Tommy Thayer Fans: Identify Yourselves!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Tommy Thayer Fans: Identify Yourselves!

Post by Bruce »

0nce KIϟϟ committed themselves to becoming a nostalgia act, Tommy understood his role and has been very good at it. I like his playing on Sonic Boom and Monster, as well as on live performances.

I've also been reading up on Black N' Blue and they are spoken very highly of. Even being described as being -- dare I say it? -- influential. And his ghost playing on Psycho Circus and Hot in the Shade was first rate. I just like him -- I think he's cool. How about you?
John Shaft
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Tommy Thayer Fans: Identify Yourselves!

Post by John Shaft »

I've been a fan of Black 'n Blue ever since their first album and was able to spend an afternoon with Tommy and Jamie back in the Cold Gin days. He was a great guy then and a still a great guy now. He's a major Kiss fan that is living the dream that many others before him have only dreamed of and knows who butters his bread as I've NEVER heard a bad word from any fan that has met him.

A hard worker and a heckuva good guy who deserves all of the fortunes he now has, that's for sure.
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FiveCardStud »

Nothing wrong with the guy
Strutterer
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Strutterer »

I'm a Tommy fan. I think he brings a good vibe to Kiss and will be the steward of the band's history over the next 20-30 years. People can say whatever they want, but you cannot deny Tommy loves the band, the brand and respects his place in Kisstory.

Which Hot in the Shade songs feature his playing? I know he has a writing credit on Betrayed and The Street Giveth.
OHKISSFAN
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by OHKISSFAN »

:salut:
I have no problem with Tommy - he's contributed a lot to KISS & the organization over the years & helps keep the KISS Train rolling!
Good Guy.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

I think he does a serviceable job of Ace' solo's, knows his role in the band and is very professional. Seems like a decent guy too.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Strutterer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:06 am Which Hot in the Shade songs feature his playing? I know he has a writing credit on Betrayed and The Street Giveth.
I was very under the impression that Tommy played on those tracks and that's whats in the final thing. The solos I believe, Bruce did. But i have nothing definite to prove my case, though.
Mike5477
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mike5477 »

I think Tommy is a great fit for the band. Who better to have than someone who knows the band inside and out?
TheWolf
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TheWolf »

I am not one.

I prefer a bleed through your instrument guitarists in a guitar rock band, and what seems to be an all-around nice guy and decent manager in that role.

There were and are many great guitarists that could have taken the Ace role and just about any of them I would prefer from a musician and "appeal" for me, personally.

Not meant as a dig to TT, but I am not on board with this line up and the proof is in the history at this point.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

I don’t believe I’m qualified to make this comment but I’d say Tommy Thayer is the least talented guitarist KISS ever had.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Tommy and seen him live around 50 or 60 times. He’s a most capable Spaceman and does a great job. Seeing KISS live is still a magical experience for me and Tommy makes that a reality. It’s been an honor.

But if we’re talking one’s gotta be first and ones gotta be worst?

Well...I’ve said my piece.
Arrogant
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Arrogant »

Tommy has been great every time I've met him through friends at dinners, or just hanging out.

My complaints have nothing to do with him personally; but I can't stand his stage presence or inability to play simple riffs/solos.
But he's an integral part of the band in the sense that he at least attempts to get the setlist refreshed and has influenced various pieces of content - although he'd be the first to tell you that said influence has little-to-no impact.
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

@Bruce who has he influenced?
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Count me in.

A good player who is respectful to the band, his predecessor and to the fans. And by pretty much all accounts, a good guy too.

And given the shit that has been slung in his direction for nearly two decades, many people would have become jaded and bitter - but he hasn't at all.

Kudos, Tommy Thayer.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

battra wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:39 am @Bruce who has he influenced?
I've been looking for the specific article that spelled it all out, but i can't find it, now. I know I did not imagine it--!! Here's one, in the meantime, describing the band as America's Def Leppard ...

https://sleazeroxx.com/ron-keel-felt-th ... break-out/
Greasepaint74
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Greasepaint74 »

I like Tommy. Super nice guy, has been involved with the band on many levels. He’s not Ace, but it is what it is.
BEARSFAN
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by BEARSFAN »

Tommy has done a great job for what he has been asked to do!. I wish both he and Eric were not just employees of Kiss Corp. I think if they were allowed to contribute more to projects and music. We as fans would have seen a lot more from the “band” not just the brand.
vinniestkulick
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by vinniestkulick »

