Conversations with Phantoms Book Orders announced

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Conversations with Phantoms Book Orders announced

Post by Admin »

Conversations with Phantoms: Exclusive Interviews About the 1978 TV Movie, Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park

https://bit.ly/3itcf5j

(release date is Oct. 28, 2020!)

All Wrongs Will Be Righted With This Book!

Or maybe, some people will still not like its subject matter! In the late 1970s, the makeup and costumes wearing rock group Kiss conquered American album charts and stormed the nation’s arenas, putting on hundreds of their explosive concerts for their fans, the “Kiss Army.” True rock ’n’ roll superheroes, they also began making inroads in merchandising, such as having their own comic book. The next step was to do some kind of film. Since its first airing in October of 1978, the resulting NBC TV movie Kiss Meets The Phantom of The Park has been overwhelmingly perceived as a hokey misstep in the band’s history. While lamenting what it is not, detractors have forgotten what it is: fun, super ’70s, and vintage Kiss.

Conversations With Phantoms is author and lifelong Kiss fan Ron Albanese’s deep dive behind the scenes of Kiss Meets The Phantom of The Park. Thirteen never-before-published interviews plus “Phantom Findings” comprise an informative and entertaining read, not only for the band’s followers, but for anyone into 1970s pop culture.

About the Author
Ron Albanese first heard of Kiss in 1976, when a fellow first grader sang “I Want You” to him. He would hear them directly for the first time in the summer of 1977, when his mother included the band’s Rock and Roll Over album in one of those “choose 10 8-tracks for a penny” deals. He would request she play it whenever they were driving around in her Cadillac.

Like so many Kiss fans, his eyes were glued to the TV at 8 p.m. on October 28, 1978, to watch their TV movie Kiss Meets The Phantom of The Park. Turning up the 19-inch Magnavox console as loud as it would go, Ron was mesmerized. At its conclusion, he spontaneously made a giant Kiss logo with his hands in his family’s recreation room shag carpet, and went to bed a now-permanent member of the Kiss Army.

Years later, after becoming a professional writer, and wanting to create a book related to “the hottest band in the world,” Kiss Meets … immediately came to mind. Ron did research, conducted interviews, and then took an extended break as other things in his life started happening, such as starting a family and a children’s entertainment business. Years later, he came across the interview tapes, and decided to put them “out there” --- the result is in your hands!

Amazon

Paperback
https://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Ph ... 1629336009

Item Weight : 7.4 ounces
Paperback : 150 pages
ISBN-10 : 1629336009
ISBN-13 : 978-1629336008
Product Dimensions : 5.98 x 0.32 x 9.02 inches
Publisher : BearManor Media; Illustrated Edition (October 28, 2020)
Language: : English

Hardcover
https://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Ph ... 1629336017

Item Weight : 13.1 ounces
Hardcover : 150 pages
ISBN-10 : 1629336017
ISBN-13 : 978-1629336015
Product Dimensions : 5.98 x 0.38 x 9.02 inches
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Re: Conversations with Phantoms Book Orders announced

Post by Admin »

#Ordered!
Elderguy
Banned

Post by Elderguy »

Is Radley’s Phantom book still coming out?
Uzi_of_Ooze
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

Awesome! Think it's paperback for me.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Elderguy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:01 pm Is Radley’s Phantom book still coming out?
You'd have to ask said person elsewhere since this thread is neither about him, but about a completely unrelated project/author.
Den Dennis

Post by Den Dennis »

One international shipping option :|
DHL Express Worldwide
3 to 5 business days $56.45
WhoDaresWins
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by WhoDaresWins »

Anymore info, is this self-published?, Specifics about the book? # of pages? chapters, sample pages?

The price of the book is affordable but combined with shipping it's pricey and i would like more info.
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

Awesome! Ordered!
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

WhoDaresWins wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm Anymore info, is this self-published?, Specifics about the book? # of pages? chapters, sample pages?

The price of the book is affordable but combined with shipping it's pricey and i would like more info.
Author has a pretty good Facebook page.
I don’t have the exact stats in front of me, but I am pretty sure there are at least 150 pages; the format is 6x9, and no photos! This book is designed to highlight a series of “lost” interviews I had done almost 20 years ago about Kiss Meets ... I also wrote some stuff about the move, such as inconsistencies, bloopers, etc. - the fun stuff!
I would say the interviews further paint the picture of where Kiss was at, circa 1978, which as you know was an amazing time in the band’s history!

https://www.facebook.com/Conversations- ... 0495710450
BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

Ordered hardback copy.

