Am I missing something with all these Ace covers?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Am I missing something with all these Ace covers?

Post by Mr Slow »

After checking out Space Truckin’ quite a few times I must say I feel a bit underwhelmed at most of the covers Ace has done this century. In fact, the last really good one in my mind was Do Ya back in 1989. White Room was decent but not a scratch on the outstanding original. Ace used to make great choices for covers; New York Groove, 2,000 Man, Into The Night, Dancin’ With Danger, he often took an obscure song and made it his own. But on the first ORIGINS album and now this new track, I think he’s lost his touch.

Why I say I must be missing something is that both here and all over social media people are singing the praises of this new one and in the past many have raved about how good ORIGINS 1 was. I have tried to give it all a go but I usually just find myself wanting to hear the original version. I honestly don’t get it. Deep Purple’s Space Truckin’ is an absolute masterpiece. I think Ace’s version is mediocre at best.

I don’t like being overly negative so I hope this doesn’t get misconstrued. I have always welcomed new music from every KISS member past & present (although Paul’s Soul Station doesn’t really have me too excited) but I just feel like Ace has lost his Midas touch when it comes to picking songs to cover. Maybe it’s the quality of song he’s attempting that is the issue. Legends like like Cream, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple & Hendrix are hard acts to follow.
Nellcote71
Banned

Re: Am I missing something with all these Ace covers?

Post by Nellcote71 »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:48 am After checking out Space Truckin’ quite a few times I must say I feel a bit underwhelmed at most of the covers Ace has done this century. In fact, the last really good one in my mind was Do Ya back in 1989. White Room was decent but not a scratch on the outstanding original. Ace used to make great choices for covers; New York Groove, 2,000 Man, Into The Night, Dancin’ With Danger, he often took an obscure song and made it his own. But on the first ORIGINS album and now this new track, I think he’s lost his touch.

Why I say I must be missing something is that both here and all over social media people are singing the praises of this new one and in the past many have raved about how good ORIGINS 1 was. I have tried to give it all a go but I usually just find myself wanting to hear the original version. I honestly don’t get it. Deep Purple’s Space Truckin’ is an absolute masterpiece. I think Ace’s version is mediocre at best.

I don’t like being overly negative so I hope this doesn’t get misconstrued. I have always welcomed new music from every KISS member past & present (although Paul’s Soul Station doesn’t really have me too excited) but I just feel like Ace has lost his Midas touch when it comes to picking songs to cover. Maybe it’s the quality of song he’s attempting that is the issue. Legends like like Cream, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple & Hendrix are hard acts to follow.
Why can’t you write some paragraphs on Paul’s cover albums?

That being said I wasn’t a huge fan of the first origins. There was some worthwhile stuff though. The Joker sucked. But Fox on the Run was KILLER to my ears, as was Do Ya...

I haven’t heard Space Truman’ yet so I can’t comment

But I thought it was a wise decision by eOne to include 2 cover albums into his contract. They are relatively easy releases for Ace and give home some more time/inspiration to put out original material as well.

Ace is kicking effing ass this past decade
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Nellcote71 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 am Why can’t you write some paragraphs on Paul’s cover albums?
I thought we were talking about Ace? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Kloetenburger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kloetenburger »

I agree completely with everything you said. I even go thus far and say that Ace hasn’t recorded anything worth listening since Trouble Walking.

All these Ace albums since TW are lacking a real producer and competent engineer. They sound cheap and rushed, his solos are forgettable most of the time and the songwriting in general just isn’t there. As for the covers, Ace isn’t in the same league as Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream, the Stones, Deep Purple etc. He’s trying hard but it never works. Ace lost the ability to make a song his own. He also lost most of his chops.
markaberrant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by markaberrant »

Boring lazy covers without a real producer/engineer. Kiss dorks that peaked in 1977 are loving it.
Lofton23rdSt
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

I like Spanish Castle Magic and I wanna go back.
Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

There's a big difference between including 1 kickass cover tune on an originals album versus trying to release a full album of covers that are all similarly amazing.

I'll agree that Origins wasn't a patch on NY Groove or 2000 Man but I don't think anyone expected Origins or Origins 2 to be.

Just relax and look at them for what they are, just Ace and some of his fellow musos having fun cranking out some old classics.
jestor92
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by jestor92 »

I liked Spanish Castle Magic and Bring It On Home off O1 (thought Rock and Roll Hell, Emerald, and Fire and Water were pretty good off O1). Fox On The Run imo is the best cover he’s done on his current run. I Wanna Go Back was solid as well.

