Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen

Vinnie Vincent
11%
Eddie Van Halen
89%

Total votes: 318

Legsofsteel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen

Post by Legsofsteel »

I like Vinnie, but this is no contest.
joma5477
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by joma5477 »

What's the question? If it's which do you prefer, I'd vote Vinnie...because he had a large hand in a couple albums I think are fantastic, a small hand in another, and those albums I find better than any VH album, granted, coming from one that's luke warm at best about VH. But if the question is who has been more influential, successful, or was the better guitarist...then I don't think there's much question. Vinnie, obviously...

:wink:

Sorry, just wanted to see if any more heads would explode...
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

Potato Salad wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 am There would be no Vinnie without Eddie.
While I understand why you would say something like this, it's not true Vinnie was playing professionally way before anyone ever heard of Eddie Van Halen. Vinnie's career in no way started in the 1980s with KISS He has played professionally since the early 1970s.
Last edited by GACatmandu on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Not even a contest.

EVH by a landslide.
BlairC42
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BlairC42 »

EVH can play around VV in every which way possible! No contest!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 pm Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen
Is this a joke poll?
Ace of Bass
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Ace of Bass »

I’ve seen Eddie play just as much in the six weeks since he died as I have seen Vinnie play In six years.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

I would choose Eddie, but it is a good poll on a Kiss board.
Potato Salad
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Potato Salad »

GACatmandu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:04 am
Potato Salad wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 am There would be no Vinnie without Eddie.
While I understand why you would say something like this, it's not true Vinnie was playing professionally way before anyone ever heard of Eddie Van Halen. Vinnie's career in no way started in the 1980s with KISS He has played professionally since the early 1970s.
Yes, but his style was completely different then.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

And no one gave a fuck about him then.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Potato Salad wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:15 pm
Yes, but his style was completely different then.
Exactly. He wasn't a "shred" guy until after Eddie and it was his being a shred guy that got him into KISS, because it was the '80s and they thought they needed that...because of Eddie and the way he completely changed the guitar landscape.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

I think a few of Vinnie’s Angels may have logged in to cast their votes.
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

Wichita77 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 am
TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:39 am
Plus, I don't think Eddie was a good person. How they stabbed Michael Anthony in the back like that. He was always crying and whining to his manager.
You're the expert here Sphinx, but I seem to have read interviews in the past that suggested VV wasn't well regarded among some of his bandmates since KISS. In fact I don't recall ever hearing that he was a joy to work with from anyone.

To the question about being better for KISS, that's impossible to say, as we don't know what kind of creative energy would have been sparked between GaP and EVH. Who knows what Eddie would have done with their ideas and how awesome those songs could have been?

Well instead of VINIMALIZED we all imagined how great that could have been......

I'm just thinking Eddie would have gotten Gene and Paul to be a keyboard heavy band instead.

Reminds me of KISS doing the INTRO of Jump in 1988 or so.... and then Paul trashing it.

Look at Van Halen....3 strong albums.

Then Fair Warning ....which wasn't near as good. Then a crap covers album basically. Then big time keyboards.
Red_Walrus
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Red_Walrus »

EVH
mbrunn
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mbrunn »

I love VV’s song writing but I have to think this poll was made to simply get the reactions that everyone is having. This is silly.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Er, maybe VV is a better singer? But other than that it's Eddie, hands down, and I LOVE VV's music and guitar playing.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:32 pm
Plus, I don't think Eddie was a good person. How they stabbed Michael Anthony in the back like that. He was always crying and whining to his manager.
You're the expert here Sphinx, but I seem to have read interviews in the past that suggested VV wasn't well regarded among some of his bandmates since KISS. In fact I don't recall ever hearing that he was a joy to work with from anyone.

To the question about being better for KISS, that's impossible to say, as we don't know what kind of creative energy would have been sparked between GaP and EVH. Who knows what Eddie would have done with their ideas and how awesome those songs could have been?

Well instead of VINIMALIZED we all imagined how great that could have been......

I'm just thinking Eddie would have gotten Gene and Paul to be a keyboard heavy band instead.

Reminds me of KISS doing the INTRO of Jump in 1988 or so.... and then Paul trashing it.

Then Fair Warning ....which wasn't near as good. Then a crap covers album basically. Then big time keyboards.

ps. 1984 may have keyboards but it also has incredible guitar. VV could never play something like the Drop Dead Legs solo. Not on his best day!
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

I have done my fair share of Vinnie praising when it comes to Creatures and LIU, in addition to the fact that I think KISS should have kept writing with him at the very least all through the 80's to today. However in the big picture, Vinnie is NOTHING compared to Eddie and this is a completely ridiculous poll.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 am Anybody that chooses VV should be required to explain their rationale.
Just boat them off to Vinnilligan's Island. 🏝️ And let them eat coconut!🥥

:)
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:49 pm

ps. 1984 may have keyboards but it also has incredible guitar. VV could never play something like the Drop Dead Legs solo. Not on his best day!

DDL is PURE FILLER. Ok its got a decent solo in there.... but the SONG SUCKS
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:39 am Are you talking about who would have been better in KISS or what?