Thanks.
strutter78

Post by strutter78 »

Ordered it. The movie was a big deal to some of us back in 78’. I’d love to know more about the filming. I think it’s the best the band ever looked.
Doose
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Doose »

Uzi_of_Ooze wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:05 pm
WhoDaresWins wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm Anymore info, is this self-published?, Specifics about the book? # of pages? chapters, sample pages?

Author has a pretty good Facebook page.
I don’t have the exact stats in front of me, but I am pretty sure there are at least 150 pages; the format is 6x9, and no photos! This book is designed to highlight a series of “lost” interviews I had done almost 20 years ago about Kiss Meets ... I also wrote some stuff about the move, such as inconsistencies, bloopers, etc. - the fun stuff!
I would say the interviews further paint the picture of where Kiss was at, circa 1978, which as you know was an amazing time in the band’s history!

https://www.facebook.com/Conversations- ... 0495710450
If it's mostly interviews, I'm out. The point of a book is to tell a story - take the interviews and turn it into a cohesive book. Just posting a bunch of interviews....Zzzzzzzz.
I_Gotta_Getaway
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by I_Gotta_Getaway »

Den Dennis wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:17 pm One international shipping option :|
DHL Express Worldwide
Got the same thing. Shipping costs more than the book. My experience is that DHL will also levy additional customs and brokerage fees at the time of delivery - fees that regular post office do not charge for small items such as books.

I did not complete my order.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

I_Gotta_Getaway wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:47 pm
DHL Express Worldwide
Got the same thing. Shipping costs more than the book. My experience is that DHL will also levy additional customs and brokerage fees at the time of delivery - fees that regular post office do not charge for small items such as books.

I did not complete my order.
International postage is absolutely brutal in recent times. I opt out usually too. Im not going to pay postage costs at 2 or 3 x the actual item. It never used to be that way!
I only recently got 1 or 2 of Julian's books, because they are now printed in Australia; and yes it costs a bit more than in the US. But nothing like 3x the item price inclusive of postage!
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

DHL Express Worldwide
Yep...unfortunately that put me off.
douloveme
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by douloveme »

They seriously need a cheaper international shipping option....
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

How many pages is the book? Are there photos? Is it all just interviews?
I recall hearing rumblings of this way back when during Asylum board days (IIRC) - nice to see it finally seeing the light of day.

Not to be negative - but to me it’s not a good sign when so little thought/money goes into the cover design. Not to say it’s not an interesting book - but it’s not the kind of thing I’m automatically buying either. I need to see more...
martial
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by martial »

47 USD DHL for a 22 USD book, forget it...
Finally ordered at Amazon France 20 euros free shipping 👍
Last edited by martial on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Postage too Australia is horific. Forget it.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Nellcote71 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:48 am How many pages is the book? Are there photos? Is it all just interviews?
I recall hearing rumblings of this way back when during Asylum board days (IIRC) - nice to see it finally seeing the light of day.

Not to be negative - but to me it’s not a good sign when so little thought/money goes into the cover design. Not to say it’s not an interesting book - but it’s not the kind of thing I’m automatically buying either. I need to see more...
Yes, I agree it's weird the cover is so amateurish. He could have gone on Fiver and gotten a much better cover for $25.
GermanKissFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GermanKissFan »

Try your local amazon. It's available on the German one with free shipping within Germany.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Amazon

Paperback

Hardcover

KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

Waiting for Amazon Canada to offer it.
Australia1980
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Australia1980 »

The most anticipated KISS book of all time? Been waiting over 20 years for this one. Didn't think it would ever come out, so glad to see that it's almost here. 8)

THANKS, Ron!
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Postage costs make it an unfortunate no : (
Mr.Antonio2005
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Mr.Antonio2005 »

Went to order and shipping is 44.00 to Canada.
I will wait and hope we get it available through Amazon Canada.
Like Ron he seems like a great guy from the interviews I heard him and glad the book is available.
Ace's Silver Suit

Post by Ace's Silver Suit »

Hey, Everyone!

It's me, Ron ... I am so happy to finally have my Phantom material put together, and getting released ... I figured to say hello, add to the convo about the book ... and maybe, sell some (ha ha).

Regarding it being mostly interviews, here's the deal: in 2001, I decided to write a book about Kiss Meets ... - in those early Internet days, it was tough going, finding people, etc. but I eventually made contact with some "Phantom Folk," and spoke with them ... and then, I stopped working on the thing. I had kids, started a business.

