Is KISS the greatest rock band of all time??

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KLP68
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Is KISS the greatest rock band of all time??

Post by KLP68 »

KISS is definitely up there with the greatest. Who is the greatest? that is purely subjective to yourself.
Ratmir
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ratmir »

No. But they are to me
Potato Salad
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re:

Post by Potato Salad »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:19 am
And in regard to AC/DC, fuck yes they are overrated. Looking at message board discussions and YouTube comments, people just wanna get on their knees and blow these guys, it seems. It's ridiculous. Look for AC/DC VS Queen, or AC/DC VS Led Zeppelin, and almost all comments say "AC/DC #1!!!! ALL ELSE SUCKS!!!". It's a fuckin' sacrilege of rock to rate AC/DC more talented than those guys. Bands like KISS can catch flack because they make dumb rock songs, but with AC/DC it's okay because it's AC/DC. How the fuck does that shit work? And I'm sick of all these teens with AC/DC (Or KISS, Queen, Led Zep for that matter which I see all the time) shirts cause they think it makes them cool even though they know only 3 songs.

AC/DC is the most overrated rock band, right up there with U2. I'm sick of seeing a shitload of AC/DC crap at WalMart, all the while knowing how much WalMart dropped the ball on KISS' promotion. I used to be an AC/DC fan, now I find myself not being able to stand them because of annoying fans cumming in their pants everytime they see Brian Johnson gurgling into a microphone and Angus Young doing his 60,000 duck walk. Plus the Bon Scott era is ignored by the media. Which was AC/DC to me.
Do you still agree with this?
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

For me yes. For others, probably not.
doombies
Banned

Post by doombies »

Not THE greatest. But ONE of the greatest
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

On a related note, they've certainly done more than just about any other band to tarnish their legacy in time since this thread was created. There are some that would argue that they've been doing that since at least the early 80s.
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wezze »

For me? Yes!

Objectively speaking? No!
Kisscandinavia

Re:

Post by Kisscandinavia »

aceshigh wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 pm They are the greatest band of all time TO ME, and thats all that matters. :D

That's true.
Kiss was huge in America in the 70's, but LOTS of bands were MUCH more popular here in Europe in the 70's. Kiss was big in Sweden, but nowhere else here.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Re:

Post by Tito »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 am
aceshigh wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 pm They are the greatest band of all time TO ME, and thats all that matters. :D

That's true.
Kiss was huge in America in the 70's, but LOTS of bands were MUCH more popular here in Europe in the 70's. Kiss was big in Sweden, but nowhere else here.
Massive in Norway and Finland in the '80s.
steve

Post by steve »

Not even close to it, but still lots of fun and the source of many fond memories.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Tito wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:50 am

That's true.
Sure, but Uriah Heep, Slade, Queen, Sweet... Even Mud and Alvin Stardust were bigger here in the 70's.
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

steve wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:34 am Not even close to it, but still lots of fun and the source of many fond memories.
That's my take on it too.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:01 am
Tito wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:50 am

That's true.
Sure, but Uriah Heep, Slade, Queen, Sweet... Even Mud and Alvin Stardust were bigger here in the 70's.
I didn't realize this was about the '70s.
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re:

Post by andreww1962 »

StarChildBlade wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 am
kissdude92 wrote:IMO, The Beatles are not the best band ever.Bands like KISS, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, and AC/DC are the best bands ever. They managed to stay alive and release albums through rough times, some not as great as others, but in the long run, they win. The Beatles were the first band to walk the path that Elvis Presley made, without them KISS and any other Rock band would not exist. THATS what makes them a great band, IMO 8)
Very insightful, bro.

KISS are THE greatest straight up rock band of all time. Hands down.
Aerosmith, Queen, and AC/DC follow suit, but Kiss leads the pack.
Hahahahaha
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

Kiss is the Greatest Rock band in the world if :

A) we disregard all the bands that are better than KISS
B) we do not consider the quality of their musicianship
C) we ignore the fact that they haven't done anything noteworthy in 40 years
D) we ignore the fact that their lead singer cant sing
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

no
LoveGun77

Re:

Post by LoveGun77 »

kssdiehard wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 pm They're not the best, but they're my favorite.
This is my view on it too...I think it's the best way to put it.