As Sammy points out... Eddie can't write songs on his own.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-h ... ite-songs/

If Vinnie and Eddie were both relative unknowns at the time of Creatures.... Vinnie easily be the better choice to join the band.

Eddie was an alcoholic and KISS certainly didn't need that.

The stuff that KISS could have done if Gene and Paul had put their egos aside.....KISS 2.0 could have really made their mark.

And when one really thinks about how great CREATURES could have been if they had used at least 6 of the songs Vinnie had written for it.

Imagine if BACK ON THE STREETS (with Vinnie on lead) had been used

Vinni'e Betrayed

And the demo version of NOT FOR THE INNOCENT with Gene and Paul trading vocals.

I'd call the ALBUM NOT FOR THE INNOCENT

Song On It

Not For The Innocent
Killer
I Love It Loud
Back on The Streets
I Still Love You
Betrayed
Creatures Of The NIght
War Machine
Saint and SInner
Rock And Roll Hell

And of course Gene and Paul tried to downplay Vinnie being a "guitar god". Who knows how big of a campaign GROVER JACKSON would have had if G/P let Vinnie have the VV model guitar for him etc. Once again... thanks to Pauls ego....

Eddie Van Halen never would have worked in KISS. Vinnie was the perfect fit.....but Paul's ego ruined it.
As usual,you're trying to change the subject.

We are NOT talking about what kind of person EVH was....were are NOT talking about who would be better in Kiss. We are NOT talking about how Vinnie was or wasn't treated in the band.

Vinnie was NEVER a "guitar god". Not even close. He will never be thought of in that vein with the legends. Only in your mind.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

Well, their "big time keyboards" song Jump was a #1 song, and with Panama, Hot for Teacher and I'll Wait on the 1984 album all in the top 20. That kind of success is something KISS with (or without) VV never came close to. Add that to the first three strong albums and you've got a pretty good indicator of the mark EVH left on music.

In all fairness VH was MTVs darling, whereas KISS wasn't but the music speaks for itself on classic radio rotations every day.

No disrespect intended. I know you are a VV superfan. He wrote some great songs for sure, but I would have liked to have seen what kind of album VANIMALIZED would have been.
Last edited by Wichita77 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Panama. Unchained is on Fair Warning.
mamado

Post by mamado »

Next poll: "Ace Frehley vs. Stevie Ray Vaughan". :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :flower:
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:04 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:49 pm

DDL is PURE FILLER. Ok its got a decent solo in there.... but the SONG SUCKS
Drop Dead Legs actually rules, but everybody has different taste so...whatever.

The point is that 1984 is really not the 'keyboard album' you're making it out to be.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

It's not a silly poll. I'm not comparing their legacies. You could argue that Vinnie could outplay Eddie.
Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:51 pm It's not a silly poll. I'm not comparing their legacies. You could argue that Vinnie could outplay Eddie.
In bizzaro world
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

LoveGun77 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 pm
TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:39 am Are you talking about who would have been better in KISS or what?

As Sammy points out... Eddie can't write songs on his own.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-h ... ite-songs/

If Vinnie and Eddie were both relative unknowns at the time of Creatures.... Vinnie easily be the better choice to join the band.

Eddie was an alcoholic and KISS certainly didn't need that.

The stuff that KISS could have done if Gene and Paul had put their egos aside.....KISS 2.0 could have really made their mark.

And when one really thinks about how great CREATURES could have been if they had used at least 6 of the songs Vinnie had written for it.

Imagine if BACK ON THE STREETS (with Vinnie on lead) had been used

Vinni'e Betrayed

And the demo version of NOT FOR THE INNOCENT with Gene and Paul trading vocals.

I'd call the ALBUM NOT FOR THE INNOCENT

Song On It

Not For The Innocent
Killer
I Love It Loud
Back on The Streets
I Still Love You
Betrayed
Creatures Of The NIght
War Machine
Saint and SInner
Rock And Roll Hell

And of course Gene and Paul tried to downplay Vinnie being a "guitar god". Who knows how big of a campaign GROVER JACKSON would have had if G/P let Vinnie have the VV model guitar for him etc. Once again... thanks to Pauls ego....

Eddie Van Halen never would have worked in KISS. Vinnie was the perfect fit.....but Paul's ego ruined it.
As usual,you're trying to change the subject.

We are NOT talking about what kind of person EVH was....were are NOT talking about who would be better in Kiss. We are NOT talking about how Vinnie was or wasn't treated in the band.

Vinnie was NEVER a "guitar god". Not even close. He will never be thought of in that vein with the legends. Only in your mind.

How so? All it said was EDDIE VS VINNIE. One can take that any way they want.

And since this is a KISS BOARD and Gene has "claimed" numerous times Eddie wanted to join KISS when they ending up selecting Vinnie... the MOST LOGICAL THING to do is compare who would FIT BETTER IN KISS!!!

