is Dressed to Kill the greatest KISS album?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

is Dressed to Kill the greatest KISS album?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:38 pm

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes: 204

Marty Scurll
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: is Dressed to Kill the greatest KISS album?

Post by Marty Scurll »

Love DTK! But greatest album? No.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

I'd rank it 4th of the original 6.

Love Gun
Hotter Than Hell
Rock and Roll Over
Dressed to Kill
KISS
Destroyer (Sorry, but the lack of Ace on most / all of the album, in addition to the meh songs, makes this one of my least favorite of the discography)
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

gothunder wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 pm One of them, yes.
This.

Paul's '78 solo is the absolute best, followed by Unmasked and DTK.
cholvey
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by cholvey »

I give it 72 out of 100 (10 songs) which is pretty strong but not their best IMO. I hate the sound of the album & that’s a big part for me, especially after HTH which was so heavy. I’ve never been a fan of CALM but I’m a huge fan of TT. Many would disagree with those choices. Love RB (although I prefer the Alive! version). Also love AFMB... in fact it’s one of my fav KISS tunes. I’m a sucker for that early blend of Doo Wop. Reminds me of the New York Dolls who KISS were huge fans of (& I still am). Great KISS album? Absolutely... their best? No, not in my opinion. Still heavy in my rotation.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

So been listening again and there is an overall cohesiveness to this album that has been often hard for KISS to achieve. Also the last album (IMHO) where we seen the Macca inspired walking Bass lines. So much to be loved about this album.
score2112
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by score2112 »

Rock and roll over is better overall.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

I just listened to the 2004 Dallas Instant live CD on my home system over the weekend.. I loved all the rare DTK and HTH tracks that were performed on the 2004 Rock the Nation tour. Fun times.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

jconnors wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 am I just listened to the 2004 Dallas Instant live CD on my home system over the weekend.. I loved all the rare DTK and HTH tracks that were performed on the 2004 Rock the Nation tour. Fun times.
Luckily in 2004 no one said "that's great, now play the hits" so they were actually able to do those.
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

IMO Destroyer and Dynasty are KISS' best two studio albums of the 70's. Everything else, I like better on Alive and Alive 2.
Coventry1973
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Coventry1973 »

DTK and RNRO are the two best KISS studio albums
Audrius
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Audrius »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 am IMO Destroyer and Dynasty are KISS' best two studio albums of the 70's. Everything else, I like better on Alive and Alive 2.
It is all about preferences between Kiss "polished" and "raw" albums.
My introduction to Kiss was through Destroyer, then came Dynasty.
I was shocked by the "poor" sound of Love Gun when I was listening to the album for the first time. I could not believe that the same band could play so differently.
Only later I went into liking of both productions of Kiss. More to that, somebody on this board said that it was equally intricate to achieve RARO type of sound in the studio as the pokished one.
Inspired by this topics I listened to all raw production Kiss albums yesterday. It was an amazing feeling when right after the studio songs from Alive II the new studio songs from Killers started playing. Such a great transition!
Nevertheless, I am glad that Dynasty, Unmasked and The Elder were released in between.
I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK »

No
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Audrius wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:16 am
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 am IMO Destroyer and Dynasty are KISS' best two studio albums of the 70's. Everything else, I like better on Alive and Alive 2.
I was shocked by the "poor" sound of Love Gun when I was listening to the album for the first time. I could not believe that the same band could play so differently.
Only later I went into liking of both productions of Kiss. More to that, somebody on this board said that it was equally intricate to achieve RARO type of sound in the studio as the pokished one.
Inspired by this topics I listened to all raw production Kiss albums yesterday. It was an amazing feeling when right after the studio songs from Alive II the new studio songs from Killers started playing. Such a great transition!
Nevertheless, I am glad that Dynasty, Unmasked and The Elder were released in between.
And don't get me wrong. I don't DISlike any of those other albums. They're fine. But I would say 90% of the time if I want to hear those songs, I put on either Alive or Alive 2. Sure, once in a while I'll spin Love Gun or Rock And Roll Over. But the vast majority of my 70's KISS listening is made up of Alive!, Alive2, Destroyer, and Dynasty.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

jconnors wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:16 am I just listened to the 2004 Dallas Instant live CD on my home system over the weekend.. I loved all the rare DTK and HTH tracks that were performed on the 2004 Rock the Nation tour. Fun times.
They really should make those widely available. The answer is probably that it was a one time deal. They need the Grateful Dead's lawyers.
Audrius
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Audrius »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:11 am
Audrius wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:16 am
And don't get me wrong. I don't DISlike any of those other albums. They're fine. But I would say 90% of the time if I want to hear those songs, I put on either Alive or Alive 2. Sure, once in a while I'll spin Love Gun or Rock And Roll Over. But the vast majority of my 70's KISS listening is made up of Alive!, Alive2, Destroyer, and Dynasty.
I get your point fully. Before I went into liking of RARO and especially Love Gun sound which was too weak to me initially, the songs on Alive II from these albums sounded "sonically" inhanced. The same with the songs on Alive!, especially from HTH.