They're not in the same league as Beatles,Stones,Zeppelin etc. Not in talent,songwriting,sales,fame etc. Having said that,they're still my favorite because of their music. At the end of the day,that's the most important aspect of them for me.
El Millo
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by El Millo »

Yep
acevog75
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by acevog75 »

The most interesting for sure.
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Potato Salad wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 pm
And in regard to AC/DC, fuck yes they are overrated. Looking at message board discussions and YouTube comments, people just wanna get on their knees and blow these guys, it seems. It's ridiculous. Look for AC/DC VS Queen, or AC/DC VS Led Zeppelin, and almost all comments say "AC/DC #1!!!! ALL ELSE SUCKS!!!". It's a fuckin' sacrilege of rock to rate AC/DC more talented than those guys. Bands like KISS can catch flack because they make dumb rock songs, but with AC/DC it's okay because it's AC/DC. How the fuck does that shit work? And I'm sick of all these teens with AC/DC (Or KISS, Queen, Led Zep for that matter which I see all the time) shirts cause they think it makes them cool even though they know only 3 songs.

AC/DC is the most overrated rock band, right up there with U2. I'm sick of seeing a shitload of AC/DC crap at WalMart, all the while knowing how much WalMart dropped the ball on KISS' promotion. I used to be an AC/DC fan, now I find myself not being able to stand them because of annoying fans cumming in their pants everytime they see Brian Johnson gurgling into a microphone and Angus Young doing his 60,000 duck walk. Plus the Bon Scott era is ignored by the media. Which was AC/DC to me.
I had to double check I even wrote that. Hot damn. What hyperbole. Embarrassing. Talk about an angsty-teen rant.

I think I was more agitated by their fanbase - which, I do find to still be as obnoxious as I did then. Go to any AC/DC forum and you'll see how their fans still act like they're Yes or Rush in terms of output.
:P
And I still would agree that there's a double standard of giving bands like KISS flack for their simplicity in style/lyric whereas AC/DC gets praise. I also agree with me saying the Bon Scott era is often way too ignored.

But no, overall I don't agree with calling AC/DC overrated. I wrote that when I was in my mid-teens. I'd also never insult Brian (but I would say my complaints about his voice at the time were rooted in some fact) or Angus. They're international treasures.

I think I was annoyed with how ridiculous their fans can be. And I was jealous of how successful Black Ice and Sonic Boom didn't come close.
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

In the eye of the beholder
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

To me KISS is the greatest rock band of all time.
Mystogan

Re:

Post by Mystogan »

IWannaBeSomebody wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:44 am I cant decide whos better KISS or AC/DC.

Oh hey, I wonder what inflammatory 14 year old this is... :drunken:
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

Yes.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:03 am On a related note, they've certainly done more than just about any other band to tarnish their legacy in time since this thread was created. There are some that would argue that they've been doing that since at least the early 80s.
Couldn't agree more. Any "greatness" KISS could have had, they totally fucking blew it with some of the worst decisions and ultimately a mission it seems to run the band into the ground.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Some people might argue The Ramones are the greatest rock band of all time.
cgtrman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by cgtrman »

Led Zeppelin > KISS
THUNDERKISS66
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by THUNDERKISS66 »

KISS is one of the greatest Rock and Roll bands in history and
definitely one the most prolific in merchandise.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

old Andy said yes‘ yes they are---- he says no other music\artist does to him what KISS does....
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

The real big guns are the Rolling Stones IMHO.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:56 am

I had to double check I even wrote that. Hot damn. What hyperbole. Embarrassing. Talk about an angsty-teen rant.

I think I was more agitated by their fanbase - which, I do find to still be as obnoxious as I did then. Go to any AC/DC forum and you'll see how their fans still act like they're Yes or Rush in terms of output.
And I still would agree that there's a double standard of giving bands like KISS flack for their simplicity in style/lyric whereas AC/DC gets praise. I also agree with me saying the Bon Scott era is often way too ignored.