Unfortunately he’s been very hit and miss with the covers.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

The op is spot-on with this post. I haven't cared for any of aces covers since do ya. Well no I take that back I actually like Fox on the run quite a bit. But that is where it ended for me. I really despise this space truckin. I have zero desire to ever hear it again. It actually gave me anxiety whileI was listening to it because I was so displeased. I root for Ace hard he's my favorite member of the band but he's just been coming up short lately however I'm still glad to have him releasing new CDs. I know it might not sound like that but it's been hard being a fan of Ace in the last 5 years. It's been a lot of questionable things.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

Since the OP brought attention to it though... It means nothing to me if the members are good people. In fact I think the more complicated they are the more interesting they are. Hence why I could never get on the Tommy train. And Bruce well I loved his guitar playing was boring as AF.
THUNDER GHOST
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by THUNDER GHOST »

I kind of got the impression the musicians surrounding Ace were the ones who did all the heavy lifting and more or less got everything ready for Ace to just come in and dust off a quick vocal and quick solo and ship it..

Even the original material albums I always presumed an outside influence was making it happen.. hence why they were getting done in a reasonable time table.

It's all kind of mediocre to me but it's Ace and at least he's getting product out there.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Cover albums are tricky for sure.
In Ace's defense, he has done a few good covers, such as New York Groove and Fox On The Run.
doombies
Banned

Post by doombies »

Cover albums are LAZY
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

doombies wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:22 am Cover albums are LAZY
Yep.

Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

In all fairness, it's much easier to come up with an interesting spin when you're doing one or two covers per album; especially when you're the one choosing to do the covers (more or less). However, when you're mandated to come up with two albums worth of cover tunes under a certain deadline, it becomes much more difficult.
d4nugster
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by d4nugster »

The doctor wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 am
Yep.

totally off topic but i just finished umbrella academy s02. one fight scene with number two had the original iwmfly playing in the background. that said, i thought the point of the recut hits record was for it to be used for such instances?
SpaceJan
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by SpaceJan »

Although I find "Origins 1" quite lackluster...
I also find myself listening to "Fire and Water" more often than I thought.
Maybe because it's Stan's last "(blues)rock" vocal recording?
(and, yes, I'm still wondering why that dead note in the guitar solo wasn't at least auto-tuned!)
"Space-Ace Truckin'" I quite enjoy...Although it doesn't sound as an Ace-penned song at all and I guess it's not an easy task trying to add a twist to what Deep Purple already did in the best way possible.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Always looking forward to a new Ace album, covers or original material. KISS haven't released anything good since Unplugged so Ace is what's left for me as a fan.
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

I really liked Ace's cover of Fox On The Run and I Wanna Go Back on Spaceman. On Origins 1 I liked several of those songs like White Room, Fire And Water, and Bring It On Home.
Elderguy
Banned

Post by Elderguy »

Yeah Fox on the Run wasn’t terrible. The song with Paul was good. White Room was ok, as far as pointless soundalike recreations go. Other than that I don’t get it. I think the cover album option in his current contract was just a good way to ensure he would get off his ass and deliver some product the record company could release. Remember he was promising what eventually came out as Anomaly literally every year from 1990-2009. Nineteen years.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

Most covers albums are pointless, no matter who is doing them, IMHO.

Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy just put one out, called "Cov3r To Cov3r". It was okay, but nothing I'd ever listen to again.

metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

markaberrant wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 am Boring lazy covers without a real producer/engineer. Kiss dorks that peaked in 1977 are loving it.
OUCH!!!

:D
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

markaberrant wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 amBoring lazy covers without a real producer/engineer. Kiss dorks that peaked in 1977 are loving it.
This.
I wouldn't say they're lazy per se but two cover albums in four years ?

Overkill, to be sure.

Steve Hackett for instance only released Genesis Revisited, Part Deux sixteen years after the first.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Cover albums are artists respecting and putting their own spin on classic tunes.
If this was all that Ace was doing these days then I could see it as being a little lazy but even then
at least he'd be actively playing.