Someone mentioned that if the book is all interviews, it would not be worth it to them, and as a writer, I agree - to an extent. I think some authors use the interview format excessively, often to cover up a lack of ability to put together a story, etc. I CAN WRITE, man! No, seriously, in this book's case, when I came across the interview cassettes, I listened to see if I truly had anything worth getting out there, as is. I decided I did; I wanted my conversations to appear pretty much as they were. I listened to some interviews over five times, to properly capture what was being said, and how.

In addition to my rock writing, where I have interviewed dozens of personalities, editing, and some photography, I have also been a hard news reporter - I cut my investigate teeth that way. I wanted this book to be as pure as possible, presenting lost transcripts from nearly 20 years ago, when memories were better. Sadly, some of my interviewees are no longer with us, and I am grateful to have had the chance to speak with them.

The main goal here was to just get the interviews out. Then,I then went and wrote some features/essays about movie related stuff - I could resist. It's all in good fun, and is written to also entertain as well as inform. If you know Bill Bryson, it's kind of like that here and there. These sections are also reminiscent of my Kiss Thought Vault series from the '90s, if anyone recalls those!
Ace's Silver Suit

Doose wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:02 am
Nellcote71 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:48 am How many pages is the book? Are there photos? Is it all just interviews?

Yes, I agree it's weird the cover is so amateurish. He could have gone on Fiver and gotten a much better cover for $25.

FIVERR! I use that site for some photo retouching (ha ha)!

Here's some behind the scenes info: I had about five designs in mind for the cover, all with artistic, grandiose ideas, tied into the movie - "it could be a poster, too!" A friend of mine actually whipped a couple of things up. I also almost licensed a couple of photos, too.

Then, I realized that I wanted to do something that reflected the whole idea of mainly just wanting to get the interviews out there. I played around with the cassettes in a pile, and shot them a few different ways. I like the result; it's pure to me ... kind of a punk rock, DIY thing. It's cool.

Then again, I love the Out of Control cover.
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

Admin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 am Amazon

Paperback

Hardcover

Thank you...
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

I’m passing on this - unless it gets incredible feedback.
I was much more excited just for the Phantom insert in the Magic Deluxe
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Admin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 am Amazon

Paperback

Hardcover

Thanks for heads up
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Now on UK and Australian amazon!!! Praise be!!

Conversations with Phantoms: Exclusive Interviews About the 1978 TV Movie, Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/1629336009 ... yFbRB9528N
Doose

Post by Doose »

Ace's Silver Suit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm
Doose wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:02 am

FIVERR! I use that site for some photo retouching (ha ha)!

Here's some behind the scenes info: I had about five designs in mind for the cover, all with artistic, grandiose ideas, tied into the movie - "it could be a poster, too!" A friend of mine actually whipped a couple of things up. I also almost licensed a couple of photos, too.

Then, I realized that I wanted to do something that reflected the whole idea of mainly just wanting to get the interviews out there. I played around with the cassettes in a pile, and shot them a few different ways. I like the result; it's pure to me ... kind of a punk rock, DIY thing. It's cool.

Then again, I love the Out of Control cover.
If you say you love the All For One cover, then I may have to call for professional help.

If the Phantom book has killer content, the cover will kind of be irrelevant anyway. It's true - don't judge a book by its cover. (Although that's always easier said than done)
spongeworthy
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by spongeworthy »

Mr.Antonio2005 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:14 pm Went to order and shipping is 44.00 to Canada.
I will wait and hope we get it available through Amazon Canada.
Like Ron he seems like a great guy from the interviews I heard him and glad the book is available.
The Authors link to the book shows Bear Media has a shipping rate of $61.10 to Canada! Amazon seems like a bargain.
StrangestWay
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StrangestWay »

Pre-Ordered! Kiss book #31 for me. Bet it will get here before my Magic pre-order. ;)
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

Ace's Silver Suit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:01 pm Hey, Everyone!

It's me, Ron ... I am so happy to finally have my Phantom material put together, and getting released ... I figured to say hello, add to the convo about the book ... and maybe, sell some (ha ha).

Regarding it being mostly interviews, here's the deal: in 2001, I decided to write a book about Kiss Meets ... - in those early Internet days, it was tough going, finding people, etc. but I eventually made contact with some "Phantom Folk," and spoke with them ... and then, I stopped working on the thing. I had kids, started a business.