But no, overall I don't agree with calling AC/DC overrated. I wrote that when I was in my mid-teens. I'd also never insult Brian (but I would say my complaints about his voice at the time were rooted in some fact) or Angus. They're international treasures.

I think I was annoyed with how ridiculous their fans can be. And I was jealous of how successful Black Ice and Sonic Boom didn't come close.
Interesting take 10 years apart. I’m sure we’ve all changed our views a decade later, which in your case might be almost half your life. But I must say I’m a bit closer to your decade old opinion than your current one. I like AC/DC but the repetitive nature of pretty much all of their music makes me feel they are overrated.

I think they’re a good band, but I don’t think they should be sitting up on the same pedestal as the real big boys. If they only had a KISS type career I think that would be about right. But they dwarf KISS in most areas (album sales, concert attendances etc.) and I don’t really get it.
AceBishop
Banned

Re:

Post by AceBishop »

headlong wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 pm To me they are. That's all that matters.
On a Kiss message forum, that would be the only healthy approach. Signing off with one of my favorite pics of the greatest rock band of all time.
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

Kiss with the original members in the 70’s was potentially comparable to bands like Aerosmith or ZZ Top - but the G&P+ sidemen versions of Kiss were no where’s near those bands.

And I wouldn’t even think of comparing Kiss to Zep, WHO, Dead, Stones, AC/DC. Original Kiss had the potential to bridge the gap to those great bands but G&P ruined the band with the combination of Gene’s arrogance/ego & Paul’s lack of confidence/need to jump on whatever he felt was popular at the time.

Let’s be honest - G&P were never Rock & Rollers. They had no clue how to read the public or even their own fan base. They really were nerdy guys who stepped in shit and then repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. Ill give them credence & say they were resourceful. They still feed on a legion of kiddies who got hooked on the band early on. Plus they used the backs of A&P to gain popularity again in the 90’s & beyond. They really should build a shrine/statue of Neil, Sean, Bill, Ace & Peter.

I’d say never was there a luckier band than kiss.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Nobody does it better.
Attachments
STH promo photo.jpg
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Nellcote71 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pm Let’s be honest - G&P were never Rock & Rollers.
What a crock. Did they not drink/drug/party enough for your approval? Do you really subscribe to the "real rock and rollers behave like X" line of thinking?

"They were never rock and rollers" is juvenile, Nell. :lol:
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:16 pm
Interesting take 10 years apart. I’m sure we’ve all changed our views a decade later, which in your case might be almost half your life. But I must say I’m a bit closer to your decade old opinion than your current one. I like AC/DC but the repetitive nature of pretty much all of their music makes me feel they are overrated.

I think they’re a good band, but I don’t think they should be sitting up on the same pedestal as the real big boys. If they only had a KISS type career I think that would be about right. But they dwarf KISS in most areas (album sales, concert attendances etc.) and I don’t really get it.
My post 10 years ago came from a place of envy, more than anything.
Rockandrolloverman
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

twdavis wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:59 pm As a disclaimer, let me say that I understand that there are alot of great rock groups with much better muscianship than KISS, and are alot more widely respected. And believe me, I like alot of different artists.

Putting aside musicianship and the fact that other bands write "better music", putting aside the Beatles, because they can't factor into this, as far as what rock and roll is supposed to be, and KISS are very straight up about it, do you think that KISS is the greatest rock group of all time?? Remember, separating musicianship and overindulgence from what we're talking about, and taking away any factors such as the Beatles, the metal movement, the grunge movement, the 80s hair metal shit, etc, do you think KISS is the greatest straight up rock group of all time??

Personally, I do.

Make fun of me, call me crazy, but it's a combination of everything- the makeup, the legend, the straight up dinosaur rock, everything comes together in a way that pleases me in a way no other band has or does.

Thoughts??

8)
Overall, considering all aspects of the band, I would say they are the greatest in my opinion

but then again I’m a diehard fan and have been for 40 years

What they lacked in songwriting talent they made up for in ambition and willingness to go above and beyond in the aesthetics and live spectacular presentation
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

They actually hear the fans and obey. They don't think about writing a disco song, because it's so easy to write and get a hit from that - which resulted in a fan exodus.