Good guy, serviceable... if anyone was going to do the Ace thing, I guess it had to be him. That said, given the chance to make a mark on his own material, I'd say he came up short, other than Modern Day, nothing comes to mind. I actually prefer his vocals to his playing... have liked both songs tossed to him on his albums, even if the subject matter for each was/is patronizing to the space or shock me thing. I do give him points for the stellar setlists on the RTN tour... but that value add sure vanished after one tour. The setlists they used to blame Ace & Peter for came storming back after one tour.
battra

Post by battra »

Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:53 am
battra wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:39 am @Bruce who has he influenced?
I've been looking for the specific article that spelled it all out, but i can't find it, now. I know I did not imagine it--!! Here's one, in the meantime, describing the band as America's Def Leppard ...

https://sleazeroxx.com/ron-keel-felt-th ... break-out/
So. He’s influenced whom?
mot$$33
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by mot$$33 »

Tommy is like Docs comment that Kiss is like Cracker Barrel. Pretty vanilla, solid, gets job done, without fanfare.
Super Bee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Super Bee »

I think Tommy is great. I have met him many, many times and every time he has always been very nice.

As far as his playing, I think he does just fine. I prefer Bruces style personally, but since we can not have Bruce, I am happy with Tommy. He knows his job in the band and he does a good job.

I did not care for Sonic Boom or Monster at all, but I do not blame that Tommy. I did however like his playing on PC.
thematinator
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by thematinator »

I live in Portland. One time my buddies were practicing at their rehearsal space & Tommy knocked on the door & complimented them (he was friends with the guy that owned the facility) which i thought was pretty cool of him. I’ve heard some negative stuff about him but that was mainly from former classmates/people close to Black & Blue. I personally think he’s fine I’m the band & was impressed to see how he’s stepped it up vocally since Paul’s decline. For the record I’ve met his replacement in Black & Blue (he was bartending at one of my bands gigs) and he came off as a pretty big jerk lol.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

battra wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:11 am So. He’s influenced whom?
I cannot find my source(s), so the answer must be ... no-one.
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Spaghetti boy.
battra

Post by battra »

Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 am
So. Let’s back off calling him influential.

He’s an Ace Frehley impersonator and a damned good one.
monkafunk
Banned

Post by monkafunk »

Gets the job done I guess. The "yes" man that G & P wants.
But like Eric Singer, is like listening to paint dry.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

I really like Tommy, he's a great guy and perfect for this version of KISS.
Glasgow Kiss

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

He comes off like a nice enough guy, and he plays the right notes in the right places which is probably what they want at this late stage in their career...personally I don't think he's actually added anything to the band or put his own stamp on the role, but by the same token I don't think he's been allowed to.

"Stand there. Play like Ace. Act like Ace. Move like Ace..." It is what it is.
KingOfHearts89

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

I like Tommy, he's a calm and collective player. During the show in Glasgow his guitar strings busted and he jumped straight back into Let Me Go, Rock & Roll perfectly. Watching him play the deep cuts on the kruise ('guess that solo' as well as live shows) are fun and just go to show just how big of a fan he is. I'm probably in the minority that would like to see him do some solo shows, I want to hear what else he can play, what other music he really enjoys.

His guitar playing pretty much holds the band together, with Paul and sometimes Gene playing with the audience missing notes he is that guy keeping the song going.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

battra wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 am
Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 am
So. Let’s back off calling him influential.

He’s an Ace Frehley impersonator and a damned good one.
Having been the lead guitarist for Kiss since 2003, its pretty much guaranteed that some kid has seem him and gone "I want to be like that".
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

I like him as a person. He seems humble, down to earth, appreciative, and accessible. Not really a fan of his playing, but in all fairness, he was never really given the opportunity in Kiss to do what he may have wanted. Gene and Paul wanted him to play in a manner similar to Ace and they're the ones that guide the band's direction.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

As far as I know there isn't much of Tommy on HITS apart from the acoustic on The Street Giveth.
Strutterer
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Strutterer »

One other comment that's popped into my head after reading the replies.

I'm glad Tommy's stayed in the band since joining almost 20 years ago. It would have been embarrassing for Kiss to go through another revolving door of lead guitarists, let alone Spacemen. I'm also happy Kiss didn't reach for a name brand guitarist, stick him in the makeup, and then watch him leave in 2006 or something.