And yes, Vinnie was and still is a "guitar god".
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:51 pm It's not a silly poll. I'm not comparing their legacies. You could argue that Vinnie could outplay Eddie.
You could argue that if you had no taste, and/or were badly in need of an ear transplant.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

Dumbest poll EVER. You have got to be kidding. EVH and it goes without saying.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 pm
You could argue that if you had no taste, and/or were badly in need of an ear transplant.
You are arguing better solos. Sammy said that Joe Satriani was better than Eddie.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Look at it this way:

Put Vinnie Vincent in Van Halen, and the band becomes a total joke.
Put Eddie Van Halen in KISS, and he raises the bar to unimageable levels.

THAT is the difference between EVH and VV.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 pm
You are arguing better solos. Sammy said that Joe Satriani was better than Eddie.
Are you trolling or what? Seriously, you are doing a whole lot of goalpost shifting here and it's starting to look like trolling.

If you believe VV outplayed EVH then make your argument, post your links...whatever. Or don't. But stop trying to change the subject.

Also, Sammy is a confirmed idiot so that's neither here nor there anyway.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Hook is too shiny, not taking the bait 😁
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Sure if you want tell the world that you are a fucking idiot.
acevog75

Post by acevog75 »

Uh, no....
acevog75

Post by acevog75 »

A great deal of people, including me, would consider Fair Warning to be their best. All subjective of course. Big time Keyboards? 2 songs on 1984(3 if you wanna include the intro to the album, which really isn't a song), 3 songs on 5150, and 3 songs on 0U812. There really weren't that many songs that had keyboards to be honest. People act like they turned into A Flock Of Seagulls or something.
SpaceaceRyan
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by SpaceaceRyan »

EVH
AliveIIside4
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AliveIIside4 »

Who is Vinnie Vincent?
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm
Are you trolling or what? Seriously, you are doing a whole lot of goalpost shifting here and it's starting to look like trolling.

If you believe VV outplayed EVH then make your argument, post your links...whatever. Or don't. But stop trying to change the subject.

Sammy is a confirmed idiot? :roll: You don't know anything about guitar. Vinnie was a lot more of a shredder than Eddie.
Last edited by Lofton23rdSt on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm
He played a lot faster than Eddie. It doesn't mean he was better.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm
He played a lot faster than Eddie. It doesn't mean he was better.
No matter which way you want to say it, Vinnie couldn't outdo anything over Eddie.

I hope you are indeed trolling or just having some fun here, because otherwise you are just showing people that are clueless.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:59 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Sammy is a confirmed idiot? :roll: You don't know anything about guitar. Vinnie was a lot more of a shredder than Eddie.
Yes. Slappy Hagar is a clown.

And Edward Van Halen was never a shredder at all. He was a great musician and composer. Shredding is stupid and irrelevant.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:05 pm

And Edward Van Halen was never a shredder at all. He was a great musician and composer. Shredding is stupid and irrelevant.
EVH influenced it. That's what I meant by outplaying. Yeah Hagar is a clown, when VH sold millions of albums with him.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm

No matter which way you want to say it, Vinnie couldn't outdo anything over Eddie.

I hope you are indeed trolling or just having some fun here, because otherwise you are just showing people that are clueless.
Vinnie did play faster.
doombies
Banned

Post by doombies »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Vinnie did play faster.
yeah. faster to the point where it’s way too sloppy and not melodic. faster is not always better
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

EVH influenced it. That's what I meant by outplaying. Yeah Hagar is a clown, when VH sold millions of albums with him.
Still irrelevant. You said yourself faster isn't better.

And yes, Hagar is a clown and I'd bet he doesn't even believe that. He was just shitting on Eddie because he had a record to sell.
Vatreni
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Vatreni »

Dude.... just stop.
Fair Warning is the #1 album for a lot of VH fans. It also contains what is regarded as his best solo, in "Push Comes To Shove". And possibly one of their top 3 fan favourites in "Unchained". Listen to Haer About it Later, Sinners Swing!!! and So This Is Love? it's a masterpiece!
Diver Down, while having a lot of covers on there, is also kick arse. In fact, the first 6 VH are perfect from start to finish. Each individual in their own way. Hang 'em High on DD is better than anything that VV ever played. I know you're a VV nutswinger and I, along with a majority of the board, love his work with Kiss.... but c'mon man.

You talk about Ed treating MA like crap. Which he did. We're not talking personalities here. If we were, we all know which Sybil would win that contest. EVH never stole from fans either.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

doombies wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:12 pm

yeah. faster to the point where it’s way too sloppy and not melodic. faster is not always better
You have a MSJ avatar. He was a shredder.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

In the Suds wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 pm
Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Still irrelevant. You said yourself faster isn't better.

And yes, Hagar is a clown and I'd bet he doesn't even believe that. He was just shitting on Eddie because he had a record to sell.
What Sammy actually said is that Joe is more fluent and versatile than Ed and maybe from HIS perspective playing with him, he is right in terms of Joe trying things more out of the box than Eddie did in Van Halen.

But yes, he did have a new band and album to sell and he also thinks Vic Johnson is a brilliant guitarist.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-h ... van-halen/
Last edited by Grand Classic on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.