In Ace's case he's also been putting out new records with yet another to be released after this LAZY covers record.
Last edited by HOFCity on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Nellcote71 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 am Why can’t you write some paragraphs on Paul’s cover albums?
Attaboy, Nelly - come out swinging with your bottom lip trembling.
Nellcote71 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 am But I thought it was a wise decision by eOne to include 2 cover albums into his contract. They are relatively easy releases for Ace and give home some more time/inspiration to put out original material as well.
Agreed there, it's a good way for him and his record company to make some coin with the absolute minimum of effort.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

markaberrant wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 am Boring lazy covers without a real producer/engineer. Kiss dorks that peaked in 1977 are loving it.
I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

If you want to compare these songs to the original recordings of Guitar heroes that were at their prime, then you obviously won't be happy. Ace isn't Hendrix, Clapton, or Blackmore as a guitarist, and never has been the best singer around. The engineers and producers behind these hits were the best of their time, whereas Ace is having to do this work now on a budget.

If you are the kind of fan who loves Ace's style and has fun hearing his take on these songs, then you might just enjoy it.

Clearly, by my screen name you can see that I'm one of the fans who sprang out of 1977, but I don't take offense at your comment at all. I'm glad I didn't forget how to have the fun I had with KISS back then. Now I've got new KISS related music to look forward to on September 18th, while you do not.
Last edited by Wichita77 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Lazy or not,

At least he's putting out music products/ cover projects as well as new material.

I'm not getting the negativity here.

WTF are KISS putting out these days. Pics of them staying in shape???
markaberrant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by markaberrant »

Wichita77 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:37 am
I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

If you want to compare these songs to the original recordings of Guitar heroes that were at their prime, then you obviously won't be happy. Ace isn't Hendrix, Clapton, or Blackmore as a guitarist, and never has been the best singer around. The engineers and producers behind these hits were the best of their time, whereas Ace is having to do this work now on a budget.

If you are the kind of fan who loves Ace's style and has fun hearing his take on these songs, then you might just enjoy it.

Clearly, by my screen name you can see that I'm one of the fans who sprang out of 1977, but I don't take offense at your comment at all. I'm glad I didn't forget how to have the fun I had with KISS back then. Now I've got new KISS related music to look forward to on September 18th, while you do not.
Luckily the world is full of great exciting new music. I don't have to settle for worn out rockers well past their best before date putting out lame cover tunes.

I have a goddamn half sleeve Ace tattoo on my arm, but I also know shit from shinola.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

HOFCity wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 am
Lazy or not,

At least he's putting out music products/ cover projects as well as new material.

Agree, we should be happy that Ace is giving us new music. I gave Origins Vol. 1 a spin today, it's okay. Fire and Water is good, Spanish Castle Magic and Bring It On Home as well.
Mother Mercury
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mother Mercury »

Lazy or not,

Agreed. Well, up to a point.
As long as any member of the Kiss family is alive and well and putting out new product, that's a great thing. So good for him!

That said, I listened to Space Truckin' once, and didn't feel the need to listen again. Covers albums just aren't for me I guess.
So Cruel

Post by So Cruel »

Ace is closing in on 70, is almost deaf, and years of abuse has left him somewhat damaged. It’s almost a miracle he’s productive at all at this point. Good on him.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

That’s funny , so is Ace
Marriage made in heaven
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

So Cruel wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:36 am Ace is closing in on 70, is almost deaf, and years of abuse has left him somewhat damaged. It’s almost a miracle he’s productive at all at this point. Good on him.
All that doesn't matter, he's lazy.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

I will say this - Ace Frehley is sure as shit a better producer than Paul Stanley. His albums still sound better and are mastered better than Sonic Boom and Monster.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

HOFCity wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am
So Cruel wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:36 am Ace is closing in on 70, is almost deaf, and years of abuse has left him somewhat damaged. It’s almost a miracle he’s productive at all at this point. Good on him.
If he was so lazy - he probably wouldn't do the cover albums at all, but he is completely fulfilling his contract and eOne is happy. He sure as shit is doing more than KISS has been doing in forever.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

markaberrant wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 am
Luckily the world is full of great exciting new music. I don't have to settle for worn out rockers well past their best before date putting out lame cover tunes.

I have a goddamn half sleeve Ace tattoo on my arm, but I also know shit from shinola.
You seem a little uptight about this topic.

My taste in music allows for exciting new music as well as everything between from Segovia to SRV. I am also able to loosen up with a beer and enjoy Ace's take on these classics.

It's fine if you are not able to do that.

To each their own.
Last edited by Wichita77 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Mother Mercury wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 am
Lazy or not,

Agreed. Well, up to a point.
As long as any member of the Kiss family is alive and well and putting out new product, that's a great thing. So good for him!

That said, I listened to Space Truckin' once, and didn't feel the need to listen again. Covers albums just aren't for me I guess.
Even if this covers album and new LP suck the point is he's putting out music.