Tommy wants to be there, gets compensated well and doesn't take away from the overall experience of Kiss. Can't ask for more at this stage.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

I wish he was kind of a jerk and a way better guitarist. He would elevate KISS then. The reality is that he is a yes man and the worst guitarist KISS ever had. That is not a good combination for creativity.
ftjr1974
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

I don't have anything personal against the man and I respect him as a musician. But he has no self-identity. He's literally an Ace Frehley impersonator. Just like Elvis has impersonators. I respect Thomas as a musician because Ace is a legendary guitarist who influenced a lot of guitar players and Thomas does a good job playing Ace's material. His "stage presence" is non-existent and quite boring. He has never looked right in Ace's make-up either. I'm sure he's a nice person and this isn't a personal attack against him. I remember an interview where he tried to strongly boast he is the spaceman. It was very odd and I didn't buy it. I enjoy the Sonic Boom record and most of the songs are good. But there is no originality of his on it. I understand that it's his job to be Ace. Monster isn't a bad record but I don't think it's a good record either. It's not a Kiss sounding record and if that is a sample of Tommy's originality, I didn't care for it.
rwgriffith

Post by rwgriffith »

I think Tommy does a great job in KISS. Sure, I wish things were different and Ace was still there, but we all know that whole situation was damned! I wasn’t a fan of him singing “Shock Me”. I like the songs he sang on Sonic Boom and Monster just fine! I would welcome either of those tunes at this point in the KISS live show...
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by His Majesty »

I was a Rich Little fan.
Ace Cadet

Post by Ace Cadet »

Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:39 am Image

0nce KIϟϟ committed themselves to becoming a nostalgia act, Tommy understood his role and has been very good at it. I like his playing on Sonic Boom and Monster, as well as on live performances.

I've also been reading up on Black N' Blue and they are spoken very highly of. Even being described as being -- dare I say it? -- influential. And his ghost playing on Psycho Circus and Hot in the Shade was first rate. I just like him -- I think he's cool. How about you?

Tommy is a good hard working dedicated guy. He’s not Ace but I accept him.
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Over here :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Black Ace

Post by Black Ace »

I’m a fan of beer.
Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Tommy has earned his place. And Eric's should never have been questioned.
Miss Kitty
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Miss Kitty »

I don't know that I'm a fan - that I'd run out and buy his solo album - but I have no problem with Tommy. He seems nice and talented enough.
DrummerRob10
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by DrummerRob10 »

i have zero issue with Tommy in the band or the makeup he is wearing. great player and is helping keep the band going. Great addition to the KISS family
Red_Walrus
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Red_Walrus »

Would love for Tommy to put out a solo album when all is said and done. Would be interesting if he could get guest appearances of the Kiss family ala Wendy O Williams' WOW.
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

Big fan here! Perfect fit for the band at this point. Gene,Paul,Eric love him and he gets the job done. 20 years + of excellence!
BagBoy

Post by BagBoy »

Right here!

I am very appreciative of Tommy Thayer and all he has done for KISS.
cowboytoast
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by cowboytoast »

Who cares if he's "nice" or not? My sister said the same thing when she met Jimmy Osmond at Carowinds when Donnie was too "busy" to come out and meet the fans-

He's a dull, salaried, by-the-numbers guitar player and a yes man to Gene & Paul that can also buy them socks if no one else is around to do it -

He is to KISS what Battlestar Galatica was to Star Wars in the 70's - He's is to KISS what Chek Cola was to Coke - He's like one of those bargain bin albums in the 70's that said on the cover "sounds like" in teeny words and "THE BEATLES" in huge letters in hopes no one would notice and buy it-

But....I'm sure he's a nice guy-
Goady
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goady »

He should be lauded far more for all the work he's done for KISS. He helped provide us with 20 more touring years and 2 (3) studio albums and if you don't like that, no problem, you didn't have to buy the albums or see the shows.
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

cowboytoast wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:27 pm Who cares if he's "nice" or not? My sister said the same thing when she met Jimmy Osmond at Carowinds when Donnie was too "busy" to come out and meet the fans-

He's a dull, salaried, by-the-numbers guitar player and a yes man to Gene & Paul that can also buy them socks if no one else is around to do it -

He is to KISS what Battlestar Galatica was to Star Wars in the 70's - He's is to KISS what Chek Cola was to Coke - He's like one of those bargain bin albums in the 70's that said on the cover "sounds like" in teeny words and "THE BEATLES" in huge letters in hopes no one would notice and buy it-

But....I'm sure he's a nice guy-
So that’s a no?
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I have no problem with Thomas. I think he's a great player and fits the band well.

He's the last KISS member I need to meet. Hopefully when things settle down and expos come back.
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

I’ve got nothing but total respect for Tommy. I was not a fan AT ALL when he joined the band. In fact I checked out for a bit. But, Tommy has won me over. 100%. Now I think he’s the perfect fit for the band. I love his respect for the band history and the fans. I always love this clip!