Is KISS the greatest rock band of all time??

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
TheSpoiler
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Is KISS the greatest rock band of all time??

Post by TheSpoiler »

Nellcote71 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:09 am
You’re an anomaly that prefers Kiss lite. Which is your entitled opinion, but it’s not the norm...
You're describing the heavier material as "Kiss Lite"? Or is this just another putdown to an era that you disapprove of?
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:38 am
You’re an anomaly that prefers Kiss lite. Which is your entitled opinion, but it’s not the norm...
You're describing the heavier material as "Kiss Lite"? Or is this just another putdown to an era that you disapprove of?
80’s Kiss was a joke. They were one of a million other pedestrian hair bands. And I won’t even go into attack of the clones.

And what heavier material are you referencing?
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

I always like Jimi Hendrix’s answer, when someone praises him as being the greatest:
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Nellcote71 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:56 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:38 am
80’s Kiss was a joke. They were one of a million other pedestrian hair bands. And I won’t even go into attack of the clones.

And what heavier material are you referencing?
Lick It Up, Creatures, Animalize etc. Heavier than what came before by a wide margin. Surely even you wouldn't dispute that. Then again.... :lol:
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

Do you understand that Creatures was just G&P jumping on the HM bandwagon? They were forced to go heavy after multiple flops. Just a phony album - with not a single decent Paul song. LIP was good. Animalize garbage.

Regardless, Kiss was never a heavy metal band - they were a rock and roll band. They lost the rock with Ace and the roll with Peter. Not to say G&P weren’t important - they were. But G&P left to their own devices were a couple of used car salesmen. Zero integrity imo. Once the original band fell apart and Bill was gone they were done. There was nothing unique to them.
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

Wow. A ten year old thread revived? Yeesh!

Yes, to me, KISS is still the greatest rock band of all time. But, to Rolling Stone magazine and radio listeners around the world, KISS would hardly rate.

But, you know what? We’re millions strong! Never let ‘em getcha’ down—KISS is still the best.

I’m not a fan of what they’ve been doing as a band since after they released Monster, but they’re just out on an extended pre-retirement run indefinitely is how I view what they still do. They’re old. They’re lazy. But they’ve nothing left to prove to me, so let them die out the way they want. I’m good with my memories.

There will never be another band as magical and as big in the history of music, ever again.
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

Man, I was as big a KISS fan as anyone back in the day, but I find it hilarious that in 2020, anyone could suggest that KISS were the greatest rock band of all time. KISS does not hold a candle to Led Zep, the Stones, Rush, Aerosmith, Van Halen, or dozens of other bands. The original band put out mildly entertaining songs backed by a killer stage show. Forty years later they are still playing the same material with a boring stage show and fireworks display. This is reality people, and if you think that KISS are kings, you obviously know very little about music.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Nellcote71 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:56 am Do you understand that Creatures was just G&P jumping on the HM bandwagon? They were forced to go heavy after multiple flops. Just a phony album - with not a single decent Paul song. LIP was good. Animalize garbage.

Regardless, Kiss was never a heavy metal band - they were a rock and roll band. They lost the rock with Ace and the roll with Peter. Not to say G&P weren’t important - they were. But G&P left to their own devices were a couple of used car salesmen. Zero integrity imo. Once the original band fell apart and Bill was gone they were done. There was nothing unique to them.
You're confusing your opinion with fact again, Nell. You do this a lot. While you worship at the altar of Ace & Peter, others of us might find Creatures an Lick It Up more enjoyable. You gonna be able to cope with that? ;)
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re:

Post by scottbassist »

jconnors wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:42 am greatest band ever...STONES

greatest american band....KISS
I love The Stones, but I actually prefer The Who and 1973-1982 Kiss. I have so many favorite bands/artists. 🙂
Somebody Backstage
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Somebody Backstage »

Not even close.
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Greatest American band to my mind. But too many greats for them to compete with from abroad.
rwgriffith
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by rwgriffith »

Maybe not the GREATEST, but they are definitely my FAVORITE!
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

StarChildBlade wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:57 am Wow. A ten year old thread revived? Yeesh!