KISS isn't Queen and their trend chasing came off as phony and calculated. Sure there is always that fan that digs KISS' bandwagon attempts that were usually too late, but KISS would have been better off with a more consistent discography like AC/DC and many other top rock bands that didn't really stray too far from their classic sound.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:32 pm

They actually hear the fans and obey. They don't think about writing a disco song, because it's so easy to write and get a hit from that - which resulted in a fan exodus.

KISS isn't Queen and their trend chasing came off as phony and calculated. Sure there is always that fan that digs KISS' bandwagon attempts that were usually too late, but KISS would have been better off with a more consistent discography like AC/DC and many other top rock bands that didn't really stray too far from their classic sound.
I also think it’s a different set of fans. Maybe because of their musical familiarity, AC/DC can attract that casual following where people will buy an album and see a show but aren’t what you might call a diehard fan. With KISS you either love ‘em or hate ‘em. Of course there are objections to the rule but KISS don’t have the casual fans that AC/DC have. It feels like a high percentage are obsessive types. KISS are the Star Wars of rock.
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:04 pm
Nellcote71 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pm Let’s be honest - G&P were never Rock & Rollers.
What a crock. Did they not drink/drug/party enough for your approval? Do you really subscribe to the "real rock and rollers behave like X" line of thinking?

"They were never rock and rollers" is juvenile, Nell. :lol:
They are total dorks, c’mon man.
I totally stand by that comment - they r as un r’n’r as you get.

It’s one of the things that made Kiss so different then other bands (being the 2 frontmen were teetotaling straights)

Attachments
image.jpeg
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

KISS, one of the greatest bands of all-time!
steve

Post by steve »

Nellcote71 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pmKiss with the original members in the 70’s was potentially comparable to bands like Aerosmith or ZZ Top - but the G&P+ sidemen versions of Kiss were no where’s near those bands.
Except Aerosmith's first six albums, and those of AC/DC, Rush, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult and Van Halen are all more consistent from front to back, and more highly regarded, than anything KISS recorded with the original members that you and so many others insist on fawning over.

Even at the peak of their popularity, KISS were more concerned with churning out new product to keep the show on the road than putting in the time and effort to produce quality material that deserved to be remembered by anyone outside the die hard fan base.
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

No Van Halen was!
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

The original band with Peter, Ace, Gene, and Paul is for sure. Paul and Gene ruined it when they started just replacing members willy nilly if the band broke up when Peter left in 1980 KISS would be considered one of the true great band of all time. That's my opinion.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Nellcote71 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pmKiss with the original members in the 70’s was potentially comparable to bands like Aerosmith or ZZ Top - but the G&P+ sidemen versions of Kiss were no where’s near those bands.
Except Aerosmith's first six albums, and those of AC/DC, Rush, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult and Van Halen are all more consistent from front to back, and more highly regarded, than anything KISS recorded with the original members that you and so many others insist on fawning over.

Even at the peak of their popularity, KISS were more concerned with churning out new product to keep the show on the road than putting in the time and effort to produce quality material that deserved to be remembered by anyone outside the die hard fan base.
Exactly. KISS weren't even remotely the greatest band of all time even if you just talk about the 70's.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

KLP68 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:07 pm KISS is definitely up there with the greatest.
For sure.
Ack Attack
Banned

Post by Ack Attack »

NO!!!!!!!!!
curryleaf

Post by curryleaf »

Kiss is my favourite rock band of all time, but they are not the greatest rock band of all time.

The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who or Led Zeppelin would take that title.
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

steve wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Everyone back in the day were churning out product & staying on the road. it was typical of the era and how you built your fan base up. Duh...

Kiss, HTH, DTK, Alive!, Love Gun, Ace 78 are all stone cold classics. Kiss rocked just as hard as those you mentioned.
I love Aerosmith. But I could argue Kiss & HTH buried Aerosmith’s first two albums. (Aerosmith recorded just two classics with Toys & Rocks) Kiss’ output in the 70’s was fantastic.

You’re an anomaly that prefers Kiss lite. Which is your entitled opinion, but it’s not the norm...