Someone mentioned that if the book is all interviews, it would not be worth it to them, and as a writer, I agree - to an extent. I think some authors use the interview format excessively, often to cover up a lack of ability to put together a story, etc. I CAN WRITE, man! No, seriously, in this book's case, when I came across the interview cassettes, I listened to see if I truly had anything worth getting out there, as is. I decided I did; I wanted my conversations to appear pretty much as they were. I listened to some interviews over five times, to properly capture what was being said, and how.

In addition to my rock writing, where I have interviewed dozens of personalities, editing, and some photography, I have also been a hard news reporter - I cut my investigate teeth that way. I wanted this book to be as pure as possible, presenting lost transcripts from nearly 20 years ago, when memories were better. Sadly, some of my interviewees are no longer with us, and I am grateful to have had the chance to speak with them.

The main goal here was to just get the interviews out. Then,I then went and wrote some features/essays about movie related stuff - I could resist. It's all in good fun, and is written to also entertain as well as inform. If you know Bill Bryson, it's kind of like that here and there. These sections are also reminiscent of my Kiss Thought Vault series from the '90s, if anyone recalls those!
Ron - I loved your thought vault series - just great stuff there. You definitely have a knack for writing & keeping the readers interest. I vividly recall enjoying the hell outta those write ups you did (amazing it was almost 20 years ago). Thanks for the additional info on the book - I’ll reconsider this purchase just based on how much I enjoyed your thought vault entries...
Arrogant
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Arrogant »

Unfortunate that there isn't a Kindle version available.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Ace's Silver Suit wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:01 pm Hey, Everyone!

THAT is how you sell a book.

I just ordered it. I love your candor and honesty, and that made me want to buy it.

Now about that cover... lol
Den Dennis

Post by Den Dennis »

Listed on Bookdepository now.
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

drgbootz wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:41 pm Now on UK and Australian amazon!!! Praise be!!

Conversations with Phantoms: Exclusive Interviews About the 1978 TV Movie, Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/1629336009 ... yFbRB9528N
Thanks. Pre-ordered Australian Amazon
Mr.Antonio2005
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Mr.Antonio2005 »

Den Dennis wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 pm Listed on Bookdepository now.
Thank you for that information and site.I was searching for orders to Canada and this site actually will ship and for free!

Got the hardcover and so this is great.Looking forward to getting my copy.
Den Dennis

Post by Den Dennis »

Mr.Antonio2005 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:57 pm
Den Dennis wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 pm Listed on Bookdepository now.
Thank you for that information and site.I was searching for orders to Canada and this site actually will ship and for free!

Got the hardcover and so this is great.Looking forward to getting my copy.
:thumleft:
I order quite a bit from them. Can often get titles there much cheaper, shipping included. Think they're owned by Amazon
Juern
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Juern »

DHL Express Worldwide
Where are you from? I checked amazon.de and it's available there (pre-order) for a very affordable prize. Maybe you want to check out amazon in your country?
Den Dennis

Post by Den Dennis »

All sorted, got it from Book Depository for around US$20.30 shipped (paperback).
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Thanks Ron. Already pre-ordered my copy.....been waiting for years to finally read it.
douloveme
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by douloveme »

Really looking forward to this, have placed my order
spacegirlshandi
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by spacegirlshandi »

I have heard some very great inside info about this ... already pre-ordered my copy! As someone who wasn't born in the 70s, I'm really looking forward to reading this and adding it to my collection. Beyond excited.
I_Gotta_Getaway
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by I_Gotta_Getaway »

Amazon.ca is now selling for a reasonable price, incl. shipping. My hardcover order is in! Looking forward to reading.
Ace's Silver Suit

Hey, Everyone -

Thanks for the posts of confidence over my book!

Ya know, one of the cool things I always thought about was getting to post HERE about it - go ahead and laugh, but this board rules, and I am a big fan of all of Julian's Kiss endeavors!

A small announcement: by now, many of you might have seen/heard that if you have pre-ordered the book through Bear Manor Media, you are actually receiving it a few days later ... yes, that is the case!

After it happened by mistake - we were gearing up for an official 10/28 release - the book is being shipped from the publisher's site ASAP after orders are received.

At first, I felt like Abner after getting fired, but decided to roll with it, and keep it going - it somehow makes sense, given the history of this project!

Ron
Rabant777
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Rabant777 »

Thank goodness that there's an Amazon option - not that I really like to use them but I looked at getting it from the publisher yesterday and I just couldn't justify $47 postage on a $22 book.
Looking forward to it. I know it will be a quality read, albeit disappointed that it's not the product it was originally planned to be all those years ago.