Yes, to me, KISS is still the greatest rock band of all time. But, to Rolling Stone magazine and radio listeners around the world, KISS would hardly rate.

But, you know what? We’re millions strong! Never let ‘em getcha’ down—KISS is still the best.

I’m not a fan of what they’ve been doing as a band since after they released Monster, but they’re just out on an extended pre-retirement run indefinitely is how I view what they still do. They’re old. They’re lazy. But they’ve nothing left to prove to me, so let them die out the way they want. I’m good with my memories.

There will never be another band as magical and as big in the history of music, ever again.
I think it goes far beyond Rolling Stone Magazine and radio listeners. Most die hard rock/metal fans do not consider KISS the greatest band of all time. If anything, they are more likely to think they are among the worst if anything. KISS fans are not new to the mocking for liking KISS.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

In some ways they are, little Timmy. In some ways they are.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

The one thing KiSS has - along with perhaps Blue Man Group - is the instant facial recognition thing. Gene flaunts it sometimes; but yes - it’s true. You can show a photo of the 4 KISS characters to almost anyone, anywhere.... and they will be identified as KISS. The “showee” may not like KISS; may not know any of their songs, history or never ever “get it”. But they know who the 4 characters are. That’s very substantial. Instant recognition.
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:57 pm
StarChildBlade wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:57 am Wow. A ten year old thread revived? Yeesh!

I think it goes far beyond Rolling Stone Magazine and radio listeners. Most die hard rock/metal fans do not consider KISS the greatest band of all time. If anything, they are more likely to think they are among the worst if anything. KISS fans are not new to the mocking for liking KISS.
WRONG.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

StarChildBlade wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

WRONG.
It's not and you know this, but whatever. Go to any general hard rock or metal forum and they are often shitting on KISS - while they show appreciation for more "serious" bands. We all have our stories too of hard rock/metal fans making fun of KISS fans, KISS sucks, etc.
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:53 pm
StarChildBlade wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

WRONG.
It's not and you know this, but whatever. Go to any general hard rock or metal forum and they are often shitting on KISS - while they show appreciation for more "serious" bands. We all have our stories too of hard rock/metal fans making fun of KISS fans, KISS sucks, etc.
That’s every band in existence though. AC/DC fans actually think they are some world class musical band on some forums...to me they are a down and dirty 3 chord rock band like Kiss.
KLP68
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KLP68 »

One of the greatest no doubt but it’s subjective. AC/DC one day I believe was the greatest then the next day it will be KISS.
gappvembe

Post by gappvembe »

KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

rwgriffith wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:38 pm Maybe not the GREATEST, but they are definitely my FAVORITE!
Best answer.
Mystogan

Post by Mystogan »

I'll give my actual answer now.

1974-1980 KISS is the ultimate band to me. The magic when I watch the old videos is always there. and I still love the music and always go back to it. As a whole package I have to say they are easily my favorite because of all the continued interest and joy I get out of that time period. Not to dismiss the other eras, I like most of them also, but those 7 years are the magic ones to me. I don't care how much I know about the band or what they've done in the last 10 years to shit on their legacy, nothing can kill the feeling I get when I watch Sydney 1980 or Tokyo 1977 etc.

Musically I would not say they are the best. I have heard music I think is much better. Bruce Springsteen's run of albums from Born To Run to Tunnel Of Love is the best music I have ever heard personally, it's what hits me the most. If you ask me who I think the best Hard Rock band is, purely on music, it's going to be Ac/Dc with Bon. and when I think "Greatest Rock Band" The Beatles is the first and only thing that comes to mind as #1.

But KISS just has something more to them, something I don't get with any other band. You know, all this music is in retrospect to me. Not something I was ever part of or followed. I have lots of new artists I follow nowadays (primarily Japanese ones) but before I got into that, music in my life was always looking back at stuff before my time. So there is this charm to old KISS that is undeniable. They will always be my #1.
Pollux
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pollux »

Why is Kiss dinosaur rock? What is dinosaur rock, anyway? There is also this concept classic rock. Does it mean good / best rock music ever made? To me it does, yes.