cool to hear Singer sing Peters verse on the Kruise. Would’ve loved to hear Carr sing it on the Unmasked or HITS tours.

To me, it’s quintessential KISS!
crimsonharpoon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by crimsonharpoon »

This is exactly how it's done, thanks Admin!
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Great work Julian! Thanks for doing these.
joma5477

Post by joma5477 »

sneed78 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 pm Great listen!

I never minded Kissin Time and never thought it sounded out of place (I could even imagine it on HTH or DTK). I actually really love it and it always reminds me of summer.

My OCD’s made me wish they’d added a fourth verse for Ace to sing about rocking on Jendell or in the Bronx. :drunken:

It was cool to hear Singer sing Peters verse on the Kruise. Would’ve loved to hear Carr sing it on the Unmasked or HITS tours.

Ace didn't want to sing at the time...hence the reason Gene or Peter sang the songs he wrote back then.
shupey

Post by shupey »

Good stuff Jilian. Had never heard that story about the town in Minnesota.
Easy Catman

Post by Easy Catman »

Great idea and very informative, always liked the Kiss version of Kissing Time, the band obviously didn't want to record it but they seemed to play it and sing it like they really meant it. Particularly the vocals.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Groovy podcast. Spotify is much appreciated. 👍
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Julien wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:20 am
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pm Nice. Julian, Is this going to be a regular offshoot to the FAQ podcast?
Thank you for listening. I structured a 10-episode "first season," with the plan to commit to the effort it takes for five of those. And then gauge reaction and see how it does... Still trying to get the episodes down under 20 minutes to be more love bites, since I think that will provide better engagement. So, we'll see, it's all down to reaction. While I'm doing this for personal satisfaction (challenge of the format and construction on a technical basis), if they don't interest listeners or generate discussions/debate, then the effort is wasted and I'll put that time to different use.
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 pmIs the idea to analyze the more obscure or rarer songs? Will you drop episodes weekly? monthly? cheers..
Next week's episode straddles that line of obscure/rare... As for frequency, with only two definite episodes left, it'll remain weekly. If I do the others I may adjust the schedule, to every other week or whenever, due to demands on my time with the publication of the new book.
A 20 minute Love Bite works very well. Perfect length. Got to Kissin’ Time and another great job. Very tight, packed with info and well put together. And the G&P voice over comments on the topic work great also!

To me Kissin’ Time was always SUPPOSED to be there! Never knew the contest story and all that until years later. So when I bought KISS; there was Kissin' Time in the track order. It was a KISS track to me! Always was!

Always loved that strong simple chord progression. Just picked up the guitar and found the chords - Im tuned standard so the F#5,B5 ,G#5, C#5 ,E ,B5 ,F#5 rpt… C’mon Detroit, wake up San Diego…….. Tommy loved it also Im sure - putting that intro in Second Coming in a brief scene focusing on the early days…

Didn’t realise it was ever performed. That version in Japan ’04(?) sounds really good. Paul could still sing really well there, so the harmonies from the 4 of them are really good! I’d like to have heard this more. Fun song and I always did and do see it as a KISS song!!

Looking forward to the rest of this series; its an excellent listen and I’d encourage all FAQers to check it out….
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 pm
sneed78 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 pm Great listen!

Ace didn't want to sing at the time...hence the reason Gene or Peter sang the songs he wrote back then.
Lol yes I know Ace was not secure as a lead singer then. He’s even mentioned in interviews that he was intimidated by the other three guys’ vocal abilities.

I was just posting a bit of wishful thinking since the original blueprint for KISS was the Beatles with George (Ace) and Ringo (Peter) even getting a turn at lead vocals... :bom:
black diamond
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by black diamond »

This was great, love it!! I somehow missed these so now I've got to catch up.