Believe me, I don't like everything he's put out, far from it.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:18 am
If he was so lazy - he probably wouldn't do the cover albums at all, but he is completely fulfilling his contract and eOne is happy. He sure as shit is doing more than KISS has been doing in forever.
I was joking.

All these lazy comments are comical to me.. he's not only putting this out but also a brand new record.

He doesn't practice ( ....um Origins albums )

He's lazy....but yet is putting out new records ?

What would people be saying about this guy if he was doing none of this but rather posting pics of himself exercising and riding bikes ?
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

HOFCity wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:27 am
I was joking.

All these lazy comments are comical to me.. he's not only putting this out but also a brand new record.

What would people be saying about this guy if he was doing none of this but rather posting pics of himself exercising and riding bikes ?
Some would praise him for exercising, while in the same breath calling Paul "vain" for doing the same. :lol:
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:48 am After checking out Space Truckin’ quite a few times I must say I feel a bit underwhelmed at most of the covers Ace has done this century. In fact, the last really good one in my mind was Do Ya back in 1989. White Room was decent but not a scratch on the outstanding original. Ace used to make great choices for covers; New York Groove, 2,000 Man, Into The Night, Dancin’ With Danger, he often took an obscure song and made it his own. But on the first ORIGINS album and now this new track, I think he’s lost his touch.
I wouldn't throw DANCIN' WITH DANGER in there as a good example. That one never should have made the album. Same with HIDE YOUR HEART.

I don't listen to ORIGINS 1 much. I ordered ORGINS 2. I hope it will be better.

DO YA wasn't bad but it was TOO WELL KNOWN of a song....especially to lead off an album with. Pretty sad Ace's 3 best known solo albums... the lead off single was a COVER song. (NY Groove, Into The NIght & Do Ya). That doesn't speak well of Ace the songwriter.

But at least is out there still recording!

Hell, I'd be HAPPY if Vinnie just put out his version of THE PINK PANTHER theme!
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:31 am
HOFCity wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:27 am
I was joking.

Some would praise him for exercising, while in the same breath calling Paul "vain" for doing the same. :lol:
Lol.

Crazy isn't it.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Definitely! I’m certainly not knocking the guy. All I’m saying is I don’t get the fan adoration for some of this cover stuff because in the past Ace has generally improved on the original. These days he makes me want to turn his off and listen to the original.
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

I don’t think he should have made doing covers his thing to the point of making two volumes of it instead of new material. Or even archival material — doing his own Vault release could have been excellent, as i think most of the unreleased tunes beat a lot of what wound up on the Comet albums.

I’m also thinking covers are a game for the young, the energetic, the dedicated students of rock who have a chance at really elevating the source material. Ace doing covers or rerecording himself is something he’d have done best 30+ years ago. To hear his new Parasite today is just disappointing.
nightwingken
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am Most covers albums are pointless, no matter who is doing them, IMHO.

Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy just put one out, called "Cov3r To Cov3r". It was okay, but nothing I'd ever listen to again.

I enjoyed hearing that, thank you
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

I wasn't aware Dancin with Danger was a cover.
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

Thunderous_Lay wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:43 am
markaberrant wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 amBoring lazy covers without a real producer/engineer. Kiss dorks that peaked in 1977 are loving it.
This.
I wouldn't say they're lazy per se but two cover albums in four years ?

Overkill, to be sure.

Steve Hackett for instance only released Genesis Revisited, Part Deux sixteen years after the first.
Who?
Nellcote71
Banned

Post by Nellcote71 »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:59 pm
Definitely! I’m certainly not knocking the guy.
Oh really? You wrote an entire short story on it :roll:
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Nellcote71 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:41 am
Mr Slow wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:59 pm
Definitely! I’m certainly not knocking the guy.
Oh really? You wrote an entire short story on it :roll:
The irony of you getting all bent out of shape over anybody saying something about Ace is something Alanis should have featured in her song! :lol:

You sit here and bash current KISS all day long and attack anyone that dares to defend them. Yet here you are, twice just in this topic, getting upset about the tiniest bit of criticism towards your boy. Practice what you preach, Nelly.
Elderguy
Banned

Post by Elderguy »

Original version. It wasn’t credited to them on the album but it’s clearly the same song.

Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Elderguy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:47 am It wasn’t credited to them on the album but it’s clearly the same song.
:?: Credits include band member Spencer Proffer plus Streetheart collectively.